• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Homebrew Channel Near Completion - How will this affect SSB3D?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

The 3DS Homebrew Channel is confirmed to be in its final stages of development and working on the most recent system update.

While those of us who use the Homebrew Channel for legitimate purposes might be thrilled, there's still a creeping unease that less benevolent users will affect games, particularly SSB3D.

What do you think will happen?

Booster

Smash Lord
Awesome mods. That is all. Now if only Wii U Homebrew would near completion.

Last edited:

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
Here what'll happen. Believe in gematsu.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Well, I just hope we can have hacks for SSB3DS similar to Brawl. I mean, if they're used online, it'd just cause de-syncs. I just really want texture hacks so I can get recolors that weren't included in the game. Also, Mii Fighters would basically be an "filller" character in terms of hacking, because you could replace all three of them for new things/use them for testing without breaking any of the characters that could be used online.

Also, if it does become that, you could just have it so you can connect and play with friends without de-syncs. I honestly think it'd be really fun, haha. I mean, I don't think Brawl hacking ever ruined online - online on Brawl just sucked as is.

Also, didn't Sakurai say that hacking on the games online would results in bans?

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
Well, I just hope we can have hacks for SSB3DS similar to Brawl. I mean, if they're used online, it'd just cause de-syncs. I just really want texture hacks so I can get recolors that weren't included in the game. Also, Mii Fighters would basically be an "filller" character in terms of hacking, because you could replace all three of them for new things/use them for testing without breaking any of the characters that could be used online.

Also, if it does become that, you could just have it so you can connect and play with friends without de-syncs. I honestly think it'd be really fun, haha. I mean, I don't think Brawl hacking ever ruined online - online on Brawl just sucked as is.

Also, didn't Sakurai say that hacking on the games online would results in bans?
Well he did but if the administration is just the same as the miiverse administration then that'll be a huge problem cause false reporting will be an issue even though that's against the rules of miiverse and smash online.

Last edited:

Soul.

inb4 The inevitable "Project M" for Nintendo 3DS. Not like that's a bad thing.
Eh, I don't know. I think it wouldn't affect it at all, maybe this way, textures can be a dream come true.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Eh, I don't know. I think it wouldn't affect it at all, maybe this way, textures can be a dream come true.
I'm pretty sure thats better done on the Wii U.

Soul.

I'm pretty sure thats better done on the Wii U.
Is it because everything has to be on that console.
It doesn't matter if it's done better on the Wii U; there could still be something similar for the 3DS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Texture hacks and stage hacks (like in Brawl) could be nice.. hopefully, it does not result in bans from online play.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Note: Literally nobody actually wants Project M 2. I'm saying this as a PM player. The topic has come up multiple times, it has always been an overwhelming "no".

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Er, I think it should be noted that Project M's developer team has stated they have absolutely no plans to make a Project M 2.0. I doubt they'd even do it if they wanted to, as getting rid of everything they've done so far just to switch the 3DS? That'd be a waste.

Soul.

Note: Literally nobody actually wants Project M 2. I'm saying this as a PM player. The topic has come up multiple times, it has always been an overwhelming "no".
I know that. What if someone else wants to make one. The PM development team doesn't need to do one for the 3DS.
Someone else could do it. Then again, I don't think this kind of stuff will happen. Maybe textures.

Last edited:

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
The 3DS Homebrew Channel is confirmed...
Meh, no thanks I'm good. Good luck to it's completion and to those that do use it.

^This.

Or better. N64 games. I would like to get ocorina of time and smash 64 on 3ds.
I believe Nintendo already remade OoT on the 3DS IIRC.

Well, I just hope we can have hacks for SSB3DS similar to Brawl. I mean, if they're used online, it'd just cause de-syncs...
That didn't stop them from using lulzy stages like the "Bottomless Darkness" online hahaha. Stuff like that was a riot.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Ooh, I like the sound of skin mods. I'd use it on my old 3DS but probably wouldn't risk using it on my XL.

Why do I feel like Chrom will be one of the first skins added?

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I'm down with this as long as the only mods to the Smash 3ds are cosmetic. New skins and music mainly. Once you start getting into changing the game itself that's where I get a little uneasy about it.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I could see custom characters and textures. The problem is that online play would be broken...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The guy who's making this says it won't be able to run 3DS roms, its purpose is to run homebrew games, apps and emulators, so Smash 3DS hacks are still out of reach for now.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
The guy who's making this says it won't be able to run 3DS roms, its purpose is to run homebrew games, apps and emulators, so Smash 3DS hacks are still out of reach for now.
So? Have you ever hacked Brawl?
File Replacement Codes don't have to be used on a ROM. You can use a legit copy, and that's how the majority do it.
What the file Replacement Code does is simple. It's a cheat code that takes the files from your SD card and replaces the games data with that. Hacks are still possible for SSB3DS.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I'm all for homebrew and customization, but for once I don't wish it to work. Especially for Smash. We need to leave SSB4 alone.

:facepalm::facepalm::urg:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So? Have you ever hacked Brawl?
File Replacement Codes don't have to be used on a ROM. You can use a legit copy, and that's how the majority do it.
What the file Replacement Code does is simple. It's a cheat code that takes the files from your SD card and replaces the games data with that. Hacks are still possible for SSB3DS.
That would require for it to work like with the Wii. I'm not entirely sure how this Homebrew Channel works, but with the DS you needed a flash card to run these things, which means you also needed a rom for it. Somehow, given the history of 3DS hacking, I doubt all this will take is an SD card, but again I haven't researched how this particular one is supposed to boot.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Well if the 3ds only has 2 songs per stage music mods are welcome. Maybe some type of brawl+ or brawl- mod might happen but it shouldn't mean much for smash.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Not a fan of hard modding, so I'm only interested if it's soft moddable, like StackSmash or whatever. That said, if there is such an option, I'll start looking into the options in a few years when I've played Smash3D to death in its vanilla form.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
There's so much security in place now, look at what's going on with the Wii U.

>New exploit
>OMG GUYS WE HAVE AN EXPLOIT
>Nintendo patches it in 2 days
>Can't play online, download anything, etc. until you're on the update that fixes it, it has 2 different ways of auto-installing

Smealum said himself once Ninty patches the exploit it's a done deal, they don't have low-level access so they can't do anything that would survive patch updates.

Last edited:

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
Those aren't roms they're actual copys of the game. Atleast my friend told me.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
There's so much security in place now, look at what's going on with the Wii U.

>New exploit
>OMG GUYS WE HAVE AN EXPLOIT
>Nintendo patches it in 2 days
>Can't play online, download anything, etc. until you're on the update that fixes it, it has 2 different ways of auto-installing

Smealum said himself once Ninty patches the exploit it's a done deal, they don't have low-level access so they can't do anything that would survive patch updates.
Hopefully the scene will keep going, though, like it did with the Wii, to try to keep finding new holes until the end of the system's update life.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Hopefully the scene will keep going, though, like it did with the Wii, to try to keep finding new holes until the end of the system's update life.
This gen of consoles is kind of a dead end. There's a reason the 360/One and PS4 homebrew didn't really get off of the ground.

With everything centered around NNID's and the Nintendo Network, vulnerabilities aren't going to stick around. Let's look at how each exploit would play out on the Wii U/3DS:

Bannerbomb
New exploit allows homebrew!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!
*Fun for like 2 days-7 days*

New update adds a cool feature! Update today!
*People turn on their devices and the update is already installed/being installed and the bug is patched in it*

*Some users have the update servers blocked on their routers, but can't download new games, play new games, play online at all, post to miiverse, etc.*
*Console is basically useless for these users until they update*

Smash Stack
New exploit through game allows homebrew!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!
*Fun for a day*

New patch for Smash Bros! Update today!
*People can't launch the game until the patch is installed, can't play online, etc.*

The only real workaround would be to have a way to pull in some of the new features to old firmware selectively, spoof your update version number, and/or create a custom firmware backend and update users as new updates come out.
Right now we don't understand or have access to the lower level code to do any of those things, we simply are crashing something and opening up an app. Unless we get kernel access somehow (which I suspect we have on 3DS, not Wii U) we won't be able to even install a channel - and if we do install one, if a new update comes out we're in trouble again because we have to figure out how to change the system menu info which no channels normally have the permissions to do (which requires another exploit which we likely don't have, leaving us sitting ducks for an update to roll out and wipe our progress)

Last edited:
Top Bottom