• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10 Min Timer

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Why are people so staunchly defending an 8 minute timer.

Whats wrong with changing it to 10? it might result in a better quality of game.

Now, take your answer the above question and apply it to this question.

Why isnt the timer set at 7 minutes?

napZzz

Smash Hero
nothing wrong with 10 min instead of 8
it's just that americans dont like change now that they think obama sucks
I knew obama would fail before he went into office, I was one of the few who wasn't swayed by his charm to mask his true inexperience in office and lack of...everything

10 minute timer combined with that rule of person with more air time loses would **** and timeouts would never happen because when it comes down to it and they know they're gonna lose if they keep playing that way they have to approach

Life

Smash Hero
@Nappy

Learn to not make political references, especially when the rest of your post does not hold up to logic.

@KID

Matches like Diddy/Wario (IIRC) tend to go to 6-7 minutes, so dropping the timer to 7 may (I wouldn't know for sure) interfere in matches where neither player is trying to time out. Timing out should be a legit win condition, but the timer shouldn't be so short that it interferes with matches--basically, the game should not end by timeout unless someone is trying to time out the match.

Here's a counterquestion: Why 9/10 minutes, as opposed to 11?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
@Nappy

Learn to not make political references, especially when the rest of your post does not hold up to logic.

@KID

Matches like Diddy/Wario (IIRC) tend to go to 6-7 minutes, so dropping the timer to 7 may (I wouldn't know for sure) interfere in matches where neither player is trying to time out. Timing out should be a legit win condition, but the timer shouldn't be so short that it interferes with matches--basically, the game should not end by timeout unless someone is trying to time out the match.

This is the reason why I think they should change the timer to 10 min. It's been proven to work in other countries. I thin 10 min is more than enough time to finish a match unless both players are intentionally timing each other out

napZzz

Smash Hero
Hey nappy

It's been made clear by pretty much everyone with a brain that air time limits are one of the most stupid rules ever

Plz lrn2notbescrub kthx
you never answered any of my questions/statements in that aib blog you just ignored it like I said y

obama is worthless

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
People flame BPC because he posts really zealously and has radically different ideas when compared to the rest of the Brawl community.

People flame you because your logic is AWFUL. You literally have no idea how to back up and support a point. You just come up with something dumb, say "Why won't this work?", everyone shoots it down, then you STILL say, "Why won't this work?".

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
People flame BPC because he posts really zealously and has radically different ideas when compared to the rest of the Brawl community.

People flame you because your logic is AWFUL. You literally have no idea how to back up and support a point. You just come up with something dumb, say "Why won't this work?", everyone shoots it down, then you STILL say, "Why won't this work?".
You guys never give me a reason why my rule sets don't work. Instead you guys tell me "how is this better than our current rule set?" or "Play to win". Then we just go around in circles.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Really? I don't even have to leave this PAGE to prove that wrong.

InferiorityComplex said:

To which you responded

SaveMeJebus said:
This is the reason why I think they should change the timer to 10 min. It's been proven to work in other countries. I thin 10 min is more than enough time to finish a match unless both players are intentionally timing each other out
The first reason is COMPLETELY subjective, AND you didn't even include your sources.

The second reason WAS ENTIRELY OPINION.

ANDDDDDD, To make matters worse, you continue to ignore the most basic logical aspect of this rule.

Timing out is not, has never, and WILL never be a less legitimate condition than removing all of your opponents stocks.

If both players want to intentionally time each other out, they are COMPLETELY PERMITTED, and in fact, ENCOURAGED to win by any means necessary.

You can't seem to see past this simple fact and continue to try to push this incredibly FLAWED ruleset based entirely on YOUR conception of how you THINK Brawl should be played.

Your timer fixes very few problems, and in fact CREATES SOME. (Longer timer = longer matches if they DO go to time)

THIS (among other reasons) is why your ruleset is bad, and it's what we've been telling you from the start.

On top of that, you didn't even refute the subjectivity issue. Why not 11, or 12, or 13, or 14 or 15? Hint: Because it's SUBJECTIVE.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

Really? I don't even have to leave this PAGE to prove that wrong.

To which you responded

The first reason is COMPLETELY subjective, AND you didn't even include your sources.

The second reason WAS ENTIRELY OPINION.

ANDDDDDD, To make matters worse, you continue to ignore the most basic logical aspect of this rule.

Timing out is not, has never, and WILL never be a less legitimate condition than removing all of your opponents stocks.

If both players want to intentionally time each other out, they are COMPLETELY PERMITTED, and in fact, ENCOURAGED to win by any means necessary.

You can't seem to see past this simple fact and continue to try to push this incredibly FLAWED ruleset based entirely on YOUR conception of how you THINK Brawl should be played.

Your timer fixes very few problems, and in fact CREATES SOME. (Longer timer = longer matches if they DO go to time)

THIS (among other reasons) is why your ruleset is bad, and it's what we've been telling you from the start.

On top of that, you didn't even refute the subjectivity issue. Why not 11, or 12, or 13, or 14 or 15? Hint: Because it's SUBJECTIVE.
I don't know why everyone is saying that I am against time outs. I think that time outs are an important part of the game. What I have a problem with is people that use the timer for the sole purpose of timing out and not putting in any effort to try to fight the opponent. What are we going to do if timing out becomes the only way of winning a match? how long is a national going to last if every single person decides that they would rather get timed out than to approach a character that puts you in a situation were once you loose the the lead, you are pretty much skrewed?

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I don't know why everyone is saying that I am against time outs. I think that time outs are an important part of the game. What I have a problem with is people that use the timer for the sole purpose of timing out and not putting in any effort to try to fight the opponent. What are we going to do if timing out becomes the only way of winning a match? how long is a national going to last if every single person decides that they would rather get timed out than to approach a character that puts you in a situation were once you loose the the lead, you are pretty much skrewed?
Exactly how is adding a couple minutes to the timer is going to solve this?
The last time I checked, if someone can stall against you for 6/7 minutes, then he can do it for a couple more. :p

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't know why everyone is saying that I am against time outs. I think that time outs are an important part of the game.
I thin 10 min is more than enough time to finish a match unless both players are intentionally timing each other out
You argue that the timer should be extended to reduce the likelihood of a timeout.

You also say that 10 minutes is MORE than enough time to finish a match, which leaves me to believe 8 is also plenty, since the difference is almost nothing.

Since 10 minutes is MORE than enough (implying we already have enough), you're increasing it SOLELY to decrease the viability of timing out, which is biased and un-just limitation. If you claim otherwise, WHY ARE YOU INCREASING IT?

What I have a problem with is people that use the timer for the sole purpose of timing out and not putting in any effort to try to fight the opponent. What are we going to do if timing out becomes the only way of winning a match? how long is a national going to last if every single person decides that they would rather get timed out than to approach a character that puts you in a situation were once you loose the the lead, you are pretty much skrewed?
Raziek said:

Clearly you don't understand why you're wrong.

The situation you just described above is COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE and NO LESS LEGAL than a conventional win.

If you can win without actually fighting, why wouldn't you?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Exactly how is adding a couple minutes to the timer is going to solve this?
The last time I checked, if someone can stall against you for 6/7 minutes, then he can do it for a couple more. :p
The reason why I suggested a 10 min timer was so that matches that usually end in time can be finished. This only becomes a problem when you have players who abuse the timer and run away for 10 whole mins. No one has mentioned anything about what would happen if all/the majority of matches when't to time out all of a sudden.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Why is it a bad thing if a match times out and neither player was trying to time the match out?

I have seen street fighter matches go to time despite neither player attempting to time out. Does that mean there was some sort of injustice or the lesser player won? No it just means the match hit the timer, cool story.

I actually think the timer should be lower. 6-7 minutes is ideal in my opinion.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidXHA8c7Ic

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Why is it a bad thing if a match times out and neither player was trying to time the match out?

I have seen street fighter matches go to time despite neither player attempting to time out. Does that mean there was some sort of injustice or the lesser player won? No it just means the match hit the timer, cool story.

I actually think the timer should be lower. 6-7 minutes is ideal in my opinion.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidXHA8c7Ic
I think that if you give certain characters enough time to finish a match, It should only be fair to give all characters enough time to finish a match. The problem with this is that most players will just use those extra 2 min to make the match last longer through the use of time outs. Also, you can't compare a time out that lasts less than 2 min to a time out that last 8 min. that is a huge difference and when comparing these two games, An entire set in street fighter is equivalent to one match in brawl.

In short: One match in Street Fighter is not equivalent to one match in brawl. If anything, it is more equivalent to one stock in brawl.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think that if you give certain characters enough time to finish a match, It should only be fair to give all characters enough time to finish a match. The problem with this is that most players will just use those extra 2 min to make the match last longer through the use of time outs. Also, you can't compare a time out that lasts less than 2 min to a time out that last 8 min. that is a huge difference and when comparing these two games, An entire set in street fighter is equivalent to one match in brawl.

In short: One match in Street Fighter is not equivalent to one match in brawl. If anything, it is more equivalent to one stock in brawl.
We should play 1 stock matches with a 99 second timer then. On Bridge of Eldin.

NNID
Budget_Player
you never answered any of my questions/statements in that aib blog you just ignored it like I said y

obama is worthless
Because I answered it in the last two pages of blog comments in the argument against isai. As I said, it's like discrediting evolution with pathetic strawmen and then expecting the scientist to refute you, when at the same time he already did 5 minutes ago earlier in the thread.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Congratulations, the fact that you STILL don't get it has just earned you THE FIRST spot on my ignore list.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Jebus just give it up

This goes deeper then just time

you have to get into players minds and think

regardless of the time people will still play as gay as possible

you could set the timer to 20 mins and People would still attempt time outs...maybe not as much but it would still happen

there's nothing wrong with 8 minutes...adding to minute to the timer does not dissuade Time out it just prolongs them. takiing off a minute from the timer would probably encourage timeouts so thats a bad idea also

also raziek is right..you really have been disproven like 8 times in this thread but you just have selective reading...after BPC ***** ur logic for free all of your post seemed irrelevant to the point where this thread should be closed Imo.

tl:dr...there isnt one...read the **** post

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Glad BPC and TKO are making my posts for me here. Good work, guys.

I don't really think there's technically anything wrong with a 10 minute timer, except that it just makes tournaments take that much longer. It wouldn't really fix timeouts though, as TKO said, and so it would really only make tournaments take longer and do nothing else short of that.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
lmao MMM regardless of what we say this ******* just doesnt understand his narrow minded view of the game can't compute higher levels of play

I have figured this equation

The farther you get in tourney the more gayer people start to play..but its not even more gayer...its more patient really...because in this game picking and choosing when to attack and when to chill is pretty much the basic key to winning

1st place=m2k=aggros scrubs then gays good people
last place=Jebus=complains about how the game is universally played because he doesnt wanna play patient and his character cant kill

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I pretend that I'm a super-white, 40+ year old, homosexual business analyst whenever I play this game. That's how gay I try to play. I ****ing love it. lol

why is marth's grab infinite on earthbound and D3's infinite chaingrab banned then? I'm pretty sure just like how the timer "came with the game", these ifnites did also
They're banned at MLG and some tournaments because people want a crowd-pleasing game.

They should NEVER be banned under any circumstances, but they are.
They are banned because people are scrubs. It is a powerful shame that MLG put bans onto these legitimate techniques because it allows people an excuse to cave into public demand for the removal of that which is fine.
****, you guys are doing work in here. I come in thinking that I need to lay down some logical-***-whoopings but you guys are doing it for me. Awesome stuff.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Hehe...a guy who plays a character with an endless spawn of an item that, on contact, limits the victim to a small handful of telegraphed options is complaining about time outs and other gayness in this game? LOL.

I'd refute it myself, but others have already torn the argument down. Get better at the game or quit, it's that simple.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
there's nothing wrong with 8 minutes...adding to minute to the timer does not dissuade Time out it just prolongs them. takiing off a minute from the timer would probably encourage timeouts so thats a bad idea also
This paragraph right here is the ultimate explanation why we don't change the time from 8 minutes. If anyone doesn't get it after this, then I don't know if he ever can. Your post was delicious, might I add. :lick:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
As far as I can tell, it seems the major reason why people frown upon 10 minutes is because it would cause tourny inefficiency due to matches taking to long to finish. I... guess thats a good reason? It's just funny how people exploded to the idea of changing the timer like the number 8 had such divine number. I guess because 7 was to whimpy to stop the almighty 8 from devouring 9. Seven "ate" nine, har har. Bad joke yes I know. Meh, oh well...
Teh Future said:
It's a shame, I really would've liked to see the real winner after that. (Omitting the fact that Time Outs are a legitament way of winning
I mainly state that cause I'll surely get flammed if I don't >_>)

Top Bottom