• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.6 impressions so far

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
Without patch notes, I'm going from what I've played so far, and stating my likes and dislikes about 2.6.

-Link's new changes have substantially increased the overall play of the character. The new boomerang especially makes it easier to both approach and zone enemies.
-Meta Knight's entry to Project M has been mostly treated with respect and has been a fun and original character to use. The new d.air is a good combo starter along with d.special for a quick, swift finisher.

Dislikes
-They pretty much completely nerfed Sonic. Whatever combo opportunities he once had are now gone. Also, it seems they removed is n.air finisher, which was probably one of the most effective finishers he had to begin with. Not pleased.
-Meta Knight's d.air can be sometimes frustrating to control. When aiming for a specific part of the stage or foe, the character can slam right next to the enemy, leaving MK open.
-It seems Marth's f.air tap jump combo has been changed, making it more frustrating to pull of an L cancel after the second f.air. Instead, Marth can sometimes air dodge. Maybe it's just me, but it can get very irritating and cost the match.
-Snake's still a thing.

Again, without patch notes I can't make a complete review on it, especially with the Marth thing. But hopefully 3.0 or 2.7 will iron out some of the gripes I have with it, especially Sonic's major nerf.
And Snake of course.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf's new Uptilt is definitely an improvement over what he had.

Can't really find any significant other changes... Well, besides Lucas getting his Brawl moves back.

Panzerhandschuh

Smash Rookie
I guess the good thing about this is that you can just replace the new super nerfed characters with the 2.5b ones and play with that.

How? I tried replacing the FitSonicMotionEtc and FitSonic files with the 2.5b ones, but I still could not WD out of spins. His spin attack seems almost useless now in 2.6 and he isn't nearly as fun as he used to be. I wish they just nerfed other things instead of taking away one of the most interesting techniques he had.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Without patch notes, I'm going from what I've played so far, and stating my likes and dislikes about 2.6.

-Link's new changes have substantially increased the overall play of the character. The new boomerang especially makes it easier to both approach and zone enemies.
-Meta Knight's entry to Project M has been mostly treated with respect and has been a fun and original character to use. The new d.air is a good combo starter along with d.special for a quick, swift finisher.

Dislikes
-They pretty much completely nerfed Sonic. Whatever combo opportunities he once had are now gone. Also, it seems they removed is n.air finisher, which was probably one of the most effective finishers he had to begin with. Not pleased.
-Meta Knight's d.air can be sometimes frustrating to control. When aiming for a specific part of the stage or foe, the character can slam right next to the enemy, leaving MK open.
-It seems Marth's f.air tap jump combo has been changed, making it more frustrating to pull of an L cancel after the second f.air. Instead, Marth can sometimes air dodge. Maybe it's just me, but it can get very irritating and cost the match.
-Snake's still a thing.

Again, without patch notes I can't make a complete review on it, especially with the Marth thing. But hopefully 3.0 or 2.7 will iron out some of the gripes I have with it, especially Sonic's major nerf.
And Snake of course.
I'm still working on Snake, so I don't know about him yet. However, I just got better with using Sonic on 2.5b only to get pwn'd hard by Lvl 9 CPUs in 2.6. I'm not sure, but I think the meteor Smash for the Fair seems harder to pull off now, which I guess is a good thing. But this Sonic we got is just as worse as what we got with Ike after 2.0. I am glad that Meta Knight is a fair contender and seems difficult to master. Link is a pleasing character now considering just reflecting or power shielding the Boomerang will just have Link catch it.

Sonic though is still the most displeasing thing I find in this version. I hope that they either buff him up a bit in the next version or at least give Sonic new technology to give him a better combo game than what we got for him now. I mastered using wavedashing out of Spin Dash only to have it taken away... Alex not happy.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
How? I tried replacing the FitSonicMotionEtc and FitSonic files with the 2.5b ones, but I still could not WD out of spins. His spin attack seems almost useless now in 2.6 and he isn't nearly as fun as he used to be. I wish they just nerfed other things instead of taking away one of the most interesting techniques he had.
There is also a module .rel file for every char.

T-block

B2B TST
Overall I'm liking the Lucas changes so far. New d-air is sick... definitely a lot of room to work that into my game.

Was DACUS timing changed? Feels like you need to do it a lot quicker now.

Also, why get rid of DJC PK Freeze =(

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lucas may not have whatever freeze, but if you SH and time the freeze perfect as you would land with it, he basically lands on the ground without any lag period. I don't remember that from 2.5, and the move range overall feels nerfed for SHing so maybe it's just nerfed overall.

I noticed a ton of new things for characters. G^W's new Bacon is terrifying if you ever get the huge food pieces: they stun like a monster and have huge damage numbers like 12-15% or something. You get 2 in a SH and 3 in a FH if you do Chef early in the jump, which I don't think is new but being able to still do this with these monster bacon chicken steak etc pieces is a bit frightening.

G^W throw animations and launches were cleaned up a bit to be trickier. Fthrow launches people from the behind hand of G^W towards forward direction. Bthrow is the only throw that sticks out from the others, and now the feet/hands don't give it away anymore if I'm seeing it right.

Ivysaur got so much, like too much love. The Side B startup reduction was a good idea, maybe not the end lag reduction though. She's going to be a very annoying wall for a few characters, more than Zelda, and that says something.

Snake new grenade lobs are cool I guess.

Ike's Nair is god. It feels just right at this moment I hope it stays that way it's heavenly.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You can still DJC PK Freeze, the timing is just different.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Ganondorf's new UTilt stuffs so many aerial approaches. It's especially amazing when Fox DIs wrong, which is likely because he's probably holding down to get ready for a shine, the actual stomp portion will hit him at low-med percentages. And it's pretty devestating. Like seriously it's kinda too good. But I won't complain. It also combos pretty perfectly after an aerial side B.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
snakes uthrow still being ******** and broken makes this release a great practical joke that cracks me up
sonic's nerfs are a good thing that make the game more balanced and promotes manly playstyles like that of devs sonic

DISLIKES:
snakes uthrow is still ******** and broken
sonic's nerfs are such good design that it makes me question wether or not this is supposed to be a practical joke or not

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
2.5 - OMG SONIC IS TOO EASY TO PICK UP NERF NERF NERF PLEASE HE IS OP
2.6 - OMG YOU GUYS NERFED SONIC HE ISN'T EVEN FUN ANYMORE I CANT WIN LIKE I USED TO

geh.

Downloading 2.6 now. I have no idea how I'm going to import my custom content (I don't know what will stick D:)

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
2.6 - OMG YOU GUYS NERFED SONIC HE ISN'T EVEN FUN ANYMORE I CANT WIN LIKE I USED TO

geh.

Downloading 2.6 now. I have no idea how I'm going to import my custom content (I don't know what will stick D:)

I started out on 2.5b. Sonic was fun, new and felt so original, kind of like Zero from MVC; he could control the stage so quickly, but had about one efficient finisher, the n.air. So they took away his control, as well as his best finisher and we're left with a sloppy feeling unfinished character.
Very disappointed.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Zero is pretty overpowered in Marvel, and Sonic was hella broken in 2.5b. I really don't care if you are 'disappointed' in a character being nerfed, but I'm just glad he isn't mindless anymore. He felt original and new because he didn't follow the rules like most of the cast does (everything he does is safe on shield, bait punish not working against him), and he felt good because of it. The same thing happened to Ike in 2.0. He had a lot of stupid stuff he could do on a lot of stages (infinite walljumps) plus he had fox upsmash ranking knockback and speed on most of his smash attacks. When those things were taken away, people were claiming he was 'a sloppy unfinished character' because of it. Now in 2.5b at least, people forgot that he got nerfed and are still doing perfectly fine with him. Sonic is still sonic. He is still fun to play, capable of great things as is, and with a good player behind him, can still contend with every other character in the game.

What makes me laugh about all this is that you are complaining that sonic was balanced and snake is op when Sonic can probably still make quick work of Snake (assuming both players knew how to play the game) in 2.6.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice

geh.
Dear pmbr, if you guys go back and tweak sonic because of all the sonic whiners, please add the ice climbers while your at it.

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie

geh.

I was worried about this as well but I just took 10 mins and copied all the Fit_#.PAC/PCS Files for each folder without touching the Fit_.PAC and the Fit_MotionEtc.PAC. I think It should all stick. And if you have portraits then your Common5.PAC should carry over just fine. I've already used all the custom skins and stages that I had placed and I made sure of it by using Link on a custom Sonic Stage. All his differences have been transfered over so everything went accordingly.

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
Zero is pretty overpowered in Marvel, and Sonic was hella broken in 2.5b. I really don't care if you are 'disappointed' in a character being nerfed, but I'm just glad he isn't mindless anymore. He felt original and new because he didn't follow the rules like most of the cast does (everything he does is safe on shield, bait punish not working against him), and he felt good because of it. The same thing happened to Ike in 2.0. He had a lot of stupid stuff he could do on a lot of stages (infinite walljumps) plus he had fox upsmash ranking knockback and speed on most of his smash attacks. When those things were taken away, people were claiming he was 'a sloppy unfinished character' because of it. Now in 2.5b at least, people forgot that he got nerfed and are still doing perfectly fine with him. Sonic is still sonic. He is still fun to play, capable of great things as is, and with a good player behind him, can still contend with every other character in the game.

What makes me laugh about all this is that you are complaining that sonic was balanced and snake is op when Sonic can probably still make quick work of Snake (assuming both players knew how to play the game) in 2.6.

Sonic was fun because his combos actually felt fast and responsive, which fit the character perfectly. In exchange, his smashes were almost completely useless, and his only option for a finisher was n.air or n.air B off the edge, with a f.air sometimes thrown in. In short, his n.air was the best finisher he had.
They removed his fast combos, along with his best finisher, making him feel extremely sloppy. He now has limited combo uses along with almost no choices for finishers. There's a difference between being "balanced" and being "nerfed".

As for his recovery, I have no idea what they were thinking. Removing his f.B recovery leaves him 75% more useless off the edge. You have to be at almost a complete 90 degree angle to recover now. So you hit him off the edge? Congratulations, you win. His f.B recovery was predictable, piss easy to punish and gave Sonic a way to stay in the fray. I really hate what they've done with Sonic, but am glad you can just replace the files with the 2.5b ones.

As for Snake? Well... 5+ finishers. Literally unable to kill him without smashing him out the screen.
All that needs to be said.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Sonic didn't need finishers when he had total command of the entire game and could almost throw out random nairs and fairs during openings.

Finishing is the most overrated aspect as far as character traits goes. Pit was amazing before he got his kill moves super buffed, and he's great with them added.

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
Smashing people out of the screen is usually how one gets kills. A solid Knee, or DK Nair/Fair, or Bowser attack kills Snake out of his recovery pretty well.

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
The game has only been out for a few hours. Lol isn't it a bit too early to be calling a character OP or unusable?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Fought her with my secondary and my main, all she really did was spam rest which hit me once on secondary and never on my main. Also her rollout and up throw seem like they got buffed... nothing that amazing compared to other good characters though.

Was there a joke I missed?

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I didnt notice any mario changes (which is a good thing, please keep him exactly how he is)

except maybe downtilt being a little faster but i could be imagining things

is mario still the same as 2.5?

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I didnt notice any mario changes (which is a good thing, please keep him exactly how he is)

except maybe downtilt being a little faster but i could be imagining things

is mario still the same as 2.5?

Mario isn't the same as he was in 2.5, but he still feels pretty damn good to play. He can change the directions of where he throws his Fireballs in midair more easily, which is a great buff. Not to mention Mario can spawn the Fireballs a little faster than he did before; it's half as fast as he can throw them in his Super Mario Bros games although the spacing and zoning you can do with the Fireballs are still there. So, at least Mario is still there for me to play well with... Sonic on the other hand is a different story entirely for me. 2.6 feels so mixed for me.

Rat

Smash Lord
I mastered using wavedashing out of Spin Dash only to have it taken away... Alex not happy.

Felt the exact same way going from 2.1 sonic to 2.5 sonic. Spent months and months practicing and mastering SideB WD and the Homing Attack Cancels. Only to have it taken away.

It honestly makes the character unplayable. Your hands will try to do the same **** but none of it will work.

This is probably terrible advice, but I'd recommend just not playing Sonic anymore. I had to learn a new character - went with wolf. He turned out to be a lot of fun and probably improved my overall smash game.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Fought her with my secondary and my main, all she really did was spam rest which hit me once on secondary and never on my main. Also her rollout and up throw seem like they got buffed... nothing that amazing compared to other good characters though.

Was there a joke I missed?
On mine, Jiggs landed 3 random rests in one match. Sure she missed a few, but she seems bloodthirsty for them now.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I'm guessing there's a change-list in the works? I won't be able to get my hands on this for a while.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I think ill play sanic more often now, he has a purple texture, couldnt ask for more

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Cant answer your question because yuno scared the **** out of me

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I think they added some armor in his up b and maybe some hitboxes, didnt try him though

Top Bottom