• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm just gonna take a second and say something.

I can understand accepting the current state of balance in the game. What I can't ever understand is being content with it.
Of course we're not content with balance, hardly anybody is with the balance of a game as a whole. Can you think of a single game with a competitive element that you have absolutely no complaints, not even the tiniest gripe or nitpick, about the current state of the metagame?

Nothing is perfect.

Very true. It doesn't even make sense; Link is never some heavyweight, sluggish monster in the games, he's always swift and agile, and usually with good reach.

your signature is incredible btw
"Swift" is stretching it a bit for Link. There's a reason he always has some form of locomotion around Hyrule. Fastest he ever goes is dashing with Pegasus Boots, but that's not here and neither is Samus's Speed Booster. Skyward Sword Link can sprint, but not with his gear out. Other than that, there's rolling which everyone in Smash can do. And in a medium where jumping twice your height is considered "average" jump height, Link only jumps as far as a normal person off ledges.

His frame data is slow because that's the price he pays for being able to sword-space AND projectile zone. It's just bad luck those traits make him vulnerable to the prominent brawlers.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Of course we're not content with balance, hardly anybody is with the balance of a game as a whole. Can you think of a single game with a competitive element that you have absolutely no complaints, not even the tiniest gripe or nitpick, about the current state of the metagame?

Nothing is perfect.
Exactly. Even Pokken Tournament saw its first patch all because of Shadow Mewtwo and Reshiram.

PND

Smash Champion
Real talk, I think people need to focus less on "Solo viability" and start picking up some viable secondaries that complement their main's matchup spread. Have a character that loses hard to Diddy and Sheik? Pick up Rosalina or Cloud to try and deal with them. (Just examples, might not be the best choice for those particular matchups.)

I think as this game evolves we're going to see more and more top players like ANTi, able to pick up pretty much whoever they want that will give them the advantage in that matchup.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Exactly. Even Pokken Tournament saw its first patch all because of Shadow Mewtwo and Reshiram.
Well actually Pokken's had periodic patches in arcades... Gengar for example has went from bottom tier to top tier to "mid tier" through patches. Admittedly they treated the arcade release like a beta but still.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Baby_Sneak said:
name more than two characters that absolutely need nerfs.
Rosa and Luma.

Next question.

I would not shed a tear seeing Mario and Fox hitboxes being adjusted 10% smaller either.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Rosa and Luma.

Next question.

I would not shed a tear seeing Mario and Fox hitboxes being adjusted 10% smaller either.
:4metaknight:

Wrong answer :p (but forreal, she defiantly doesn't need a nerf. She's isn't dominating the game. She could stand a nerd and so could the rest of the top tiers, but there's no way they absolutely need one).

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
yet at the same time you have sets like this . and especially in zeros case, it could have been a comfort pick rather than a counter pick, what i mean by that is, while sheiks mu vs lucario may be even, or potentially in her favour, its definitely an extremely stressful mu for her, so why the hassle when you can go diddy, who has reliable kill confirms? i mean zero also went diddy vs sheiks to avoid the ditto, yet he himself claims that, pre-patch at least, sheik vs diddy is in sheiks favour
zero was going Diddy vs Lucarios even prepatch, I remember him getting taken to game 5 (?) by Shiny

The matchup is stressful for any character without reliable kill confirms/killthrows

Xyrohip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Xyrohip
Ever since the dawn of Smash 4, I've struggled to find the answer in what I was actually playing for, or what I was really fighting for. It was a debate I used to have with Xyro during the Brawl days on finding out who I was and who I wanted to be in Smash; Do I want fame? Or do I want fortune?

How about neither?

Fame? No, for it does not last.

Fortune? I could care less.

This quote from Shaya. This post right here. That is my answer.

"What if?"

Imagine this kid from Chile. The type of kid who you would meet at your local tournaments who's always giving it his all every time he plays. You've never heard of this kid, and you couldn't give a damn. But you're watching him play, and you see him improving. Eventually he starts winning your tournaments. He looks at you and says, "I want to go out of the country and become the best player in the world by winning the biggest tournaments against the best players." You just laugh at him. But in the back of your mind, after seeing what he was capable of, you can't help but ask yourself, "What if it really happened?"

That kid has now created a legacy in Smash that can never be forgotten.

So imagine me, this kid from Texas. He's been winning at his locals since Smash 4 came out. He uses Robin, Shulk, Charizard, Mewtwo, Doc, and Mii Swordfighter. But he could never win any major tournaments in his home state, let alone get even remotely close to doing something notable at a national when he started traveling. Then he saw an opportunity when a new character was revealed. A fighting game character was converted into a non-fighting game. The amount of options this character possessed was like nothing he's ever seen before in Smash. No one wanted to play him at the time, but he knew later on down the line that he would be the one everyone feared to go up against. So he took it upon himself. He knew there would be heavy losses along the way when he was playing a character like this one, but they hit him harder than he thought they would. He went on a hiatus.

Since his return, he has yet to lose a tournament.

What if he stopped looking at the puzzle itself.......and started looking at each individual piece?

What if losing now did not change his future.......but only pushed it back farther?

What if those losses were only building him up.......to become stronger?

What if he were to win a tournament like.......CEO.......EVO.......SmashCon.......?

What if Ryu really was.......the best character in the game?

What if Ryu never got nerfed?

What if that kid who would win all those friendlies against the top players.......really was the best in the world?

What if he actually started APPLYING HIMSELF IN TOURNAMENTS?

What if.......Trela?

When I walk into a tournament now, I ask myself, "How will I lose today? Who will stop me?" Everyone's a threat and always will be, just as I wish to be onto them. Because I am capable of doing anything, just as they are. And when someone tells me that I can win this tournament or beat that player.......then it means I have already won.

I set out to be something in Smash. But now that I am something, it doesn't mean the journey has to end here. There's still more work to be done. Just know that this time, when I lose.......I'll come right back.
Tfw your tag is Xyro...

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I don't think we desperately need nerfs as of now. Still, I wouldn't mind if some top tiers will see minor adjustments to their more oppressive tools in the next patches.

I just think that the priority now is to buff the low tier characters that deserve some love because there are no insormountable gatekeepers (like pre-patch Sheik, Diddy or Bayo) anymore. The only thing keeping these fighters in check are their undertuned traits themselves.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Sheik doesnt lose any matchup on paper, but paper doesnt take into account unpredictability.

It's why I agree with Anti's statement that atlhough Sheik might not have any losing matchups, over the course of a tourney theres going to be one set where you cannot kill at all and you get back thrown or back aired and die to other characters with good killing options. Especially at top level.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
~ Gheb ~ said:
What's wrong with Fox' hitboxes?
All of his moves have very fast startup, smashes have intangibility - they shouldn't have as much disjoint as they do. Up-smash is frame 1 intangible. In fact his up and down smash are competitive with many characters' jabs.
Stuff like up-tilt hitting below the stage is absurd (Why?!?). D-air is similar to Mario's D-air and hits well away from the actual animation.
Up-air could also be less safe to just throw out. He might as well have a sword, and it makes no sense. It's frame 9 but it's extremely safe because of the disjoint. He needs to trade a bit more, win a bit less in exchanges.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
At mid level Sheik loses a ton of matchups which are probably the ones you guys are questioning.
She kinda gets pooped on by Ryu, Lucario, DK, Bowser, Rosa, etc at mid level. Really, any character that can threaten the mindset of a Sheik player by looming the "kill you at 50" risk over their head while not getting utterly dominated in the neutral beats Sheik at midlevel.
But at top level play a Sheik that knows the MU should not be losing any of these MUs consistently aside from maybe Ryu(can't run/needlecamp forever, unfortunately). The big difference is that top level Sheiks actually know how to kill opponents consistently around 100-130 while mid level Sheik players have the opponent live until 180 almost every stock.
hence the phrase "mid level sheik is dead"

|RK|

Smash Marketer
yet at the same time you have sets like this . and especially in zeros case, it could have been a comfort pick rather than a counter pick, what i mean by that is, while sheiks mu vs lucario may be even, or potentially in her favour, its definitely an extremely stressful mu for her, so why the hassle when you can go diddy, who has reliable kill confirms? i mean zero also went diddy vs sheiks to avoid the ditto, yet he himself claims that, pre-patch at least, sheik vs diddy is in sheiks favour
You have to note that this is Pre-patch Sheik, with 50/50 off grab and full-range needles/fair. Now take into account that Sheik has no option that closes stocks off as quickly, nor a means to harass Lucario from the same range.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I can't imagine the matchups being anything less than highly stressful for Sheik due to killing them at 180% and dying at 60%.
Sheik, in my opinion, is mostly being held up by the fact that there are still a good number of top players repping her. She also has had a year and a half of being considered the best character and being mained by the best Smash 4 player. This means that she has been immensely developed so people don't want to drop her just yet. If it weren't for the fact that she has been so good for so long and, therefore, has many top players to her name, she would likely barely be in the top 10. She has the hardest time killing in the game, she can be killed at Mewtwo level percents, her damage output has just gotten weaker and weaker over the course of patches, she no longer has her old super reliable kill confirms, and most important of all, she is almost completely outclassed by Diddy at this point.

I am sure that she will drop hard once top players bite the bullet and realize that, if they want to place well in the new meta, they will have to change their old ways. I would not be surprised if, Diddy, Cloud, Fox, Mario, ZSS, become the new top 5 meta and we see top players drop Sheik. I guarantee you that if Pikachu was played currently by all the top players that are playing Sheik right now, their roles would be swapped, with Sheik being the irrelevant, super hard to play but still viable semi-top 15 character and Pika being the potential top 5 character if played at top level.

The way I see it, neither of them really have bright futures and I think they are in the same boat. Super, super difficult characters to play for high, but moderate reward when compared to other high tiers. I have my doubts that Sheik will stay in top 5, much less control the meta for much longer.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
And then you realize the FAF on Fox's up and down smash are nearly a full second and he sucks offstage. U-air and U-smash ridiculousness are staples to the series, this is like asking Yoshi's rising dair to not do 33%.

@Jams. This is as much as I know, Kame pulls out Cloud against Sheik but he only does so when he feels his Megaman can't do anything in the MU, he's beaten Japanese top Sheiks with Megaman. An example is his WF's with Nietono where it went:
Nietono:4sheik: over Kame:4megaman:
Kame:4cloud2:over Nietono:4sheik:
Kame:4megaman: over Nietono:4diddy:
Kame:4megaman: over Nietono:4sheik:

And his GFs with Rain
Kame:4megaman: over Rain:4diddy:
Kame:4megaman: over Rain :4sheik:
Rain:4sheik: over Kame:4megaman:
Rain:4sheik: over Kame :4wario: (???)
Kame:4megaman: over Rain:4sheik:

If anything, he uses his secondaries as like a battle of counterpicks against the top Sheiks but he still pulls it out with Megaman. I think if he solo'd Megaman his results wouldn't differ as much and we'd still be talking about him.

As for Yoshi, he either pulls him out for fun or to throw of his opponent, I don't think there's an MU where he'd prefer Yoshi over MM/Cloud (except for against Shuton :4olimar: at KSB/which he lost)

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
All of his moves have very fast startup, smashes have intangibility - they shouldn't have as much disjoint as they do. Up-smash is frame 1 intangible. In fact his up and down smash are competitive with many characters' jabs.
Stuff like up-tilt hitting below the stage is absurd (Why?!?). D-air is similar to Mario's D-air and hits well away from the actual animation.
Up-air could also be less safe to just throw out. He might as well have a sword, and it makes no sense. It's frame 9 but it's extremely safe because of the disjoint. He needs to trade a bit more, win a bit less in exchanges.
Upsmash is frame1 intangibe to make it like most upsmashes since they're designed to beat dragon punches. Either range, intangibility, disjoint, invincibility, or just raw power... Upsmashes are supposed to beat dragon punches in this game when spaced/timed right. And that's mostly all fox's intangibility lets him accomplish.

Don't really disagree with anything, and yea uptilt + dash attack/dair/illusion gives him a monopoly on cross-ups.

Djent

Smash Champion
Sheik won't drop out of the top 5, come on man. :upsidedown: I don't think she's #1, she might not stay #2. And admittedly there is very little margin of error for her players. So it goes in a well-designed game, where the best characters are not also easy to play. I can't think of many other characters who don't face similar or greater predicaments.

EDIT: This is a response to Xandercosm Xandercosm , if that wasn't clear.

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
And then you realize the FAF on Fox's up and down smash are nearly a full second and he sucks offstage. U-air and U-smash ridiculousness are staples to the series, this is like asking Yoshi's rising dair to not do 33%.

@Jams. This is as much as I know, Kame pulls out Cloud against Sheik but he only does so when he feels his Megaman can't do anything in the MU, he's beaten Japanese top Sheiks with Megaman. An example is his WF's with Nietono where it went:
Kame:4cloud2:over Nietono:4sheik:
Kame:4megaman: over Nietono:4diddy:
Kame:4megaman: over Nietono:4sheik:

And his GFs with Rain
Kame:4megaman: over Rain:4diddy:
Kame:4megaman: over Rain :4sheik:
Rain:4sheik: over Kame:4megaman:
Rain:4sheik: over Kame :4wario: (???)
Kame:4megaman: over Rain:4sheik:

If anything, he uses his secondaries as like a battle of counterpicks against the top Sheiks but he still pulls it out with Megaman. I think if he solo'd Megaman his results wouldn't differ as much and we'd still be talking about him.

As for Yoshi, he either pulls him out for fun or to throw of his opponent, I don't think there's an MU where he'd prefer Yoshi over MM/Cloud (except for against Shuton :4olimar: at KSB/which he lost)
If someone manages to get Kame off of MM he could literally throw anything at them. He shows how good he is with multiple characters particularly when teaming with Daiki, where they use a whatever character they feel like x2 team. But Kame's MM is so clean that he rarely gets forced off it in singles.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
All this talk about Nerfing characters that barely feel dangerous makes me think that nobody wants to actually be threatened and nobody wants to be punished for making a character specific mistake.

The top tiers in this game aren't excruciatingly good as much as the lower tiers are just bad.

Note I'm not in the buff all characters to be top tier level because that'd make for some really broken character design.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Coincidentally, both that bracket and the one I sent started off with a No Contest. Lol.
Amyways, in regards to this one you sent, I understand the air dodge reads that cost Day both of his final stocks. If only Day used Up Air on the first match. After all, Town & City has the lowest ceiling for Lucario to do ASC JCUS effectively.

AxelVDP

Smash Apprentice
re: Sheik vs Lucario matchup

I think most people ignore some of Lucario's biggest problems: his neutral and his exploitable recovery
Lucario gets terribly out-buttoned in neutral (short range while in the air and slow and laggy on the ground) and has a really hard time closing in on Sheik (average-ish mobility specs and Aura Sphere Charge tricks as his only way of having some sort of ""burst"" mobility), and it's true that this wouldn't look so bad if we also considered the sheer difference in killing power bewteen the two...
but here comes the problem: Lucario's recovery is one of the most easily exploitable in the cast, it has lots of startup which means that it's highly susceptible to easy confirms like (fair or) needles -> bouncing fish (which does not kill at that late when offstage)
if Sheik does not manage to get those confirms she can just nair and stuff him out in his path (Lucario can move around a little bit when using extreme speeds, but he HAS to follow specific angles in order not to get extreme ammounts on landing lag -- and the "protective" hitbox comes out way to late and it's not really reliable), and again, a weak nair can also confirm into bouncing fish
also, she can even try to 2frame him (slow and reactable recovery makes this easier) with dtilt, which still sets up into 50/50 or even tippered usmashes with bad DI

and it's not like Sheik has any trouble at all to get Lucario offstage where he can easily be harassed

pre-patch the matchup was probably in Sheik favour by quite a bit (an opinion also shared by a lot of Lucario mains)
now it's probably on the evenish side, MAYBE slightly in Lucario favour, but if it is, it's not by much

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I've heard of Kamemushi switching off from his MM to his Cloud/Yoshi against Lucas, probably Taheita or however you spell that.

Last edited:

Caststarman

Smash Rookie
It's obvious that this thread is outdated, but what characters on the list do you think are still deserving of that spot? What character is theoretically in the most drastically different spot now?

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
re: Sheik vs Lucario matchup

I think most people ignore some of Lucario's biggest problems: his neutral and his exploitable recovery
Lucario gets terribly out-buttoned in neutral (short range while in the air and slow and laggy on the ground) and has a really hard time closing in on Sheik (average-ish mobility specs and Aura Sphere Charge tricks as his only way of having some sort of ""burst"" mobility), and it's true that this wouldn't look so bad if we also considered the sheer difference in killing power bewteen the two...
but here comes the problem: Lucario's recovery is one of the most easily exploitable in the cast, it has lots of startup which means that it's highly susceptible to easy confirms like (fair or) needles -> bouncing fish (which does not kill at that late when offstage)
if Sheik does not manage to get those confirms she can just nair and stuff him out in his path (Lucario can move around a little bit when using extreme speeds, but he HAS to follow specific angles in order not to get extreme ammounts on landing lag -- and the "protective" hitbox comes out way to late and it's not really reliable), and again, a weak nair can also confirm into bouncing fish
also, she can even try to 2frame him (slow and reactable recovery makes this easier) with dtilt, which still sets up into 50/50 or even tippered usmashes with bad DI

and it's not like Sheik has any trouble at all to get Lucario offstage where he can easily be harassed

pre-patch the matchup was probably in Sheik favour by quite a bit (an opinion also shared by a lot of Lucario mains)
now it's probably on the evenish side, MAYBE slightly in Lucario favour, but if it is, it's not by much
Not bad. Good stuff. Nowadays, it's probably on the evenish side. But you're right about an exploitable recovery, which could be worse if some character decides to turn him around while doing Extreme Speed. *Cough* *Cough* Mario.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
:eek:
You missed a lot and I know people have covered stuff, but I feel like going over it.

:4pacman:is a meme .
I know this is fairly late, but I wanted to find some way to shoehorn pacman into the discussion and this was a rather nice opportunity :yeahboi:

While not exactly "meme" status, Pac-Man has certainly vanished into thin air after Abadango and Koolaid dropped him. Hell, I dropped him too around that time because I thought he was hopeless. Half of his tools could be used against him, he couldn't kill reliably, and he had no way to really threaten shields.
(My previous fall out with the character for further context)
So I was in the lab today with pacman with the intention of looking for possible counterplay in his ledge traps. I've noticed that very few of his options are reliable...

