• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroics - X Team - A GAME OF CAT & MOUSE

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Welcome to Heroics!

Heroics is a superhero-themed RPG adventure played entirely by posting in a thread, so unlike the more common adventure games played on this forum, there will be no AIM commitment to play and everyone can read along. A couple of points to note before you sign up:

• As this is an RPG, there will be some dice checks to determine the success of certain actions. These will all be done by the moderator.
  • However, we will not have an excessive amount of stats that must be checked and maintained throughout the game. MOST actions will be treated like an adventure game, with the GM determining an outcome based on common sense and previous game actions.
  • This will be a role playing game, which means you will be posting in character. If you don't feel comfortable writing a character, then don't sign up.
  • You must commit to at least 3 posts in a week, but ideally you will be posting more often so the game keeps moving. If you cannot commit to 3 posts a week, please do not sign up. Of course, if you need to go V/LA, then you may notify me so we can make accommodations.

Rules
Here's how the game is going to work:

1. Once characters have been created (see second post for character creation information!) we will start the game with all the characters being gathered to together to recieve their mission. Players will then begin posting in character!
  2. If a player needs to ask the mod a question or make an out of context comment, the player should label the comment as such using this tag: "==OOC==" and then putting the out of context comments below.
  3. Players will then embark on their mission and will continue to post in character. The moderator will post to implement any scene changes and the players will react to each situation. This may require conversation or it may require action!, so be prepared to write and have some fun.
  4. If an action has an important outcome, the GM will roll a die to determine the outcome. The result of the dice roll and the result of the action will posted by the GM and the story will continue.
  5. Periodically during the game, the GM will present players with a puzzle or challenge. The player who posts a solution first will advance the story and earn points towards becoming the game MVP.
  6. The GM can also award points towards MVP for particularly good, interesting or well-written posts. So even if you aren't the fastest puzzle solver, you still have a shot at earning the MVP title.
  7. When the players have completed their mission or failed entirely, the game will end.
  8. And believe me when I say, you can fail miserably. If you act foolishly, not only can you fail the mission but your character could be killed off before the mission is complete. So play smart and work as a team!

This is a game for 6-12 players, depending on interest. Please post to sign up, but not until I've added posts #2 and #3. Anyone posting before I get the other two opening posts up will be fed to Garbodor and possibly banned from the game.

1. Pythag (in via AIM conversation earlier. Dealwithit.gif) - PROFILE TURNED IN
2. Mic_128 - PROFILE TURNED IN
3. Evil Eye - PROFILE TURNED IN
4. tmw_redcell - PROFILE TURNED IN
6. Kantrip - PROFILE TURNED IN
7. DtJ Glyphmoney - PROFILE TURNED IN
8. Ryker - PROFILE TURNED IN
9. vVv ChiboSempai - PROFILE TURNED IN
10. Scav - PROFILE TURNED IN
11. Gheb_01 - PROFILE TURNED IN
12. Brosuke - PROFILE TURNED IN

OUT
5. Orboknown

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Character Creation

To keep the game fair and balanced, players will not just pick any superpower they want and roll with it. Instead, once players have been confirmed, they will each send me their top three desired powers. I recommend using:

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki

to find some ideas for powers. Once those three powers have been submitted, I will review your desired powers against the needs of the game and work with you to develop a fun and fair set of powers for your character. The general guidelines for power creation so you aren't too disappointed from the get-go:

• Powers will have limits in this game! You cannot be as powerful as Superman. You cannot have "Omnipotence" as your power of choice. You cannot have infinite knowledge.
  • While you will help guide the character creation, the GM gets to set the limits of your powers. That means that we might settle on "flight" as your power, but the GM sets the maximum speed, height, distance, etc of that flight.
  • Consider this: Everyone in this game will be considered a kind of "rookie" superhero. So your powers may grow over the course of the game based on the story and how the dice roll for you!
  • Try to pick powers that will be useful in a variety of situations. Having the ability to communicate with dogs is awesome, but it limits the storytelling potential a little bit.
  • Some powers may "come as a set." For instance, some kind of animal-based powers might involve enhanced strength and senses, but don't get too pushy about adding a bunch of related powers. Remember, give your character room to grow!
  • We'd like to avoid repeating powers, so be prepared to chat with the GM about some other possibilities if your first three don't work out. I want everyone to have fun so I'm going to work to make sure people are happy with their powers, but the game has to stay fun and fair for the whole party.

Once your powers have been selected, its your job to design a superhero. What you need to include in your heroic profile:

• Code Name (real name too if desired)
  • Description of Powers
  • Description of Character and Costume, including gender, race, outfit, accessories, etc
  • A Brief Bio - also note that to spice up the game a bit, the GM may give you some notes on this section. You may be given past connections to other characters in the game.

Once this information is approved by the GM, there is just one final step to the character creation process. You must send me two lists:

1. Five desired "skills," based on your character's history and powers, that he or she can contribute to the team. You may select things such as "speaks Chinese," "trained jet pilot" or "diplomacy." The GM will select 2-3 of these that best fit the upcoming story and your bio to include in your character's profile. If your suggestions do not sufficiently match your biography, the GM may disregard them and assign others.
  2. You must rank these three traits against your characters abilities:

- Strength: covers both physical strength and durability. Put this trait first if your character is a bruiser of some kind or incredibly resilient to damage.
    - Intelligence: covers all mental tasks, such as solving puzzles or resisting the influence of others. Put this trait first if your character character is well-learned or has powers involving the mind.
    - Talent: covers training at specific skills, dexterity and accuracy. Put this trait first if your character is very precise or developed their powers through training and discipline.

Once these things are set, your character is ready to play. I'd like everyone to make a new SWF account using their hero's name and post in the game under that account. I'd also like everyone to consider keeping the association between their main account and their superhero secret. I won't make it a rule since it wouldn't be cheating to know, but I think it might add a flair of drama if you weren't quite sure which other player is in control of these heroes.

I expect this entire process will take about a week, so please be patient while everyone gets their characters completed and ready to play. If your hero's name is already a name on SWf, try adding "RPG" to the end of it to denote that its an account for use in the game.

The Heroics Universe
The game world will be a place where superheroes are well-established, with the more powerful heroes grouping up to take on big bads on a regular basis. However, power levels are nowhere near as inflated as they are in the DC and Marvel universes. No one in this world can lift an entire building or fly through the sun and survive. The "Batman" or "Green Arrow" archetypes that are highly skilled and have no powers could feasibly exist in this universe, although they will certainly be at a disadvantage against those that have powers.

In this universe, there is a central authority for superheroes that answers to the United Nations. It officially sanctions superheroics so that heroes can avoid running afoul of local laws, although some heroes work outside of this framework and are not hunted down for it. Some nations do not recognize this authority though, so political machinations are always a concern. The central authority will be the ones organizing this first adventure, although it might be something outside their normal mode of operations.

In this universe, the Earth has not made first contact with any alien races and does not have a significant presence in space. However, technology is a little bit ahead of real-world tech, allowing for some more fantastical inventions to make their way into the story. The GM will work with players to find the right level of technology available if a tech-themed hero is desired.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Example Hero Profile
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Codename: Chilon the Wise
Powers: Force Field Generation & Life Force Manipulation
Description: Caucasian of Greek descent. Completely hairless with odd age spots running from his forehead over his head and down his neck, as if in a striped pattern. Appears to be in his 50s and wears loose-fitting clothing of various colors, most often some shade of blue.
Bio:
Chilon the Wise is the product of what might be called an ancient magical experiment. Once a member of an elite Greek society of philosophers, scientists and magicians, Chilon theorized that through intense meditation, someone with a sensitivity to magic might be able to develop extraordinary control over their own body and even elevate their mind beyond the mortal plane. Determined to prove his theories, Chilon went deep below a mountain into a specially carved cave to begin his mediation process. He settled into a trance, so deep that he appeared dead to observers but when his body did not decay, his compatriots determined to leave him there and watch for the outcome. When they had all passed away and turned to dust, Chilon remained deep beneath the mountain.

He awoke from his trance over a thousand years later, empowered and virtually immortal. During his slumber, his mind had expanded and learned to connect to the life forces that bind all things together. His connection to the magical world was deep and intuitive and allowed him to project his mind long distances to observe events otherwise hidden from view. He also found that he could create force fields by solidifying the magical energies in the air. Sensing that the evil in the world had grown, Chilon set out to protect mankind from destruction. Over time he became known as "Chilon the Wise" due to his knowledge, foresight and clarity of action and in modern times he's become the leader of the metahuman world.

Talents
Immense knowledge of science, medicine, magic and history
Diplomacy and leadership
Resistance to all forms of manipulation and psychic attack, through training and from powers

Traits
+ Intelligence
o Talent
- Strength

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
How to Post a Battle
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Decided that this might be an important thing for you all to know now that the missions are starting. Here's an example of good combat posts:

Fast Cash hadn't needed to fight soldiers, let alone supervillains, since he retired from heroics to start his delivery business. Yet here he was, with a dozen soldiers and the infamous Riot Man in his own company cafeteria. Most of his employees, while mostly supers themselves, were never heroes before they were corporate delivery peons. So the moment Riot's men barged into the room, most of them had used their powers to escape. The Fast Cash Corporation hired speedsters, teleporters, invisibility users and a few other useful powers to deliver anything and everything that might be sensitive, so escaping was not an issue for most of them. In fact, it wouldn't have been an issue for Fast Cash if there weren't a few unpowered Joes that worked for him and if this wasn't his freakin' company these jerks were invading.

Fast Cash uses his super speed to rush the soldiers, he landed a few punches before they could even react and attempted to disarm the rest with a sweeping dash.

==OOC==
GM, can I get a check on the disarm?
This first post shows a couple things:

First, the player behind Fast Cash shows off some of his thoughts and feelings. We get a little information. This isn't necessary in every post, but very helpful to the roleplaying aspects of the game at the start and finish of combat in particular!

Second, he doesn't need to ask the GM if he can land a few punches with his super speed on a bunch of common soldiers, but disarming them all is a more important event so he asks for a check. Don't be afraid to land a few punches without asking, but if you use your power in a special way or are fighting a supervillain, then get a check from the GM!

The GM might respond:
Fast Cash attempted to disarm all the soldiers in the room. (Roll: 4 So I'll allow you to disarm half of the soldiers.) His initial flurry knocked out two guards and disarmed four more, but the remaining six felt the wind of Fast Cash's initial dash and backed way from his attack. He stops behind Riot Man.
The GM rolled a check and came up with a response based on the result. Now Fast Cash can act again:

Skidding to a stop behind Riot Man, Fast Cash laughs at him with just a touch of anger.

"Corporate espionage seems below you Riot," he said as his foes turned to face him. He knew he should run. He should call in the real heroes, the guys that stuck it out when he quit to become rich running a superhuman business. But this was his building and these were his people. The ones that ran before would raise the alarm. For now he was going to fight.

Fast Cash smashes his fist forward to punch Riot Man.

==OOC== CHECK PLEASE!
Fast Cash lands his super speed punch directly into Riot Man's chest but the result is not quite what one would expect. Upon impact, Riot Man seemed to explode and created a dozen duplicates of himself in the room, each ready to fight against Fast Cash's super speed.

"You should know better Fast Cash," Riot Man cackled from a dozen mouths at once. "I'll just keep multiplying. You can't stop us all!"

Riot Man and his clones converge on Fast Cash while his soldiers move to block the doors.
In this scenario, the GM had an action in mind and didn't feel like a check was necessary to see if a super speed punch would land on its intended target. So the action was just resolved and the story advanced. This is how combat will work in this game. Should be simple so be creative and enjoy it!

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
GAME RATING
Remember that as this game is being played on SWF, everything should be kept to a PG-13 rating. No violating the forum rules just because you are posting in character. While your characters may have disagreements, please refrain from making any personal attacks on the players. When posting in character, some players might do something they might otherwise not do in real life, so try not to judge them on what their character does, but on how well they contribute to the game.

Player Ratings
Every player enters this game as a "Recruit." By completing this game (or certain tasks within it!), you may be awarded new Heroics rank levels. These levels will carry over into future games, even if your character is killed somehow.

Player Points
This section tracks the points earned by players for being the first to successfully complete a challenge or puzzle

Casmick - 0
Garth Blackburn - 0
Gecklone - 0
Lumox - 1
Nineband - 0
Payload - 1
Ronnie Cordova - 2
Sato (Supercell) - 0
Shane Starker - 2
Stromgarde - 0
Trent Washington - 0

Major Events
This section tracks the major story posts in the game to make it easier to follow along or re-read.

1. The Allied Hero Newsletter
2. Game Starts!
3. Introduction to Echelon/Teams Divided
4. X Team Mission Brief: A BATTLE IN THE SKIES
5. Raven Team Mission Brief: A PUZZLE IN THE DESERT

GM Contact Info
You can contact the GM to ask questions on AIM by contacting j3stripes or sending me a PM

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
OK, you can start signing up now!

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
This seems pretty neat, and I'm tempted to join, but two things.

Firstly, what exactly is the storyline and universe going to be like? I think a little more detail on that would be a good idea.

And secondly, adventure games and common should never go in the same sentence. ;)

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Added some information about the universe and power levels in the second post. Good question!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This sounds like it could be pretty fun. Alright M3D, you've twisted my arm.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm in.
J, you'll have to help me put together a character this weekend.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Once the game fills, I'll set a deadline. I imagine it will be about a week, maybe a little more if I'm having some trouble helping people find a character they enjoy.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Ooh ooh!! I want in! :D

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Could you at AIM/Skype contact information? Communication with the mod smooths things out nicely.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Could you at AIM/Skype contact information? Communication with the mod smooths things out nicely.
My info will go to the players that sign up in their confirmation PMs. Prefer not to post that publicly over and over, especially since SWF is vulnerable to bot-spiders that farm contact info.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Got a character design. Should we wait until signups have finished to start sending desired powers?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
SWF is vulnerable to bot-spiders that farm

*Shakes fist*

Surprised people are already making their characters without knowing what powers they'll end up happening. Be a bit awkward making your character Electro if you end up getting your third-string power of control over Milk.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
So... it seems there was a lot of interest in the game and in the interest of fairness, players are being let into the game in the order that they actually posted their "/in." If you expressed interest but didn't actually /in before the game filled, I've dropped you onto the subs list in case someone abandons their character and we need someone to take over. I apologize to those who missed the cut, but its the only fair way to resolve who is in and who is a sub.

EDIT: Since the game is full now, please make sure to put together your list of favored super powers. Again, I recommend checking out this wiki for some ideas:
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki

but feel free to draw from other sources as well. If you think your power idea is a little obscure, any links to examples would be helpful so I can better understand your thoughts. Please remember that you are making three power suggestions and that I may modify or reject, so don't get too invested in an idea. If it violates the spirit of the game, is too powerful, too weak or just doesn't fit, I may guide you in a different direction.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Powers first. Then character once we've settled on those.

:phone:

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
GM contact information is in the third post.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
M3D, that's balls. I was sitting there waiting for an opportunity to talk to you on AIM to see if I could make something happen or if I needed to go with a different idea. Glyph informed me that you went to bed three minutes before EE created a group conversation for me. Ask Glyph or EE as I was the one to get them to look at the thread.

I actually got on today to try and contact you about this.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I can produce that log if it will help

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Ryker, reach out to me on AIM. Let's talk.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Your three power suggestions are due on Monday. If they are not submitted by then, then you are not considered confirmed in the game any longer and your spot will be given to a sub.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Might be a few minutes. I'm going to have to call Toshiba's tech support. I can't stay on this hardwire connection and I need to make my wireless connection work.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
this is right up my alley and i would have loved to play but i wouldn't have time with my own game. good luck with your game! hope you have much success.

Top Bottom