• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 The Death of a viable samus

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Eh I doubt ivy or samus will see too much success
On the bright side, we now have debug mode. I'll definitely be in the lab working on tricks/gimmicks for recovering (I know it can suck to rely on gimmicks... meh). The only real issue is testing the various situations properly and to a full extent. I'll just use the frame advance to learn how to maximize my recovery options.

Litt

Samus
On the bright side, we now have debug mode. I'll definitely be in the lab working on tricks/gimmicks for recovering (I know it can suck to rely on gimmicks... meh). The only real issue is testing the various situations properly and to a full extent. I'll just use the frame advance to learn how to maximize my recovery options.
Gratz you learned how to use debug mode, thats been around forever in melee, and it doesnt help better utilize options where they arent present.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I grew up playing 64 and not Melee...
Not everyone was fortunate enough to own Melee, let alone use the debug. I only have Marth as my Melee main to represent my secondary in PM (but I main him in Melee whenever I get the chance to play with my friend, however casual)

Debug can be useful in finding different techniques to recovering. I'm sure people will be finding frame perfect techs in the near future of 3.5 albeit they might be too difficult to perform consistently.

As for the blatant options where they presently stand, mix it up. Just be unpredictable when recovering. I like to always have at least two different options available to me in any situation. It's a good rule of thumb to never do anything more than twice too. For example, if you catch your opponent on the ledge with a f-air when you're recovering and then you do it a second time, mix it up by fastfalling then double jump into a wall jump or something. Alternatively, you could up-b early. Even if you have sub-optimal options, choosing them at the opportune time can prove to be equally useful.

If Samus starts to perform really poorly in the near future, PMDT will hopefully solve any issues. It isn't apparent to me that anything is wrong with her but I might be wrong. Yes, I can wholeheartedly admit that I'm not always correct. I'll just tackle any of my character's obstacles, come what may.

I'm just going to go play some Smash now, 64 or PM. :)

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Barbie you are quite honestly the rudest person I've ever seen on the boards, and I've lurked this place for a good 5 years. You maybe skilled, idk I've never seen you play, and you definitely have some good points about the tether nerfs that I agree with, but that doesn't excuse the content of your posts. You'll be taken more seriously if you refrain from constantly being condescending and insulting to the other members on here, even if you find them unintelligent.

Litt

Samus
Barbie you are quite honestly the rudest person I've ever seen on the boards, and I've lurked this place for a good 5 years. You maybe skilled, idk I've never seen you play, and you definitely have some good points about the tether nerfs that I agree with, but that doesn't excuse the content of your posts. You'll be taken more seriously if you refrain from constantly being condescending and insulting to the other members on here, even if you find them unintelligent.
Dudeeee I know, but at the end of the day, i just don't care, I act the way I feel I should act, and I don't feel a boost in what I say being taken any more seriously than they already are, because well, I have proven myself in both skill and validity of what I say, I just don't always say it in the dandiest of ways, and yes I recognize it, yes, probally not the best way to speak in any situation, but I have been slipping a lot lately, admittedly and I'll tone it back, thanks for the feedback

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
That's fair, as long as you recognize what you're doing and that there's room for improvement, your're doing good by my standards. And no prob duder.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Barbie is a snarky, ill-tempered douche-canoe. But he's our snarky, ill-tempered douche-canoe.

Litt

Samus
Barbie is a snarky, ill-tempered douche-canoe. But he's our snarky, ill-tempered douche-canoe.
But thats why I can get away with it... because you accept it ;p. I don't, and neither does anyone else here... tolerate it from newer members or anyone else, b/c I iz a special azz hole, I am your guys azz hole. And despite **** coming out, I'm still a vital part of the body and you couldn't eliminate that waste without me xDDD

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
But thats why I can get away with it... because you accept it ;p. I don't, and neither does anyone else here... tolerate it from newer members or anyone else, b/c I iz a special *** hole, I am your guys *** hole. And despite **** coming out, I'm still a vital part of the body and you couldn't eliminate that waste without me xDDD
Play Metroid already! I'm reccomending Super Metroid, the Prime series, Zero Mission, and the one only I seem to really like, Fusion. Get emulators if you have to. And ditto me on wifi if you live in Texas. And the whole point of this is to say I'm no longer a n00b to Samus forums even though all of that was completely unrelated. If I'm getting harassed by you then it means I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for being such a condescending and arrogant asshole! That way I'll get depressed if I get whupped. It like getting banned!

( obvious sarcasm is now obvious even though it was obvious but if you didn't think it was obvious then obviously you are obviously obvious and obviously none of this is funny and I just trolled you -_- )

Oh yeah, I think his zair is useful for interrupting camp if you space it well but not much else. And I think the Meta Knight matchup is slight disadvantage. MK bodies floaties, you won't recover because his edgeguarding is godlike, and he outprioritizes you while have the same range. Pick big stages people. BIG STAGES. Someone counterpicked me with him when I chose Wario Ware on wifi. The SAAAALT. By big stages, I mean medium stages like Battlefield and PS2 or Distant Planet. All of them are amazing Samus stages IMO.

Litt

Samus
Play Metroid already! I'm reccomending Super Metroid, the Prime series, Zero Mission, and the one only I seem to really like, Fusion. Get emulators if you have to. And ditto me on wifi if you live in Texas. And the whole point of this is to say I'm no longer a n00b to Samus forums even though all of that was completely unrelated. If I'm getting harassed by you then it means I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for being such a condescending and arrogant *******! That way I'll get depressed if I get whupped. It like getting banned!

( obvious sarcasm is now obvious even though it was obvious but if you didn't think it was obvious then obviously you are obviously obvious and obviously none of this is funny and I just trolled you -_- )

Oh yeah, I think his zair is useful for interrupting camp if you space it well but not much else. And I think the Meta Knight matchup is slight disadvantage. MK bodies floaties, you won't recover because his edgeguarding is godlike, and he outprioritizes you while have the same range. Pick big stages people. BIG STAGES. Someone counterpicked me with him when I chose Wario Ware on wifi. The SAAAALT. By big stages, I mean medium stages like Battlefield and PS2 or Distant Planet. All of them are amazing Samus stages IMO.
^ much better contribution than before lol, but nah we have a chain grab on mk, and he has a very difficult time dealing with our projectiles... because his sword has transitive properties like fox's lasers... ie... the sword dont break missiles and he gets ****s up fast especially with the ice set, then get him flying above you... jump canceled running ice up smashes, and Dding on the ground, just roll away... zair and keep him away, your goal is to never actively engage metaknight, just punishing him for approaching you... which he has to do

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
^ much better contribution than before lol, but nah we have a chain grab on mk, and he has a very difficult time dealing with our projectiles... because his sword has transitive properties like fox's lasers... ie... the sword dont break missiles and he gets ****s up fast especially with the ice set, then get him flying above you... jump canceled running ice up smashes, and Dding on the ground, just roll away... zair and keep him away, your goal is to never actively engage metaknight, just punishing him for approaching you... which he has to do
Meta Knight can jump over projectiles and a smart MK would stuff Samus by nair planeing or rollercoastering her hopefully to death. If the stage has platforms, MK can out camp her but if it doesn't, Samus can't outcamp him 'naw wut I mean. As a Meta Knight player, I have the patience of a middle school teacher but one hit and I will probably edgeguard or combo you to death because I have been trained in the ways of the punish by Darth Bane/victini and also by watching Lawn Chair and K9. Lawn Chair's punishes are the best. And Samus's grab isn't the most reliable thing in the universe. It kinda sucks honestly even with the range, it's so freakin slow.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
If it's anything like it was last patch, it's pretty up in her favor. Esam has shown me. Didn't like

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Yeah, I've always had difficulty with the MK match up as well. I've found that unless you can consistently SDI his upairs down and in, you're just going to get juggled forever. Not to mention, they buffed his Shuttle Loop's BKB, so he can up air chain into Shuttle Loop and kill us on lower ceilings.

Essentially, you need to constantly missile spam and camp, otherwise he can close the gap on you and do some big damage. And, if you're playing against even a half-decent MK, attempting to recover is just silly a lot of the time.

Litt

Samus
Oh I brain farted and said disadvantage sorry. It's even. I changed my mind once I learned the matchup. Again, sorry.
Again, learn from this about asking about X instead of posting about X to save yourself time typing out a paragraph that may prove be wrong
Yeah, I've always had difficulty with the MK match up as well. I've found that unless you can consistently SDI his upairs down and in, you're just going to get juggled forever. Not to mention, they buffed his Shuttle Loop's BKB, so he can up air chain into Shuttle Loop and kill us on lower ceilings.

Essentially, you need to constantly missile spam and camp, otherwise he can close the gap on you and do some big damage. And, if you're playing against even a half-decent MK, attempting to recover is just silly a lot of the time.
Thats just simple not true... you just need to fast fall fair or up air when knocked off the side, so MK has no means of killing you off the bottom, if anything he may try to nair you, but your nairs and UP b will save you from it, I am dissapointed to hear how much trouble the majority of your sami have with the MU because it really is not that bad at all, only been one MK i have lost to and it was a pretty damn good player at zenith think it was Guru, also I think the cg should be even easier in 3.5 and you would wanna take MK to a med size stage so you can still get early enough kills without giving him too much space to avoid the missiles.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
You know, Barbie. Your kind of attitude reminds me of some user over at KC:MM, some certain user who always got away for doing everything that was against the rules (not implying that you did also, just saying) and always called people, names and the mods just let them at it, but even the littlest bit of questioning of his vulgar cooperation with others and are slammed with a BS ban. Might you know who that individual was?

To also keep it on topic i am rather disappointment in Samus' nerf on her Z tether.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
To be fair, Barbie, I don't really get to practice PM outside of tournament, and I've only got one MK in my area, and he always places top 5. I've been learning the MU bit by bit, but it's still very foreign to me and I just don't enjoy how it plays.

Litt

Samus
You know, Barbie. Your kind of attitude reminds me of some user over at KC:MM, some certain user who always got away for doing everything that was against the rules (not implying that you did also, just saying) and always called people, names and the mods just let them at it, but even the littlest bit of questioning of his vulgar cooperation with others and are slammed with a BS ban. Might you know who that individual was?

To also keep it on topic i am rather disappointment in Samus' nerf on her Z tether.
Oh the zair nerf was deserved, but no I dont know who that individual was, but having it as a jab reset follow up half way across the stage is even more useful than what the zair was before imo :p

As for
To be fair, Barbie, I don't really get to practice PM outside of tournament, and I've only got one MK in my area, and he always places top 5. I've been learning the MU bit by bit, but it's still very foreign to me and I just don't enjoy how it plays.
I never played brawl, and I dont practice the game outside tourney either dude :p... just dont let MK get below you, and dont get grabbed lol, those are the only 2 things you should really focus on in the MU

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I dont know... click on your address bar and type in"www.youtube.com", if you cant find any by typing in "Esam (samus) vs MK" then I would assume not
The only one I found was seibrik vs him. I was hoping for more recent things than 7 months ago. I was just hoping you guys had a few you would recommend to really learn the match up.

Litt

Samus
The only one I found was seibrik vs him. I was hoping for more recent things than 7 months ago. I was just hoping you guys had a few you would recommend to really learn the match up.
How would we have a few to recommend of esam if the only one was against seibrik? Unless you meant in general... which you could also have searched yourself, or looked through the video archive yourself. But alas, no there is not many videos out there of the MK Samus MU, if you want I can talk you through aspects of the MU you are having issues with, just shoot me a message.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Again, learn from this about asking about X instead of posting about X to save yourself time typing out a paragraph that may prove be wrong
I meant that I meant to put even but my brain was wandering so I put slight disadvantage.
If it's anything like it was last patch, it's pretty up in her favor. Esam has shown me. Didn't like
Well we can gimp the hell out of samus now. Like it's almost sad. They both hardcore destroy each other though.

Litt

Samus
Woulda loved to see Plup do the ditto game 3, but meh what are ya gonna do

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Reviving a 6 month old thread to say samus is amazing, top ten character, and her recovery is still amazing too
Also something barbie said about technical feats separating good players from great players; that's stupid too. Technical prowess separates players who practice in the lab from players who practice outside the lab. That's really the only difference.

Litt

Samus
Reviving a 6 month old thread to say samus is amazing, top ten character, and her recovery is still amazing too
Also something barbie said about technical feats separating good players from great players; that's stupid too. Technical prowess separates players who practice in the lab from players who practice outside the lab. That's really the only difference.
I think you misunderstand, in melee it is required to put work in the lab because of the amount of practice one needs with their character to be able to properly and competently control them, which separates the wheat from the chaff, in PM, the game lowers skill ceils for pure movement as well as regular tech skill, so no in this game, very little lab practice is required to be considered "good"

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I don't really think it's stupid to say great players are more technical than good players. I also think the definition of "technical" in drinkingfood's mind is different from technical in essence. Tech skill is the ability to do x consistently and correctly. A lot of this is spoken of in the context of Spacies, but that's solely due to their massive array of options in Melee compared to everyone else. Nonetheless, that translates to pushing lots of buttons. However, X can be greatly varied or rather narrow. Something as simple as wavedashing the proper length is technical, imo. All of DF's edgeguarding flowcharts would also classify as tech skill, as it's putting hitboxes into the precisely right places. Similarly, though, I don't think Barbie has such a lax definition. Project M is easier tech in some respects, but it's far harder in other respects.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
I think you misunderstand, in melee it is required to put work in the lab because of the amount of practice one needs with their character to be able to properly and competently control them, which separates the wheat from the chaff, in PM, the game lowers skill ceils for pure movement as well as regular tech skill, so no in this game, very little lab practice is required to be considered "good"
Lowers the skill floor, skill ceiling is higher.

Litt

Samus
Lowers the skill floor, skill ceiling is higher.
Depends what you define as skill, mental exploration of options... Sure but the lower skill ceilings don't seperate players willing to put work into the lab from those that just play the game casually, it's why melee greats can just pick up Pm and win a tourny but Pm only players flop when they attempt th same transition

Litt

Samus
That describes the affect of a lower floor.
When the tech is possible for any player to do, the over all possible ceiling of tech to extend ones game is lowered as a result of the game being more forgiving

Top Bottom