• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't know if cross game transitions should be counted as nerfs in the same way as patches or adjustments within the same engine. A big reason Falcon suffered so hard in the transition to Brawl was due to engine changes and other characters being able to abuse them better. His actual attributes and numbers haven't really changed all that much since Melee unless it's in line with universal changes like fall speeds, he's just sort of riding on whatever engine he's put in. The dash grab they gave him in Smash 4 helps a lot though, still it can be argued this too is a universal change since on average Smash 4 has the best dash grabs by far.
I semi-agree with you on this.

But with different iterations with engines changes it could be argued that it is a nerf to the character.

With MK, the engine isn't what screwed in up between Brawl and S4, they literally gutted him until they slowly gave him power back via patches. With Falcon, yeah that seemed to be mostly the engine screwing him up over him being directly nerfed.

NairWizard

Somewhere
What happened to Falcon between Melee and Brawl...
Marth between Brawl and [release] S4...

are a lot worse nerfs than anything done to anyone in the smash4 patch cycle.

And still this pales in comparison to what happened to Ice Climbers.

RIP CGs 2001-2014

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
The Pits have never performed as well on the results front as their tier position would suggest. They are solid characters with fantastic frame data, but with the high tiers becoming more and more polarised toward strong advantaged states and strong kill power, I don’t know if the Pits compete as well as they used to. There’s just not that much reason to use them over Cloud, either.

IMO Peach was a victim of being overrated during “Peach Mania” a few months ago when Dark.Pch started putting tech videos out and SlayerZ was doing better. She’s a very technical character, but there’s not a great deal she can do to get around her so-so mobility and lack of kill confirms (killing an opponent who respects the hell out of Fair can be painful). To me she fits the “best mid-tier” mould along with Luigi and maybe Yoshi.

The thing about Greninja is that he doesn’t show up much but when he does show up, he does well. He often gets top 8, if not top 3, and rarely places lower than 12th. This is pretty valuable data. The Pits and Peach, on the other hand, tend not to show up at all.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
ZeRo is basically like any user in here: knows a lot about his mains, but still wants to state his opinion on other character that he knows a lot less about.
Damn, can he live? Y'all act like he didn't try consulting other people for many of his recent videos. As for the Bayonetta thing - one of her most successful players agrees! I know we like to pretend we're above the hoi polloi here, and that our opinions are so perfect, but do we have to do this for every video? Everyone here has been wrong before; the lucky thing is that our voices are diluted by the fact that A) we're in a large thread and B) we're not as famous.

But that's just my opinion.

JediLink

Smash Ace
And then there's Marvel 3 Sentinel, who went from THE go-to anchor in Week 1 Vanilla to "lol this character exists" in Ultimate.
Sent was never either of those things. In early vanilla he was nothing more than an overhyped noob slayer (a la 3DS Little Mac) and the nerfs he's gotten have been insignificant at best. He's never been a top tier threat, but he's always been relevant, and has made Top 8 at EVO almost every year including being on both teams in grand finals last year.

Son, I was a Tron main. Now that **** was a nerf. All I wanna do is IAD crossup fools with my girl, but I can't because Ultimate's balancing was was handled by a team of monkeys with keyboards and lobotomy patients. I still feel the rage to this day. **** Capcom.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I think patch 1.1.5 just rustled a lot of jimmies =) it's interesting seeing this metagame now

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Sorry to engage in the sort of micro-moderating that I hate, but I need to say this - can we move on from arguing about the severity of nerfs in other fighting games? We've established that saying Diddy had the most severe nerf was straight up stupid. The horse is well and truly dead now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Damn, can he live? Y'all act like he didn't try consulting other people for many of his recent videos. As for the Bayonetta thing - one of her most successful players agrees! I know we like to pretend we're above the hoi polloi here, and that our opinions are so perfect, but do we have to do this for every video? Everyone here has been wrong before; the lucky thing is that our voices are diluted by the fact that A) we're in a large thread and B) we're not as famous.

Still peeved that he has never consulted Bowser players for videos relating to him. Oh, and there's the whole "let's only focus on the negatives" that only he seems to get.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think despite all the hysteria that's going on right now because of Bayonetta, Diddy is actually the best character in the game now.

:059:

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Define real pressure.

Because Ryu is technically the ONLY char in the game with ACTUAL block strings.
By real pressure I meant safe pressure.

Forcing opponents into action via reletively passive or safe attacks, without putting percent on the line. Aka, shadow ball, limit break, banana, luma, needles, fox lasers, tomes.

People have got to do something about those and they cost the user's almost nothing. Admittedly Ryu's reward is high for the risk he carries but he needs to be on you. Other high tiers can play it much safer for decent reward, and avoid being killed early by playing 'lame' against ryu.

Also what are the block strings?

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I think despite all the hysteria that's going on right now because of Bayonetta, Diddy is actually the best character in the game now.

the games in a good state if that's the best character. Second best American Diddy is Zinoto or MVD.

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
Still peeved that he has never consulted Bowser players for videos relating to him. Oh, and there's the whole "let's only focus on the negatives" that only he seems to get.
If it helps, he hasn't been exactly fair to Robin either.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
So I'm going to consider awful results in the last two tiers.

Looking at this, there are 3 big stinkers here, Peach, Pit, and Dark Pit. These are pretty much the characters virtually acclaimed to be "good" characters. So what gives? People cite these 3 as high tiers. Yet their tournament results are abysmal. Peach might have an excuse because her skill cap is amongst the highest, but I can't vouch for the other Pits. They are easier to play, which should warrent a higher position. Characters like Mario and Cloud are easy to play too. So why aren't these two at least in M2's tier? Because they have no strong advantage state probably. Mario has blitzing speed, Cloud has ridiculous disjoints and lagless attacks, the Pits just kind of do everything...OK. Almost like Mario in Brawl, except better. They actually do everything average instead of below average. Very disappointing showing from these guys.

Really, I never thought these three were high tiers and this proves it. If the bar for upper mid is Luigi and Falcon, with other mid tiers on the rise like TL (why is he not universally high tier yet?) Lucas, and M2, these character should stay in middle of mid tier.
Those characters are not popular, which is why they tend to do well at bigger tournaments and have a much smaller presence when their best mains don't show up.

Just as it is important to see who placed where, it also important to see who showed up. Characters are backed by players, and if the players don't show, then neither does the character.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Son, I was a Tron main. Now that **** was a nerf. All I wanna do is IAD crossup fools with my girl, but I can't because Ultimate's balancing was was handled by a team of monkeys with keyboards and lobotomy patients.
Was so sad with Tron nerfs, man. At least she's still potent, but it's so much harder in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The idea that pressure that doesn't put you at risk isn't "real pressure" is silly.

Also, here's Mew2King teaching everyone how to edgeguard Cloud: http://pastebin.com/v9G29KnL

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I'm intrigued by Mew2Kings high rating of Rob, i think he overlooked the problems rob has offstage and trying to land. As well as being massive combo food. Rob has great advantages to him though but nothing overpowering like sonic speed, Luma, cloud limit or fox Uair.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Cloud could still be better than Diddy. It's going to revolve entirely on how people start abusing his recovery.

Bayo could be better. But, much like Brawl ICs, if you lame her the **** out she really can't do much. And I'm pretty convinced the nerf hammer is coming down on her if there are any more patches.

I'm not convinced anyone else is better. There's potential for Rosa but probably not with that bad Cloud MU. ZSS is a fair bit tamer (Bayo has taken up the ladder mantle) and Sheik's not really a contender with her poor mid-late percent throw game.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

Reasoning for this? I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility, but I'm still feeling Cloud/Bayo as stronger characters.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Reasoning for this? I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility, but I'm still feeling Cloud/Bayo as stronger characters.
He likely has the overall best neutral now and may not lose a single matchup. It's all very speculative ofc but I think it's somewhat likely.

Key313

Smash Cadet
Those characters are not popular, which is why they tend to do well at bigger tournaments and have a much smaller presence when their best mains don't show up.

Just as it is important to see who placed where, it also important to see who showed up. Characters are backed by players, and if the players don't show, then neither does the character.
Exactly what I was thinking. I was looking at bc's post about how multiple results for Greninja were in top spots yet Peach and Pit don't show up as a strike against them. Yet at something like Genesis Peach hit 17th (Slayerz) and 33rd (Umeki) with Pit (Earth) at an even better 13th. Yet Greninja was nowhere near that. Would it be a different case if istudying and other top Greninja players were there? Could be. You said for Peach that Slayerz was performing better back then. What has he been in since and where was his placings? Have not seen him since and I would love to being a Peach player myself. I can't even name another top Pit and with Earth messing with Corrin it's even harder to find where he stands. The players just have to be there for them to even have a chance at results. Being unpopular characters hurts this. I rarely see Villager placing anywhere high but then you have Ranai. If they stop showing up to get results are they now a bad character? It's hard to place them that's for sure. Why I'm kinda eh on results.

I'll also say that this can go for Bayonetta as well. If she doesn't show up in top spots people think that means she is just fine how she is. I think what Bayonetta players were there to compete in the first place. Not taking any sides on that issue. Just a thought.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

It was funny how people where telling the best smash 4 player on earth to git gud in response to his Bayonetta video.

I wish people could make a smarter counter claim than that

:150:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
He likely has the overall best neutral now and may not lose a single matchup. It's all very speculative ofc but I think it's somewhat likely.

No, Diddy definitely has losing matchups, especially after his nerfs. He's definitely no longer top-tier, and even Diddy mains adknowledge this fact.

Characters like Bayonetta and Corrin are a hard time for Diddy because they can react safely to his movements, and he can't risk throwing moves against Bayo at all.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
No, Diddy definitely has losing matchups, especially after his nerfs. He's definitely no longer top-tier, and even Diddy mains adknowledge this fact.

Characters like Bayonetta and Corrin are a hard time for Diddy because they can react safely to his movements, and he can't risk throwing moves against Bayo at all.
Top level Corrin's generally have a losing record against Diddy.

It's not that bad of a matchup, but it's most likely in Diddy's favor. Not too familiar with Diddy/Bayonetta, but he should be doing well in that matchup as well.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Ah, they do? Have been kind of tardy about viewing Smash4 tournaments for a while, so I haven't really seen how well the MU goes.

As for Bayo, I expect it'd be not a landslide in her favor, but the MU would probably be in her favor, especially if she can get in on Diddy before he can begin his banana shenanigans. :p

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Diddy mains don't acknowledge anything. The vast majority simply downplay him something fierce.

They hear MVD and ZeRo talking about how weak Diddy has become and then emulate it, despite the fact he's second only to Sheik in terms of results and Sheik will almost certainly drop off now.

M2K is overrating ROB I feel. The character definitely has some top tier strengths, but you can't just brush off those weaknesses to ZSS and Rosa. The whole reason he's lower than other characters is down to him having -2 MUs against common top tiers, when various characters around him shouldn't lose worse than -1 to anyone. His disadvantage state is low tier as well. His results are reasonable, but he lacks a real breakout result or player. I think ROB should beat any character without a strong advantage state or (anti-)zoning game, but most of the high and top tiers have at least one of those.

Lucario is a weird pick. Those throw KCs sound janky as hell; not only do you have to worry about rage, staling and opponent percentage, but Lucario's Aura as well. You'd be lucky to hit those windows in a real match. Ledge traps are amazing against anyone without a disjointed or long range Fair though. And he does indeed excel against characters that don't kill until late, which tends to include high and tops like Sheik, Diddy, Pikachu, Mario and Sonic. I think he has some valuable strengths and MUs and makes more sense as a top 15 pick than ROB, but he doesn't quite do it for me. His Cloud and Bayo MUs both seem quite poor.

Also a strange lack of MK in his top 15. I know Uair is super DI-able now but has it really come to this?

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

And that's what my post was alluding to: None of us are any better than him which is why it's silly to call him out on wanting to make those videos.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
And that's what my post was alluding to: None of us are any better than him which is why it's silly to call him out on wanting to make those videos.
Sorry, but that's not what you said... at all. If that was the point you were trying to make, then you'll need to word it much better next time.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
and has made Top 8 at EVO almost every year including being on both teams in grand finals last year.
Really? Whoops. Just shows how much I've been keeping up with MvC3 these days, haha.

Son, I was a Tron main. Now that **** was a nerf. All I wanna do is IAD crossup fools with my girl, but I can't because Ultimate's balancing was was handled by a team of monkeys with keyboards and lobotomy patients. I still feel the rage to this day. **** Capcom.
Oh yeah. I forgot about her. Fair enough.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Sorry, but that's not what you said... at all. If that was the point you were trying to make, then you'll need to word it much better next time.
"ZeRo is basically like any user in here: knows a lot about his mains, but still wants to state his opinion on other character that he knows a lot less about."

Like any user in here

How was this post in any way putting any user in this thread on a pedestal? I outright said that none of us are any better than him. None of us are perfect at all.

Trela

Smash Lord
As emblem lord has said a lot of mid level Ryus dont really understand the patience needed to play Ryu and are mainly thriving off of his high damage conversions and kill power which makes them fall off in higher seats of competition. Much like actual fighting games he has many good tolls in neutral, but no one option is so bonkers that it allows him to cheese through neutral.
This is something that I believe every Ryu player currently struggles with. It shows in my gameplay a lot for sure.

This character has the strongest bait-and-punish playstyle in the game, yet we continue to ignore it and rush ourselves in with something we've grown to believe is relatively safe. From careless Shoryukens, to unsafe Fairs, to whiffed Focus Attacks, you name it. What we need to start understanding is that once Ryu chooses an approach option, he has to commit to it heavily. Focus Attack is really the only exception with the dash canceling, but it's safe on block right? So even if they shield it, I'll be okay, right? I don't need to cancel it then!

*opponent spotdodges*

Oh.

B-but Nair on shield is also safe! Just Dtilt them afterwards!

*opponent rolls, gains stage control*

Ok.

Come on Trela, why aren't you approaching with Bairs!?

*opponent powershields*

MAN RYU IS JUST SO BAD I SHOULD GO BACK TO PLAYING CLOUD

With a character that has so many powerful mix-ups in neutral, as said earlier, why are we being so careless with it all? Why do we do this to ourselves!? Many factors play a part in how we play this character. For one thing, we write off Ryu's camp game as inferior to that of almost anyone else with a projectile. Hadouken is too slow, has too much endlag, and has no priority, so why use it? It is by far the most underrated move in Ryu's moveset. The level of pressure it possesses is actually better than I could've ever believed. But it's placement must be chosen very carefully. It's certainly a rather intricate move that can change how your opponent thinks in neutral and what they may try to do next. It can get annoying really fast!

There's this...."spot" on the stage Ryu wants to be in throughout the match. I don't even want to call it, "spacing" naturally, even though that's really what it is. But it's this feeling the Ryu players gets when he's at this certain...."spot". This placement between himself and his opponent where he's pretty much winning from the moment the neutral game truly begins. Don't laugh at me when I'm trying to explain this, okay!?

BURST RANGE, that's the term!

When Ryu is right outside the range of his opponent's fastest, most reliable approaching option. Their, "burst" attack. THAT'S where Ryu needs to be. THAT'S where he excels the most. If they try to get you with a dash attack or dash grab or Fair or whatever said character always approaches with, you punish from RIGHT outside that attack's range. Ryu's punish tools are literally out of this game's very world. If they're not doing any of this, then you should be throwing Hadoukens at their face, forcing them into learning how to deal with this new problematic option they're now up against.

Of course, MUs will weigh in on this style of play. For instance, Bayonetta's burst range is ridiculous. ABK from the air can punish even the best of your Hadouken's spacing. But ABK doesn't have enough priority to dare challenge something like Ryu's Fair. She's going to always lose that trade. This is an example of where bait-and-punish comes in for Ryu. Hadouken sets this up for you.

So yeah, random thoughts on Ryu again. I like coming to this thread often, but I just don't ever post. We need to get back to the drawing board with Ryu and figure out how to optimize our gameplay with him, because everyone's thoughts on Ryu being worth something more in top tier is slowly diminishing. Our placement of him on this current version of the tier list doesn't ride well with many. He CAN be up there, but we're not proving it.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Honestly...

As a :4charizard:main, I feel the same way.

:4bayonetta: is much easier than :4cloud: or especially :4zss: for mostly the same reasons.

:4charizard: has a harder time with actually comboing her but landing and recovering is easier as we have more options to do so.

Just wish we had an equivalent for tough guy. I mean Flare Bltiz is useful and hits like a truck, but it can get predictable sometimes.

I wonder, what happens if Whirling Fortress is Witch Timed... Does it clank with stuff? What about Bowser's Down Smash?
Whirling Fortress will clank with her smash attacks but her dair beats it (surprise surprise) so recovering against her can be pretty treacherous. It's probably much the same story with Bowser's dsmash, but I almost never use that move so I'm not sure.

:4bowser: and :4charizard: are very different in a lot of ways, but there do seem to be some similarities in how they fare competitively. :4zss: is a nightmare for :4bowser: as well, probably his worst matchup imo.

How much worse characters like :4bowser: and :4charizard: fare against :4zss: than they do against :4bayonetta: also draws attention to what is maybe the key reason why ZSS is far from just an inferior version of Bayonetta: her grab game. The reward ZSS gets off grabs means that shield will always be a much riskier option against her than it is against Bayonetta. There are other important differences between the two, but that alone should be enough to ensure that ZSS is never totally overshadowed by the Umbra witch in competitive play.

Last edited:

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
"ZeRo is basically like any user in here: knows a lot about his mains, but still wants to state his opinion on other character that he knows a lot less about."

Like any user in here

How was this post in any way putting any user in this thread on a pedestal? I outright said that none of us are any better than him. None of us are perfect at all.
I never said you were putting anyone on a pedestal. Zero is not like any user here, except a few people. He is qualified, beyond qualified, to talk about broken characters and his opinion does matter whether or not you want to accept it. That is not true for the average person here, they are free to voice their own opinion but their opinion does not hold nearly the same weight. You are not putting any particular person on a pedestal, rather you are comparing the unarguably best player in the world (by a large margin) to random users here.

You now say that he is better than anyone here, but that was not in your quoted post. You literally implied the opposite, which is the problem people found in your post.

And for the record, notable Bayo mains agree with his points, which goes without saying since he knows what he is talking about and has experience to be talking about it.

Last edited:

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
Aside from Ryuga and Zinoto / MVD and Ryo trading sets, what evidence is there for this?

Also a strange lack of MK in his top 15. I know Uair is super DI-able now but has it really come to this?
M2K's response to this (from Reddit):

i can see him as high as 16th for sure, but his Uair being dramatically changed completely changed how good the character is. Easier to smash DI, being able to DI away, and less hitstun all add up to make death combos (his main strategy by far) much worse.

i think he's very good, but i just dont think he is better than the characters i said before anymore. Before the Uair change, I would have put him at around 5th.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
By real pressure I meant safe pressure.

Forcing opponents into action via reletively passive or safe attacks, without putting percent on the line. Aka, shadow ball, limit break, banana, luma, needles, fox lasers, tomes.

People have got to do something about those and they cost the user's almost nothing. Admittedly Ryu's reward is high for the risk he carries but he needs to be on you. Other high tiers can play it much safer for decent reward, and avoid being killed early by playing 'lame' against ryu.

Also what are the block strings?
Most of those you listed have counter play.

Once Ryu is near you and pressing buttons there is really no counter play involved. Its a pure mix up. Guess wrong and you die. Simple stuff.

Rapid dtilt and rapid utilt are true block strings when done as quickly as possible. A shield grab attempt means they get hit. Same with trying to roll or spotdodge. They have to block 2 or 3 minimum before they can safely attempt to roll away.

And you are using that term safe pressure incorrectly.

What you are actually talking about is "free neutral", which everyone has acknowledged as Ryu not having any tool like that. That is not his design.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
I never said you were putting anyone on a pedestal. Zero is not like any user here, except a few people. He is qualified, beyond qualified, to talk about broken characters and his opinion does matter whether or not you want to accept it. That is not true for the average person here, they are free to voice their own opinion but their opinion does not hold nearly the same weight. You are not putting any particular person on a pedestal, rather you are comparing the unarguably best player in the world (by a large margin) to random users here.

You now say that he is better than anyone here, but that was not in your quoted post. You literally implied the opposite, which is the problem people found in your post.

And for the record, notable Bayo mains agree with his points, which goes without saying since he knows what he is talking about and has experience to be talking about it.
I probably shouldn't try to speak for other people, but I think his meaning was that ZeRo is like any user here just in the sense that he knows the most about his mains, and less about other characters, but still likes to share his opinion on those other characters (and since I am always curious to hear the opinion of the undisputed best, I am thankful for that). After all, that's why he tries to consult notable mains before making videos on other characters, isn't it? Of course ZeRo is well beyond everyone else in both skill and probably game knowledge as well, but I didn't read Solfiner Solfiner 's post as suggesting otherwise.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
This is something that I believe every Ryu player currently struggles with. It shows in my gameplay a lot for sure.

This character has the strongest bait-and-punish playstyle in the game, yet we continue to ignore it and rush ourselves in with something we've grown to believe is relatively safe. From careless Shoryukens, to unsafe Fairs, to whiffed Focus Attacks, you name it. What we need to start understanding is that once Ryu chooses an approach option, he has to commit to it heavily. Focus Attack is really the only exception with the dash canceling, but it's safe on block right? So even if they shield it, I'll be okay, right? I don't need to cancel it then!

*opponent spotdodges*

Oh.

Ok.

*opponent powershields*

With a character that has so many powerful mix-ups in neutral, as said earlier, why are we being so careless with it all? Why do we do this to ourselves!? Many factors play a part in how we play this character. For one thing, we write off Ryu's camp game as inferior to that of almost anyone else with a projectile. Hadouken is too slow, has too much endlag, and has no priority, so why use it? It is by far the most underrated move in Ryu's moveset. The level of pressure it possesses is actually better than I could've ever believed. But it's placement must be chosen very carefully. It's certainly a rather intricate move that can change how your opponent thinks in neutral and what they may try to do next. It can get annoying really fast!

There's this...."spot" on the stage Ryu wants to be in throughout the match. I don't even want to call it, "spacing" naturally, even though that's really what it is. But it's this feeling the Ryu players gets when he's at this certain...."spot". This placement between himself and his opponent where he's pretty much winning from the moment the neutral game truly begins. Don't laugh at me when I'm trying to explain this, okay!?

When Ryu is right outside the range of his opponent's fastest, most reliable approaching option. Their, "burst" attack. THAT'S where Ryu needs to be. THAT'S where he excels the most. If they try to get you with a dash attack or dash grab or Fair or whatever said character always approaches with, you punish from RIGHT outside that attack's range. Ryu's punish tools are literally out of this game's very world. If they're not doing any of this, then you should be throwing Hadoukens at their face, forcing them into learning how to deal with this new problematic option they're now up against.

Of course, MUs will weigh in on this style of play. For instance, Bayonetta's burst range is ridiculous. ABK from the air can punish even the best of your Hadouken's spacing. But ABK doesn't have enough priority to dare challenge something like Ryu's Fair. She's going to always lose that trade. This is an example of where bait-and-punish comes in for Ryu. Hadouken sets this up for you.

So yeah, random thoughts on Ryu again. I like coming to this thread often, but I just don't ever post. We need to get back to the drawing board with Ryu and figure out how to optimize our gameplay with him, because everyone's thoughts on Ryu being worth something more in top tier is slowly diminishing. Our placement of him on this current version of the tier list doesn't ride well with many. He CAN be up there, but we're not proving it.
Have you seen Juicebox's video on Street Fighter footsies? It basically elaborates on what you're talking about from a traditional fighting game perspective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

*opponent spotdodges*

Oh.

Ok.

*opponent powershields*

So about that neutral game.

Every character in every fighter ever has an optimal zone they want to be in. For some characters this zone doesnt really change. Marth is a good example. At about dtilt distance he has alot of strong options. His footsies while somewhat linear are ultra dominant. He has dtilt, jab, nair, fair and ftilt. They all control similar range so its just a matter of choosing the right normal. Some matches you may need to account for your opponents buttons more so then others (Bowser and DK) but for the most part once you have Marths general neutral spacing down, you are good to go.

Now here comes Ryu.

I'm gonna blow your mind everyone so take a second and breath.

Ryus optimal zone changes in EVERY match AND unlike the other characters he is REQUIRED to know and utilize ALL his neutral tools to prevail. He is also required to know how to properly counter his opponents option even if its with a universal option such as shielding. He also has no "free neutral" tool as stated. He has a plethora of solid options that will be dominant in some scenarios or matches and barely usable in others. For example, his Focus Attack is quite good vs characters that rely on strong single strike footsies like Ike, but poor vs Cloud and Marth who have good multi hitting side b specials.

Playing him means knowing that your opponent will probably be dictating the pace before you can get going and you need to use superior decision making to establish dominance and not rely on one or two overtuned neutral tools.

Annnnnd...thats it. You will get nothing else. I need you people to keep crying about Bayo while Ryu can KO confirm these weaklings at 85%.

Petty soon Ryu will be the only one with REAL kill confirms left.

Soon my brethren...soon OUR DRAGON EMPIRE!!!!

MUAHAHAHA!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom