• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2D or 3D?

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
in SSB64, most items and food were 2D sprites, due to both Graphical limits and the expected framerate I assume.

In SSBM, there were still quite a few things in 2D, mostly food but alot of other things, like samus' Energy shot and Ness' PK Thunder, etc.

Does anyone have an opinion on what should be made 3D in Brawl or are you satisfied with the 2D itterations?

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I hope they make more things 3D for Brawl, it was kind of weird seeing sprites and drawings in a 3D environment in Melee.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
True, although they were VERY high resolution sprites, I believe I would enjoy 3D a bit more on some things (I never minded the food sprites ;) )

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
the food was like that cuz it was from the kirby games in those games the food designed like that, but yeah more 3d would be cool

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I never really noticed OR cared about the 2D things. Just, Brawl is for the Wii, and the Wii is an amazing console. So I'd expect mostly everything in 3D.

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
I think there are no longer excuses (this being a next/new generation console) for things being 2-D.

But I still think the food should be 2D, because it justs looks kinda funny and cool.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
They already showed the fighting 2D, but it'd be nice to when you pause the game, you can view everything in 3D, somewhat like Melee, you know?

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
It's played in 2D, so the only difference it'll make is when you pause the game.

So in the end, I don't really care.
My thoughts exactly. Who cares. I'd rather the game run faster (especially in online mode, if there is one) than have better graphics. everything could be black and white with stickfigures for all I care.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
well as far as the hardware aspect of the wii goes, it's basically a repackaged gamecube, so in that respect it's not going to be a whole lot better, although there are always improvements in the actual software itself (as is evident from windwaker to twilight princess). As for the actual graphics, the screenshots speak for themselves in the sense that I haven't seen a single 2D object other then the background.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Willing to let the food slide, the food was soo cute as 2D!

Though its interesting how awesome this game is yet its still a side scroller eh?

Would be interesting for it to take a turn like... Naruto? There are different depth planes to fight in.. Though its kinda stupid since you would only be able to throw/shoot stuff at each other. And the slow none projectiles would get a huge disadvantage in tourneys..

-Onyx

Desruprot

Smash Lord
True enough, But by the looks of the items they appear to be 3D although the game itself could still be called 2.5D, I know this from a strategy game that I have, the way the game is, is similar to Paper Mario...If anyone wants to know what it is look for a game known as Star Wars: Empire at War...Anyways I think the majority of the game will be 2.5D asside from Menus or backgrounds of stages (i.e. Yoshi's Story).

bksands77

Smash Journeyman
i say it comes packaged with 3d glasses, making everything pop out lol

or they make everything 2d, except for mr. game and watch, and upgrade him to 5d

WarxePB

Smash Ace
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/fox/fox_070621b.jpg says that there still will be 2d objects in Brawl. Fox's Reflector is doing exactly what it did when you paused the game and rotated the camera - it looks flashier now, but it's probably the same basic code. Shields and such just don't work if they're in 3d - it takes a relatively large amount of polygons to get a round object, so it's easier just to make them static images and have the side-effect of not moving in the 3d plane.

gregWHO

Smash Cadet
Food should still be in 2D. I mean there was a reason why it wasn't 3D in melee to begin with. It just sets it apart from the other items. They also looked sillier and more random in 2D, which seems to fit the whole concept of smash bros since the original.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
I don't wanteverything to be 3D, just stuff like energy balls. But I do hope they highly upgrade things like trees...

*Posting from my wii :)

Snakey

Smash Cadet
Of all the items, Crates / Barrels should be the 3D ones -- just because they're bigger and have more detail. Smaller items, such as bumpers, wouldn't change much with the additional dimension.

Now if there were a stage where it rotated 90 degrees on the depth plane and characters could play for example on lylat's length (like in sector-Z, from ssb), then it'd rotate again so players play on the ship's width again(like lylat) -- it'd be sweet! It'd be so close to 3D gameplay, because you have to watch that dimension when it changes so you know where to position yourself ;)

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
Of all the items, Crates / Barrels should be the 3D ones -- just because they're bigger and have more detail. Smaller items, such as bumpers, wouldn't change much with the additional dimension.

Now if there were a stage where it rotated 90 degrees on the depth plane and characters could play for example on lylat's length (like in sector-Z, from ssb), then it'd rotate again so players play on the ship's width again(like lylat) -- it'd be sweet! It'd be so close to 3D gameplay, because you have to watch that dimension when it changes so you know where to position yourself ;)
OH MY GOD~!

That made me think, there is probably gonna be a paper mario stage where the stage will rotate left and right , changing like paper mario.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
Not EXACTLY...
Considering the fact that I asked what should be kept 2D and should be 3D, it wasn't all that irrelavent that we mentioned a 2D/3D fighting styled level.

I never mentioned anything about only certain things...

Snakey

Smash Cadet
Thanks Spazznid.
The dimensions of stage details can be perfectly relevant to the discussion of item dimensions. They're each two elements that make up the detail during gameplay.

Top Bottom