• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 6 - OVER! Who lived happily ever after in Newbie Land?!

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Hello innocent little newbies & villainous 'ole ICs, and welcome to Newbie Mafia 6!

Newbie Section:

[collapse=Newbie Information]Hey! Looks like you're interested in playing some mafia! That's great! Mafia is a game that can vary between levels of simplicity and complexity and still retain its overall competitiveness and basic principles. In its simplest form, the game is played with two opposing factions: The Mafia and The Town. The Mafia serves as an "informed minority" and The Town serves as an "uninformed majority. Simply put: the mafiosos know they are the bad guys wanting to kill everyone else, and the townies are the good guys who must eliminate their threats before it's too late! More specifically, the mafia will be killing a townie every "Night Phase" and the group as a whole will try to figure out who the mafia among them is and lynch those players during the "Day Phase". Whatever the case, the game is based on basic principles of communication, strategy, diplomacy, psychology, and best of all, deception.

Mafia can get pretty complicated pretty quickly, but some of the most fun games use only the basics – lucky for you, as the most basic games are also the best way to learn and the easiest way to jump into a new hobby. If you end up liking the game, you will be completely prepared to join one of the other regularly hosted games in Decisive Games, as well as make connections and good friends with the slew of regular players we have. (which includes a large amount of debaters, writers, broomers, and moderators... as well as totally awesome dGamers!)

Now with that out of the way, I'll go through the mechanics of the game more clearly than the summary I originally explained. The game will begin in the "Day Phase". During this time, all players will be able to post in the thread, debate amongst one another, and vote for who they would like to be lynched that day. Once a player receives the majority of the votes, that player will be lynched! When a player is lynched, the moderator will reveal what their alignment (Town, Mafia, etc...) was to the other players. The townies will either rejoice and head to bed early, or lock themselves away for the night in sorrow. This is where the "Night Phase" comes into play. During this time there is no discussion and no one may post in the thread. The Mafia will decide on their kill during this time, and there may be some town players which special abilities that will help them at night! Regardless, once all actions are done, the moderator will start the next "Day Phase" revealing any deaths that may have occurred during the night. And the game will continue until either the Mafia has control over the town, or the town has eliminated their enemies! Don't worry though, the game is crafted such that the town has a certain number of "mislynches" before they lose. Don't think that town choosing the wrong person will lead to the end of the game immediately! Much like a game of cards, you don't fold until you've made all of your plays! ;)

There will be IC "Inexperience Challenged" players who will play in this game with you. Their primary role is to help you understand and enjoy the game! However, they'll also adhere to their win condition, so be careful!

Please read the rules, and if you need more help or are curious for more knowledge, click on the Further Reading links. If have any questions, they are probably answered in the rules or the Further Reading, but feel free to ask the game moderator (Xiivi) anything you do not understand.

Further Reading & Helpful Links:
Newbie Guide: Introduction for new players.
Basic Rules: Reading these rules, along with the game's specific rules, will help you understand the game.
Common Roles: Includes a description of the roles both commonly and uncommonly found in Mafia.
Smashboards Mafia Archives: This archive includes examples of past Mafia games in Decisive Games.

How to sign-up as a Newbie:

You may sign up as a "Newbie" if you have not completed 2 games in the dGames section of this site. If you are in any on-going games, then you are free to sign-up as a Newbie. However, I advise you to not overload yourself with too many games!

If you wish to sign up, simply post in this thread "/in". If you have any questions, then please feel free to ask them as well![/collapse]

Inexperience Challenged Section:

[collapse=IC Information]Read This: Being A Good IC.

You have two goals in this game: Your win condition, and being a good IC. And there is only one of those two that you MUST fulfill. And that is the latter. Being an IC in this game is a privledge and you should treat it as such. Under no circumstances should you treat new players in a manner that will cause them to want to quit the game or to not return to dGames. Your main priority is to help integrate the new players into dGames and help show them just how fun and rewarding a mafia game can be to play. This is not a "win at all costs" game, and neither are normal games.

You are eligible to be an IC if you have completed 2 games in the dGames section of this site. Currently on-going games are excluded in this count. If you would like to be an IC then please PM me (Xiivi) linking to the last two completed games you have played in the dGames section of this site. I reserve the right to reject you playing as an IC; whether it be because I feel you actually aren't experienced enough, or because I think your playstyle does not go well with a Newbie Game, or because there are already enough ICs, or for some other reason.[/collapse]

Semi-Experienced Section:

[collapse=SE Information]Do you fit the requirements to be an IC player? Are you not comfortable serving as an IC player but still wanting to play to get experience of your own? Then feel free to PM me (Xiivi) to request a slot as an SE player. I reserve the right to reject your SE application, and I may or may not recommend you apply to be an IC.[/collapse]

General Section:
[collapse=Rule Set]Rules:
1) Please enjoy this game and do not act in a manner that would make the game unenjoyable for others! (This includes personal attacks!)
2) The game mod is the game god. However, if you feel the game god happens to be testing your faith by placing an error in the game, then please feel free to point it out!
3) Editing your posts is not allowed, and multi-posting is instead encouraged in its place. Any and all edits will be reversed!
4) If you are allowed to communicate with another player outside of this thread, then please follow the communication instructions within your role PM!
5) Do not quote role PMs or any other form of communication with the Game Mod unless your role PM explicitly states you can (in which case follow the instructions in your role PM). Failure to comply will result in a modkill. You may paraphrase your role PM as you see fit, but keep everything in your own words!
6) Once all role PMs have been sent, please confirm by quoting your role PM back to me along with rules #3 & #24. Please do not post in-thread as confirmation. This thread will be unlocked once all players have confirmed.
7) All votes must follow the format of "Vote: NAME".
8) You are not required to unvote, however if you do, then please use the format of "Unvote:".
9) No Lynch is a valid vote target.
10) A lynch will occur when a majority of votes has been reached.
11) If a majority has not been reached, then No Lynch is forced as the lynch target.
12) A) Deadline for the Day Phase will equal a time of eight days.
12) B) Deadline for the Night Phase will equal a time of two days.
13) During any day phase a player may perform the command "Request: Deadline Extension". The deadline will be extended by 4 days if a majority of players perform this command. This can only be done once over the course of the game and the deadline will not be extended for any other reason.
15) Twilight Phase will occur between Day Phase and Night Phase. All living players including those about to be lynched will be allowed to communicate in thread until a death scene is posted.
16) After your death you are allowed to select one of the following as a final remark:
"Go Alliance of Nations!"
"Go Axis of Cosa Nostra!"
17) You are expected to post at least once every 48 hours. If you are not active for a period longer than 48 hours, you will receive a prod. If you do not post in thread with-in 48 hours of prod, you will be replaced. Multiple prods will result in replacement at moderator's discretion. If you have pre-planned absence, then please notify the game mod ahead of time and you will not be prodded. However if your absence is for an unreasonable amount of time, you may be forcibly replaced regardless of advance notification.
18) Failure to adhere to rules will result in replacement or modkill based on the moderator's discretion.
19) Please avoid using HTML and coloured font in your posts. All colours used in this post are strictly forbidden for use as they are the colours the game moderator will be using.
20) You may ask questions to the game moderator using the command: "@Mod: ___".
21) Please do not post in code, hidden text, or languages other than English.
22) You may not post screenshots [print screens] or anything resembling a screenshot [print screen].
23) Hydras may freely quote text logs of conversations, after all it's only the playerslot talking to itself. Sadly, hydras are not allowed to play in this game.
24) You may not quote logs of communication with other players if your role PM allows you to communicate with other players outside of this thread. You are free to paraphrase.
25) You are allowed to claim anti-town. However you are not allowed to claim anti-town and that another player is anti-town with you (either explicitly or implicitly). This will result in an automatic loss for your faction.[/collapse]

[collapse=Players & Lists]Living Player List:
1. hidajiremi Gheb_01*
2. vanderzant
3. The_Guide
4. Sworddancer. Super Smash Bros. Fan^
5. xxFrohawkxx
6. VitaminC Clownbot^
7. rPSI
8. Swiss
9. SwordsRBroken^
10. Kataefi*
11. McFox*
12. Ryker* The Paprika Killer^

^Denotes SE Slot
*Denotes IC Slot

Important Posts:
None.[/collapse]

[collapse=Set-Up]Down-Town [D5]:
This is an Open Set-Up with all roles randomly assigned:

5 Vanilla Townie
1 Town Miller
1 Town Cult-Leader
1 Town Doctor
1 Town Macho Cop
2 Mafiosi Goon
1 Mafiosi Godfather

Here are the Role PMs (your NAME will be in the collapse field instead of the Role Name):

[collapse=Vanilla Townie]It appears as if the Axis of Cosa Nostra has set-up hot-spots around the world, and has prepared to unleash an attack on the world that will cause an international crisis! Together with others from the Alliance of Nations you must find where these hot-spots are and destroy them! The Alliance of Nations includes Australia, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States. What country you belong to is irrelevant at this point though, as you must work together!

Role: Vanilla Townie
Abilities: Your only abilities are your voice and vote; now's the time to make them count!
Win Condition: You win once all threats to the town are eliminated.[/collapse]

[collapse=Town Miller]It appears as if the Axis of Cosa Nostra has set-up hot-spots around the world, and has prepared to unleash an attack on the world that will cause an international crisis! Together with others from the Alliance of Nations you must find where these hot-spots are and destroy them! The Alliance of Nations includes Australia, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States. What country you belong to is irrelevant at this point though, as you must work together!

Role: Vanilla Townie
Abilities: Your only abilities are your voice and vote; now's the time to make them count!

[collapse=Mod Note]Please note that the Town Miller is uninformed of being the Town Miller and instead receives a Vanilla Townie role PM. The Town Miller hails from Russia.[/collapse]

[collapse=Town Cult-Leader]It appears as if the Axis of Cosa Nostra has set-up hot-spots around the world, and has prepared to unleash an attack on the world that will cause an international crisis! Together with others from the Alliance of Nations you must find where these hot-spots are and destroy them! The Alliance of Nations includes Australia, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States. Personally you belong to Japan and are able to take advantage of some undercover technology that will allow you to communicate with your allies easier.

Role: Town Cult-Leader
Abilities: You may communicate with all cult members at all times in the following QuickTopic: link. If you use any other method of communication (Private Messages, AIM, MSN, etc...) then you must provide logs of these conversations by copying and pasting them into the QuickTopic. Each night you may send me the command "Cult: NAME". If the player targeted is a Mafiosi Goon or the Town Miller you will die. In any other situation the player will become a cult member (although this will not be reflected by a change in their role name). Your death triggers no special actions (such as the disbanding of the cult or an emergence of a new leader). You may not target yourself. You may elect to use the command "Cult: No Target".

[collapse=Town Doctor]It appears as if the Axis of Cosa Nostra has set-up hot-spots around the world, and has prepared to unleash an attack on the world that will cause an international crisis! Together with others from the Alliance of Nations you must find where these hot-spots are and destroy them! The Alliance of Nations includes Australia, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States. Personally you belong to Egypt and are able to take advantage of some undercover technology that will allow you to protect with your allies.

Role: Town Doctor
Abilities: Each night you may send me the command "Doctor: NAME". Lethal actions targeting this player will fail, however you will not be notified whether this was successful or not. You may not target yourself. You may elect to use the command "Doctor: No Target".

[collapse=Town Macho Cop]It appears as if the Axis of Cosa Nostra has set-up hot-spots around the world, and has prepared to unleash an attack on the world that will cause an international crisis! Together with others from the Alliance of Nations you must find where these hot-spots are and destroy them! The Alliance of Nations includes Australia, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States. Personally you belong to Brazil and are able to take advantage of some undercover technology that will allow you to investigate all others.

Role: Town Macho Cop
Abilities: Each night you may send me the command "Cop: NAME". You will be told if that player is Mafioso OR Townie. You may not target yourself. You may elect to use the command "Cop: No Target". Your sanity is guaranteed, however please note that the Town Miller and Mafiosi Godfather will yield Mafioso and Townie results respectively. If you are targeted for protection, lethal actions will still kill you.

[collapse=Mafiosi Goon]You have successfully set-up hot-spots around the world, and have prepared to unleash an attack on the world that will cause an international crisis! Together with your partner "Xiivi" Mafiosi Godfather and "Xiivi" Mafiosi Goon you have set up stations in Switzerland, Thailand, and Morocco to coordinate from.

Role: Mafiosi Goon
Abilities: You may communicate with your partner at all times in the following QuickTopic: link. If you use any other method of communication (Private Messages, AIM, MSN, etc...) then you must provide logs of these conversations by copying and pasting them into the QuickTopic. Each night you may send me the command "Murder: NAME". This player will be targeted by the mafia for a lethal action.
Win Condition: You win once your faction has an undeniable majority rule over all others or nothing can prevent this.[/collapse]

[collapse=Mafiosi Godfather]You have successfully set-up hot-spots around the world, and have prepared to unleash an attack on the world that will cause an international crisis! Together with your partner "Xiivi" and "Xiivi" Mafiosi Goons you have set up stations in Switzerland, Thailand, and Morocco to coordinate from. Your own base in Switzerland should prove useful in this war.

Role: Mafiosi Godfather
Abilities: You may communicate with your partner at all times in the following QuickTopic: link. If you use any other method of communication (Private Messages, AIM, MSN, etc...) then you must provide logs of these conversations by copying and pasting them into the QuickTopic. Each night you may send me the command "Murder: NAME". This player will be targeted by the mafia for a lethal action.
Win Condition: You win once your faction has an undeniable majority rule over all others or nothing can prevent this.[/collapse][/collapse]

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
/in as newbie.

It'll be nice to finish a game here for once. This time, rl shouldn't interfere. :laugh:

Swiss

Smash Lord
I'd quite like to join this but:

25) You are allowed to claim anti-town. However you are not allowed to claim anti-town and that another player is anti-town with you (either explicitly or implicitly). This will result in an automatic loss for your faction.

What????? If we can lie about everything else, why can we not lie about that? I mean, it's normally a bad thing to try and say, just seems like a silly rule.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I'd quite like to join this but:

25) You are allowed to claim anti-town. However you are not allowed to claim anti-town and that another player is anti-town with you (either explicitly or implicitly). This will result in an automatic loss for your faction.

What????? If we can lie about everything else, why can we not lie about that? I mean, it's normally a bad thing to try and say, just seems like a silly rule.
Either way you are screwing over another player in the game. Say if you claim "FML you guys are ****es. I am scum, sorry vanderzant I failed you man..." before being lynched (and you are scum). Vanderzant is done for either way. If he is scum, then the rest of the village has a huge case against him. If he's town, the village still has a massive case against him, and he'll probably get lynched anyway.

Hmm, I do love talking about myself in 3rd person XD.

Swiss

Smash Lord
But that's a scum tactic, when you're screwed, take a town down with you by pretending he's scum!

only if we play with people who are a) stupid b) a bad loser who wants to ruin the game is this rule necessary!

I'll play with it, but I'mma just putting it out there.

/in as super uber duper pr0

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Day 1 Begins after Confirmation Stage!

Deadline will be set once confirmations have completed.

It's takes 7/12 to lynch!

Day 1 Vote Count 0:
hidajiremi: (0)
Kataefi: (0)
McFox: (0)
RocketPSIence: (0)
Ryker: (0)
Swiss: (0)
Sworddancer.: (0)
SwordsRbroken: (0)
The_Guide: (0)
vanderzant: (0)
VitaminC: (0)
xxFrohawkxx: (0)
Not Voting: hidajiremi, Kataefi, McFox, RocketPSIence, Ryker, Swiss, Sworddancer., SwordsRbroken, The_Guide, vanderzant, VitaminC, xxFrohawkxx (
)

hidajiremi

Smash Rookie
The game is on! Awesome! This is my first forum Mafia game, so I hope that we can all have fun together and not get too heated (as I've sometimes seen my friends do when they play). ^_^

Hida Jiremi

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, i'm your SE! I'll answer any questions you have about mafia as we play!

There is something i think you should know first though.

At the beginning of almost every mafia game, there is a stage called the RVS. It stands for Random Voting Stage. In this stage, people just vote each other randomly until someone says something scummy. Something scummy is usually something that would give scum an advantage in the game.

I prefer discussion myself, as RVS doesn't always do much for town. Some people like to get town out of RVS by asking questions like, "@______ Who is scum?" It is too early to do it this game, as only a few have posted. But questions are one of town's greatest strengths. (Lynching is also one of their greatest strengths.)

Good luck to all newbies out there and let the games begin!

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
HAAII!
and welcome!

ancient legends say kataefi is the most mispronounced name on smashboards so just call me Kat or Kata or anything that makes me easier to address lol

I am NOT a girl! *shakes fist*

I find there is nothing to lose and everything to gain in asking good questions. If in doubt or you need any info, ASK!

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Hey guys, i'm your SE! I'll answer any questions you have about mafia as we play!

There is something i think you should know first though.

At the beginning of almost every mafia game, there is a stage called the RVS. It stands for Random Voting Stage. In this stage, people just vote each other randomly until someone says something scummy. Something scummy is usually something that would give scum an advantage in the game.

I prefer discussion myself, as RVS doesn't always do much for town. Some people like to get town out of RVS by asking questions like, "@______ Who is scum?" It is too early to do it this game, as only a few have posted. But questions are one of town's greatest strengths. (Lynching is also one of their greatest strengths.)

Good luck to all newbies out there and let the games begin!
And I'm one of the IC's.

Vote: RocketPSIence

And I will say that waaaaaaaaaay too many people underestimate the usefulness of RVS.

Now, I want to ask what experience everyone has had with mafia in general. IRL, AIMafia, Forum Mafia, etc.

I've been playing forum mafia for a year and more. It's where I got my start and my preferred method of play. I've also played the rare game of IRL mafia and quite a few impromptu games of AIMafia. That being said, I'm still relatively new to SWF forum mafia as I've played offsite most of the time.

One more question for one man in particular.

Kat, have I played a game with you? I know I've read games with you in them, but I can't remember if I've played with you.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Kat, have I played a game with you? I know I've read games with you in them, but I can't remember if I've played with you.
nuh uh I don't think we have Ryker, unless I'm mistaken.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Hello everyone. I'm Sworddancer, (please do not add the period at the end =p). I was in the last newbie mafia game, as some of you will already know. This is my second game of forum mafia, and my second game of mafia overall. I hope we all have a good game.

Vote hidajiremi

hidajiremi

Smash Rookie
Vote hidajiremi
I have to wonder, was this a random vote, or based on something I said in my first post? I'm mostly curious, since I think people explaining their votes goes a long way toward figuring things out. Since you didn't explain your vote, I can only assume that it's random. Take this as an opportunity to clarify. :)

Hida Jiremi

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Sup, everyone. Hoping to finish this game, unlike my other ones.

@ Ryker: I've played 1 game here on smashboards, which I had to replace out of. I'm currently in a second game on mafiascum (granted, I tried to replace out of that one, but the rl stuff that was forcing me to do so in that game kinda disappeared yesterday. I'm going to see if its too late for me to retract my statement.).

@ everyone: How would you describe your own playstyle? Are you aggressive, cautious, etc?

Also, Vote: Swiss. Totally obvious that he's the godfather.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Swords and Ryker, you guys realize that RVS isn't like, an actual official part of the game right? Very often discussions can start up immediately without being just random guessing by everybody that's just as useful.

Welcome newbies.

Swiss, I actually tried to change my name here to McToomin, because that's my online handle everywhere else, but people got up in arms that I changed my name because I've been here for so long. Also, admitting you're the godfather when you're accused isn't the best strategy I've seen.

Swiss

Smash Lord
Swiss, I actually tried to change my name here to McToomin, because that's my online handle everywhere else, but people got up in arms that I changed my name because I've been here for so long. Also, admitting you're the godfather when you're accused isn't the best strategy I've seen.
Why Toomin?

It was a Scooby Doo reference, I thought it was hilarious :(

Some people are yet to post, lurkers!

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Swords and Ryker, you guys realize that RVS isn't like, an actual official part of the game right? Very often discussions can start up immediately without being just random guessing by everybody that's just as useful.
Ah, but it happens often enough that it's worth saying. My point stands that a lot of people do not utilize RVS to its fullest.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Toomin is from the Animorphs book series. I was huge into the Animorphs as a teenager (I still think they're great).

I understand your point Ryker, I just disagree with saying in a game where we're teaching people how to play that "Okay, now this is the part of the game where you should just vote for people for no reason." This gives new players no indication of how this process helps them to find scum, and gives scum directions on how to hide behind random votes for a while. If you're going to encourage people to take part in RVS, it would be advantageous to explain not only what it is, but why it's done, and given what you're currently saying, how to utilize it to its fullest. Just saying that "most people don't take advantage of it" doesn't tell us how we can actually do that.

xxFrohawkxx

Smash Apprentice
Alright just got back home from school this is my second mafia game. At the first one I replaced some guy who quit so I never got to go though whatever RVS is.

Mcfox can you explain it? Is it about putting pressure on somebody until we find something scummish?

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
@the_guide i'd describe myself as a balanced player. I try to contribute to town when i can. People that i've played with may not agree with this, but it's hard for me to describe my own playstyle....

Top Bottom