Jab launched hydrants with a trampoline underneath are beaten by ledge drop -> jump + aerial. Any hitbox cancels out the hydrant hitbox. I previously thought that the hydrant would fall on them too fast for this to work, but the hydrant rolls slowly...and then you would have to time it just right so that the opponent's ledge vulnerability won't aid them.
Same thing for any fruit + trampoline ledge trap of the same variety. Aerial Melons, bells, and the like will lose to weak hitboxes. You could try to time your fruit toss just right so that the opponent jumps at the same time that the bell would hit them, but then the opponent can just opt to wait.
There is even trampoline launched hydrant -> fall onto the ledge -> ledge trump Bair, but the opponent can smack you with an aerial of choice on your way down before you trump them.

Where I'm going with this is that I may have overstated PacMan's ability to overcome the counterplay of his own tools. Previously, I thought that pacman could be a successful trap/pressure character, but I begin to doubt this more and more the more I look at his design. His counterplay cripples him.

He has no legitimate kill setups without a fruit, he has no reliable way to keep pressure on the opponent, he has no reliable way to keep opponents out...The more you know about his obvious flaws, the more he crumbles.

I see this in his custom movesets as well. PacMan's specials lie on a thin line between gimmicky ways to oppress characters, and reliable options to use liberally. This combination was supposed to make pacman balanced, but the developers went too far to keep him from being broken. His customs show this in the way they were designed.

Looking at his hydrants, he has the choice of dire hydrant or on-fire hydrant. Dire hydrant is the reliable choice that throws obvious counterplay out of the window. It makes his disadvantage state rediculous, while giving him an option to beat dash grab and sh approaches. On fire hydrant is the gimmick because while it's incredibly disruptive, pacman can die from it as well if he gets too close. There's also the fact that it can't be launched as high or far so it's easier to avoid.

Side B is the same. He has the extended version which gives him the better recovery, but gets rid of all KO potential. You can no longer kill out of hard reads or bell connection. The enticing pellet exaggerates the other half of the power pellet's strengths and makes it incredibly powerful with a suction attribute to add to its gimmicky schtick.

Up B follows suit with the meteor trampoline and power pac jump. One has a fast, meaty hitbox on the bottom and the ability to ground opponents when red but is a trash recovery move(gimmicks...), while the other is great recovery move and potent kill move in the air. Uair can help set it up, then when it connects it takes opponents to the top blast zone around percentages as low as 100%.

And lastly, the fruit. I personally think they messed up here. Freaky fruit are all gimmicky individually, and lack cohesion as a whole. They all have situational use and strange properties, but don't mesh with each other. What's worse is that very few of them can set up a reliable kill...
Lazy fruit are supposed to be the reliable pick here since they move slowly enough to act as mines and barriers. You get easier traps out of them too and the combos you get are amazing. This is the pressure that pacman needs right?

...However, what makes it so bad is the fact that they are all items. Yes, you can z drop them all to your hearts content, but half of them fly half way across the screen. Hot and ready for your opponent to either cancel out their hitboxes with aerials/jabs/evil glares, or just catch them and proceed to z drop all over us instead.

All of this leaves me less than optimistic about our friend, the Pac-Man. His design is flawed by hasty nerfs on the development team's end, and the loss of customs which would have given him the reliability that he needs. I've been far too optimistic about the character out of bias. I loved the character too much to admit it sooner.

Edit: I guess this is why I keep leaving and coming back to this character. Heh

Super edit: perhaps lazy fruit isn't as bad as I thought. You can prevent them from being caught easily by throwing them into the wall and catching them. They fall slow enough for you to retrieve easily. And only apple and melon are thrown far away from you. Every other fruit is excellent. Now if only they didn't lose to hitboxes...pacman has to be very close to them to punish the hitlag/endlag.
But recently, I thought that perhaps I was overstating his weaknesses. Attacks cancelling out items is nothing new, and is frankly, irrelevant if you know what you're doing. No one is going to constantly smack your projectiles out of the sky unless you're spamming them randomly or not following up on your hydrant launches. Many of Pacman's traps may have counterplay, but the counterplay changes each time. No opponent will be able to get out of every trap every time. We're fighting humans, not people. Even then, we still have dangerous set ups that work no matter what such as DA -> bell -> side B. Hell, we can even imitate kamemushi's metal blade jab lock kill setup with ANY fruit besides the orange and Galaxian. The character can thrive even with matchup experience. He still struggles with shields, but hydrant pressure (when you follow up on it and capitalize) and z drops in close range help mitigate this a tad. Killing is a bit of an issue, but if we focus on gimping or jab lock fruit kills, it won't hurt as much.

Also, the meta is very kind to pacman right now so he may have a chance to compete with the big boys if someone steps up to the plate.

If I take @Trifroze 's list of perceived top characters:
:4cloud::4fox::4diddy::4mario::4megaman::4mewtwo::rosalina::4ryu::4sheik::4sonic::4zss:

I see a light at the end of the tunnel for pacman. A nerfed Bayonetta, cloud, shiek, and ZSS are music to Pac-Man's ear holes (? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¿) because this means that he has very few characters left in his way.

Now for the controversy

Mega Man's spread according to theory and some results (correct me if I'm wrong Megamang Megamang )

Mega man beats::4diddy::4ryu::4sonic:
Mega man goes even with::4zss::4mewtwo::rosalina::4cloud:
Mega man loses to::4sheik::4fox::4mario:

Sounds like a future high tier to me.

Compare this to Pac-Man's spread:

Pac-Man beats: :4diddy::4megaman: :4ryu::4fox:
Pacman goes even with: :4sheik::4mewtwo::4mario::rosalina:
Pacman loses to: :4cloud::4sonic::4zss:

Interesting.....

So challenge me. If you think I'm crazy, I'll explain each matchup if asked and even link videos. Don't want to fill up this post with matchup analysis on each character.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I've heard of Kamemushi switching off from his MM to his Cloud/Yoshi against Lucas, probably Taheita or however you spell that.
I don't think they've ever faced each other in bracket, and what does Lucas have that MM struggles with?

Nu~ Nu~ I saw your other post, I can see Pacmans advantageous MUs except for Diddy, plz essplain b0ss

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
It's obvious that this thread is outdated, but what characters on the list do you think are still deserving of that spot? What character is theoretically in the most drastically different spot now?
What exactly do you mean? What spot?

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
While im optimistic about Cloud/Megaman, most people say Cloud wins. Its fairly volatile because they can both gimp eachother frighteningly well.

Mario is pretty tough, I have much more problems with Mario than Cloud/Fox/Mewtwo. I could see us beating m2 if the MU is learned, Uair is straight brutal on m2 and bair is also amazing against a large, light character. Additionally, the weight differential is pretty extreme. You can turn the game around fast if his huge hitbox gets him hit by a stray down-thrown metal blade -> utilt. Slow double jump is also annoying for escaping rising bair stuff. But, the reflector and Shadow Ball are really tough things to deal with when you are zoning.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
All of his moves have very fast startup,
Captain Falcon, Diddy, (Dr.) Mario, Falco, Little Mac, Luigi, Lucas (outside of his Smashes), Meta Knight, Ness, Pikachu, the Pits, Ryu, Samus, Sonic, Wii Fit Trainer (outside of her Smashes), Yoshi, and ZSS all have relatively fast startup on their moves. EVEN Ganondorf has (relatively) fast startup on his moves. Your point being?

Fox has been fast since day one of Smash. That's his shtick. He's pretty much the Ken of Smash who goes in to pressure you hard and if he really needs to, can at least challenge at range, but would rather be in your face using his fast movement and moves. Fox being any slower in any way would ruin what makes Fox himself.

smashes have intangibility - they shouldn't have as much disjoint as they do. Up-smash is frame 1 intangible.
Up Smash and Down Smash. Side Smash doesn't have I-frames and why Down Smash has I-frames is beyond me, but it's been like this since Melee and does it really matter? The I-frames are only on its 2 active frames; Down Smash has coverage, but not the raw power, range, or lower commitment of other Down Smashes. It has 46 recovery frames for a frame 6 attack. You want a stupid Down Smash? Luigi's. Frame 6, 4 total active frames split into 2 hits so it's 2(6)2 -- parentheses denoting a frame gap -- and only 23 recovery frames. 23 recovery frames is tilt range of recovery not Smash range of +30.

Up Smash? It should have I-frames since it's an anti-air and basically a Flash Kick. Why they gave it invincibility on the wrong part, his head, in Melee and removed it in Brawl is beyond me. Fox just manages to make it more of an offensive move through confirms rather than defensive like Falco does with his Somersault Shell Up Smash. I-frames on Up Smashes isn't an uncommon thing and if you don't have I-frames, you might have raw speed or disjoints like Diddy or Link's Up Smashes, respectively, or both like the Pits and Toon Link. Considering not all Up Specials are attacks, Utilts or Up Smashes have to be anti-airs. The fact they have "up" in their name hints to that. Smash 4 is just the first game that figured out maybe invincibility or transcendent priority on them might be a good thing to help with anti-airing so characters with slower Utilts or Up Smashes don't get royally screwed over. You want to complain about I-frames? Complain about Falco's. Here, it's been reported to only have I-frames from 7-11, but in Japan? sixriver reported it as 7-20. That's the entire goddamned attack. Oh, and remember the second hit lingers for 8 frames and can KO reasonably around ~125% without the first hit. Have fun. sixriver's page on Falco: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CsgOKWHVREdoDwnB43BFU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0.

