• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

45 or 54. That's how many characters we are getting

Sane.

Smash Cadet
Ugh...all this speculation in general is making me sick again...we need gameplay. Or atleast some proper concrete news.

Don't you think this is how we all feel!?!? We're addicts and since they refuse to give us our fix, we're forced to sit around and randomly talk about how awesome it's probably going to be. :cyclops:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Don't you think this is how we all feel!?!? We're addicts and since they refuse to give us our fix, we're forced to sit around and randomly talk about how awesome it's probably going to be. :cyclops:
Yh......but you know......smoking is bad for you...but its addictive....same s_it here pretty much...lmfao...you could say all this Specualtion has become cancerous.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I am pretty sure they don't even know how many characters will fully make it in, and no, the 3DS is not holding back the character roster at all. Also speculating too much is good fun and all, but some people may be disappointed because of their own hype.

Arteen

Smash Lord
http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/7/459...discusses-the-pain-of-modern-game-development

Sakurai, never one to shy away from the dark side of game development in his column, wrote this week about the occasional futility involved with trying to keep everyone satisfied when making a franchise game. "Every time, you know, I try to the point where I think I can't go on any longer," he said. "For example, I think pretty much the limit when it comes to creating characters for a Smash Bros. is about 20, counting those from older games. We remake them completely each time, after all, and the teams and personnel and specs are all different. But we all go beyond what the work calls for because we want to do our best to retain fans of each character."

Sakurai sees 20 as a good, sane Smash Bros. character count. Meanwhile, Brawl had 39. "The Brawl team really put in a great effort," he recalled. "They remade all the original characters and added 18 completely new ones! Even with Melee before that, that game has over twice as many characters as the original. And that doesn't include online support and the assorted other features we've taken pains to complete under difficult circumstances. But the players don't know about how hard we work. That's not a problem because that's the case for any product, but it's important to remember that you can't take anything for granted."
Seriously, stop expecting 50 characters.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
1.Ridley
2.K.Rool
3.FE Char along with Marth & Ike
4.Palutena
5.Skull Kid/Impa
6. Black Shadow
7. ?????
8. ??????

*clap* *clap*

Roster is complete.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
1.Ridley
2.K.Rool
3.FE Char along with Marth & Ike
4.Palutena
5.Skull Kid/Impa
6. Black Shadow
7. ?????
8. ??????

*clap* *clap*

Roster is complete.

OMFG YOU DIDN'T EVEN PUT IN KRYSTAL OR GENO
THEY ARE MY BEST ONES EVER THEY ARE SO SPECIAL
TO ME AND I LOVE THEM I TOLD SAKURAI AND HE'LL DO
IT FOR ME BECAUSE I JUST KNOW HE LOVES THEM TOO
I'LL KILL YOU et cetera

Hong

The Strongest
I don't think the quantity of newcomers has ever sold these games anyways. Sounds crazy, I know, but let me ask you.

How many copies of Smash Bros were sold by Ike?

Or Lucario?
Or Lucas?
Or R.O.B.?
Or Dedede or Pit or Meta Knight or Wolf or Olimar.

You get the idea. Yeah, each of those characters have their own respective fanbases, but the hype generated from their addition could be substituted with a slab of beef.

Now how many copies of Smash were sold by Solid ****ing Snake? Or Sonic?

Yeah. That is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in every way possible, and I doubt any Nintendo character could generate as much talk... maybe Ridley? Even then. While people do not EXPLICITLY buy the game JUST for these characters, they certainly generate far more interest, talk and MONEY than anything else they could add. We got Mega Man. That **** is insane. Anyone they add is going to be cool and new, but it will only be a penny in the pail.

When Chrom is posted, I will be happy. Hundreds of thousands will be happy... but I know when I share it with friends and coworkers and locals, I am going to be the one explaining his personality, history, and what he can do. It is GOOD, but can basically be replaced with a variety of other Nintendo characters. But to add a gaming ICON like Sonic or Mega Man has an effect unlike any other. EVERY GAMER knows who Mega Man is.

So in short, who ever they add will be "Mega Man and a bunch of other characters." Your average consumer will brush over the rest and just pick who ever is the most fun in the end.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I don't think the quantity of newcomers has ever sold these games anyways. Sounds crazy, I know, but let me ask you.

How many copies of Smash Bros were sold by Ike?

Or Lucario?
Or Lucas?
Or R.O.B.?
Or Dedede or Pit or Meta Knight or Wolf or Olimar.

You get the idea. Yeah, each of those characters have their own respective fanbases, but the hype generated from their addition could be substituted with a slab of beef.

Now how many copies of Smash were sold by Solid ****ing Snake? Or Sonic?

Yeah. That is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in every way possible, and I doubt any Nintendo character could generate as much talk... maybe Ridley? Even then. While people do not EXPLICITLY buy the game JUST for these characters, they certainly generate far more interest, talk and MONEY than anything else they could add. We got Mega Man. That **** is insane. Anyone they add is going to be cool and new, but it will only be a penny in the pail.

When Chrom is posted, I will be happy. Hundreds of thousands will be happy... but I know when I share it with friends and coworkers and locals, I am going to be the one explaining his personality, history, and what he can do. It is GOOD, but can basically be replaced with a variety of other Nintendo characters. But to add a gaming ICON like Sonic or Mega Man has an effect unlike any other. EVERY GAMER knows who Mega Man is.

So in short, whoever they add will be "Mega Man and a bunch of other characters." Your average consumer will brush over the rest and just pick who ever is the most fun in the end.
Quantity does help sell it to people hooked on the games, but no one buys smash for a single character- it is because it is a whole roster full of characters we all know and love. Yes, they should focus on more than just content but there will always be people disappointed at the end of the day and even those people who will claim the 3DS somehow limited the roster even if we got 100 new characters added. Not everyone will be happy but those understanding hopefully will.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
OMFG YOU DIDN'T EVEN PUT IN KRYSTAL OR GENO
THEY ARE MY BEST ONES EVER THEY ARE SO SPECIAL
TO ME AND I LOVE THEM I TOLD SAKURAI AND HE'LL DO
IT FOR ME BECAUSE I JUST KNOW HE LOVES THEM TOO
I'LL KILL YOU et cetera
I said roster complete not atrocious roster.

No offense.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I am dissapointed at the lack of Mewtwo :(.
I hear you but truth be told he is not needed to complete the roster im tryna not be biased and be fair as best as i can they are loadss of pokes.

Pikachu
Jiggly
Charizard
Lucario

Would do

Mewtwo would be welcome he is one of my most wanted but being straight he is not NEEDED like MUST HAVE.

But imo how things have gone with the roster in Smash in general.

K.Rool and above anyone else any other character RIDLEY is NEEDED.

Ridley doesnt need Smash...

Smash Needs Ridley

Ridley>Smash

RealTalk.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Well I'm trying to see the roster in my head with no cuts besides Toon Link and Snake.
33+3(Villager, WFT, Mega Man)+1 DK rep+1 FE rep+1 Retro rep=39 (Mewtwo as a veteran secret character=40)
So with this (considering all transformation characters are merged into 1) We have 6 newcomers. Add another 6 newcomers and we get 45(not counting Mewtwo), the predicted roster size and we get the same amount of newcomers revealed during Brawl for the starting roster: 12 (counting Snake and Sonic as they were revealed before)The newcomer secret characters revealed after Brawl's release is 4: Wolf, Toon Link, R.O.B., and Lucario so 45+4 secret newcomers+Mewtwo=50

If we get 9 more newcomers then 50 is very likely. But will Sakurai add 9 more?
Here are expected candidates:
Dixie Kong or K. Rool(DK rep stated before)
Chrom(FE rep stated before)
Takamaru(retro rep stated before)

Not on expected list:
Little Mac (Popular Series)
Chibi-Robo(Miyamoto's Adopted IP FROM NAMCO BAMDAI but still 1st Party)
Shulk(New popular and "cherished by many" IP)
?
?
?

Fill in those last 3 for yourselves ;)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
for the last time guys sakurai said he can,t increase the size too much its not going to be 50 characters its about 40 to 45

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I say we go with 69

It just seems like a great, round number to me

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I forget which but it was in an interview. There's a thread that houses all the interviews so you can look there. All I know is that there's proof of it
Well it wasent like.......well basicly he said.

''Its not a matter of if i add 50 chars it will be enough''

Wait lemme find the thing.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Well I think around 45 is good enough if a few veterans are cut. At most we'll get 7 more newcomers for 45 if there are no cuts, which is somewhat underwhelming. Cut a few characters and we could get close to the 16 newcomers we got from Brawl. If it stays restrictively the same, then I'll be upset.

Edit: Again, only if we count transformation characters as one.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Well I think around 45 is good enough if a few veterans are cut. At most we'll get 7 more newcomers for 45 if there are no cuts, which is somewhat underwhelming. Cut a few characters and we could get close to the 16 newcomers we got from Brawl. If it stays restrictively the same, then I'll be upset.

Edit: Again, only if we count transformation characters as one.
agreed, characters are what sales the game to MOST people who buy he game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
SSB64 had two rows. Melee had three rows. Brawl had four rows. So that means SSB4 will have five rows.

SSB64: 12 x 1 = 12
Melee: 12 x 2 = 24 + 2 = 26
Brawl: 12 x 3 = 36 + 3 = 39
SSB4: 12 x 4 = 48 + 4 = 52

There you have it... 52 playable characters in a character select screen that has five rows. As for columns... well... it is either...

10 columns x 5 rows = 50 slots (meaning there's two transformations... either Sheik and Zero Suit Samus is in or Pokémon Trainer is in)

OR

9 columns x 5 rows = 45 slots (meaning there's seven transformations... Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Pokémon Trainer are in plus three new transformations)

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Are we talking about characters, or slots? I always say slots in these discussions. Brawl had 35 slots. We will have at least 3 cuts (Toon Link, Lucario, Ike or Snake) (I doubt we will have more cuts than Melee) So that brings it down to 32 slots. Not counting new transformations, 10-14 new characters seems like a very high-likely and great number of newcomers. This game doesn't need as much newcomers as Brawl did, Brawl has about 90% of Nintendo all stars playable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Are we talking about characters, or slots? I always say slots in these discussions. Brawl had 35 slots. We will have at least 3 cuts (Toon Link, Lucario, Ike or Snake) (I doubt we will have more cuts than Melee) So that brings it down to 32 slots. Not counting new transformations, 10-14 new characters seems like a very high-likely and great number of newcomers. This game doesn't need as much newcomers as Brawl did, Brawl has about 90% of Nintendo all stars playable.
um its accualy 39 characters in brawl so its 33 your bringing it down too

oh welcome to smash forums by the way

Arteen

Smash Lord
That's why he said slots rather than characters. There are 35 slots in the Brawl roster, since Samus/ZSS, Ivysaur/Charizard/Squirtle, and Zelda/Sheik share spots on the character selection screen.

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
*Sigh*
We can't put a number on anything because Sakurai didn't give any reference points. 40 instead of 50 is just as valid as 50 instead of 60, or 60 instead of 70. Sakurai could easily have shot for a very high number and not have been able to reach it. With no reference point, we have no number. All this tells us is not to go around putting every character we can think of into the roster, and to understand that spots are limited.

Also, don't forget that not long ago people held firm to Sakurai's work that an Animal Crossing character wouldn't work.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't see how this debunks 50 characters. Yes, it's more work but there was also a longer development time. Melee's core development was about 13 months and Brawl's was about 24-25, nearly twice as long. SSB4 is already at about 18 months and at the end of the year it will be close to its two year development anniversary with the game not coming out until at least the summer, another 6 months away giving it at least 30 months (36 if you want to include the planning stage). Nearly 3/5ths of Brawl's development focused on the SSE and single player modes alone and working with the Wii's laughable online infrastructure probably took up another 1/5th. Based on everything we've heard so far, things are clearly different this time around. There's also the fact that Brawl had 39 and even with 5 characters cut like Brawl that would still be 16, two more than Melee and two less than Brawl. All this being said, I don't think it's wholly impractical.

Top Bottom