• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10 things that bother me about samus:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
just some fairly minor things that "bother" me about samus. it's not really serious; it was more of a "for fun" thing... though they really DO bother me slightly:

1. why are her shots blue? aren't they almost always yellow (i know they CAN be blue, but when they're blue they're still not similar in appearance at all to the shots in brawl)?

2. her phazon suit is |______________| much sexier than her dark suit. why didn't they use that one? :p

3. they added crawling in brawl... so why can't samus go into morph ball mode as a crawl?

4. screw attack shouldn't do drill-type damage. it should have a singular, powerful hit. then again, we don't really know what happens when an enemy ISN'T instantly killed by it, so i guess it's possible that it should do drill-type damage... it's just a little far-fetched game-wise :p

5. this is more of a general tether thing: i like how tether's sweetspot the ledge, but why can't they hook only the sides of stages when the ledge is stolen? a lot of characters with recovery issues would have greatly benefited if this were not removed (characters who aren't "top tier" anyway, so it shouldn't screw the game up)

6. where's the shinespark D:? ok, ok... she would be totally broken with this move... or at least, that's how it SHOULD have been, but then again... screw attack isn't broken, and that move more than any should be broken..... XD... could've made a cool final smash though. you angle it up diagonal or left-right for a giant burst staight in that direction. maybe you could use it twice in a row.... *daydream*

7. why don't they ever for sure base the suit on one in a game? they've been basing characters on most recent models... so why doesn't she look anything like in corruption?... or at least, mp2?

8. what is with that green suit? was there ever a time when samus was green...? anyway, i guess this one is just there fault for inventing green team to begin with :p... so it can't be helped.

9. how come her cannon can launch fire bursts? why didn't they just do something else for usmash/fair/dtilt?

10. why do fully-charged shots disappear? i mean, you took all that time to fully charge them and they still disappear. really, this one doesn't matter at all, because if you're that far from an enemy, you probably should NOT be shooting a charge shot at them... but it's still minutely bothersome.

Astrobuoy

Smash Rookie
I agree that they could have done more with samus.

why can't she direct her shots like others can?

Or use different beams?

Or the charge dash? why we get a wimpy normal shoulder charge?

Different suits. The dark samus look is awesome, why not include it?

Why make switching suits so dangerous to do as to make it almost irrelevant?
Being able to switch would have made samus a much more viable characther.

There a whole catalog of games to draw from, I wished they'd given her some more features.

Still loves ya but Sammy...

Yerka90

Smash Rookie
Why is samus missiles weaker than snakes. Samus blow up planets and monsters thanks to her missiles. But snake is using the nikita one time ... and that is to blow up a friggin fusebox ... PATHETIC SAKURAI ... PATHETIC

And yes she should have another final smash. Like the powerbomb. Expands and explodes, suck in opponents and there should be send flying.

If I were working in nintendo i would have done a better job with the characters (ridley man ... ridley)

Phazonin

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Samus got the shaft. Nerfed, uninspired FS, she looks exactly the same as in Melee, with a shiny paintjob, etc.

Samus is still godly though.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Yeah, Samus got the shaft. Nerfed, uninspired FS, she looks exactly the same as in Melee, with a shiny paintjob, etc.

Samus is still godly though.
I loved how she looked in melee, but in the metroid prime games, she looks like a true hero. That's how she should look.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Isn't ZSS's FS the chargespark? I could be mistaken.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
my bad, i meant, shinespark.. the thing in metroid when you have limited health and you turn into that orb and recharge your life at the expense of your ammo.. haha sorry

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
my bad, i meant, shinespark.. the thing in metroid when you have limited health and you turn into that orb and recharge your life at the expense of your ammo.. haha sorry
shinespark is when you store energy from a speed boost and rocket straight in a direction until you hit a wall.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I never really played metroid.. just watched my little brother run around. Apologies..

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
I really have to agree with pretty much every said in your list. I think that the makers of brawl are not giving as much attention so samus as other characters. For one, why is she still based off of super metroid? Yes, I know, super metroid was insanely awesome and one of my all time favourite games, but if the other characters are based off of their new games, why cant she?
Another thing. There are trophies in the game based off of her various Prime series suits. I mean come on! The basic model is right there! If I remember correctly, theres a varia, gravity, dark and light suit trophies (dont remember if theres a PED one). In my opinion, she should have been based off of her Metroid Prime version.
Also agreeing with the stupidity concerning her beams. Her power beam shots are yellow are they not? So why they have appeared blue in every smash bros game, I dont know. On a similar note, Samus should use her different beams, wave, ice, plasma etc. (I'm refering to if she were based off of MP).
Is an MP samus were here, her FS could be the phazon beam or something like that.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
True on all of those things good sir, but if I recall correctly she starts out Super Metroid in the green suit. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think that was the case.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
True on all of those things good sir, but if I recall correctly she starts out Super Metroid in the green suit. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think that was the case.
no, it's just the regular power suit... which is palish yellow. with the bizarre colors of zebes, the suit sometimes looks green.

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's Samus is not based of super metroid, but rather Zero Mission's (of which is a mix of super and prime). It made sense to do this because ZSS is from Zero Mission also. (Although like many, I would have preferred strictly the Prime variations)

And yeah, the power suit is yellow with the shading using olive colours.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
3. they added crawling in brawl... so why can't samus go into morph ball mode as a crawl?
Y'know, I had the very same thought a few months ago, made me rage for a while.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Y'know, I had the very same thought a few months ago, made me rage for a while.
I thought of this too!! It makes you wonder if Sakurai and his team were even thinking when they made this game, I mean they missed some obvious stuff that should have been included. I would have loved the morph ball.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Samus clone for ssb4! That way we can enjoy two different play styles of our favorite heroine. Also, I want a white costume for Samus. Replace that stupid pink costume >=(

Things that bother me:

1) In melee, her suit looked like it was made of plastic. However, when she attacks you, it feels like you're getting hit with metal. In brawl, her suit looks like the shiniest metal on earth. But when you get attacked, it feels like you're getting hit with... you guessed it... plastic :(

2) Wario gets an alternate set of costumes because the players missed the original model. Well you know what? I miss Samus' MP2:E and MPH model. Guess what I got?

3) Samus is carrying at least 80 kg of extra weight in that suit. However, she's the 2nd slowest faller in the game. Zamus who weighs significantly less falls faster than Samus. Her suit doesn't slow down her fall speed. In the games, her gravity suit actually lets her fall faster in aquatic environments. Nothing in her arsenal is there to make her more floaty. =/

4) Almost every multi-hit attack in the game sucks foes into the following hits. If we ignore Samus' upsmash, then every multi-hit attack in the game would follow that principle.

5) Samus' zair is twice as long as her grappling beam on the ground. Why?

'Fro

Smash Lord
She's not the only one....

Ike, for example, is based off of Fire Emblem: Path of radiance for the GC, in hia appearance as a Ranger. However, he has Ragnell, which he didn't acquire until he was promoted to a Lord. He's also much slower than he is in FE.Also, his Aether technique is supposed to end in a back-flipping sword slash after he hit the ground. Samus wasn't the only one who got shafted.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
a couple things after reading your posts:

1. the zm suit may have been more bulky than prime 3's suit, but it was horribly represented by being cartoonishly bulky. ugh. her shoulderpads are ENORMOUS like in super metroid (her stance is also reminiscent of super metroid)... her appearance was much more "organic" and flexible in zero mission, so why didn't they make her awesome like that :p? oh well, she's still better than melee samus >_>

2. yeah i wouldn't mind her terrible falling speed if she would have been more of a tank character. or, i wouldn't mind her being such a non-tank character if she had a faster falling speed.

3. did i already say that phazon suit is so much sexier than the dark suit? if i did, i don't think i can stress this enough.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
She's not the only one....

Ike, for example, is based off of Fire Emblem: Path of radiance for the GC, in hia appearance as a Ranger. However, he has Ragnell, which he didn't acquire until he was promoted to a Lord. He's also much slower than he is in FE.Also, his Aether technique is supposed to end in a back-flipping sword slash after he hit the ground. Samus wasn't the only one who got shafted.
Too true my friend. And I have to agree with what was said above, it seems as though the creators werent thinking when they made samus and a few other characters.
If wario is allowed to have a different skin, then samus should have a different skin for the differnt suits ie: fusion suit, dark suit, PED suit, light suit etc.

And for the bit about Ike. I'm a FE fan, so yea, I know what you mean when the Ike in brawl is a bit off. There should at least be a colour option to make him look like a lord, if not make him look like a lord normally and have his ranger colour as an alt. Just imagine if aether had the same effect as in the game, heavy damage followed by life steal, he would be so broken if he had that lol.

3. did i already say that phazon suit is so much sexier than the dark suit? if i did, i don't think i can stress this enough
YES! someone agrees with me! most people say her dark suit looks better. phazon all the way.

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
Something you guys havent mentioned that bothers me in the smash bros games is that her blaster is so slow when you shoot uncharged shots, like couldn't they make you shoot in 3 shot bursts each time you fire and make it faster, and then if you hold the button you will charge a shot, which can be kept for later (kinda like in hunters).

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Another thing:

Why can't Samus run and charge her beam at the same time? She does it all the time in her own games!

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I thought of this too!! It makes you wonder if Sakurai and his team were even thinking when they made this game, I mean they missed some obvious stuff that should have been included. I would have loved the morph ball.
Um, the team had other characters to worry about too. It's not all about Samus. Besides, she is much truer to her games than a lot of other characters. Just look at Ganondorf, ZSS, spacies, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Toon Link, Snake, Pit, or Sheik. At least Samus's moves are, at their core, based off her actual history and not some Smash-conceived crap.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
Something you guys havent mentioned that bothers me in the smash bros games is that her blaster is so slow when you shoot uncharged shots, like couldn't they make you shoot in 3 shot bursts each time you fire and make it faster, and then if you hold the button you will charge a shot, which can be kept for later (kinda like in hunters).
I love this idea. Here uncharged shots should either a) able to be fired rapidly like fox's blaster(she does so in all her games) or b)able to fire in bursts like in hunters.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
this is like the crazy "why cant samus do this" thread lol...i wanna play!
why cant samus cook me breakfast in the morning in her zero suit outfit? (and i mean..zero suit..)
how come samus doesnt talk in game?
what would happen if samus dyed her hair black? >.<
WHAT IF SAMUS WAS PUERTO RICAN?!?

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
this is like the crazy "why cant samus do this" thread lol...i wanna play!
why cant samus cook me breakfast in the morning in her zero suit outfit? (and i mean..zero suit..)
how come samus doesnt talk in game?
what would happen if samus dyed her hair black? >.<
WHAT IF SAMUS WAS PUERTO RICAN?!?
Because, she's already cooking me my breakfast XD.
She doesnt talk because she doesnt need to. Besides, you should you talk when your missles can do the talking for you? :D
Samus with black hair? Doesnt fit her character in my opinion.
Puerto rican Samus? Nuh-uh, doesnt work.

crazygoji

Smash Rookie
I have recently been thinking up a better moveset for her. Jeez, they could've done better than just adding the Super Missiles...

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
People said it already, but Samus should be able to aim her charge blast. That and the whole morph ball crawl I thought was going to be a given when I heard about crawling. Wah~

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
They totally should've made the final smash either power bomb (that would be so ****ing awesome, just the whole stage explodes, guaranteed death) or the hyper beam like when the Huge ****ing metroid in Super metriod kills itself for you and we go all shiny and all like "***** GET THE **** OUTTA MY WAY IMA BLAST ALL YOU FOOLS" It would be like wario man, but every attack is her beam and you can aim it wherever, and it hits 50 and 2 hits kill you.

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
hyper beam can be used anywhere. phazon beam is a better FS. Maybe something like marths FS in projectile form.

about the morph ball crawling, samus must be able to dtilt without moving much, (see the other crawlers) ie in morph ball form, and her dtilt would be different.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
Smart bombs may have come from some other game but they remind me of powerbombs quite a bit. Powerbombs are a bit too bland for a final smash. I would have preferred the gun ship/ bombing run.

Without samus being able to aim her cannon, a hyper beam final smash wouldn't KO nearly as much as the zero laser does.

Is it just me or is the charge beam just a 2D sprite? why can't it be yellow and more importantly, shiny and kick arse like lucarios aura sphere.

Why doesn't the dash attack make samus accelerate and turn her suit blue like she does with speed booster in other games.

Fusion suit doesn't have shoulder armor and the visor was different. Dark suit had "disks" for it's shoulder armor. They should have the varia/gravity version of the fusion suit for green teams.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Anyone consider the Shinespark as a FS? I was thinking along the lines of how Falcon's currently works in-game; like having some attack required to connect then shifting to a scene with Samus hurling at you at like Mach 50 or something.

The bombing run & powerbomb ideas would have been cool as well.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
hyper beam can be used anywhere. phazon beam is a better FS. Maybe something like marths FS in projectile form.

about the morph ball crawling, samus must be able to dtilt without moving much, (see the other crawlers) ie in morph ball form, and her dtilt would be different.
lol, her dtilt doesn't make sense as it is :p

since when could samus shoot short-ranged fire out of her arm cannon?

Top Bottom