• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Is there tournament footage of someone successfully DIing Bayonetta's combos?
Just to be clear, this was a completely direct question.

If you're trying to convince someone that Bayonetta doesn't get too much reward, use tournament footage of someone DIing her combos (Pink Fresh vs Mr R). Ideally Bayonetta would be innocent until proven guilty, but more often than not she'll be guilty till proven innocent.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Don't say fighters because this is how most fighters work. You get hit? You feel a lot of pain. Most fighters are unforgiving.

The issue with Bayo is her monstrous reward off several strong neutral tools. Reward other characters can't come close too.
Yeah, i take some issue with thr interaction thing. From the way MVC, a lot of anime fighters, and to a lesser extent Tekken work, people want crazy , high damage conversions for all their work in footsies and spacing wars.

If anything, Bayonetta is Sakurai or whoever from Namco is working on this game showing they know competitive fighters.

But we wanted competitive Smash, which is a different animal.

Edit: Bayo would make a great MVC character with some powering up. Always thought so.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
considering all this bayodrama i suppose it's worth noting a pie chart is imminent since it's been just about a month since 1.1.5 came out

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I think it's more interesting to see Sheik play their game around their numerous other kill confirms/set ups rather than needing to crutch on shielding and grabbing until it works.

Considering how much of those abilities still exist (don't you enjoy seeing needles to BF? I love it), it's basically superfluous on a power level point (being able to achieve the same things, just with more difficulty). The fair range nerf was more incidental in reducing power level then down throw up air.
Is there tournament footage of someone successfully DIing Bayonetta's combos?
DI doesnt mean you eradicate Bayo death combos. It just turns it into a multitude of 50/50s.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Pre-Patch Diddy was probably the most absurd thing any game ever had. I remember that time and some Diddy players said "no diddy is not that good" 8)

I think Mario is only slightly comparable to Cloud. He didn't have any real dominance even though he was easy to play because Mario has obvious weaknesses. Cloud was dominant from the beginning because he is easy to play while having absurd KO power. Easy KO power is pretty important, because getting kills is one of the main differences between a good and a bad player. Sometimes in pools my opponent plays even with me until I get the first kill. Not rarely I'm ending up 3 stocking them even though they went even the first stock, why? because they couldn't get the kill.

Even though Cloud is Sword-Mario, it's imo not that comparable because Cloud is on another level of pick-up and play.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Pre-Patch Diddy was probably the most absurd thing any game ever had. I remember that time and some Diddy players said "no diddy is not that good" 8)

I think Mario is only slightly comparable to Cloud. He didn't have any real dominance even though he was easy to play because Mario has obvious weaknesses. Cloud was dominant from the beginning because he is easy to play while having absurd KO power. Easy KO power is pretty important, because getting kills is one of the main differences between a good and a bad player. Sometimes in pools my opponent plays even with me until I get the first kill. Not rarely I'm ending up 3 stocking them even though they went even the first stock, why? because they couldn't get the kill.

Even though Cloud is Sword-Mario, it's imo not that comparable because Cloud is on another level of pick-up and play.
I think Mario's USmash is pretty absurd (not unjustified or a move that I would change, but it is. Frame 9 with head invul, a nice hitbox + low recovery, kills off the top which means stage positioning does not matter at all which is SUPER important) but he also has the added benefit of a grab game, better ways to threaten shields, an overall more well rounded gameplan (Mario's kill power isn't as explosive but he boasts better overall frame data than Sheik and has a stock cap kill throw that's really good, honestly. Being able to threaten a shield AND kill off of that is incredible), and you don't have to practice anything honestly. I love me some Mario because he is 100% fundamentally rewarding, and there's a character like this in every fighting game basically (whether or not they're good can vary, but they usually are.) Cloud is the better character between the two but I think Mario is more conventional and easier to explain and use, in practice.

With Cloud if you do not know basic recovery mixups you will die, period. Yes his recovery is pretty easy once you get the hang of it but you have to actually like, get the hang of it and learn it. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get the hang of most of what Cloud had to offer (you'll note that it took Mario less time to be considered good once WiiU version rolled around and we got our finalized system mechanics. Cloud was touted as mediocre for a good while). It took me like 1 week tops for Mario. This is all based on personal experience but it's what I know. Mario is like, at most, basic double jump preservation and memorizing good distances to up+B from, and timing variation. I don't think either Cloud or Mario are significantly easy at top level though.

