• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Gamecube Controller Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If it was something that could holster the 3DS in it, I would be down for it.

Something similar to those Android phone controllers you see:

I'd LOVE something like this, especially if it's basically made from a Pro.

...It'd be about the size of a Gamepad if they made an XL version though. Can't imagine lugging that thing around.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
maybe one that folds up

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I'll be honest. I don't like how some people don't want to adapt to something different for controls. Don't get me wrong, I am one of those people who use a gamecube controller, but I don't mind using something different if I have to. I guess it makes sense that people don't want to adapt since you can play the first 3 games and the Wii U version (When it comes out) with a gamecube controller.

Ace76

Smash Cadet
Why is having an option for a gamecube adapter a bad thing? I can understand someone not wanting to use it, but the fact that people are upset at someone suggesting an extra OPTION is crazy. I think it would be great if they could make it would even if I personally wouldn't use it very often.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Why is having an option for a gamecube adapter a bad thing? I can understand someone not wanting to use it, but the fact that people are upset at someone suggesting an extra OPTION is crazy. I think it would be great if they could make it would even if I personally wouldn't use it very often.
It's just getting ridiculous is all. It's only a few steps away from if somebody asked for the ability to hook a Wii U up to a 3DS to play the Wii U on the go.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
It'd look silly but I'd get it. For most ppl, it's the principle of the thing, tho. No point in having a controller for a mobile system that IS a controller (even if you DO generally play 3DS at home).

It's not gonna happen, regardless. Not a first-party product at least.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
If your use of Smash 4 will be 100% at home, the Wii U is better.
If you'd like to play Smash 4 while on the bus, waiting for bus, waiting for your girlfriend outside a store at the mall, otherwise "twiddling" your fingers anywhere for X amount of time, then 3DS would kill dead time.

Generally the GCN controller would be a fantastic control option in comparison to the 3DS! But the major problems are:
1. Transportation, no one wants to carry a GCN controller in their pocket, if they can even fit it in the first place.

2. embarrassing, if your somewhere you don't want to be or waiting something out, it'd feel tacky to connect a game controller to a small device, then embarrassing as people stare at a guy with a controller attached to a tiny little screen sitting at a table.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't think it will happen, but it is a good idea.

I mean, the controls are pretty good, but nothing beats the GameCube controller IMO.

Honestly though, a wired connection for Smash 3DS is bigger priority. I experienced like 7 seconds of lag and connection mix up at Best Buy, and quite frankly, I want Smash 3DS tournaments IRL, and that's the only way I see it surviving as a big deal.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
IHonestly though, a wired connection for Smash 3DS is bigger priority. I experienced like 7 seconds of lag and connection mix up at Best Buy, and quite frankly, I want Smash 3DS tournaments IRL, and that's the only way I see it surviving as a big deal.
If you're talking about something like a spot at EVO or CEO, I think that's pretty unlikely. Generally if a game is virtually identical in function to its console counterpart, the console always wins. Street Fighter IV can be played on the 3DS and SFxT can be played on the Vita, yet neither are used in favour of their console versions.

Only way I could see something like that happening is if the Wii U suffered a massive decline in popularity, or the 3DS version held exclusive mechanics that brought it more in line with Melee - both scenarios aren't very probable, however.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If you're talking about something like a spot at EVO or CEO, I think that's pretty unlikely. Generally if a game is virtually identical in function to its console counterpart, the console always wins.
They aren't totally identical. Smash 3DS feels a bit closer to 64 combo and DI-wise, whereas Smash WiiU feels a bit closer to Melee combo and DI-wise.

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
It's a bit of a stretch, but it is possible using the same technology the circle pad pro uses (using IR). I don't really see Nintendo doing it, but maybe 3rd party?

Last edited:

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
From what I've seen on the 3DS version so far, I feel like having a Gamecube Controller isn't necessary. It looks fine enough to play as is.

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering if you can map the d-pad on the 3DS to smash attacks. (Which would alleviate the need for the circle pad pro entirely)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm wondering if you can map the d-pad on the 3DS to smash attacks. (Which would alleviate the need for the circle pad pro entirely)
Not at all. The appeal of the C-stick is that you can control your character's motion with the joystick while still throwing attacks in other directions with the C-stick. Mapping the "C-stick" to the D-pad wouldn't accomplish the same effect, since you would have to move your thumb off the circle pad in order to use it, thus negating the appeal altogether.

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
Not at all. The appeal of the C-stick is that you can control your character's motion with the joystick while still throwing attacks in other directions with the C-stick. Mapping the "C-stick" to the D-pad wouldn't accomplish the same effect, since you would have to move your thumb off the circle pad in order to use it, thus negating the appeal altogether.
I understand what you mean, and yes the circle pad pro would be easier for said function. At the time I wrote that I just thought you could use the base of your thumb on the d-pad to do smash attacks while dashing. However, after trying it on my DS just now, it's easier said than done. U-smash is easy, pivot f-smashes however not so much.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Simply no reason for it, if they want a C-Stick and extra triggers to be usable they will allow the Circle Pad Pro to be used.

And if not, well everyone is on an even playing field with no c-stick aerials or smashs, etc.

It's really not too big of a deal people won't be playing the 3DS one super competitively when the Wii U one is available.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Simply no reason for it, if they want a C-Stick and extra triggers to be usable they will allow the Circle Pad Pro to be used.
2DS doesn't support Circle Pad Pro. Lets say that it does but what if the game doesn't support it? Personally I'm fine without it and I'll use my 3DS like normal. 64 players shouldn't mind this at all actually.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
2DS doesn't support Circle Pad Pro. Lets say that it does but what if the game doesn't support it? Personally I'm fine without it and I'll use my 3DS like normal. 64 players shouldn't mind this at all actually.
I'd prefer it doesn't have CPP support just for even control methods for both 2DS and 3DS/XLs

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
That seems a little selfish. :(
Maybe, you can't get proper practice for the Wii U version without all the buttons, but getting a c-stick through a peripheral gives you an advantage in online matches. Not a SUPER big advantage, but it's still there.

They didn't have a problem with this whole different controller thing in Brawl, but Brawl was probably made much slower to accommodate this.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It'd be neat, but I wouldn't get it just because I mostly plan to play this game, well... on the go. So, a big bulky controller would mar that just a bit.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I think even if nintendo doesn't make one, SOMEBODY will.

check these out

These all look pretty awesome to me, especially the second and third pictures, I might consider doing something like those to my 3ds myself if one isnt mass produced for me.

D

Deleted member

Those pictures look nice, but I'll stick to the 3DS controls, they look great to me. Like Kiondrick said, it's fine as it is.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I doubt that the 3DS will ever be compatible with GameCube controllers, simply because it's a hand-held system.

xTeru

Smash Cadet
I doubt we will get anything control wise, I would be happy if the CPP works though :love:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Everyone should just learn to use the original CC because it's superior in every way to the GC controller

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
I'd LOVE something like this, especially if it's basically made from a Pro.

...It'd be about the size of a Gamepad if they made an XL version though. Can't imagine lugging that thing around.
Now if that were real, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I never necessarily said that this was a good idea, just that it could be possible if people were demanding it, similarly to the Wii U adapter being wanted by so many people, then magically Nintendo makes one. Maybe they could release a new 3DS that is shaped like a Gamecube controller. Jk
Well, I think another reason that Nintendo is realeasing this controller is for the GC VC games that they promised. They might be released in the winter along with the adapters release.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The sooner Nintendo weans Smash players off the GCN controller, the better. It's not gonna be around forever; no controller for any console has ever lasted so long. I was half disappointed that the adapter was even announced, because while I'll be happy to use it and think it will help bring GCN VC to the Wii U (because Nintendo was too stupid to put analog triggers on the Wii U controllers), it's technically a step backwards and is only going to make it harder for Smash players when it's finally gone. I reeeeally hope the 3DS-GCN adapter does not happen, it's ludicrous and unnecessary and counter-productive. The 3DS's buttons and circle pad will be just fine; heck, I'd prefer the 3DS over the Wiimote, the Nunchuk, or the Classic Controller (that thing's crazy uncomfortable, even the Pro version), and all three of those I've used at one point or another in Brawl.
The PlayStation controller says hello. It was literally the SAME for 3 consoles.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
So the Gamecube controller adapter for Wii U was recently announced, but does anyone think that there is a possibility for a 3DS adapter as well if there was a high enough demand for it? Whether you support this idea or not, what do you think that the functionality of this would be? Would it be inconvenient to use a controller with a handheld system?
Its an interesting idea, but that is why we have that 3DS add-on that gives you the extra joy stick. I can't recall the name off the top of my head, but if you use that it would be almost like using a normal controller, especially if you're playing on the 3DS XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom