• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10 Reasons I should Buy/Play Brawl?

X1-12

Smash Champion
Okay guys here's the low down

I'm a Melee Player and I have played Brawl around my friend's house occasionally but couldn't stand it mainly because everything was so different and not what I was used to but i thought, in fairness it might be worth playing and getting used to, I've watched brawl video on youtube but it was hardly exciting, so basically

Why should I buy/Play Brawl?

UberMario

Smash Master
1. There are more characters
2. You can play against friends online.
3. There are more bosses than in Melee.
4. You can play with Gamecube controllers, just like in Melee.
5. You can customize the controller (to a degree)
6. The gravity is lower, so "aerial battles" are easier to accomplish and last longer.
7. There are more stages, and several use different, unique ideas.
8. You can make your own custom stages (Probably one of the best reasons)
9. Brawl has nearly ten times the amount of music Melee has.
10. The Brawl CPUs are WAY smarter and more human-like than the Melee CPUs.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
11. it's fun
the whole reason I bought it...
well okay... I also had reason
12. Pit is playable

X1-12

Smash Champion
but what about the lack of crazy and satisfying combos you can pull off in melee does anything compare to that in brawl?

-Ran

Smash Master
Okay guys here's the low down

I'm a Melee Player and I have played Brawl around my friend's house occasionally but couldn't stand it mainly because everything was so different and not what I was used to but i thought, in fairness it might be worth playing and getting used to, I've watched brawl video on youtube but it was hardly exciting, so basically

Why should I buy/Play Brawl?
By Melee player, what do you mean? Did you utilize all of the tech skill such as Wave Dashing, L Canceling, etc consistently? Was one up Tilt a kill by a Marth player against a Space Animal?

I'd also check and see if there are any areas in your region that have a tournament scene for Brawl before purchasing it. I find Brawl to be a great game due to the community of players I see every other day, and compete in tournament with. Without tournaments, I wouldn't even bother with Brawl.

X1-12

Smash Champion
By Melee player, what do you mean? Did you utilize all of the tech skill such as Wave Dashing, L Canceling, etc consistently? Was one up Tilt a kill by a Marth player against a Space Animal?

I'd also check and see if there are any areas in your region that have a tournament scene for Brawl before purchasing it. I find Brawl to be a great game due to the community of players I see every other day, and compete in tournament with. Without tournaments, I wouldn't even bother with Brawl.
Yeah I do All the ATs, wavedashing, L-canceling etc without really thinking about it, and theres a monthly joint melee and brawl tournament nearish me The scene isnt really the issuse there's melee players around and if i did play brawl, either competitively or just for fun i'd still mainly play melee. but is it worth buying just for fun?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, I'd still say that it's worth playing/buying. Like all the Smash Bros games, you can pretty much expect an experience that will keep you entertained for months if not years and is still one of the most fun multiplayer experiences out there whether you decide to play it competitively or casually. If you plan on beating the game 100%, you'll easily spend a good 3 or 4 months trying to do so. If you have a competitive scene near you, that's gives you another reason to pick it up because, even with Brawl's flaws, there's still a strong chance that you'll have fun competeing and, even if you don't, online tournaments aren't a bad option unless you have a crap connection then I'd say don't even bother.

If I had to make a list as to why to buy Brawl:

1. Awesome soundtrack.
2. Will easily take you a few months to beat the game 100%.
3. Has a ton of replay value that may keep you playing for years.
4. One of the best multiplayer games for the Wii.
5. Online play (as long as you have a good connection as well as those you go up against)
6. Very dynamic stages
7. Basically a Nintendo fan's wet dream when it comes to characters and unlockables.
8. Plenty of single player content too.
9. Being more connected with this community for playing it is definately a plus too.
10. C'mon dude, it's Smash Bros. Enough said. :laugh:

GreenFox

Smash Ace
It's different and if you love melee you atleast like this because atleast the same basic principles apply

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
brawl has 100x more content then melee, and a fair bit of it is hard. that alone would make me buy it if i was in your position

Laem

Smash Champion
what this guy needs to hear is that brawl does in fact have combo's and that you can still do crazy *** **** with characters like diddy. so there u go, now go n buy it

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
1. You can hack it,
2. for textures,
3. songs,
4. and Brawl+.

Done in 4 reasons, you don't need anymore than that.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
You lost me on the first post; the reason you couldn't stand it should've been the same reason to give it a try; it wasn't the same. It's different.

I don't know about you, but I haven't liked melee since loong before Brawl came out, and Brawl seems a lot better for me.

Besides, if you don't like standalone Brawl and you have and SD card, it's not like there aren't several mods to it such as Brawl+ and Balanced Brawl that make it maybe more like what you want.

4nace

Smash Ace
but what about the lack of crazy and satisfying combos you can pull off in melee does anything compare to that in brawl?
How lame....
How Lame......
Sounds like you've made up your mind. Why would you make this thread?

Please don't buy Brawl. The community doesn't need more Brawl haters that play it because everyone else is.

If you don't enjoy the game then do something else. It is after all a GAME.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Yes, brawl is a different game from melee and pretty unbalanced but it can be fun for a period of time. Some people I know hated it at first but started to like it later on. Others I know liked it at first and then started to hate it. Its hard to know whether or not you will like Brawl just from playing it a few times.

I would actually suggest getting it because if you do end up liking it then you will be very happy you did. If you don't end up liking it you can get one of the many hacked additions of it which may be more fun to you. It may benefit you now that brawl+ seems to actually be picking up some momentum when it comes to being played in tournaments.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
1. Awesome soundtrack.
2. Will easily take you a few months to beat the game 100%.
3. Has a ton of replay value that may keep you playing for years.
4. One of the best multiplayer games for the Wii.
5. Online play (as long as you have a good connection as well as those you go up against)
6. Very dynamic stages
7. Basically a Nintendo fan's wet dream when it comes to characters and unlockables.
8. Plenty of single player content too.
9. Being more connected with this community for playing it is definately a plus too.
10. C'mon dude, it's Smash Bros. Enough said. :laugh:
To add to more:
11. You can have a file replacement code AND Still have regular brawl. Brawl+ Anyone? Texture Hacks? The possibilities are rather close to endless, and there's a lot of user made content already out there. It just takes some time to download all the stuff but from someone who only has Stage Texture Hacks; I can say myself It was completely worth it
12. Stage Builder. (Limited but still addicting, especially with hacks)
13. One of the best games on the Wii; Besides, what else are you honestly going to get for it?
14. Doubles. Do I need to say more?
15. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lep3BQxrg6o < That. I know It falls under "Awesome Soundtrack" But you can't say that it's not awesome.

So let's see: One of the best Wii games along with one of the better multiplayer games in general with even lots of content to keep you onto the single player. Furthermore, If you're not satisfied or want more outside of that, you can research about homebrew and add even more, like say, making it more like Melee.

That, and it has AMAZING FINAL BOSS BATTLE THEME. Yeah; That's enough to justify a purchase.

X1-12

Smash Champion
hoo boy...

You lost me on the first post; the reason you couldn't stand it should've been the same reason to give it a try; it wasn't the same. It's different.

I don't know about you, but I haven't liked melee since loong before Brawl came out, and Brawl seems a lot better for me.

Besides, if you don't like standalone Brawl and you have and SD card, it's not like there aren't several mods to it such as Brawl+ and Balanced Brawl that make it maybe more like what you want.
Sorry if it confused you, i meant it was not what i was used to and maybe i'm just stuck in my ways but if i've got something good (melee) then i get something radically different then it seems like its not gonna be so awesome. Also it'll take quite a bit of getting used to as characters moves will be different etc I mean i know pretty much every characters every move in melee but its gonna be wayy different which is quite a bit of effort, thus it seems less worth buying it

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Why would you make this thread?

Please don't buy Brawl. The community doesn't need more Brawl haters that play it because everyone else is.

If you don't enjoy the game then do something else. It is after all a GAME.
woah calm down I started this thread to see if anything could compare i was expecting some responses like well if you're a competetive melee player brawl is still worth playing for fun etc I didnt just start this to go 'look! i hate brawl!' so don't just put me in some stereotype of typical melee player who hates brawl, jeez' I've barely played it, its hardly enough to say i hate it. I said it was lame twice because i was told that what i would say is the best aspect of melee has been replaces by some things that really aren't that cool

Yes, brawl is a different game from melee and pretty unbalanced but it can be fun for a period of time. Some people I know hated it at first but started to like it later on. Others I know liked it at first and then started to hate it. Its hard to know whether or not you will like Brawl just from playing it a few times.

I would actually suggest getting it because if you do end up liking it then you will be very happy you did. If you don't end up liking it you can get one of the many hacked additions of it which may be more fun to you. It may benefit you now that brawl+ seems to actually be picking up some momentum when it comes to being played in tournaments.
Thank you man, this was pretty much the kind of comments i was looking for.

To add to more:
11. You can have a file replacement code AND Still have regular brawl. Brawl+ Anyone? Texture Hacks? The possibilities are rather close to endless, and there's a lot of user made content already out there. It just takes some time to download all the stuff but from someone who only has Stage Texture Hacks; I can say myself It was completely worth it
12. Stage Builder. (Limited but still addicting, especially with hacks)
13. One of the best games on the Wii; Besides, what else are you honestly going to get for it?
14. Doubles. Do I need to say more?
15. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lep3BQxrg6o < That. I know It falls under "Awesome Soundtrack" But you can't say that it's not awesome.

So let's see: One of the best Wii games along with one of the better multiplayer games in general with even lots of content to keep you onto the single player. Furthermore, If you're not satisfied or want more outside of that, you can research about homebrew and add even more, like say, making it more like Melee.

That, and it has AMAZING FINAL BOSS BATTLE THEME. Yeah; That's enough to justify a purchase.

hrm, that music is pretty epic.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Play/buy brawl if:

1: You are bad at melee and don't want to learn techskill
2: You want to be able to compete with the best in your region after practicing for a day
3: You need help going to sleep
4: You are about to turn 9.

Sorry I can't think of 6 more.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
You can MAKE reasons to buy it. Also known as the Smash Workshop. Oh, I love modding so much. And not to mention that even though Nintendo doesn't like it, they can't deny it's perfectly legal, as we aren't robbing them of purchases or money, primarily because they don't offer opportunities like this. :p

Not to mention the new air dodging is actually really fun! If not a little bit spammable >_<
Play/buy brawl if:

2: You want to be able to compete with the best in your region after practicing for a day

Sorry I can't think of 6 more.
Wow, harsh, that may have hurt me on the inside just a little. Maybe you should actually try to delve more into Brawl (and the hacking scene) rather than just scratch the surface of the cover art and read comments online and then make your judgments on that.

Don't get me wrong, I love melee, I think it plays a lot faster and more fun than Brawl, but Brawl has just as many plussides to it's game play (like fun aerial battles) that Melee doesn't have, they just don't show as blatantly as melee's plus sides.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
hrm, that music is pretty epic.
Glad I could link an example.

But yeah, do get it. Even If you don't play it as much as Melee, It's still worth it for the amount of cool things you can do. I bought Smash 64 for 25$. Do I play it often compared to Melee/Brawl? No. Is it still fun every now and then? To say no would be a crime.

1. Nobody said you couldn't play both.
2. More cash!
3. To stay awake longer?
4. 9 year olds hack?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
2 reasons:
1.To experience a different version of smash when you get bored of melee outside of ssb64
2. To get brawl+, rofl

BSP

Smash Legend
Brawl may not impress you as much as meleee from a competitive view, but it's still a great game and is very much worth the money. You can even try Brawl +.

Holty

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you know I'm a melee player and I gotta say, the newest set of Brawl+ is pretty dam good.
Only problem is, he's from England. So, for B+, he'd only have access to the old 4.1 version rather than the latest 5.0.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
If you still need more reasons, just look at the Smash Workshop section. You'll find about 50 reasons (if not more) in there, even without Brawl+. Here are some:

1. Animation creator!
2. Soon, model injector!
3. Moveset hacking!
4. Model swapping!
5. Codes!

Holty

Smash Apprentice
If you still need more reasons, just look at the Smash Workshop section. You'll find about 50 reasons (if not more) in there, even without Brawl+. Here are some:

1. Animation creator!
2. Soon, model injector!
3. Moveset hacking!
4. Model swapping!
5. Codes!
Sorry, it's probably a nooby question, but...what's a model injector do exactly to the models?

humble

Smash Ace
If you enjoyed Melee, I will give you 15 reasons to play Brawl.

1. Diddy Kong
2. Ike
3. King Dedede
4. Lucario
5. Lucas
6. Meta Knight
7. Pikmin & Olimar
8. Pit
9. Pokemon Trainer
10. R.O.B.
11. Solid Snake
12. Sonic the Hedgehog
13. Wario
14. Wolf
15. And all the characters that were in Melee are back (minus a few clones and M2)

Top Bottom