• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2014 Pokemon World Championships this Weekend!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The Pokemon Company International released a trailer for the 2014 Pokemon World Championships early this week. The Pokemon World Championships will feature over 500 players from over 30 countries competing in Pokemon Trading Card Game and video game competitions. Pokemon, unlike most other competitive gaming events, divides the player base into three age divisions - Junior, Senior, and Masters. As such, the Pokemon World Championships actually features 6 tournaments and will crown 6 World Champions (VG and TCG). Between all of the events players will be competing for over $100,000 in scholarships. If this were a Smash tournament, the prize support would be about 3 times the highest ever recorded ($35,000 at MLG Dallas 2010).

Watch the Pokemon World Championships on August 16th and 17th
Pokemon players compete in a year-long Championship Series that includes City, State, Regional, and National Championships. The Pokemon Company International operates the Championship Series and provides flight and hotel to hundreds of players at the US National Championships and the World Championships annually. Following recent interest in the Smash Brothers community, many have wondered just what a deeper developer involvement may look like - Pokemon could offer that example. The 2014 Pokemon World Championships are the 11th TCG World Championships and the 6th video game World Championships. Check out the trailer below to get a sense of the event and make sure to tune in this weekend on twitch.tv/pokemon to catch the action. You can also check out the specially built event portal at pokemon.com/worlds.

Last edited:

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
OMG POKAMANZ TURDNAMENT

tiem 2 pull out mah old n dusty 90s pokamanz deck

Last edited:

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
Inb4 Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino are revealed at the end.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Question, why is there a Doublade of all pokemon on the back of the poster?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
If only they had rotation battles in the tournaments...

It would be the return of the Rotation King :115:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
"Between all of the events players will be competing for over $100,000 in scholarships."

Wait.....scholarships!?

You can get a scholarship in Pokémon Battling?

Question, why is there a Doublade of all pokemon on the back of the poster?
Probably just for symmetry, or to have two swords crossed against eachother, representing a duel.

I was about to ask the same thing about the Heracross and Pinsir next to each Mewtwo, but then I remembered that they're part of a distribution event.
You can get a Pinsir in Y and a Heracross in X starting today, then you can go get their Mega Stones at GameStop starting Monday.

Last edited:

Starline

Smash Cadet
This is actually just the world championships for VGC and TCG. It's nothing like Smogon's WCOP.

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
This is actually just the world championships for VGC and TCG. It's nothing like Smogon's WCOP.
I just wish other irl tournaments (i'm looking at apex here) would use smogon rulesets as opposed to VGC. Even smogon doubles are better for fair, diverse, and interesting play. The fact that TPCi bans stuff like Mew and Phione without even looking at all the ridiculously powerful megas (Kanga, Lucario, Gengar) really annoys me. This being the "standard" way to play is worse than Nintendo putting ffas in tournaments and having the treehouse guy throw the word "combo" everywhere he can while they're streaming.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I love dreaming as much as the next guy but I seriously doubt we'd ever get tournament support of this caliber for smash. The main reason being the pokemon franchise brings in such an enormous amount of revenue from other media like the anime, mangas, toys, movies, etc on top of video games. I bet Pokemon Yellow version era sales is funding this.

That was a joke but seriously Pokemon, as a franchise, makes boo koo bucks. Not even sure if Capcom/Namco could afford to fly hundreds of entrants to America and give out scholarships.

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't they been doing something like this since Gen IV or was it later?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
AAAAH, so excited. Last years World's is what got me into competitive Pokemon this year, so I can't wait to fully fully be invested this time around.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Sadly I am not going to this, but I'll be watching my friends hopefully kick some butt!

Top Bottom