Also yeah Diddy was the most insane thing. A fun story about pre-patch Diddy: My friend outplayed me for like 2 solid stocks but lost to a Uair as CHARIZARD from slightly above ground level at like, 110% while I had Rage. It was his last stock. It felt awful LOL. I actually think Diddy would be beyond what he was before if he got his old Uair back just cause his current U-Throw stands out to me as like, one of the most consistent combo throws in the game. So good. (Sorry for this giant wall of text, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible)

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
This is a post I wrote on the banning Bayo thread (trust me, it talks mostly about her design and very little about banning her):

"Bayonetta's poor design is just another testament to Sakurai's flawed understanding of competitive play. Players who are competitively avid of fighting games don't want long, flow-chart combos; they're looking for interactions. Because that's the idea in the first place: a good fighting game is one full of interactions. Bayonetta shuts down the whole cast in her advantage with highly damaging combos that are very difficult to escape; the minimal interaction with the opponent goes against the design philosophy of a good fighting game.

As a player, I should NEVER be in a situation where I might as well just put down the controller for the same outcome. If a player doesn't SDI the first hit of Witch Twist, that's at least 30% damage, and at most death. If the player gets caught in Witch Time, all they can do is watch as they take massive damage and potentially die. Bayonetta doesn't 0-death with any consistency, and the misconception that she does needs to be put to rest. The issue is that so much of her damage is guaranteed, while the rest of the cast has to go for reads to extend their strings for a similar damage output.

Let's take a look at Melee, a hallmark in the design of fighting games, and video games in general. It's common knowledge that Melee's engine allows for a much more varied and extensive combo game than in Smash 4. What makes Melee's combo-friendly system so intriguing is that the attacker is always forced to interact with their opponent due to DI. Good DI saves you, bad DI kills you. DI can mitigate damage from combos, but it can also create combos that should have never worked if the attacker reads such DI. In Melee, Captain Falcon on Final Destination has certain 0-death combos on Marth that only work given a specific DI from the Marth player. I, and many other players, love the DI mechanic, because it prevents us from just sitting and watching ourselves get helplessly carried across the screen, and it makes combos interactive rather than brain-dead.

This is where Bayonetta's design fails. She's designed around combos, not interactions. People like to say "learn to DI/SDI," but that doesn't have much of an effect overall, and still doesn't solve the core issue with her design. Let me elaborate:

1) DI in Smash 4 simply isn't as strong as it was in Melee (and works a bit differently)
2) Bayonetta's combos are predominantly vertical, which effectively limits the opponent's DI'ing capacity; remember MK and ZSS ladders?

That brings up another point: :4metaknight::4zss:. Call me biased towards my main, but I find it relevant considering we're talking about ladder combos. "No one was really complaining about MK and ZSS, not as much as with Bayonetta. They should learn to DI," is what I see some people saying in Bayonetta's defense. The truth is, MK's and ZSS's ladders weren't as problematic as Bayonetta's. (They still exist, but are much weaker, for those who are still unsure). But why?

:4zss:'s ladder never killed without rage and/or bad DI, and started with a highly punishable grab.

:4metaknight:'s ladder worked at a narrow 5-10% range (or 2% range if you're getting super technical), started with a shield-grabable dash attack, required well-timed fast-falling, and didn't kill if the opponent ended up above Meta Knight due to Shuttle Loop's blindspot. It was also flat-out unreliable and suicidal against ledge-camping opponents.

:4bayonetta:'s ladders start working at 0%, and can be opened with a variety of moves from a frame 4 Witch Twist, an amazing counter, up tilt, down tilt, and After-Burner Kick. Either she KO's you or you take as much as 50% and even more. Given the right circumstances, she can even carry characters off the side. Unlike MK and ZSS, her combo specials do not cause helplessness, meaning such combos are low-risk, insane reward, and most characters won't be able to get down to the ground fast enough to adequately punish her landing lag.

Pre-patch, outside of the 30-40% range, you would fight MK in essentially the same way as you'd fight any other character. Outside of his ladder, MK dealt on average 15-20% in guaranteed damage off combos, and the same applied to ZSS--this meant that outside of their death set-ups, their damage output was on par with the rest of the cast. Such does not apply to Bayonetta. She has potential KO's at any percent, and if she does not KO, then she's landing on average 30-40% in guaranteed damage regardless of your current percentage, which is beyond the overall damage output of everyone else.

Bayonetta is a problem. Whether or not she really is ban-worthy cannot be truly decided as of yet. Personally, I prefer pre-patch Sheik to Bayonetta. Yes, I prefer fighting against a character who hard-countered my main rather than a character with whom my main arguably goes even. And there's a very good reason: players found a way to circumvent Sheik's intended KOing issue; Bayonetta is centered around such overly rewarding set-ups, and is a problem at the core of her design.