Back to Fox, his Up Smash has the highest recovery out of all the flip kick Up Smashes at 45 frames. Everyone else clocks under that with Falco's clocking at 30 frames. He cannot and should not being throwing Up Smashes around like a moron. Players who fish with his Up Smash will die despite his speed. Really? Why are you even challenging Fox when he's running around like that? It's like running up to Guile knowing he's going to expect you to jump over his Sonic Booms and oops, invincible Flash Kick to the face. The fact Fox players only use Up Smash for KOs makes it seem stronger than it really is since they're not using it all willy-nilly. It's a powerful tool, but nothing close to the stupidity of other tools. Mario, Mewtwo, Palutena, Rosalina, and Yoshi's Up Smashes are stupider than Fox's because they're more abusive as they have much more range, have more active frames, and/or are much safer. Should we complain and nerf theirs? No.

In fact his up and down smash are competitive with many characters' jabs.
Yeah, frame 7 Up Smash with 45 recovery frames and frame 6 Down Smash with 46 recovery frames are totally more competitive with other jabs. Startup? Yes, and for only 14 characters: Bayonetta (9), Bowser (7), Ganondorf (7), Link (7), Lucario (6), Mega Man (7), Meta Knight (7), Mewtwo (6), Mii Swordfighter (6), Palutena (8), Rosalina (8), Toon Link (6), Triple D (10), and Zelda (11). That's not really "many" and they all have other moves to work with since since some of them aren't going to be using them up close like why would the Links want to combat anyone up-close when they can play mid-range and long-range? Utility and safety? No. 'Cause the way I look it, Ganondorf's frame 7, 21 recovery and Zelda's frame 11, 9 recovery jabs are much more flexible than Fox's Up and Down Smashes... Why are you even comparing jab with Smashes? I swear if people start comparing Ryu's Shoryuken to goddamned jabs. No **** it's going to be stronger, but Ryu's going to commit way harder to Shoryuken than say, Marth and Roy will when they jab.

Stuff like up-tilt hitting below the stage is absurd (Why?!?).
Meanwhile, Captain Falcon -- ever been hit below a platform by his Dair? -- Diddy, DK, (Dr.) Mario, Falco, Ike, Little Mac, Lucas, Mewtwo, Ness, Palutena, Rosalina, Ryu, Samus -- I am pretty damn sure her Dtilt can hit below --, Sheik -- Dair --, Wario, and sort of ZSS. Your point being? A lot of characters can hit below the stage to edgeguard and some do it in really stupid ways. (Dr.) Mario, Fox, and Wario just have high enough active frames during key edgeguards such as (Dr.) Mario's dash attack, Fox's Utilt, and Wario's dash attack. Helps that those moves are fast which brings in Diddy's Dtilt and Ryu's Down Smash. Now, Palutena... Her Up Smash covers the ledge and platforms if you're on Battlefield, Duck Hunt, Smashville, T&C, etc. It's slow, but it lasts 8 frames without the hitbox ever changing as in the case of Fox's Utilt. Similar case with Lucas and Mewtwo's Down Smash. Have fun.

D-air is similar to Mario's D-air and hits well away from the actual animation.
Smaller hitbox than Mario's Dair as it only hits where his legs are; probably waist down while Mario's is probably his entire body or waist up and further out since he's spinning with his arms out while Fox is spinning with his leg down. Then again, we're talking about a game where it's implied you should not be able to challenge below you ever considering most of the cast has slow and generic Dair spikes which doesn't help when some of them really have trouble with being juggled and it's a bit boring since if they manage to hit, it's either going to be a spike to the stage or a 361 degree late hit. You're not going to see something stupid like a Dair sending you straight up or at a shallow angle. Characters who do have good Dairs tend to have to really relatively fast ones like Cloud, Fox, Lucario, Luigi, Mario, Meta Knight, PAC-MAN?, Peach, and the Pits. In most cases, Dairs are extremely situational even if they're good like Pikachu, Yoshi, or Zelda's. Few manage to be good while being slow Dair spikes like Kirby's auto-cancelable and landing hit makes it more versatile or Rosalina's lingering disjointed Dair.

It's a linear hit. If Fox's Uair was like Captain Falcon's where it arcs, Cloud's where it has huge horizontal range, or even Palutena's where it has a large body hit, then sure it would be busted, but it's not. It's a small hitbox compared to those. That small hitbox gets rewarded by high damage and knockback which makes it one of the most unique Uairs in the game with only Yoshi coming to mind as another small hitbox, high damage and knockback Uair. The problems is that because nobody else has this move and most characters have more generic Uair juggles or in the case of Falco's, made generic, it looks really strong and the other problem is that some characters don't give a damn when they can easily get up to the blast zone and setup an Uair or better yet, an Up Special finisher to boot you in like Bayonetta, Meta Knight, and ZSS. If Captain Falcon had his 64 Falcon Dive setup, Corrin could setup her Dragon Ascent up top, Mario's Super Jump Punch KO'd earlier, Samus's ability to Uair juggle more consistently and Screw Attack KO'd earlier, and Roy could setup his Blazer up top like that, people would be really, really pissed as more characters get to ladder the hell out of them.

It's only disjointed because the first hit is with his tail assuming people are right... Even then, its a small disjoint since his tail is about his leg length; it has nothing on Ryu's which is intended to be disjointed considering the in-game tip and that Ryu's only hitting with his arm that goes up a little over his head unlike Fox doing a front flip to hit with his legs while he's under you. It's not really safe if you manage to get to his sides since it only hits up and if you get up high enough, he can't reach you since Fox's jump is only average. Why are people even bothering to try and land on-stage or predictably when they know how fast Fox is? That's what makes his Uair so strong: Fox's movement. He can chase you on the ground and he can mess with you with his empty movement. If he commits to it and misses, he's not going to be able to do much except maybe try to catch you with a double jump or better yet, fast fall back to the ground and chase you again. All of that gets countered by its hitbox. Is it a bit too strong? In (total) damage? Maybe since only Mega Man?, Mii Swordfighter, and Zelda's Uair do +16%. In knockback? Considering Fox's shtick is to KO vertically, maybe not, especially since his other aerials don't exactly KO well except for Bair which is a similar case for his Smashes as he only really has Up Smash as a KO move while Side and Down Smash are weaker, utility moves. Also, Ike, Ness, Palutena, Rosalina, Sheik, and Zelda have powerful Uairs too. Speaking of which, Ness's Uair would be more busted than Fox's considering its arcing hitbox. Should we complain about that? No, since it's not broken, it's not KO'ing at 30% or doing 24% and it's getting really, really annoying, but if any of you want to complain about Fox, keep it coming and I would refute all of them if I'd be bothered to. Emphasis on being bothered to.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People have been asking about how Megaman has improved so much and, like I said a few days ago, it has everything to do with the depth of the character's tech skill and strategic value and how top players have finally really been able to tap into it. For example, every single one of his specials is multi-functional. Allow me to elaborate:

Metal Blade: can be thrown in 8 directions, can be z-dropped, can be used for glide tossing, cancels out most projectiles, shield pressure, and movement manipulation.

Crash Bomb: can force approaches, shield pressure, edgeguard, stage spike, and be used to defend himself when going to the ledge.

Rush Coil: recovery, air stall, combo breaker, leaf shield set up, and early off the top kills.

Leaf Shield: anti follow up, combo disrupter, pseudo ledge trump, jab lock assist, momentum shifter, and pseudo shield.

Again, this is JUST his specials and there's even more when you throw in his aerials, jabs, and throw options.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I don't think they've ever faced each other in bracket, and what does Lucas have that MM struggles with?

Nu~ Nu~ I saw your other post, I can see Pacmans advantageous MUs except for Diddy, plz essplain b0ss
Pacman's gameplan shuts diddy's down pretty well. The combination of hydrant walls, fruit, and pacman being hard to grab after a banana toss (pacman bounces on the floor when a banana is thrown at him making the grab timing tricky) makes this matchup pretty tough for Diddy Kong. Pacman is never pressured into approaching diddy's Fair wall, and can hide behind hydrants and while he charges up the right fruit. Doesn't help that one dropped hydrant offstage spells death for diddy if he's using his Up B.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I remember Abadango doing well against pre-patch Diddy. Granted, he basically had to aim for time outs, but still.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but "optimal" Pac Man is a pressure-based character in some matchups, but a camper in others?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I remember Abadango doing well against pre-patch Diddy. Granted, he basically had to aim for time outs, but still.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but "optimal" Pac Man is a pressure-based character in some matchups, but a camper in others?
Sorta.
Unlike a typical zoner like mega man, he isn't trying to keep you out of his bubble the entire match. He doesn't have the constant stream of projectiles to wall people for that long unless your name is little Mac or ganon (plant trampoline and laugh).

Instead, he uses his hydrant, fruit, and trampoline to compress the opponent's bubble. Pac-Man wants to gain all the freedom/control in the matchup while limiting his opponent's options, freedom, and stage control.

Against someone like diddy, you aren't camping the entire match. You just keep him out until you have the right fruit to put the pressure on. You can't go in on diddy without a hydrant to cover your approach or a fruit in hand. It's a mix between stage control, pressure, and temporary walling.

It's why sonic is so annoying...you have little time to set up since sonic can run through hydrants (wtf development team) so you have to set up trampolines to limit his stage control as fast as possible. Every match I have with my training partner in this matchup lasts forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom