• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Detective #1 - D4 begins

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Can we play another one? I wanna start out fresh :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Someone else can run one, but I'm busy with Time Travel at the moment.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Is anyone in objection to releasing the scum/thief qt?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I feel I would literally WIFOM myself to death if I ever played one of these games. I already do it enough in mafia games as it is.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Dang looks like you guys had it tough. I don't think it was impossible for scum to win though. WL happened to be scummy and didn't play his way out of Jail. If Ryker had been scum, he would have pretty much had 4 days to look for treasure before he was jailed. And his treasure mover claim would have been a great excuse as to why he was visiting places.

Though after 1 town claims treasure mover, scum can't claim mover and go the route above.

Still, playing townie during the day and lying about what you did during the night could have gotten you the win. Youd have to find the treasure within a certain amount of days but it's possible. And the blackouts would have helped with that. Speaking of which, I think OS added those in during like the middle of d1 :p

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
He did, but I think the problem lies with the fact that town really has no reason to visit any spot and thus it makes it harder to blend in. If I was town, I would have only tracked other people or stayed put because there really isn't a motivation for me to visit spots. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and didn't think about it hard enough.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I had trouble getting out of a jail. Once J put the votes down I was doomed.

Was no one's fault, I think WL was just acting like he didn't care about being jailed, but realized that probably shouldn't have been the way he should have played.

I RLLY NEEDED MY NABEEEY

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
He did, but I think the problem lies with the fact that town really has no reason to visit any spot and thus it makes it harder to blend in. If I was town, I would have only tracked other people or stayed put because there really isn't a motivation for me to visit spots. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and didn't think about it hard enough.
See, this is a misconception that I think a lot of people had in this game. (I'll elaborate on this with anyone who wants to discuss it when I'm a bit better :p)

But basically, there was a possibility that a treasure mover had to move treasure every X amount of nights. If the vanilla townies just follows each other (and scum do whatever to blend in) the treasure movers will stick out like a sore thumb, especially with how mass claim happy town was. If only 1 or two townies are ever visiting locations, then they are eventually going to be outed as Movers to scum.

Also Zen did you feel my psychic powers trying to tell you to get soup off my back because I wanted to move the treasure :p.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd just take the training wheels off. 2 or 3 day long Day phases, 24 hours Night phases, a few more locations, and more numerous / stricter restrictions for both parties.

This was kind of a watered down version of detective, it being the first one I didn't want people getting caught immediately because a treasure mover's restriction was "you must move treasure every night" and "you must move the treasure only to an adjacent square and you cannot move back to a square you've put a treasure on in the past two nights" and some genius townie said "let's all stay home", which happens with every new batch of players.

Gamewide restrictions are also possible, though I never used them. The restriction "you cannot jail the same person two times in a row" is a pretty hefty one I never liked, since it nearly guarantees a scum win.

My biggest issue with this game from a gameplay perspective was Washed Laundry giving up early and saying "BUT COME ON GUYS I'M SCUM" when explaining his issue with Zen's playstyle. That and Nabe saying "it was me! I was the only one who visited a location!", effectively nailing him as scum as well. As for town, I was disappointed with people not going for Zen's plan, effectively handicapping themselves; I was impressed with how everyone managed to stay on WL though, even though it was an easy decision.

From a mod perspective, I really hated the long days. The first Day, sure, that'll last a week. But when other phases would last a week I was just like "huh?" because you don't really get THAT much information during the Day. You can plan during the day and analyze the Night actions, but you don't get much farther than that. o_o

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Yeah no idea why Nabe claimed that he visited Heat Man, but we were going to jail him that day anyway so meh.

This game is sort of like Day 1 mafia over and over again, with not so solid info coming across each day. I don't mind it I guess, it's more gut based scum hunting during the day and pattern recognition at night. I like it.

Is mass claiming a pretty standard thing in these games? I didn't really see a negative too it. Only bad thing would be that it could help scum figure out the treasure movers if they have some weird restriction.

It's zen's fault we didn't use his plan :p. Everyone else agreed to it except him.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Mass claiming has been 100% scum win rate, to my knowledge, but I've only seen it happen like two or three times. What ends up happening is someone will say "I'm a treasure mover" and then the other treasure mover says "me too". Eventually someone visits where the treasure is, treasure mover panics and has to move the treasure, because other townies were liek "lol lets all stay put so we can find scum lol" they stick out like a sore thumb and then town has to decide who to follow said treasure mover openly, giving scum a potential free ride to treasure every night. Even if there isn't, it's always obvious when the treasure is moved to scum at that point so they only need one scum member to locate both treasures.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Oh sorry OS I mean mass "action" claiming, where everyone claims what they did in the night. Is it better for townies to try and piece together the information on their own, so as to not out Treasure movers (which could possibly happen if town as you say just stays home every Night), or is it better to have everyone claim "I visited so and so." I assume it would be the latter, but I'm interested to see how other, more seasoned detectives approach it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
There really aren't too many "seasoned" detectives, since we didn't play it for too awful long. Most of the time people ended up talking about it in one way or another to try to narrow it down, but scum was generally able to blend in.

Top Bottom