Sakurai has proven already that he has a misguided understanding of competitive play, and Bayonetta provides more proof. 1.1.6 (if it does happen) will nerf Bayonetta, but I highly doubt it will solve the heart of the problem. Tell me, how did the nerfs in 1.1.5 affect Bayonetta? In no major way. Witch Twist is one of the best moves in the game, Witch Time is by far the best counter, Heel Slide was already unsafe pre-patch, and her up and forward smashes are still powerful--quite a lot was changed, but it all had little effect because her core gameplay is still the same. Fixing Bayonetta requires Sakurai to completely overhaul her design, and that is highly unlikely."
Even my DK main training partner is able to get out of my Bayo combos if he pays attention to my possible followups and DK is ****ing huge.
Bayos special strings have AT LEAST two 50/50s where you can get out. Not to mention the all so popular fAir combo extenders that are not true at all, since you can simply DI into the sour spot and be done with it consistently.

You also conveniently ignored ZSS' other combo starters for ladder like nAir/uAir, her ez grab confirms like nAir/zAir and ignored other bull**** like ZSS flip kick edgeguards that are guaranteed kills at 10%+ on half of the cast.

Routa

Smash Lord
Do any of mii's have kill confirms? I know gunner has some stuff with missile -> charge shot, but I don't think he can really fish for this since the charge shot has to be fired before the missile is confirmed to hit. (Or is it charge shot from flame pillar?)

Idk, I do imagine gunner has some decent traps due to his range and long lasting hitboxes...

But do any of the other miis get kill confirms off of tilts or landing aerials? something consistently able to be landed even if someon knows the MU?
Well Swordfighter has his Tilt Chakram into F-Smash/Hero's Spin/Power Thrust. That is pretty much all "confirms" that Swordfighter has. And getting Tilt Chakram isn't that easy tho. Miis have hard time killing in general due to lack of reliable kill moves. Most of Swordfighter's kills come from edgeguarding *cough* Dair -> Footstool *cough*. Also Guest Sized Swordfighter's D-Throw -> Uair stops working at kill % so yeah. This only works on smaller sizes.

Anyways back to Top tier MUs. Call me crazy, but I could see Bayonetta being even MU for Swordfighter. Now I will note that I have some experience of this MU, but I am not a high lvl player nor were the Bayos I fought against. So this comes down mostly to theory.
Neutral comes down to throwing Chakrams. Short hop downwards angled smashed Chakram beats Bayo's ground approach complitely (if we don't count walking and shielding). There are also cases where Swordfighter's U-Smash clanking with Bayo's U-Smash when caught in WT. D-Tilt is also amazing too against grounded approach. Swordfighter in general can use his normal gameplan effectively in Bayo MU. Only thing that might make this MU slightly unfavourable for Swordfighter is the fact that you simply cannot edgeguard her so well. When it comes to stages Swordfighter wants as plathformless stage as possible (FD, Duck Hunt etc) to gain most out of his Chakram spacing. There isn't really anything special in this MU. It is just spacing with Chakram and being careful with thous punishes and kill moves. But like I said theoretically the MU is even or slightly for Bayo.

I would love to talk about the MU more deeply, but I'm not that great at explaining so this has to do for now.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Bayo special strings have AT LEAST two 50/50s where you can get out. Not to mention the all so popular fAir combo extenders that are not true at all, since you can simply DI into the sour spot and be done with it consistently.
Oh really? Is that why this happened?

:150:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Oh really? Is that why this happened?

:150:
Looks like he managed to sdi/di out then the bayo player decided to do a single fair instead of the smart option (uair, fast fall)

Like when you get out of second upb you can almost always airdodge the uair (dependent on how you sdi/di), fair whiffs lol just kill her with something

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

I ultimately categorize these results depending on the skill pool of the tourney, resulting in four different categories. As there have been no Supermajors in the last month, there are no Category 4 tournaments in this iteration.

Categories are used in this model to be able to separate skill levels by increasing the value of each result in tournaments with higher skill pools. Basically:

Category 1: 13th placing = 1 point, 9th placing = 2 points, 7th = 3 points, etc. until 1st = 8 points.

Categories 2 and 3 are much the same, except the value is increased by 2. Meaning 13th placing = 3 points (Category 2) and 5 points (Category 3), and 1st = 10 points (Category 2) and 12 points (Category 3)

Example: A Cloud that places 7th at a Category 1 tournament is awarded 3 points.

For secondaries, characters get half-value. This is to reduce inflation while still recognizing the value of the secondary.

Example: A Diddy player using Mario as a secondary gets 2nd at a Category 1 tournament. Diddy is awarded 7 points, Mario is awarded 3.5 points.

This isn't flawless for a number of reasons, including the potentially arbitrary categorization in some instances, so I have provided the tournament Top 16s used in this model:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z134y9JCbXApl2X14tMNrm-5-NqY6mzgCo1bHDM3V3s/edit?usp=sharing

"Other" includes all characters that scored below 20 points over the course of the last month. For specific results on those characters and a non-pie chart form, see this list:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11RVu-rLupjUuio796C3Ss03Q5mfyEhHZPfMyV7JEyOw/edit?usp=sharing

I did this partly to see exactly how well controversial characters did in tournaments. This is not meant to define which characters are better than other but a database of results in relevant tournies seems well worth having. This is simply my shot at ranking the characters using those results.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Every game Mr.R is in?

Like nobody is perfect but you have to be intentionally ignoring any notable set with a bayo to ask this >.>

Also holy ****, bunbun, all of bayo's combos have heavy interactivity and only someone who has no understanding of the character would complain that they don't.
Even her simplest kill confirm (up-b > side-b > up-b > uair) is at best a 50/50 for bayo (dependent on the opponent's DI) and likely worse than that.
Typical BS from a Bayo main. Do you guys ever quit?

No, you cannot DI/SDI out of Bayo's combos. Even if you do manage to get incredibly lucky and escape from her Witch Twist strings, all she has to do is move over slightly and do another. Even if you do manage to escape entirely (because the Bayo is bad or something), you will be eating huge damage. All I can say is: if you are gonna play a character like Bayonetta, at least accept that she is broken in many ways instead of trying to defend her to the bitter end.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
That's awesome info Das Koopa Das Koopa and the pie chart makes it easy to read and understand.

Have a quick question, though, did Bayonetta get the "top value" due to a lot of people using her and placing top 16 but not top 4? Or is her value due to how well a handful of people are placing with her? I would imagine it's both to some extent, but outside of Japan (and I'm not sure of European tournaments, tbh) she doesn't seem to get first very often.

EDIT: Also, what region of TX are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
You're kind of right, actually. I still personally feel like Bayonetta is the more damaging character at high level play. However, Cloud destroys For Glory, Smash Ladder, smaller tourneys, and even sometimes the more notable ones. This is because ANYONE can pick him up and do decently well with him. He is by far the easiest character to play in the entire game since all you need to know to play him is how to press a direction + a button.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that he is the easiest character to have ever appeared in a Smash game. To play him, all you need are the basics. No techskill, no spacing (since he has ridiculous range), barely even any basic techniques like pivot grabbing, etc. In the long run, he may be the one that ruins the meta more; not because he's OP, but because he's so ridiculously easy to play and gets huge reward. That's another problem as well...

Think about this: Both Cloud and Sheik (post 1.1.5) are considered top 10 characters. For Sheik to get similar reward to Cloud and reach that "top 10" potential, the player needs to have way more knowledge of the game. So, to a lot of players who play hard characters like that, it feels dumb.

I think that's why there are a lot of low-tier and mid-tier characters who have lost their rep to Cloud, as opposed to Corrin or Bayonetta, etc. People who play those characters look at Cloud and say: "holy ****! I've just spent [insert large amount of time] playing this low-tier character, learning the plethora of ATs that they have just so I can get decent reward. What a waste now that there is Cloud who can get twice as much reward for a tenth of the work...".

That's why he hurts the metagame nearly as much as Bayo. He greatly limits diversity.
Disagree, Bayo is better at lower levels. Cloud still thrives off fundamentals, he's not safe without spacing, bar perhaps when using full hop dair. His recovery is also a serious liability if you are not good. You need to know how to Smash to win with him. You might beat someone above your skill level because you can play quite effectively as Cloud without doing anything special, but you still need some degree of fundamentals to get stuff done. You need to know what you are doing.

With Bayo its different. Yeah you might need to go into training mode. But once you've spent about 3 hours in there practicing her basic stuff you're ready to go even if you havent touched a smash game before. She bypasses fundamentals by being oppressive as ****. This is especially true online. You can beat weaker Anthers Ladder players using Bayo without having jack Smash 4 experience. Now these players might not be good, but they could still have a year of Smash 4 experience, might've attended a tourney or two. A Bayo player could beat them after a days of practice learning some specific inputs. Cloud could never do that, Cloud needs to use certain attacks in certain ways in certain situations, Bayo isnt nearly as complex that way. You still need to know the game to play Cloud, with Bayo you dont need to play Smash 4 until you get to tourney level and beyond. You just need to know Bayo. If you bought Smash 4 and a Wii U, picked up Cloud, and then practiced for a day and then went on to fight someone who despite being sub-tourney level still had a year of smash 4 experience you would lose hard. With Bayo you could win.

As to why people pick Cloud over Corrin and Bayo: He's more aesthetically appealing than both Corrin and Bayo. Corrin requires more skill to be effective with. And Bayo doesnt feel like youre playing Smash and everyone hates Bayo and Bayo is going to get nerfd. Its not just that Cloud is easy and effective. Bayo has that going for her as well.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
That's awesome info Das Koopa Das Koopa and the pie chart makes it easy to read and understand.

Have a quick question, though, did Bayonetta get the "top value" due to a lot of people using her and placing top 16 but not top 4? Or is her value due to how well a handful of people are placing with her? I would imagine it's both to some extent, but outside of Japan (and I'm not sure of European tournaments, tbh) she doesn't seem to get first very often.
I haven't done a complete breakdown but it doesn't seem as though there's a huge dropoff from Top 16 to Top 8, and Euro/Japanese tournies definitely have a greater share of higher placing Bayonettas just by glancing at the results. I figure that in spite of her few wins, she still frequently makes Top 4s at regionals, and is the most consistent character to do so overall, resulting in her having the highest value.

EDIT: Also, what region of TX are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
DFW. I don't have time to attend tournies atm but I'll probably start sometime this summer.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Disagree, Bayo is better at lower levels. Cloud still thrives off fundamentals, he's not safe without spacing, bar perhaps when using full hop dair. His recovery is also a serious liability if you are not good. You need to know how to Smash to win with him. You might beat someone above your skill level because you can play quite effectively as Cloud without doing anything special, but you still need some degree of fundamentals to get stuff done. You need to know what you are doing.

With Bayo its different. Yeah you might need to go into training mode. But once you've spent about 3 hours in there practicing her basic stuff you're ready to go even if you havent touched a smash game before. She bypasses fundamentals by being oppressive as ****. This is especially true online. You beat weaker Anthers Ladder players using Bayo without having jack Smash 4 experience. Now these players might not be good, but they could still have a year of Smash 4 experience, might've attended a tourney or two. A Bayo player could beat them after a days of practice learning some specific inputs. Cloud could never do that, Cloud needs to use certain attacks in certain ways in certain situations, Bayo isnt nearly as complex that way. You still need to know the game to play Cloud, with Bayo you dont need to play Smash 4 until you get to tourney level and beyond. You just need to know Bayo.

As to why people pick Cloud over Corrin and Bayo: He's more aesthetically appealing than both Corrin and Bayo. Corrin requires more skill to be effective with. And Bayo doesnt feel like youre playing Smash and everyone hates Bayo and Bayo is going to get nerfd. Its not just that Cloud is easy and effective. Bayo has that going for her as well.
You need to know how to read basic DI/SDI and you need to have at least some handle on Smash as a game to pick her up. You can't just spend a couple hours in the lab and instantly know how to beat everyone better than you with her combos. Yes, she is OP but, no, she is not a character you can pick up in one sitting. Cloud is (you can definitely pick her up super fast, though. Just not as fast as Cloud, in my opinion).

Also, I don't know about you, but I destroy every Bayo I come across who doesn't know their ****. I think there is huge potential for players to be carried by the character but, at least for me, unskilled Clouds are harder to deal with and might even take a stock off me whereas unskilled Bayo's can't. I'm just judging from my own experience, though.

Like your attitude is any better.

Please, at least try and prove @Ghostbone wrong instead of scrubbing up this thread with bitchfest testimonials.

Smooth Criminal
Read the rest of the post. By the way, you are super mature. ;)

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Like your attitude is any better.

Please, at least try and prove @Ghostbone wrong instead of scrubbing up this thread with bitchfest testimonials.

Smooth Criminal
Don't ask for too much effort now, a lot of the rebuttals to Ghostbone have been really lackluster and it's saddening. Of course it's also gone into player hate because what else would happen?

Like I ****ing hate Bayonetta too but even I could do better. CMONNN.

Also yeah Cloud def works in one sitting. It's still approximately one more sitting than Mario though.

Last edited:

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I haven't done a complete breakdown but it doesn't seem as though there's a huge dropoff from Top 16 to Top 8, and Euro/Japanese tournies definitely have a greater share of higher placing Bayonettas just by glancing at the results. I figure that in spite of her few wins, she still frequently makes Top 4s at regionals, and is the most consistent character to do so overall, resulting in her having the highest value.
So it is both, it seems like: a lot of people doing really well. I wonder if that is more evidence to the whole "carrying players" thing. Though I don't believe it when it comes to people like Pink Fresh, Salem, AeroLink, 9B and some others.

