• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Detective #1 - D4 begins

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Fundamentals
1. Disputes with and private questions for me should be handled through PM or instant messaging. If you notice that I have made a simple mistake or if you have a simple question, please address them in the thread in bold.
2. No one dies in this game, ever, under any circumstances. Please do not give up and simply announce your role publicly as a way of seceding; you've always got a chance in this game!
3. Unless your role PM specifically allows you the power, you are not to communicate with anyone about this game outside of this game thread. This includes posting content outside of the game thread and linking to it in the game thread. If your role PM does allow you this power, you are to post all conversations in a quick topic. Copy paste instant messages. They're amusing.
4. Editing your posts is not allowed.
5. I reserve the right to deny anyone from signing up/replacing.
6. Personally attacking another player is not allowed.
7. You are not allowed to quote any mod communication of any kind, real or fake, to anyone. You must paraphrase all information you wish to claim. You are not allowed to post or refer to any images in your role PM, nor may you post metadata about mod PMs in an attempt to break the game (e.g., message ID in the URL, time of day the message was sent, etc.).
8. Do not attempt to post generally unreadable or hidden text, as by changing the text color to match or resemble the page background. (Spoiler tags are allowed because they are easily noticeable. This rule is not meant to disallow breadcrumbing within the visible text of a message.)
9. You may not use ciphers, encryption, or similar techniques.
10. You must post in English when typing a post.
11. All the rules in this post are constant, but powers and statements by the mod in a role PM can trump them.

Activity and Deadline
1. You are required to post every 72 hours. If you fail to do so, you will be prodded. An accumulation of too many prods over the course of the game (however many I think that is) will result in your replacement. When feasible, I will tell you if I'm considering replacing you. If you will be inactive for an extended period of time, you must notify me in advance. Unexcused or particularly long absences may result in your replacement.
2. We will have strict day cycles set on 7 days in real life. The town must stay active if they hope to succeed.
3. There are no Deadline extensions ever.
4. Nights will generally last approximately 48 hours. Please send in Night Actions promptly; if the deadline is reached and you haven't sent in an action, you will "stay put".

What "Detective" is:

Detective is a game of strategy, manipulation, pattern recognition and problem solving. There are only two sides, town and scum. Scum's goal is to find both treasures on the same Night phase; only then will scum win the game. Town's goal is to prevent this by jailing both scum players during the Day phase; only then will town win the game.

In addition to the standard Detective players, there is also a treasure moving townie for each treasure. They only know of their treasure. They receive no special information about their treasure.

Day Phases:

During the Day phase, you vote for two players to be jailed.

You may not change your vote once it is cast; this adds a seriousness to the votes and prevents the prolonging of the Day phase. You do not need to vote for both players in the same post.

Please bold your votes and label them as "Jail 1" or "Jail 2".

Example Vote:

Jail 1: Overswarm
Jail 2: Marc
Everyone must vote for the Day phase to end before the deadline. If the deadline is reached, those with the highest votes will be jailed. If there are multiple ties, no one will be jailed.

Once everyone has voted and the Day phase ends, the Night phase will immediately begin. There is no posting during the Night phase. Players jailed during the Night phase will be unable to do any actions during the Night phase.

Night Phases:

During the Night phase, every player has the option to either

A) Visit a location
B) Follow a player
C) Stay put

When you visit a location, you are told if any treasure is there. If the scum players each visit a different treasure on the same turn, they win; there is one treasure for each scum player.

When you follow a player, you receive the same information as if you said you were going to visit the location they chose.

When you stay put nothing happens. Every jailed player automatically "stays put" and is counted as such.

Treasure movers also have a fourth action: Move Treasure. The treasure movers can opt to move treasure from one location to another by signifying BOTH locations. This allows them to move treasure they didn't even know was there.

Example said:
I want to move treasure from Area 2 to Area 4
They will not be told if their result was successful, but there are no roleblocking abilities in this game. If a treasure was an area 2, it would have been moved to area 4 in the example.

Mod note: Treasure Movers do NOT receive information about treasure that other players wouldn't receive. A Treasure Mover can, in fact, hide a Treasure from another Treasure Mover by guessing where a treasure is and moving it. Treasure Movers can move ANY treasure.

While moving a treasure, the treasure effectively exists in two locations simultaneously for anyone visiting either location. This includes for endgame; if you are moving the treasure from 2 to 4 and then Scum visits 2, they will have "found" that a treasure is in location two. Ditto to area 4.

Scum cannot win by finding the same treasure in two locations.

Scum cannot win by one player finding two treasures simultaneously

If anyone followers a treasure mover while he's visiting a location, they will visit the location he is moving the treasure to (in the example, anyone following the Treasure Mover would have been given results for Area 4)

After everyone puts in their actions, they receive their results privately. No one can speak outside of the game during the Night phase unless otherwise stated in their role PMs. In a Detective game this should only be scum.

After everyone has privately received their results, the mod will publicly announce how many people visited each location, followed each player, or stayed put. The mod never releases names, only amounts.

Example Night results:

Area 1 - 2 visitors
Area 2 - 1 visitor
Area 3 - 3 visitors

Stay put - 2 players

Player 1 - 1 follower
Player 2 - 0 followers
Player 3 - 0 followers
Player Roles:
4 Detectives
2 Treasure Moving Townies

2 Scum Treasure Thieves

Treasure moving townies can move treasure. Everyone else only has three Night possibilities: Staying put, visiting a location, or following a player.

Scum and Treasure Moving roles may have disadvantages. These disadvantages are privately administered; it is up to the players if they want to reveal them. They can be anything from "you cannot do the same action every Night" or "you can't move the treasure every Night" to "you cannot visit these specific locations" or more.

Detectives should try to figure these disadvantages out as the game progresses to narrow down their suspects, as only treasure movers and scum have them.

Treasure Movers should hide their disadvantages so detectives don't jail them unwittingly, and so that scum doesn't know to follow them every Night to locate the treasure.

Scum should hide their disadvantages so they don't get found out as scum!

This is the first Detective game I've played with people I don't know in real life. Making this game with them was a lot of fun, but I have no idea how this will turn out in this setting.

I've lowered the locations on the map (we're using megaman bosses) to increase the speed of this game.

This game can last a long time if people don't stay on the ball and play intelligently.

Numbers assuming an 8 location map said:
A pure brute force approach by town, jailing two people every Day with no repeating pairs, would take 29 Day phases.

A pure brute force by scum would take less, since once they found a treasure there would only be 7 possibilities for their teammate assuming the original treasure wasn't moved.

Assuming treasure movers moved both treasures every day, that means there is roughly a 50% chance of scum finding treasure when guessing randomly. If the treasures are not moved daily, this gives a 25% chance for each scum player to find a treasure.

In other words, the game is meant to be set up to where Town will be massacred if they don't get tough and really scumhunt. How you do that in this game is up for you guys to find out.
Player list:

Ranmaru
Soupamario,
Zen,
Vanderzant,
J,
Ryker
Nabe
Red_Ryu

Replacements:
Rajam

Your Map:

We have a Megaman 2 map! Each boss (including Dr. Wily) is a potential location for the treasure. You'll just say "I want to visit Wood Man" or "I want to move the treasure from Flash man to Crash man" and the like instead of numbers.

Sending out invites based on interest in the social thread. Please confirm in this thread if you're in the tentative player list and/or have received an invite.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Look up in the sky,
It's a bird, it's a plane,
It's Airman, *****,
and I'm bringing the pain.
I got a fan installed
in my grill--NO LIE--
and I'mma blow your ***
straight off the map.

Good-bye.

Confirm.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Look up in the sky,
It's a bird, it's a plane,
It's Airman, *****,
and I'm bringing the pain.
I got a fan installed
in my grill--NO LIE--
and I'mma blow your ***
straight off the map.

Good-bye.

Confirm.
duane and brando reference, 10respects man.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Don't have the time to play this atm. Maybe next time, thanks a lot for the invitation though - it's very appreciated!

:059:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We need two more, Dark Hose / Gheb are unable to play. Vanderzant has one slot if he can play, the other is open if you know anyone that wants to.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I'll join. I just read it and I'm thoroughly interested. I was just gonna watch but if you need someone I could try it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ryker's in.

This is all first come first serve, so Vanderzant is up for the remaining slot since he expressed interest in the other thread. J is next in line since he was after Ryker here.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
might not start today if I don't get confirmation from e'ry bodeh

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hmmm, Gordito having family issues.

J, you willing to replace Gordito?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Day 1 begins!

Jail the scum! Everyone must vote to end the day early!

Deadline is July 6th at 3:00 p.m.

Remember.... once you vote, your vote is STUCK for that day. This isn't like mafia where you can vote repeatedly.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Okay, so we need to look at this is a whole new perspective.

Player list:
Gova - Hi! so your shining face not be jailed tonight? explain why we shouldn't jail you or my vote shouldn't be on you.
Washed Laundry - I'm gonna try and trust you the most, ok? so it's your job to not slip up!
Soupamario - hey there bby
JO_OEY - I'm giving you a 50 feet restriction from J this game, how do you react?
Zen - I can read you well, this shouldn't be a problem.
Vanderzant - I don't know you at all!
J - Who will you buddy this game?
Ryker - Are you scum? this is a rhetorical question.

I propose that we use FoS or another way of keeping track of who we suspect, seeing how we can't vote and unvote.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Good, you're on my wavelength on that one.

USE FoSES TO KEEP TRACK. Someone (lol probably me) will have to keep a finger count but whatever.

No questions, dunno what type of behavior I'm looking for. It's probably not the same as Mafia behavior, though it might be very similar.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia

Soupa, I don't buddy people just to buddy you realize? I buddy based off of other things. Most of your other questions/responses are dumb. It's like your trying to act like someone you aren't.

FoS's are a great way and if needed I can help keep track of them as well however so kudos.

This is definitely gonna be a different experience and kind of can't wait to try this out. And once again, I really like the player list of this game so yay, here's to that.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Good, you're on my wavelength on that one.

USE FoSES TO KEEP TRACK. Someone (lol probably me) will have to keep a finger count but whatever.

No questions, dunno what type of behavior I'm looking for. It's probably not the same as Mafia behavior, though it might be very similar.
The hell...

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Zen, random question, how many games have you played with Soupa?

Can you read him apparantly as easily as he can you?

Top Bottom