• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Doval

Smash Lord
Disclaimer: I am not in favor or against Melee nor Brawl.
In Brawl, combos will be based on predicting your opponents reactions to your initial attack, then proceeding to attack while accounting for your opponents reaction. While most people say melee combos took more skill.... Think about this (yes I am using some of AZ's arguments/points)
Here's your problem: that's not a combo. In a combo, you don't have to account for actions that the opponent may take, except possibly DI, because the opponent can't perform actions during a combo.

Randomg

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but everything you've said has been said before, it's not really your opinion/idea. Also, comparing it to melee but then saying you can't make it brawl vs melee is a little hypocritical. Also Melee did have its set combos, but so many of them had ways out, and if you watched the best players in melee, they weren't good because they memorized combos, they were good because they knew the moves of their character so well that they reacted accordingly, like you're saying is needed in brawl.

Predicting your opponent doesn't help you nor hurt the other player as much as it did in melee, which didn't hurt you as much as it did in ssb64, you can't punish like you could before. Not to say that's bad.

D

Deleted member

Randomg

Smash Apprentice
@ First replier

OK well then my statement about Brawl combos being different is incorrect.

Brawl "combos" (what should I call it then... just "playstyle") will be different... and the post is a suggestion on a way you can do "combos" and account for their actions (I don't directly mean combos anymore when I say it, I mean whatever I'm proved in my post, I just don't have a name for it)
So you're saying what everyone already knows then, and describing the way people have been trying to play brawl.

D

Deleted member

D

Deleted member

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
@ First replier

OK well then my statement about Brawl combos being different is incorrect.

Brawl "combos" (what should I call it then... just "playstyle") will be different... and the post is a suggestion on a way you can do "combos" and account for their actions (I don't directly mean combos anymore when I say it, I mean whatever I'm proved in my post, I just don't have a name for it)
The whole point of a combo is that the opponent can't do anything in between. It's a reliable punisher. Just chasing people around is not a combo...it's just...nothing. It doesn't even need a name. E.g. I jab someone, they roll behind me, I predict and F-smash in the opposite direction. This is not a combo/technique/etc. unless you think the entire match is one long "combo". Real combos DO technically exist; just very small ones. The only combos are AAA jabs, and things like Ganondorf's side-b to down tilt (sort of). Anyways, if you're really planning on going through with this, I would suggest changing "combos" to some other word to avoid confusion. It'll save you a lot of "brawl has no combos!" headache in the future, trust me.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
You're talking about attack strings. And your right. Strings are incredibly important.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
the truth is, theres no point in posting this. Not cuz nething is wrong, but b/c im sure no one will change their minds. Let the stubborn ppl be stubborn. Ppl who want to get better, will get better and teach others new htings

D

Deleted member

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
What this game has obviously done is either change the way you look at combos, or just made you pissed that the game doesn't have combos...

to SmashNoob4Now: keep practicing what you call "combos." You'll get the results you want, even if the loser says, "Okay, but that wasn't a combo though."

Blad01

Smash Lord
Disclaimer: I am not in favor or against Melee nor Brawl.Here's your problem: that's not a combo. In a combo, you don't have to account for actions that the opponent may take, except possibly DI, because the opponent can't perform actions during a combo.
Yes that's not a combo, because it's escapable. But anyway, stop criticize the name "combo", what do you want us to call them ? :/

Sythe

Smash Rookie
It seems that combo's in brawl are much more situational, and you really have to be quick on your feet hands.

comboking

Smash Master
com·bo

com·bo [kómbō]
(plural com·bos)
n
1. jazz group: a small jazz or dance band
2. somebody or something joined: a combination of several people or components (informal)
a burger, fries, and shake

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

so yeah as long as hits are continous always hitting or link together it is still a combo!

D

Deleted member

D

Deleted member

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
see it really isn't that bad of an idea... Although it is apparently very obvious. The only problem was the people complaining that I called it a combo, which really doesn't matter!

The main point of this thread was to get people t create 'combo' lists for each character, which would be similarto combos people widely used in melee, just with more quick thinking involved.

Stop pointing out that these aren't real combos, because they are real, just different to what people did in melee!
The point we are making is that you CAN'T make "combo lists" anymore. They're not very reliable anymore, so you can't just say: "when opponent performs "x" actions, begin "y" combo. It just doesn't work like that now. It's a spur of the moment thing, follow ups are just whatever you think you can get away with at the time. But unless your opponent is caught unawares/totally clueless about how to escape what it is you're doing, it won't work. Granted these strings of w.e will work some of the time, but then, anything can work some of the time. It's like, why are we even listing it you know? All it does really it make it even harder for you do them, if you go around posting all your stuff out, because is eliminates the element of surprise you might have had (which was not that much to begin with).

Finch

Smash Lord
This is so stupid. "Attack strings" were present in melee too. It's the only thing noobs did and pros did it a lot too when they weren't in the right position to start a combo. IT'S JUST THAT IN MELEE, YOU COULD EITHER DO AN ATTACK STRING OR START A COMBO. That's why brawl is a noob game-because the higher level of play is no longer there, so we have to make do with just predicting.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
com·bo

com·bo [kómbō]
(plural com·bos)
n
2. somebody or something joined: a combination of several people or components (informal)

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

so yeah as long as hits are continous always hitting or link together it is still a combo!
I'm sorry, can you look up "Nair", "Air Control" (exists in Soul Calibur) and "Teching" (exists in many fighting games) in that dictionary? What's this, don't they correspond to the Smash community's definition (and also those of all of the world's other fighting game communities')? Must mean we've wrong and to Nair someone must mean removing their hair, to Fair someone is to be fair and just letting them hit you back each time you hit them and to Spike someone must mean to drive a spike through their hearts... or not.

And I doubt you'll be able to find definitions for Dair, Bair, Downsmash, Forwardsmash, Upsmash, Over B, Up B, Meteor Canceling and other Smash-terms in that dictionary (if you can, then I'll gladly purchase a copy myself).

If the international fighting game communities of the world say:
com·bo [kómbō]
(plural com·bos)
n
1 and only: String of hits which are inescapable bar possibly special "combo breaker" moves that have requirements (Bursts in Guilty Gear and Kawarimi no Jutsu in Naruto: GNT, for instance)

If they say that, then that's what a "combo" is defined as when discussing fighting games.

iredecent

Smash Cadet
hmm, how long did it take for all the data compiled from melee, to emerge to do said "combos", and wave dashing and L canceling?

sorry if i'm interupting something important, i kinda joined the site for brawl discussions and wasn't really good at melee........so if u could fill me in.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
com·bo

com·bo [kómbō]
(plural com·bos)
n

I have to agree with comboking. A combo doesn't have to be inescapable to be a combo. It doesn't matter if your opponent could escape, all that matters is wether your opponent does escape. If they don't its a combo. And yes, SmashNoob, predicting and reacting to your opponent plays a big part in Brawl combos. I have to say though that Brawl combo lists would be completely useless.

comboking

Smash Master
well are we going to see string videos instead of combo videos then witch

I know it makes you sound feminine (i know i spelled it wrong)

Vro

Smash Lord
Severe misinterpretation. In Melee, combos were never remember strings of button presses that required specific timing and technical capability. Altho those were important, combos were created on the fly just as much, possible even more, than in Brawl. Directional Influence and the sheer amount of speed the game had, combos were hard.

Vro

Smash Lord
Who are you to make these claims. You have no authority on the matter. The word "string" sucks balls. If your going to pull some random word out your *** at least make it a good one.
He's correct. You have absolutely no gaming experience. Shut up.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I know this thread is pretty over, but I just want to say that.. if you're ever making the assumption that absolutely everyone is just being really stupid, then you're probably about to be very, very incorrect, and talk about things we're already very aware of.

Give us some credit.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

I know it makes you sound feminine (i know i spelled it wrong)
Yes, we are. No matter how stubbornly some people will cling to the belief that they're combos.

Who are you to make these claims. You have no authority on the matter. The word "string" sucks balls. If your going to pull some random word out your *** at least make it a good one.
The worldwide communities of every single fighting game in history has. And they've all decided what constitutes a combo and what constitutes a string (of which there are many variants).

The worldwide communities of every single fighting game in history >>>>>>>>> You

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I hate it when people (me included) don't realize that there is a legitimate fighting game discourse.

The thing is, when I am informed of the terminology, I absorb it, and don't try and say why it's wrong.

Finch

Smash Lord
Why the hell would we watch videos of people getting a few attacks in on an opponent because they messed up and forgot to airdodge? We will never see brawl "combo" videos, we will just see videos of impressive kills probably.

D

Deleted member

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
the thing is bro when u vs good players combos wont exsist. you can guess every single move and option your opponent can take but as soon as hes in the air hes got about 500 hours to make a choice on a short hop, hes got infinite air dodges, and hes got NO hitstun whats so freaking ever.

then u both land right? you run in and try to lure him into his laggy attack while u move back but oh wait WTF

u tripped into his fsmash and your opponenet is ike. lol brawl ftw?

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
To the OP: You're talking about strings. They're like combos but crappier because they're escapable. THat is what brawl has. End of Thread.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
ok I know this thread is dead, but just want to clear something up...

I'm not trying to start any arguments here, or really prove anything.

I just meant "people should list strings that seem to be easy/effective in that character's thread"

And most people don't like that idea so... You dont have to argue with me... Its my opinion
It's not that we don't like the idea of easy/effective strings, it's simply that there aren't any. There's no "cookbook" of strings that you can rely on to get damage. It's all on a case-by-case basis. Unless you possess almost supernatural powers of prediction, you won't be scoring multiple hits one right after the other on any regular basis.

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
Yes, we are. No matter how stubbornly some people will cling to the belief that they're combos.

The worldwide communities of every single fighting game in history has. And they've all decided what constitutes a combo and what constitutes a string (of which there are many variants).

The worldwide communities of every single fighting game in history >>>>>>>>> You
This is someone without superman-like-terminology-skills; in their minds, the english dictionary >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the terminology of worldwide communities of every single fighting game in history that they don't know. I didn't know what the hell nair was for quite a while - and many seem irritated to explain it. I think that's stupid. :p
edit: there are too combo's in brawl! did you see ike's AAA combo? it was all, powpowPOW.

Top Bottom