• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2007 MLG Smash Series: MELEE-FC Diamond: Pools and CANDY in first post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
ok, I was actually thinking of bringing japanese players with me to FC this time around, all I wanted was how many people would be willing to help or atleast t he organizers of FC would help to make this happen.

However, since I got nothing but rude remarks and "who cares" if the japanese come or not, I'll have to Host OC3 in July and the two major tournaments will have to compete yet once again.

good day

Mars-

Smash Champion
ok, I was actually thinking of bringing japanese players with me to FC this time around, all I wanted was how many people would be willing to help or atleast t he organizers of FC would help to make this happen.

However, since I got nothing but rude remarks and "who cares" if the japanese come or not, I'll have to Host OC3 in July and the two major tournaments will have to compete yet once again.

good day
Nobody is saying that if Japanese people came we wouldn't care, we are just saying, why go out of our way to get Japanese people to the U.S.?

Drephen

Smash Master
Ken, as it was for heilos, we could help to japanese players by picking them up from the airport, provide them housing for as long as they need it, etc.

But paying for their trip here is their job, its gonna be hard enough with FC being as big as we think it is. We would gladly have the japanese players, it would be the most exciting **** ever.

"all smashers are equal" lol. I think the kishes are saying that how good a person is at smash doesnt necessarly mean they are more important. Sure they are coming a freakin long way from Japan so they will get some special treatment, just as Heilos, Doug, Yuna, Cananda people did last year. But why not pay for Lunaris from Alaska to come, cause he not as good in smash as the Japanese? We can help you guys out in whatever way we can, but getting here is their job.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Ahah canaNda... :p

/agree with Drephen, midwest is fantastic, but realistic.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
/disagree w/ drephen

the better you are at smash means you ARE more important. sry guys but that = life. more good people that come = better tournout overall = better for the "common" smasher. so the chain is dependent on how many good smashers come. if fc had no good smashers coming, how many scrubs would attend? lets just say fc wouldn't exist. just like tiers. peace.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
The only thing you heard from the staff was that we'd have to talk about it Ken, but feel free to do as you wish.

And how is MLG trying to strengthen the overseas relationships mana?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Hey guys, if you really wanted to talk to us, you really should've done it privately. This is a matter between you and us, and announcing it publicly and asking for a response in front of the community is fairly disrespectful, and you are already using our non-response to criticize us.

As Iggy said, we as a staff will discuss what we will do, in private. We will then communicate to you, in private, our answer. Until then we do not need you to criticize our tournament, as I believe we still have the largest independent tournament in the nation on record to our credit.

No one has to worry about the quality of FC. The prize money alone, which this year will exceed the $7000 we gave away last year, will ensure the quality of the competition. The fun will still come from the Ship Spirit! Thus both halves of FC remain intact, in quality of competition and fun.

To everyone else, consider the public discussion of this topic ended in my thread. If you wish to give an opinion, please either PM myself or Ken, or start your own thread. Thanks!

EDIT: Just to be clear, I did say I would love to have Bombsoldier here, if you read my post. Let's keep the rhetoric out of this, eh?

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
heh tim thats where u r wrong OC 3 is already trying to shut u down

talkin bout FC happens all the time and OC is trying to get the japanese players so forget about FC donate money to get the japanese over here
If the Japanese wanna come, they can pay their own way. They're no more important than anyone else.

I'd rather hang out with Big C any day.
Ken did you notice your answer is in what you quoted?
Hey guys, if you really wanted to talk to us, you really should've done it privately. This is a matter between you and us, and announcing it publicly and asking for a response in front of the community is fairly disrespectful, and you are already using our non-response to criticize us.

As Iggy said, we as a staff will discuss what we will do, in private. We will then communicate to you, in private, our answer. Until then we do not need you to criticize our tournament, as I believe we still have the largest independent tournament in the nation on record to our credit.

No one has to worry about the quality of FC. The prize money alone, which this year will exceed the $7000 we gave away last year, will ensure the quality of the competition. The fun will still come from the Ship Spirit! Thus both halves of FC remain intact, in quality of competition and fun.

To everyone else, consider the public discussion of this topic ended in my thread. If you wish to give an opinion, please either PM myself or Ken, or start your own thread. Thanks!

EDIT: Just to be clear, I did say I would love to have Bombsoldier here, if you read my post. Let's keep the rhetoric out of this, eh?

how is it disrespectful if im asking for help from the hosts and the community? I don't see it disrespectful at all. This is an Open topic, its not a secret/private one whatso ever. It's opened to discuss, if more people would like to help out to make this happen then that'll be great, theres not need to hide it and talk in private

no one realizes that the japanese players are really poor. especially bombsoldier to surivive off bread and water for a week. Their passion is to play smash, I want them to atleast experience what smash is like in america. Especially with everyone. If anyone can help, that's great, if not then theres no need to keep on jumping on the bandwagon and criticize. I realize that I'm probably the only link between getting them here so it's my job to make sure they have a fun trip as well and not a bad one.

I have yet to criticize your tournament, if anything i am trying to promote it by coming with japanese players.. Seriously stop trying to act like im trying to bring down your tournament, and putting words into my mouth. I never took your silence to offense, I'm just posting in regard to what was previously said

KishPrime

BRoomer
Fc offers the smashers the same thing every year, I havent seen anything new yet. What Fc is this ? Fc 20? Right now ken's telling you he can actually help you, just give him a price.
Sorry, I understood this as a criticism, from mana, not you. I've probably gotten a bit sensitive over the past few years of insults and just take things the wrong way.

Anyway, it's disrepectful in this way. Say you just won an MLG event, and get called up on stage. I'm presenting the money. I announce, in front of everyone, "hey Ken, why don't you donate some of this money to charity? Tell me how much you are going to donate." I don't think you'd appreciate that.

The fact is, this will not expand the community, because as you have stated he, nor any of the Japanese, have the money to travel here regularly. It's a nice gesture, and a charity, and should be treated as such. If he's living off of bread and water, maybe we should be donating the money to food or some lasting benefit for him. Now, talk to me about it via PM, please.

EDIT: Again, I consider this discussion done in this thread.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
how is it disrespectful if im asking for help from the hosts and the community? I don't see it disrespectful at all. This is an Open topic, its not a secret/private one whatso ever. It's opened to discuss, if more people would like to help out to make this happen then that'll be great, theres not need to hide it and talk in private

no one realizes that the japanese players are really poor. especially bombsoldier to surivive off bread and water for a week. Their passion is to play smash, I want them to atleast experience what smash is like in america. Especially with everyone. If anyone can help, that's great, if not then theres no need to keep on jumping on the bandwagon and criticize. I realize that I'm probably the only link between getting them here so it's my job to make sure they have a fun trip as well and not a bad one.

I have yet to criticize your tournament, if anything i am trying to promote it by coming with japanese players.. Seriously stop trying to act like im trying to bring down your tournament, and putting words into my mouth. I never took your silence to offense, I'm just posting in regard to what was previously said
Living off bread and cheese for a week [when visiting another country] seems pretty common in my book.. that coupled w/ staying at hostels, and monestaries... and telling the community that the Japanese smashers are financially lacking does not stir the slightest sympathy in me at all. If they want to experience america tell them to get some scholarships, and a student visa. Threatening to hold your own tournament at the same time as FC seems pretty low Ken, so take this conversation to PMs, or the like. Perhaps did it occur to you that the staff of FC would like to do more than just "give rides to/from the airport" for the Japanese smashers, and discussing it out in the open may create feelings of unfairness, and unrest... Everyone would love to see the rise of competition, but most smashers don't want to see their winnings funding their Japanese trip.

Good Day Sir.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
Living off bread and cheese for a week [when visiting another country] seems pretty common in my book.. that coupled w/ staying at hostels, and monestaries... and telling the community that the Japanese smashers are financially lacking does not stir the slightest sympathy in me at all. If they want to experience america tell them to get some scholarships, and a student visa. Threatening to hold your own tournament at the same time as FC seems pretty low Ken, so take this conversation to PMs, or the like. Perhaps did it occur to you that the staff of FC would like to do more than just "give rides to/from the airport" for the Japanese smashers, and discussing it out in the open may create feelings of unfairness, and unrest... Everyone would love to see the rise of competition, but most smashers don't want to see their winnings funding their Japanese trip.

Good Day Sir.
it wasn't a threat, it was a compromise. I was originally going to hold OC3 in July anyways since plane tickets from japan to America are a lot cheaper then. If i were to win a huge tournament and people asked me how much of that would i love donating to lets say a charity that would benefit me, I wouldn't find that disrespectful at all. I'll say " sure I'd love to donate" :)

actually im done here, I'll continue doing my own business, theres no compromising here

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Before you make any quick generalizations about FC, and it's staff.. recongize that myself, and the rest of the non staffers that posted here in reguards to your first messege DO NOT represent the FC program as a whole in the least, and that you should consult Kish/any of the other staff for more information concerning the date of your tourney, and the logistics of any/all Japanese smashers which may be participating in either tourney.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Ken gets the last word, and can contact me via PM. Next person I see quoting anything in here relating to this will be warned, and I don't care who's side you are on. There shouldn't be sides to begin with...

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
are u ****ing kidding me? taco bell? who gives a **** about taco bells when theres steak and shake

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
boxman: it varies from crackers, top ramen, bread and honey and cookies and ice cream.

please stop the spam or I'm going to have to give out warnings

artarian

Smash Journeyman
may i ask what kind of numbers you are looking at to get Bombsoldier over to Cali and then to FC? and then, im assuming that pretty much any and all costs would have to be taken care of (entry fee, random costs concerning eating and misc crap)? also, is BS the only japanese player you planned on bringing over? or did you want to bring more?

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I think what everybody REALLY wants to know is which region is going to win it all in Torpedo Ball crews

KishSquared

Smash Master
Not to totally change the subject, but I just want to say how excited I am about FC this year. I missed FC6 last year, which totally stinks because it was apparently AWESOME.

We hit over 200 in attendance, the most ever for an independent tournament for its time.

We gave away over $7000 in prizes, including $1500 to the winners of both singles and doubles. I believe this was also the most given away in prizes of any independent tournament.

We were able to attract 4 overseas participants, and plenty of Canadians to boot! We had solid representation from ALMOST every region of the USA.

We had 32 LARGE SCREEN TVs available for friendlies all night long.

Torpedo Ball is apparently the next Smash. People were even organizing Crew Battles for it!

The set-up was astounding. We were the first major tournament to provide a double set-up for finals matches. Each player (or team) got their own TV, separated from each other by about 15 feet... UP ON STAGE! The image of this setup was streamed to two large projector screens, which were easily view by everyone from the comfort of BLEACHERS. No more watching the TV from over the players' shoulders!

The Regional Crew Battle had nearly complete representation from 4 out of 5 defined regions, including an International Region. Not bad! This competition was also played out on the split-TV setup, enabling easy viewing for the entire group of spectators.

The entire event was run almost flawlessly DESPITE THE ABSENCE OF THE PRIMARY ORGANIZER. Due to Prime's wedding in May, I took this role and did almost everything without his aid. When I fell bed-ridden the DAY OF THE TOURNAMENT, the entire staff made the whole event run so smoothly that many didn't know I wasn't there.

FC6 was an amazing experience. I can't say that because I was there, though. I can only say that because this is what I've heard from everyone that was there. We ironed out almost all the problems we had with FC3, and almost all the problems we had with FC6 (long registration line, for example) were because of me being sick that morning and needing to go to the doctor with my wife, or me not being there for 80% of the event.

I can't wait for this. It's going to be the best event ever. If anyone can only go to one tournament this summer, I highly recommend that they pick FC over anything else. It's constantly held up as the best tournament ever, and I have no doubt that it will continue to do so.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
lol

may i ask what kind of numbers you are looking at to get Bombsoldier over to Cali and then to FC? and then, im assuming that pretty much any and all costs would have to be taken care of (entry fee, random costs concerning eating and misc crap)? also, is BS the only japanese player you planned on bringing over? or did you want to bring more?
ken was planning to bring all 12 over, some famous names include, bombsoldier, masashi, their new best marth player, shu, and more. And to bring them over the kishes would have to fork out for all their tickets to the midwest , including paying for their food, and housing them. Thats why its not easy task to bring over the japanese, and we did it for oc2.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
ok, so 12 people. tickets to midwest from cali and then back to cali from midwest. housing and entry fee and feeding them. that is indeed a hefty task. how much did this cost for OC2?

BIG C

Smash Master
heh so i guess the japanese just don't have any money for themselves then, can't even afford food I mean c'mon, we shouldn't have to donate every single cent of their tickets and pay for everything else they'll be doing in america.

araknophobik

Smash Master
heh so i guess the japanese just don't have any money for themselves then, can't even afford food I mean c'mon, we shouldn't have to donate every single cent of their tickets and pay for everything else they'll be doing in america.
yeah thats what i was thinking
i mean we should donate...but to a certain extent
I'd rather donate for EK and nijonjin to come, europeans are much more willing to travel for smash
EK marth ditto's vs azen ken and neo would be too good

manacloud1

Smash Champion
lol

ok, so 12 people. tickets to midwest from cali and then back to cali from midwest. housing and entry fee and feeding them. that is indeed a hefty task. how much did this cost for OC2?
thats why people dont understand , why oc is so special. We managed to do it for oc2 and we will do it for oc3, if people arent willing to support them, then they dont go its that simple. So when people talk about getting the japanese to go to their tournament, then do the actual work to get them there. So dont blame us if the japanese cant go to fc because the midwest isnt willing to get them there. Because i know ken and i try hard to get them to america in the first place. They arent rich like us. if you went to japan ull know why. Their economy is so much worst then america. Even if your a poor person here you live off more then they live off in japan. When i came there they all shared poor mans bread, which was really sad. Poor mans bread is low quality bread baked in chocolate sold by the dozen. Its like 20 cents and you get one loaf.

araknophobic you havent donated at all so i dont know what your talking about.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
thats why people dont understand , why oc is so special. We managed to do it for oc2 and we will do it for oc3, if people arent willing to support them, then they dont go its that simple. So when people talk about getting the japanese to go to their tournament, then do the actual work to get them there. So dont blame us if the japanese cant go to fc because the midwest isnt willing to get them there. Because i know ken and i try hard to get them to america in the first place. They arent rich like us. if you went to japan ull know why. Their economy is so much worst then america. Even if your a poor person here you live off more then they live off in japan. When i came there they all shared poor mans bread, which was really sad. Poor mans bread is low quality bread baked in chocolate sold by the dozen. Its like 20 cents and you get one loaf.

araknophobic you havent donated at all so i dont know what your talking about.
ok so thats nice and all. i understand how difficult it is to get japanese people over to america, especially if they dont have the funds to support themselves for the trip. however, all that junk in you response to my post was completely unnecessary . all i ask was how much it cost to fund all of the "Bring Over Japanese Players" thing you guys did for OC2. Also, obviously i dont know for sure, but i heard that 12 japanese people didnt go to OC2, meaning OC3 will be even more expensive. in the end, all i want to know is how much did cost to bring them over and support them for the duration of their stay.

thank you.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I am donating 600 dollars so that the Japanese people can come to OC3. I think we should all help OC3 to happen. The least you guys can do is MAKE A GOOD ATTEMPT to change the date from July to something like June or August. There's PLENTY of time to do this, but Ken says the tickets for the Japanese guys are a few hundred dollars cheaper to buy it in July than August. If you guys could change the date of this this would help OC3 happen. More attendence for both tourneys, instead of trying to be rivals and ruin the other tourney. I'm not taking a strike at this at all, I know this date was planned far before OC3, but because of recent events I learned with the Japanese and plane money issues, if possible we should try to make the date sometime other than July, or at least a good 2-3 weeks apart from when OC3 is going to happen. Instead of everyone arguing trying to ruin the attendence of one tourney, why not help BOTH to become good. =D

manacloud1

Smash Champion
lol

ok so thats nice and all. i understand how difficult it is to get japanese people over to america, especially if they dont have the funds to support themselves for the trip. however, all that junk in you response to my post was completely unnecessary . all i ask was how much it cost to fund all of the "Bring Over Japanese Players" thing you guys did for OC2. Also, obviously i dont know for sure, but i heard that 12 japanese people didnt go to OC2, meaning OC3 will be even more expensive. in the end, all i want to know is how much did cost to bring them over and support them for the duration of their stay.

thank you.
what i dont get is people keep wanting numbers, how can i possibly give you an exact number of how much it cost. If i were to estimate around 4000 to 5000. For oc3 im just asking for donations for bombsoldier specifically. If fc wants the japanese to go they would have to bring all 12 to fc.

KishSquared'sWife

Smash Rookie
I don't know how to stress to you in a way you will listen, but I would like you all to know that FC is in no way competing with any other tournament this year. FC has always happened in July, in the middle of July, and we are merely sticking to our regular weekend. It is a weekend that works for the venue, our church, and just the regular FC weekend.

As far as the other debates taking place, please respect KishPrime's request that this debate no longer take place in this thread. FC is a great experience for those who choose to come. We love hosting it and we hope that everyone who desires to come will find a way to do so. That being said, it is not our job or desire to fund the way for people. FC does not provide scholarships. If this community would like to take upon themselves the task of funding any individual's trip to any tournament, that is up to those who might choose to participate. Please discuss that elsewhere.

Thank you.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Haha, my wife beat me to it.

FC's date isn't changing. Sorry, it's too late, so please stop asking. Unlike OC3, which might not even happen yet, FC is definitely happening and has already been planned.

No more discussion about the Japanese in here. We've said we'd warn people if they continued to bring it up, and we still might. I'm definitely reporting all Japanese- or OC3-related posts following this one to the mods. I'm alerting the mods to keep an eye on the thread from here on out.

Mana is only allowed to write pro-FC posts from here on out, lest we report it to the mods.

FC is gonna rock for all who attend. I hope you all can make it!!!

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
And I'm here to follow up on that. This is, after all, the FC3 thread. So keep discussion solely to FC3. Matters with the Japanese, OC3, etc., are all entirely unrelated and need to be taken care of only in their appropriate threads or through other forms of communication. I will be handing out spam warnings to anybody else that wishes to continue such discussions.

In an unrelated note, I'll be coming :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Are you guys going to want people to bring VCRs or TV Tuners or anything like that to this?

artarian

Smash Journeyman
what i dont get is people keep wanting numbers, how can i possibly give you an exact number of how much it cost. If i were to estimate around 4000 to 5000. For oc3 im just asking for donations for bombsoldier specifically. If fc wants the japanese to go they would have to bring all 12 to fc.
quick response: The reason i ask for a number is to gauge the possibility of this happening again, but for 12 people. 4-5k is already a huge amount, it just seems like to heavy of a task to accomplish solely based on donations from the community. plain and simple.

now, about FC3...

the website, glad to hear its gonna be updated, i remember when i first found out about it...it was cool to know the info would be up there, and good to hear that it will be updated in the near future.

also, where would be the best place to fly into? Midway? somewhere else? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom