• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

100 lucas tricks (25% complete!)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Any chance you could use this?

Rope Snake Edgehog
- Best used against anyone going for a ledge, if you can't stall to preserve invinciblity frames.
- Works against things like Ike's Quickdraw and any horizontal recovery.
- Can drop and instantly regrab to gain more frames, but only works 3 times until you touch solid ground again.

Levitas

the moon
I find that really difficult due to the fact that lucas hangs so close to the edge, the snake can be hit on the edge, and the amount of invincibility frames you gain from regrabbing are minimal.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Daww... I'll keep trying. It's proved useful a few times for me.
But I guess it's not really a trick.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I find that really difficult due to the fact that lucas hangs so close to the edge, the snake can be hit on the edge, and the amount of invincibility frames you gain from regrabbing are minimal.
Not really, it's basically the same thing applied from any character that can tether.

You basically regrab the ledge instantly, I've hogged Marth before with it, among others.

Levitas

the moon
Write up a description for it and I'll add it, but it's definitely worse than ZSS or Sheik by a LOT.

They can just continue to hang against directional recoveries that aren't coming in from directly below, while lucas can't do that.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Write up a description for it and I'll add it, but it's definitely worse than ZSS or Sheik by a LOT.

They can just continue to hang against directional recoveries that aren't coming in from directly below, while lucas can't do that.
I believe what he was going for was the fact that you can easily renew your ledge invincibility frames.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Not exactly that. But it's a common technique with Samus and Link mains. Lucas can do it too, so why not?
Anyone going directly for the ledge can still be tricked into this. Falco's phantasm and Ike's Quick Draw often have to go for the ledge. It's still useful...

What I'm talking about is also just tethering... and hanging there. The ledge to even grab, to the Ike player just makes contact with the ledge and dies.

Levitas

the moon
If they have a hitbox in front of them as they use their horizontal recovery move to get to the edge, they hit lucas and grab the edge.

That said, I did already mention that lucas gets invincibility on grabbing the edge from his tether, but only a really small window of it.

That video changed my mind. It's worth adding.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If Lucas is low enough with the rope snake, it'll only hit his tether, and they'll just fall to their death. We need every idea we can get...

Irsic

Smash Ace
I've never actually tried to hang there on my tether and see if they miss the ledge. Extremely risky being that his tether isn't nearly as long as some others.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
lucas can't get "low enough", no matter how far you use the tether, the ropesnake still shrink and you'll be close to the edge

Lucas has some wierd timing with zair edgeguard, i use that tech really often with Toon Link and definitely i can say the timing is different. Of course Lucas can regrab the edge as fast as Link in that video, you just have to use the right timing, if you press Z twice, but really fast, sometimes you won't grab the edge (ropesnake appears, but doesn't grab the edge, like if it was the 4th time trying to grab the edge)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
lucas can't get "low enough", no matter how far you use the tether, the ropesnake still shrink and you'll be close to the edge

Lucas has some wierd timing with zair edgeguard, i use that tech really often with Toon Link and definitely i can say the timing is different. Of course Lucas can regrab the edge as fast as Link in that video, you just have to use the right timing, if you press Z twice, but really fast, sometimes you won't grab the edge (ropesnake appears, but doesn't grab the edge, like if it was the 4th time trying to grab the edge)
If they land right on the spot where the ledge is, you're still safe. You can sit there for about 5 seconds+, so you have time. It's not something you can pull off consistently, but I've done it a few times by just hanging there. Still fairly useful, and worth trying out in friendlies if you ever get the chance.

You can only tether 3 times before it'll just stop working entirely. But if you go up and touch solid ground, you can just instantly jump back down and use it another 3 times. Platforms and stages refresh your zair.

ChrisTheCom

Smash Cadet
Wow, this thread exploded since yesterday. All the obvious tricks are starting to dry up. Only ones I can think of for now:

1. Purposely sourspotted bair > dair (most likely rising from a double jump) whilst offstage
- The bair provides moderate-low knockback at most percentages, so that the opponent is spaced from Lucas by a nice distance, which can quickly be recovered with good aerial mobility whilst the opponent tries to regain momentum. Unless the opponent fortress' or some other quick recovery, they will most likely be caught in the dair. Appropriate weaving has to be used to ensure any retaliation misses, if the opponent is on guard.

2. Bair wall of spikes.
- If an opponent is offstage, on a moderate percentage, this should be feared. If a Lucas full-hops from a ledge, immediately bair-ing, then maybe 5 bairs can be fitted in, (with a double jump after the first two) before Lucas comes back level with the ledge, in which case a quick tether or PKT2 (if not GnW) can be used to recover. Obviously great aerial mobility and falling rate can make spiking easier.
- Because of limited should be used situationally, as many opponents may beat it with their own attacks (MK, Kirby)

Same concept could be used with fair to push an opponent to the edge blast zone, as Lucas can follow them without fear of being unable to recover the distance, although most opponent will probably retaliate and beat the attack, or air dodge. Not sure if any of these have been mentioned yet.

Levitas

the moon
5 is a little high of an estimate for what you're saying...

However neither has been added, and at the very least, knowing to follow a sourspot bair (purposeful or not) with dair has merit.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I just thought of something, can Lucas do anything special after grab releasing an opponent on Smashville's moving platform?

I got inspired by this. Skip to 1:53.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
I would not think this to be truly genuine without mentioning the wave dashing PK Thunder trick. You know, the one where Lucas is immediately propelled downwards/sideways after dashing off a platform such as the cones in Battlefield/Delfino Plaza/Yoshi's Island/Yoshi's Island Melee.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Yes, he is.

It also deserves it's own number, and I thought Levitas would have already had it.

Chuee

Smash Hero
New one
Stagesliding:
Thundersliding with stage effects such as
  • Ice stage on PS2
  • Conveyer belt on PS2
  • Moving Platfrom on smashville (will have 0 landing lag)
  • Blowing part on pictochat
  • Green Greens, when tree blows
  • Summit

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I would not think this to be truly genuine without mentioning the wave dashing PK Thunder trick.
People are pretty eager to compare things to wavedashing, eh...?

I'm starting to think some have forgotten what it actually is.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
People are pretty eager to compare things to wavedashing, eh...?

I'm starting to think some have forgotten what it actually is.
I can't really imagine Lucas's wavedash... just... no.

We need more tricks... I'm drawing a blank.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
New one
Stagesliding:
Thundersliding with stage effects such as
  • Ice stage on PS2
  • Conveyer belt on PS2
  • Moving Platfrom on smashville (will have 0 landing lag)
  • Blowing part on pictochat
  • Green Greens, when tree blows
  • Summit
good one :)
I can't really imagine Lucas's wavedash... just... no.

We need more tricks... I'm drawing a blank.
Lucas wavedash is awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKCDdBzRK1A

how about this one:

Utilt as a meteor smash?? it happens when the opponent is right next to you
i think it happens because of the god DI

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Lucas's wavedash is awesome? It looks like he's stutter-stepping. :laugh:

PKT2 after PKF? Never.

Levitas

the moon
lol, PKF usually means fire so I wouldn't abbreviate it like that, straked.

There isn't enough time to do a PKT2 at the opponent after freezing them.

I do have Thundersliding as it's own number, in case that wasn't clear on this page.

Welcome to smashboards, Ga-in ^_^

Keep it coming, guys, we're making great progress.

c3gill

Smash Ace
What about Pk freeze followed by PKT2 when opponent has low %? I do that sometimes and it makes great damage.
Also in high %: pk freeze + full hop + PKT2
I believe that if you land a PK Freeze and your opponent lands frozen on stage / frozen falling to land on stage, you are expected to shoot for a free U-Smash. Time it right and make them go BOOM.

and Lucas wavedashing looks... like the rest of his game- straight pimp.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
PKFr. ;)
I'll just spell the whole thing next time.

Any chance a footstool dair would make the list?

Top Bottom