DFW. I don't have time to attend tournies atm but I'll probably start sometime this summer.
Ayyy, same. Do you enter as Das Koopa? I'll keep an eye out for you at shockwaves, though I'm leaving in June to Houston.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
What does maturity have to do with your incessant complaining and hopeless demeanor

Smooth Criminal
It's cute how you sign every post. ;)

It's still approximately one more sitting than Mario though.
It's hilarious how people still think that Mario is the easiest character in the game. Why not go play him yourself? You'll quickly find out that Cloud is far easier than he is. The only thing that's easy about Mario is that you can spam Smash attacks. It's sad that this opinion is still perpetuated just because Mario is the "standard" character.

xander is a living example of the dunning-kruger effect

block him, you won't regret it
Watch out! Another degenerate Bayo main incoming!

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Most of the french player who play Bayonetta now (either as main or secondary) have been considered Top players before and would place like they did without Bayonetta as well.
Some Sheik mains/secondarys have switched to Bayonetta because they don't want to deal with Sheiks nerf. Sheik has still an impressive amount of results though.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
tfw reading this stuff on cci when you can literally lab this stuff and learn how to counterplay bayo combos from a few hours with a friend

The reward she gets is massively skewed, but come on. It's not completely uninteractive.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Why not go play him yourself?
I actually do LOL. Go ask anyone in my circle of friends, I don't practice the character at all (the last time I even sat down with him extensively was 3-4 months ago when I tried to lab out gimmicky landing Dair > Dsmash kill confirms) and he's still arguably my most consistent character, even far above my Cloud. I highly doubt it's because I play Doc, the only thing really similar between them is attack range and frame data.

I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have experience with Mario. His combos are easy, his recovery is easy, dealing with projectiles is nice with a super lenient reflector, he has incredible frame data and I love the character to death because he's basically the ST Ryu of this game, not the Ryu Ryu, the ST one (top tier).

Like, this isn't even a knock at his playerbase. The character's just fantastic and incredibly intuitive, more than even Cloud insofar as intuitiveness goes. Mario was so obviously good from the start, people figured this out at a really fast rate once we got to the WiiU release with the finalized game mechanics.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I actually do LOL. Go ask anyone in my circle of friends, I don't practice the character at all (the last time I even sat down with him extensively was 3-4 months ago when I tried to lab out gimmicky landing Dair > Dsmash kill confirms) and he's still arguably my most consistent character, even far above my Cloud. I highly doubt it's because I play Doc, the only thing really similar between them is attack range and frame data.

I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have experience with Mario. His combos are easy, his recovery is easy, dealing with projectiles is nice with a super lenient reflector, he has incredible frame data and I love the character to death because he's basically the ST Ryu of this game, not the Ryu Ryu, the ST one (top tier).

Like, this isn't even a knock at his playerbase. The character's just fantastic and incredibly intuitive, more than even Cloud. Mario was so obviously good from the start, people figured this out at a really fast rate once we got to the WiiU release with the finalized game mechanics.
Okay, I agree with you there. The character is just plain incredible but that can be said about some of the other top 10s as well. I still feel like Cloud is easier to learn but to each their own.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
My favorite era of this thread, way back in the distant past, was when we were having the "Is Mario Bottom 5?" discussion that raged for days and days. Mind you, this was lead by one particularly bullheaded poster (if you've read this thread enough you know who I'm talking about), and this was also after vectoring was patched out, so he was really coming from a wild mindset to make that argument. But still, it's been very entertaining to see Mario's esteem grow in the competitive mindset.

God, I've been reading these threads for way too long.

Also, can y'all take this weird slap fight somewhere else? Getting heated about Smash Brothers is insanely embarrassing.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
My favorite era of this thread, way back in the distant past, was when we were having the "Is Mario Bottom 5?" discussion that raged for days and days. Mind you, this was lead by one particularly bullheaded poster, and this was also after vectoring was patched out, so he was really coming from a wild mindset to make that argument. But still, it's been very entertaining to see Mario's esteem grow in the competitive mindset.

God, I've been reading these threads for way too long.
In regards to vectoring, I think its removal was the single best buff/adjustment that Mario ever got. Consistency is awesome and it also made his USmash hit like a beast.

Amen to what I bolded though, Mario is definitely the Ryu, just not the Ryu everyone talks about (Ryu as a balanced char vs. Ryu in his earlier days past World Warrior where he was the worst in the game but we don't talk about that).

He is still probably the most satisfying pick up and play character in the game for me. Whenever I just pick him on a whim I feel really free in....well, everything. I think this largely happened because people started looking past Utilt chains and looked at other strings and whatnot.

Also Nair <3

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that's always been Mario's biggest thing. You think a thing, press the button, and then he does it. No fuss, no muss. It's just that in Smash 4, you think a thing, press the button, and then he does it really well holy **** you just racked up 70 damage! As a long time Mario main it's been very satisfying to play this iteration of Mario. He's never been better, except maybe Project M 3.0 Mario.

And god, could you imagine Smash 4 if it still had vectoring? Yikes, to say the least.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Yeah that's always been Mario's biggest thing. You think a thing, press the button, and then he does it. No fuss, no muss. It's just that in Smash 4, you think a thing, press the button, and then he does it really well holy **** you just racked up 70 damage! As a long time Mario main it's been very satisfying to play this iteration of Mario. He's never been better, except maybe Project M 3.0 Mario.

And god, could you imagine Smash 4 if it still had vectoring? Yikes, to say the least.
This is why I play Mario. He's so dang fun and satisfying. This is how he always should have been instead of his... unfortunate Brawl iteration. I was so excited when I realized he was really good in Smash 4.

By the way, I don't think vectoring would have destroyed him. It just would make him weaker since he would still combo hard and have fantastic frame data. He would definitely be getting kills later, though, since U-smash is so important.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
This talk about Mario is making me want to go back to him, Mario was my default character until sometime during Brawl where I played Mother 3 and so decided to dedicate myself to Lucas.

Speaking of, how is Mario's MU with Sonic, Diddy and Fox? Maybe having him as a pocket could be handy for me, depending on whether I can bring myself to actually invest some time into him lol

Yikarur

Smash Master
Do you remember the "Yoshi has no results, never Top20" etc. time?

According to Koopas pie chart Yoshi has better results than Pikachu :D :D

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
So it is both, it seems like: a lot of people doing really well. I wonder if that is more evidence to the whole "carrying players" thing. Though I don't believe it when it comes to people like Pink Fresh, Salem, AeroLink, 9B and some others.
I think she definitely has carried specific players but none of the ones you listed qualify imo: they all have histories with the series in a way that show they're good players.

Ayyy, same. Do you enter as Das Koopa? I'll keep an eye out for you at shockwaves, though I'm leaving in June to Houston.
I'll sign up as Barnard's Loop most likely

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
A couple of pages ago Xandercosm Xandercosm mentioned something like, "Bayonetta is boring to fight because she encourages you to be defensive, wait for an opportunity, then go in and get a couple of hits before retreating," as if this were some terrible fate for a fighting game.

The thing is, that's what fighting games ARE. That's the fundamental basis for not just fighting games but most competitive games. You don't play Starcraft and go, "I see an opening, time to THROW EVERYTHING I HAVE AT 'EM." If they defend well, that can just get you killed. What could have been an effective attack because you lost minimal resources by pulling back at the right time becomes catastrophic because you overextended.

I think Bayonetta, rather than being in a Brawl ICs position, might find herself in more of a Melee ICs kind of place. In Melee, Ice Climbers can be a menace to low-to-mid-level tournament players, as wobbling is the nastiest thing to someone who overextends or has poor grab defense. Near the top, the Ice Climbers start to taper off. Right now, Bayonetta is doing well, and perhaps is deserving of a nerf, but the worst thing would be for Nintendo to be too quick to pull the trigger.

I believe that the reason Bayonetta hasn't been nerfed heavily (though don't forget she WAS nerfed!) is BECAUSE the character is so new. Are two months really enough time for anti-Bayo strats to trickle down to every level of play? Moreover, it should be noted what the Bayo nerfs were:

• Dair Duration: 42F -> 47F
  • Witch Twist (Ground)
    • First Hit Damage: 4/4/3/3 -> 3/3/2/2
    • Multihit (Hits 2-4) Damage: .3 -> .2
  • Witch Time:
    • Total Duration: 44 -> 49
    • Witch Time Effects: Lasts shorter amount of time
    • Witch Time Duration Penalty Per Use: 50F/50F -> 75F/50F (after 100 frames, it recovers 6 frames of length)
  • Heel Slide:
    • Startup: 2.1F -> 2.46F
    • Hit 2 Duration: 7F -> 8F
    • Button Held Total Duration: 72F -> 77F
  • Fsmash:
    • All Hits KBG: 105 -> 102
    • All Hits BKB: 25 -> 26
  • Usmash:
    • Early Hit KBG: 92 -> 90
    • Normal Hit KBG: 92 -> 90
    • Late Hit KBG: 92 -> 90
The key ones are greater end lag on certain key moves like Dair, Witch Time, and Heel Slide. It's not huge, but they're clearly trying to encourage players to bait and punish Bayonetta.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
A couple of pages ago Xandercosm Xandercosm mentioned something like, "Bayonetta is boring to fight because she encourages you to be defensive, wait for an opportunity, then go in and get a couple of hits before retreating," as if this were some terrible fate for a fighting game.
You clearly don't understand what I was trying to say. Bayonetta, just like Brawl ICs, promotes campy play where the opponent tries as hard as they can to play keep away until she gets up to KO percents and then start fishing. That is INSANELY boring. I don't know if you ever payed attention to Brawl but, if so, do you remember how people would fight the ICs? You were forced to run for your life while spamming here and there (which is why Tink was a semi-counter to ICs). That is incredibly boring and results in a super flowchart fighting game where people live up to high percents. From there, you just wait for who gets the first hit at, like 150% for the win.

That would hurt Smash 4 in a big way. If they nerf Bayo and Cloud, top tier will be super balanced and I think Smash 4 would pretty much be able to stop balance patches altogether (except for maybe a few buffs to low tiers).

This talk about Mario is making me want to go back to him, Mario was my default character until sometime during Brawl where I played Mother 3 and so decided to dedicate myself to Lucas.

Speaking of, how is Mario's MU with Sonic, Diddy and Fox? Maybe having him as a pocket could be handy for me, depending on whether I can bring myself to actually invest some time into him lol
Mario pretty much goes even with all three of them. As a Mario main, I can't resist saying you should pick him up.

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
The key ones are greater end lag on certain key moves like Dair, Witch Time, and Heel Slide. It's not huge, but they're clearly trying to encourage players to bait and punish Bayonetta.
I have to question the logic behind meaning to make Bayonetta weak to bait and punish, and then make side B bounce away on shield.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
"1.1.5 didn't nerf Bayo enough, ergo clearly Sakurai doesn't understand fighting games and will never nerf her properly."

Aside from the obvious problems with this assumption, it's poignant to mention that 1.1.5 was the first balance patch that came out a few months after this character was released. I'd very much like you to try and take a highly controversial character that's been out for 3 months with an impact on the meta that isn't properly tangible to describe at that point and nerf them appropriately.

While you're at it maybe you could add Ridley. You know, just in case the task wasn't big enough for you already.

:p

To elaborate slightly more, the dev team has showed that over-nerfing characters is a bad idea. If you haven't been listening to Greninja + Luigi mains for the past year then you're probably also the kind of person who sleeps through house fires and world apocalypses.

They go with a conservative but effective approach, and often problematic characters are just as focused on as meta-centralising characters (Luigi was nerfed long before Sheik had any changes given out to her that weren't slap on the wrist). They'd rather balance slowly but surely as opposed to knee-jerk reaction balance changes that drastically alter the game and create 'top tier of the week' scenarios that League is joked about for.

While I agree with TTTTTsd TTTTTsd and am looking forward to the day patches get totally decommissioned so that I don't have to listen to "I WANT TOON LINK NERFED HIS CAMPING IS SO OPPRESSIVE", I also think the balance patches so far have been fantastic and think the dev team is doing a great job. And for a dev team that says time and time again that balance patches aren't just for us, the competitive scene, they're doing a fantastic job of being able to have the game they envisioned whilst catering to our wants and ideals.

So they're probably doing significantly better than a rather large majority of us here who have very skewed ideas of what game balance actually is and what it actually means.

Sorry if this comes off kind of sassy, I actually don't mean to be, well, mean here, so uhh, if it comes off that way I'm sorry *hides*

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
You clearly don't understand what I was trying to say. Bayonetta, just like Brawl ICs, promotes campy play where the opponent tries as hard as they can to play keep away until she gets up to KO percents and then start fishing. That is INSANELY boring. I don't know if you ever payed attention to Brawl but, if so, do you remember how people would fight the ICs? You were forced to run for your life while spamming here and there (which is why Tink was a semi-counter to ICs). That is incredibly boring and results in a super flowchart fighting game where people live up to high percents. From there, you just wait for who gets the first hit at, like 150% for the win.

That would hurt Smash 4 in a big way. If they nerf Bayo and Cloud, top tier will be super balanced and I think Smash 4 would pretty much be able to stop balance patches altogether (except for maybe a few buffs to low tiers).
How is playing keep away and then trying to score the kill at high percents evident of "flowchart' gameplay? How is camping any sign that a game involves no thinking (which is what flowchart implies)?

Tell me, if I'm Mega Man and I'm fighting a Luigi, why shouldn't I be running away and spamming him? If I'm Mewtwo, and I'm fighting anyone that combo me to death, why shouldn't I be as cautious as possible? And who in the world automatically just says that such strategies are too boring?

I thought we were over the "threat" of boring play. While I understand that some players would rather run in and be all exciting with their aggression, that sort of play gets shut down eventually by facing a better opponent. If anything, the issue comes from mid-level Bayonettas being too much for fellow mid-level players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom