• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Ally's tweeted himself multiple times that banana-less Diddy vs Mario is 55:45 Diddy favour.
ZeRo adopted the banana-less style to combat Ally, but an issue is that he's started to not use it enough in other MUs.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Okay, as I promised, I'm going to talk about the Link vs Bayonetta Match-Up. You guys will definitely think that I'm crazy for stating how the MU goes, in my own opinion at least, but as I explain my reasoning, you'll at least understand where I'm coming from.

:4link:60:40:4bayonetta:

Okay, so I've meddled with the MU for a bit more than I did lately and I just find it as a 60:40 for various reasons.

I'm not going into the attributes, so I'll skip straight to CQC. Due to Link having mostly better frame data than Bayonetta, especially with Bayonetta's fastest ground attacks are as fast as Link's Jab, Link definitely has a chance to go into a CQC offense against Bayonetta, and it's truly the best chance that he has against any character, really. However, Bayonetta does have some advantages against Link that are obvious, including more reward on the attacks that she uses. That's why a CQC with Link, while useful, isn't always going to be necessary.

In terms of advantage and disadvantage, Link's advantage state against Bayonetta is actually pretty decent off-stage. He can shut down Bayonetta's recovery if she tries recovering from above, since he has Gale Boomerang, Bomb and Forward Air to punish Bayonetta's Afterburner Kick. And what I find very useful for Link is when Bayonetta hits the stage with Afterburner Kick. I feel as if people don't actually punish this enough, but trust me, when you hit the stage as Bayonetta, you should be getting punished more than Cloud does with his Up-B. I take advantage of that and I could use Forward Smash, Forward Tilt, Down Smash 1/2, Forward Aerial or Down Aerial. I have many attacks at my disposal to punish her hitting the wall of a stage.

As for vertical advantage, Bayonetta does indeed have the better advantage when it comes from attacking below Link. The DI that's required is definitely applicable there, and so is the SDI. But Bayonetta will definitely get a lot of hits in before Link could possibly escape, and there's still the slightest chance Bayonetta will kill Link. However, Bayonetta players, be warned. Don't be too damn cocky against Link. If you have at least 20% to 40% damage and Link gets under you, it's over if he pulls out an up aerial or up special. Don't go too high against him when you combo him, because once he's under, he's at the advantage.

As for disadvantage state, both Link and Bayonetta indefinitely have a similar amount of disadvantage against one another. Bayonetta definitely does have better disadvantage against Link, but it's not by a whole lot. The disadvantage she's definitely worse at is recovering above the stage, which I detailed before is something you should never do against Link. That doesn't mean Link has a better time than Bayonetta when recovering. He's just as susceptible to off-stage disadvantage as Bayonetta is, but he still has a lot of great options with his good recovery. While people believe Bayonetta's Down Smash and aerials do cover Link's attempts to get back on stage, Link still does have options with Bombs, has Recoil B-Reverse going for him and also has Clawshot to aid him. Down Smash is something you shouldn't be getting hit by if you're Link. All you've got to use is Link's Tether and Down Smash won't get you.

Now when Bayonetta recovers below stage, Link definitely has his own options, and the most effective ones are his Down Aerial and Bombs. Bombs force Bayonetta to recover more safely and closer to being under the stage, but that's not to say they won't always hit. But the one way to guarantee Bayonetta does indeed get punished for recovering under the stage is Down Aerial. If Bayonetta air dodges this, then she'll lose the stock. If Bayonetta is hit by this, she'll potentially get stage spiked. It doesn't always happen, but it's best to take the chance of sending her down. Another method of stage spiking is Neutral Aerial, albeit it's definitely not as safe as the others since you're going to need to be more up-close.

I've touched on it so many times before, but now let me just state it. Bayonetta hates Bombs. She absolutely should. These very awful projectile eating balls of fire can really, really screw Bayonetta up. Now Bayonetta would have an easier time against Toon Link's Bombs, but Link's Bombs are on a different level both off and on stage. You have Link's Boomerang being able to cover some options against Bayonetta, but Bombs can cover a lot more options against her, not just with impeding her recovery or giving Link a clean hit. No, it does more than that. Once Link releases a Bomb with Z-Drop and gets behind it, you're effectively cutting off one of Bayonetta's options in comboing Link, Heel Slide. Bombs will always beat Heel Slide and Link will get a good punish off of it.

But it's just not Heel Slide that can be covered. Many of the attacks that Bayonetta does can be covered by Bombs due to their surprising priority. And not only that, but if Link keeps a Bomb in his hand while Bayonetta performs a combo, he's essentially holding a combo breaker in his hand; now on the flipside, he can also have a suicide move in his hand, but he might also hit Bayonetta if lucky enough. Bombs are a go to projectile in this Match-Up and while they are used a lot, Bayonetta could just feel the pressure coming at her with these. These basically make Bayonetta players resort to other methods of trying to hit Link. Many work, some, not so much.

Witch Time is something that people seem to be very afraid of when it activates. And granted, it's scary to think that combos can come out of it. But really, what you're scared of is very miniscule in stature when you pressure and condition your opponent Bayonetta as Link. What's the only viable option Bayonetta has against Link's Down Throw > Up Tilt? It's not an aerial, it's not Bullet Climax, it's more than likely going to be an air dodge or a Witch Time. With an air dodge, Bayonetta will likely get a decent little cheeky punish, but it's not going to be some really scary punish. And yet she could also get Witch Time, which could lend itself into being a good punish. Now of course, she could also jump and try punishing with an aerial, but that's just all too predictable and punishable.

But here's the thing. Even at its strongest, I'm not scared of Witch Time in the slightest. This is because I know that it has the chance of coming out. Opponents would love to have Witch Time to punish Link. So I'll make sure to condition that reaction to them; now they'll figure it out, but of course, I can cover many more of their options. Heck, an attempted punish out of jump from a Bayonetta would likely mean getting grabbed and Up Tilted once again by Link.

Now of course, I'm not only talking about Witch Time after conditioning or using Down Throw as Link. I'm talking about in general. Yes, I've been hit by it, but when I make sure the opponent has used it 3 times, that's when I simply will go on the offensive instead of playing it cool, because I'll know then that it's going to be the best opportunity to strike Bayonetta. That's not just with Link, that's in general.

Okay, now while you don't necessarily have to agree with me, remember that this is an opinion. You can challenge it, you can refute it even, but at the end of the day, it's an opinion of mine, and I'm open to critique and challenging of this. This does come from my own experiences against various Bayonetta players, whether online, offline, friendlies or competitive matches.

But as for my final thoughts, Link is a deadly character against Bayonetta, not because he has better range and has projectiles that can cover Bayonetta, but Link definitely does have the better frame data and has a really good CQC against Bayonetta, as well as a great off-stage disadvantage in certain instances against Bayonetta. Link is a very strong character, but like all characters, he can be combo'd by Bayonetta very harshly and definitely does have some bad disadvantage states against her, but his overall options that can cover her own options can definitely be the game changer in this.

That's why I believe the MU is 60:40 for Link. He's a character who can cover the options she has that many other characters just cannot do, and he's one of those kinds of characters who basically forces Bayonetta players to try things they would not normally do because he covers the normal options.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It's happening again.

Are we back to early 2015.

To actually talk about the points.

Bayonetta's CQC is better than Link's. Yes, Bayo's jab is stupidly slow, it's frame 9, f-tilt is frame 12 but covers a good range and can be surprisingly safe on shield. Bayo however has a frame 7 d-tilt which when spaced out can be safe and start combos, other than that she has up-tilt which is frame 7 but isn't as safe on shield so it's more of a commitment. Link on the other hand has mostly jab, frame 7. It's not a terrible fight for Link, but Bayo having more options gives a plus to Bayonetta, and with Bayonetta a hit leads to more combos, due to having string starts from f-tilt, d-tilt and up-tilt.

Another thing, Link can't hit Bayo's shield because a lot of things that 'look safe' aren't safe to Bayo's frame 5 OoS WT punish. This makes hitting buttons scarier for Link than it is for Bayo, because Link's best OoS option is a frame 9 up-b and is super committal, while witch twist...isn't.

One thing you never brought up is how Link deals with Bayo's b-air and ABK down pokes on shield. Link's bad JS, air speed and frame data in general means that Link can't really punish things, esp the bounce back on ABK on shield. You need a very long-reaching aerial, and Link's frame 21 OoS F-Air won't be fast enough as ABK has ~20 frames of end lag.

You never really bring up Bayo's other options for edgeguarding, things like drop zone Witch Time, or drop zone N-Air. Both of these options will punish you for trying to tether, and will force you to recover high, which can then be D-smashed/d-aired or just n-aired over and over again. Link with his slow high FAF aerials outside of n-air will be hard pressed to stop Bayo when Bayo is just n-airing over and over again since it lingers for a long time, has a big hitbox and sends you at a very bad angle for bad recovery characters.

I can see where Link deals with Bayo's recovery, but I think Bayo will still win off-stage as Bayo has much safer options for dealing with Link's average at best recovery. Bayo on advantage is, well, Bayo. It's rather ridiculous. Link's slow movement means he'll be harder pressed to punish Bayo's mistakes compared to say ZSS.

tl;dr

There's no way Link beats Bayo 6-4 and I'm very surprised you ever said such a thing.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think the main issue with Pikachu is that a lot of people don't understand how to accurately weigh up different strengths and weaknesses in smash 4. Certain weaknesses can not sufficiently be made up for. Mobility is not an attribute that can make up for an inability to remove opponent's stocks - not in a competitive setting that is literally designed around removing opponent's stocks. In the same hand lacking resiliance against an opponent's attempts to remove you stocks can never be made up by, say, good approach options. Despite all the little factors that make smash such a complex game competitively the whole process of playing can still simply be described as "attempting to remove the opponent's stocks while trying to not lose one's own". All the other factors that we argue about here - frame data, mobility, hitboxes, et cetera - are just means to these ends one way or another.

In the specific case of Pikachu he blatantly fails at the "removing stocks" part. And while he may excell at not losing stocks on his part, in a game where you have characters like Sheik, Diddy or ZSS who are very good at both that means that you just cannot be good enough to be among the small group of characters that define the meta. Does that make Pikachu top 15 or top 20 or top 30? That's not even important. The fact that his inability to get KOs cannot be made up sufficiently in a game where characters like Fox or Mewtwo start to kill you around 90% makes it obvious that even by a generous definition of terms Pikachu cannot possibly rank among the truly good characters. I'd say he's over-average.

:059:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Witch Time doesn't scare me, why should it to you?
Because bravery can be confused with stupidity. A good Bayonetta knows damn well how to punish amazingly because of witch time, if your strategy is to get hit by WT 3 times, that's a ****ton of percentage you've received if you're still alive. Not to mention you're saying that going full aggro afterwards is good option. It isn't, as Bayo can decide to go full on defensive and end up WTing you again. "WORKS IN GENERAL" you say? What if you use a character that doesn't have the best framd data, making them MORE suspectible to WT? You're reminding me of a kid who went full aggro Mewtwo and then proceeded to cry about Ganondorf being OP because he kept punishing him. I can't stop being shocked at how you're telling people to charge in headfirst into one of the best characters in the game and that it's crucial to victory. I wanna know how you beat Cloud, do you roll back and forth when he' charging limit because it might scare the Cloud player?

Stiga

Smash Cadet
Ho, pre-patch ZSS had a matchup against Diddy that's as bad, possibly even worse, than M2's Diddy matchup is now. That did not prevent her from being an undisputed top 3 character. And if you're one of the increasing amount of people that question Diddy's place among the top 3 then it'd definitely make sense to just see it as not that big a deal.

Rosalina and Fox have enough results in top level play to confirm that Diddy does not lose these matchups.
Marth and Lucina are names you've pulled out of your *** ... there's nothing that suggests that Diddy loses.
Olimar is a maybe, there's still not really such a thing as anti-Olimar metagame so I still think it's up in the air.
Sheik I'd personally agree with but you'd have to argue against results that are, once again, even.

I don't think Diddy is the best either but if he beats M2, Bayonetta and ZSS while not losing to any of the other top tiers he's still a strong contender. Olimar and Mega Man are not characters you can just pick up as a secondary to deal with Diddy so I feel like the threat of these two characters is a bit overstated.

Your top 3 would be Bayonetta, Mewtwo and Mario [not necessarily in order], right?

See, that's where I'm not even semi-confident anymore. Having Sonic, who solo-won Umebura SAT in such a convincing fashion and who may not have any losing matchup at all [worth pointing out that both SM and San lost to a Sonic player at TBH6 so he now has two wins against the character he had the worst record against], at a mere 8th just seems not acceptable in any way to me. Mario has two major tournament wins with two different players and so does Rosalina. That means you somehow have to determine who is better. Even if you found an order for them you'd have to somehow fit in Fox who actually has the most consistent results - and why would you place a character that's never been lower than 5th on Das Koopa's rankings as low as 8th?

No matter in which way you order those 4 characters in particular, it just aways seems wrong to me.

Ho, pre-patch ZSS had a matchup against Diddy that's as bad, possibly even worse, than M2's Diddy matchup is now. That did not prevent her from being an undisputed top 3 character. And if you're one of the increasing amount of people that question Diddy's place among the top 3 then it'd definitely make sense to just see it as not that big a deal.

Rosalina and Fox have enough results in top level play to confirm that Diddy does not lose these matchups.
Marth and Lucina are names you've pulled out of your *** ... there's nothing that suggests that Diddy loses.
Olimar is a maybe, there's still not really such a thing as anti-Olimar metagame so I still think it's up in the air.
Sheik I'd personally agree with but you'd have to argue against results that are, once again, even.

I don't think Diddy is the best either but if he beats M2, Bayonetta and ZSS while not losing to any of the other top tiers he's still a strong contender. Olimar and Mega Man are not characters you can just pick up as a secondary to deal with Diddy so I feel like the threat of these two characters is a bit overstated.

Your top 3 would be Bayonetta, Mewtwo and Mario [not necessarily in order], right?

See, that's where I'm not even semi-confident anymore. Having Sonic, who solo-won Umebura SAT in such a convincing fashion and who may not have any losing matchup at all [worth pointing out that both SM and San lost to a Sonic player at TBH6 so he now has two wins against the character he had the worst record against], at a mere 8th just seems not acceptable in any way to me. Mario has two major tournament wins with two different players and so does Rosalina. That means you somehow have to determine who is better. Even if you found an order for them you'd have to somehow fit in Fox who actually has the most consistent results - and why would you place a character that's never been lower than 5th on Das Koopa's rankings as low as 8th?

No matter in which way you order those 4 characters in particular, it just aways seems wrong to me.

1. I said that Marth and Lucina MIGHT win the matchup. I think this because Mr. E beat ZeRo and Nairo almost beat ZeRo and ZeRo is still definitely the best player in the world. Marth and Lucina can out range Diddy's limbs. Marth and Lucina vs Diddy possibly even or to Diddy's favour too.

2. Fox can still beat Diddy. Larry Lurr beat ZeRo 3-0 at a tournament I'm pretty sure and he beat him a few other times as well.

3. Rosalina can easily edge guard Diddy. Dabuz is the only good Rosalina player at the moment (apart from Raquaza07) and Dabuz isn't nearly as good as ZeRo. Dabuz, while definitely Top 10, is nowhere near some other Top 10's skill.

4. Mega Man is becoming more and more of a threat. Maybe this time last year (2015), you could say that Mega Man was about mid/low mid tier, with the only good player being Scatt, who didn't really show up at many tournaments. However, with the arrival of Kamemushi, people are starting to realise how amazing Mega Man can be. I, personally think he is top 20, and ZeRo thinks he is 18th.

5. Sorry to ZeRo for saying your name and losses so many times. If you are reading this, your still my favourite Smash 4 player!

Stiga

Smash Cadet
Well, Marcina is debatable. People have been discussing the possibility of this matchup turning Even later (I think we had a few posts in this thread regarding that), but I doubt that it would ever somehow turn into an advantage. The very way Diddy exists just isn't gonna let them win this, at best they'll manage to survive this MU, I think.
I know it's debatable I didn't just say it because their my mains
I'm not trying to be rude!

D

Deleted member

1. I said that Marth and Lucina MIGHT win the matchup. I think this because Mr. E beat ZeRo and Nairo almost beat ZeRo and ZeRo is still definitely the best player in the world. Marth and Lucina can out range Diddy's limbs. Marth and Lucina vs Diddy possibly even or to Diddy's favour too.

2. Fox can still beat Diddy. Larry Lurr beat ZeRo 3-0 at a tournament I'm pretty sure and he beat him a few other times as well.

3. Rosalina can easily edge guard Diddy. Dabuz is the only good Rosalina player at the moment (apart from Raquaza07) and Dabuz isn't nearly as good as ZeRo. Dabuz, while definitely Top 10, is nowhere near some other Top 10's skill.

4. Mega Man is becoming more and more of a threat. Maybe this time last year (2015), you could say that Mega Man was about mid/low mid tier, with the only good player being Scatt, who didn't really show up at many tournaments. However, with the arrival of Kamemushi, people are starting to realise how amazing Mega Man can be. I, personally think he is top 20, and ZeRo thinks he is 18th.

5. Sorry to ZeRo for saying your name and losses so many times. If you are reading this, your still my favourite Smash 4 player!
"Dabuz is the only good Rosalina player at the moment"

So, falln and Kirihara suddenly don't exist?

Just because E beat ZeRo on one occasion doesn't mean that Marthcina beats Diddy. I don't think they lose particularly hard to Diddy but it's surely not one where they're at an advantage.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Okay, as I promised, I'm going to talk about the Link vs Bayonetta Match-Up. You guys will definitely think that I'm crazy for stating how the MU goes, in my own opinion at least, but as I explain my reasoning, you'll at least understand where I'm coming from.

:4link:60:40:4bayonetta:

Okay, so I've meddled with the MU for a bit more than I did lately and I just find it as a 60:40 for various reasons.

I'm not going into the attributes, so I'll skip straight to CQC. Due to Link having mostly better frame data than Bayonetta, especially with Bayonetta's fastest ground attacks are as fast as Link's Jab, Link definitely has a chance to go into a CQC offense against Bayonetta, and it's truly the best chance that he has against any character, really. However, Bayonetta does have some advantages against Link that are obvious, including more reward on the attacks that she uses. That's why a CQC with Link, while useful, isn't always going to be necessary.

In terms of advantage and disadvantage, Link's advantage state against Bayonetta is actually pretty decent off-stage. He can shut down Bayonetta's recovery if she tries recovering from above, since he has Gale Boomerang, Bomb and Forward Air to punish Bayonetta's Afterburner Kick. And what I find very useful for Link is when Bayonetta hits the stage with Afterburner Kick. I feel as if people don't actually punish this enough, but trust me, when you hit the stage as Bayonetta, you should be getting punished more than Cloud does with his Up-B. I take advantage of that and I could use Forward Smash, Forward Tilt, Down Smash 1/2, Forward Aerial or Down Aerial. I have many attacks at my disposal to punish her hitting the wall of a stage.

As for vertical advantage, Bayonetta does indeed have the better advantage when it comes from attacking below Link. The DI that's required is definitely applicable there, and so is the SDI. But Bayonetta will definitely get a lot of hits in before Link could possibly escape, and there's still the slightest chance Bayonetta will kill Link. However, Bayonetta players, be warned. Don't be too damn cocky against Link. If you have at least 20% to 40% damage and Link gets under you, it's over if he pulls out an up aerial or up special. Don't go too high against him when you combo him, because once he's under, he's at the advantage.

As for disadvantage state, both Link and Bayonetta indefinitely have a similar amount of disadvantage against one another. Bayonetta definitely does have better disadvantage against Link, but it's not by a whole lot. The disadvantage she's definitely worse at is recovering above the stage, which I detailed before is something you should never do against Link. That doesn't mean Link has a better time than Bayonetta when recovering. He's just as susceptible to off-stage disadvantage as Bayonetta is, but he still has a lot of great options with his good recovery. While people believe Bayonetta's Down Smash and aerials do cover Link's attempts to get back on stage, Link still does have options with Bombs, has Recoil B-Reverse going for him and also has Clawshot to aid him. Down Smash is something you shouldn't be getting hit by if you're Link. All you've got to use is Link's Tether and Down Smash won't get you.

Now when Bayonetta recovers below stage, Link definitely has his own options, and the most effective ones are his Down Aerial and Bombs. Bombs force Bayonetta to recover more safely and closer to being under the stage, but that's not to say they won't always hit. But the one way to guarantee Bayonetta does indeed get punished for recovering under the stage is Down Aerial. If Bayonetta air dodges this, then she'll lose the stock. If Bayonetta is hit by this, she'll potentially get stage spiked. It doesn't always happen, but it's best to take the chance of sending her down. Another method of stage spiking is Neutral Aerial, albeit it's definitely not as safe as the others since you're going to need to be more up-close.

I've touched on it so many times before, but now let me just state it. Bayonetta hates Bombs. She absolutely should. These very awful projectile eating balls of fire can really, really screw Bayonetta up. Now Bayonetta would have an easier time against Toon Link's Bombs, but Link's Bombs are on a different level both off and on stage. You have Link's Boomerang being able to cover some options against Bayonetta, but Bombs can cover a lot more options against her, not just with impeding her recovery or giving Link a clean hit. No, it does more than that. Once Link releases a Bomb with Z-Drop and gets behind it, you're effectively cutting off one of Bayonetta's options in comboing Link, Heel Slide. Bombs will always beat Heel Slide and Link will get a good punish off of it.

But it's just not Heel Slide that can be covered. Many of the attacks that Bayonetta does can be covered by Bombs due to their surprising priority. And not only that, but if Link keeps a Bomb in his hand while Bayonetta performs a combo, he's essentially holding a combo breaker in his hand; now on the flipside, he can also have a suicide move in his hand, but he might also hit Bayonetta if lucky enough. Bombs are a go to projectile in this Match-Up and while they are used a lot, Bayonetta could just feel the pressure coming at her with these. These basically make Bayonetta players resort to other methods of trying to hit Link. Many work, some, not so much.

Witch Time is something that people seem to be very afraid of when it activates. And granted, it's scary to think that combos can come out of it. But really, what you're scared of is very miniscule in stature when you pressure and condition your opponent Bayonetta as Link. What's the only viable option Bayonetta has against Link's Down Throw > Up Tilt? It's not an aerial, it's not Bullet Climax, it's more than likely going to be an air dodge or a Witch Time. With an air dodge, Bayonetta will likely get a decent little cheeky punish, but it's not going to be some really scary punish. And yet she could also get Witch Time, which could lend itself into being a good punish. Now of course, she could also jump and try punishing with an aerial, but that's just all too predictable and punishable.

But here's the thing. Even at its strongest, I'm not scared of Witch Time in the slightest. This is because I know that it has the chance of coming out. Opponents would love to have Witch Time to punish Link. So I'll make sure to condition that reaction to them; now they'll figure it out, but of course, I can cover many more of their options. Heck, an attempted punish out of jump from a Bayonetta would likely mean getting grabbed and Up Tilted once again by Link.

Now of course, I'm not only talking about Witch Time after conditioning or using Down Throw as Link. I'm talking about in general. Yes, I've been hit by it, but when I make sure the opponent has used it 3 times, that's when I simply will go on the offensive instead of playing it cool, because I'll know then that it's going to be the best opportunity to strike Bayonetta. That's not just with Link, that's in general.

Okay, now while you don't necessarily have to agree with me, remember that this is an opinion. You can challenge it, you can refute it even, but at the end of the day, it's an opinion of mine, and I'm open to critique and challenging of this. This does come from my own experiences against various Bayonetta players, whether online, offline, friendlies or competitive matches.

But as for my final thoughts, Link is a deadly character against Bayonetta, not because he has better range and has projectiles that can cover Bayonetta, but Link definitely does have the better frame data and has a really good CQC against Bayonetta, as well as a great off-stage disadvantage in certain instances against Bayonetta. Link is a very strong character, but like all characters, he can be combo'd by Bayonetta very harshly and definitely does have some bad disadvantage states against her, but his overall options that can cover her own options can definitely be the game changer in this.

That's why I believe the MU is 60:40 for Link. He's a character who can cover the options she has that many other characters just cannot do, and he's one of those kinds of characters who basically forces Bayonetta players to try things they would not normally do because he covers the normal options.
Oh please. Next you're gonna tell me Link goes even with Sheik or something redic- oh wait.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Banana-less diddy, spindash-less sonic, what's next needless sheik?

I remember Zage noting fruitless pac made the mario MU better too.

Stiga

Smash Cadet
Diddy's recovery is exploitable but it has mixups. Marth and Lucina don't beat Diddy. Diddy can make them struggle with Peanut+Banana camp, exploting their bad landing options with banana and get free grabs, each Diddy grab is eating a lot of damage because Marcina are very tall and that is perfect for Fair/Bair combos, and being in the edge against Diddy is lethal. But where Marcina is good is at edgeguarding Diddy, and due to eating a lot of damage, Marcina gets a lot of rage, and Marcina LOVES rage to pull out jank like rage Foward Smash, rage aerial edgeguards (not coming back) or Up Throw when the percents get ridiculous, which is plausible because like mentioned above Diddy isn't stellar at killing, and playing safe2win won't get you Up Tilted anytime soon, but playing safe against Diddy is easier said than done.
I said they MIGHT lose the matchup because Marth and Lucina disjointed hit boxes which can also outrange Diddy's limbs. However I do agree with what you say about edgeguarding :)

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster

That's almost every top Sheik nowadays, unfortunately
At least they're starting to bring the needles out.

Speaking of such.....needle-less Sheik is broken in a lot of MUs. In my experience, they generally hurt you more than they help against a decent amount of characters. Namely :4dedede::4charizard::4link::4robinm::4zelda:.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I'm suprised Void is ranked so low @Das Koopa.

17th at 2ggt mexico, 9th at ceo/aba saga but top 8 everywhere else (G3,SSC, Bighouse, Evo, Pound and the other 2ggts) without exception since the turn of the year is a mighty achievement.

In fact i'll briefly list the players with the most appearances at the Supermajors G3, Pound, CEO, Evo, SSC and Bighouse.
6: None
5: Void Dabuz
4: Abadango Mr.R Larry Lurr
3: Ally Zero Nairo Marss
2: Anti Ranai
1: Komorikiri Kamemushi Scatt Fatality Zinoto False Hyuga Tweek Pink Fresh

(Obviously not a 100% accurate indicator of ranking because of non-showings, other similarly stacked tournaments but not considered a supermajor but gives an idea of how they performed on the biggest stage)

The only other negative that he has a blank record vs Nairo/Dabuz/Zero and the fact he hasnt won many tournaments.

Regarding Needle-less Sheik, Needles are moderately overrated in general and often vying for stage control is a better option than needles. However its a powerful option that sheik has

Last edited:

Stiga

Smash Cadet
←/feel., post: 21486495, member: 221600"]"Dabuz is the only good Rosalina player at the moment"

So, falln and Kirihara suddenly don't exist?

Just because E beat ZeRo on one occasion doesn't mean that Marthcina beats Diddy. I don't think they lose particularly hard to Diddy but it's surely not one where they're at an advantage.

Falln and Kirihara aren't very good Rosalina players. I've never even really seen them at any very high level ranks. The only good wins falln has is Nakat and Void.

Also, can people stop killing me about Marth and Lucina? I have said SO many times that it is debatable over the Marthcina MU against Diddy. Having a win over ZeRo is a huge achievement in itself. I only think that they win or go even with Diddy because of edgeguarding more range and disjointed hit boxes.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
When I hear needle-less I think "Sheik that holds the charge until it can kill" while never using it in neutral.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Needles atm take too long to charge and do too little damage to really be worth using early stock- against other charging projectile characters you're giving them space to charge their high damage moves when you could instead be shutting down their space.

At high percents though Needles are great because of the forced pop-up that they cause, often forcing a quick decision on the behalf of the opposing player. Needles become incredible at this stage of the game.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
They're good against most characters even factoring in their own projectiles because they still outrange most everything while letting you interrupt other character's charges on reaction.
Add on the beauty of them being a chargeable projectile that can be cancelled with shield or no shield immediately.
Hell, if a full clip only did 3% I'm sure needles would still be one of the best projectiles in the game. Think of them like Falco/Fox lasers in Melee. The damage of needles don't really matter at all. Nor do they have to hit.
It's the power as a space stealing, conditioning/information gaining, combo, and interruption tool that makes needles so strong. Not the damage they do.

Last edited:

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416

Spindash-less Sonic is actually more effective than spindash heavy Sonic in some MUs, believe it or not.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
However, I can't count his losses with Dire and II against him too much. II was easily his worst ever loss, and he won the same tournament he lost to Dire in.
My thought process was kinda like this:

Dabuz's worst loss ever in an actual tournament was Zinoto.
Nairo only failed to make top 8 in 4 out of the 25 tournaments he attended this year.
The majority of his placings were 1st, with a handful of them being top 8.
Dabuz only failed to make top 8 once this entire year: At pound. In that tournament, Nairo came 49th, the lowest placing at a major tournament out of the top 10 ever (Tied with Ally's 49th at CEO). As I already mentioned, the only supermajor in 1.1.6 this year Nairo did notably well at was SSC (And now TBH6), but SSC was the tournament where all his personal demons, as well as every decent diddy player, were knocked to losers and eliminated before he could face them, giving him an extremely easy bracket. Once again, Nairo's major flaw is that he's a one-trick pony: He's going to grab you and try and take you off the top, something that players are adapting to more and more as time goes on, and because Nairo hasn't really showed any attempt to change his playstyle, he's becoming and will continue to become weaker as time goes on, as shown by people like Komorikiri going from a negative record against him to a positive one in a relatively short time.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Diddy's banana and Sonic's spindash are very different tools. Sonic is always going to use spindash in every matchup because of how much respect it demands at all times and because of how universally good of an option it is. Diddy Kong does not have the same gameplan when it comes to using the banana. Diddy is actually two different characters.

One of them is a long-ranged rushdown character with good poking tools and an offense-based neutral. This character can abuse his mobility, frame data, and good dash grab to overwhelm his opponent, but can also play a patient mid-range game by effectively spacing his long ranged pokes. This character is good enough to hold his own in most matchups, but he has another gameplan at his disposal should he need it.

Banana Diddy is a somewhat more defensive character with a neutral focused on waiting for openings and punishing them hard. Everyone likes to talk about the banana as if it's some tool that Diddy uses on top of every other stupid thing he has in his disposal, but it's not. The fact is that, even besides having to pluck it, Diddy's options with a banana are all drastically different. He can't run in and hit things. He can't anti-air the same way. He can't beat shield the same way. His air-air game becomes nonexistent, and certain things that were once an integral part of his gameplan are gone. He's now given a ridiculously good two-use item with some drawbacks but incredible safety and reward. Rushing in with it isn't ideal because it loses to roll, dash attacks, properly timed aerials and air dodges, and Diddy does not want to give his opponent an opportunity to use it. He has to use it out of shield to punish even the most immaculately misspaced aerials or brief windows of lag to punish the opponent.

It's often talked about that Diddy loses to long range zoning, but the latter gameplan certainly loses more. Against projectile zoners like Toon Link, Olimar and especially Megaman, I almost never use the banana unless the opponent is playing unnecessarily aggressive or I have such a lead that they have no choice but to engage with me at close range. The very nature of the banana is punishing opponents who get into your zone and mess something up. If a character doesn't have to actually do that...then your approaches with the banana get predictable and you get walled out with projectiles, air camped, etc. This is the quintessential banana counterplay.

Tl;dr, if you need to break zones or get in and do damage, use vanilla Diddy. His frame data, range and grab let him play offense very well. If you need to punish someone who somehow beats you at the boxing game or plays aggression better than Diddy does, use the banana.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
It's happening again.

Are we back to early 2015.

To actually talk about the points.

Bayonetta's CQC is better than Link's. Yes, Bayo's jab is stupidly slow, it's frame 9, f-tilt is frame 12 but covers a good range and can be surprisingly safe on shield. Bayo however has a frame 7 d-tilt which when spaced out can be safe and start combos, other than that she has up-tilt which is frame 7 but isn't as safe on shield so it's more of a commitment. Link on the other hand has mostly jab, frame 7. It's not a terrible fight for Link, but Bayo having more options gives a plus to Bayonetta, and with Bayonetta a hit leads to more combos, due to having string starts from f-tilt, d-tilt and up-tilt.

Another thing, Link can't hit Bayo's shield because a lot of things that 'look safe' aren't safe to Bayo's frame 5 OoS WT punish. This makes hitting buttons scarier for Link than it is for Bayo, because Link's best OoS option is a frame 9 up-b and is super committal, while witch twist...isn't.

One thing you never brought up is how Link deals with Bayo's b-air and ABK down pokes on shield. Link's bad JS, air speed and frame data in general means that Link can't really punish things, esp the bounce back on ABK on shield. You need a very long-reaching aerial, and Link's frame 21 OoS F-Air won't be fast enough as ABK has ~20 frames of end lag.

You never really bring up Bayo's other options for edgeguarding, things like drop zone Witch Time, or drop zone N-Air. Both of these options will punish you for trying to tether, and will force you to recover high, which can then be D-smashed/d-aired or just n-aired over and over again. Link with his slow high FAF aerials outside of n-air will be hard pressed to stop Bayo when Bayo is just n-airing over and over again since it lingers for a long time, has a big hitbox and sends you at a very bad angle for bad recovery characters.

I can see where Link deals with Bayo's recovery, but I think Bayo will still win off-stage as Bayo has much safer options for dealing with Link's average at best recovery. Bayo on advantage is, well, Bayo. It's rather ridiculous. Link's slow movement means he'll be harder pressed to punish Bayo's mistakes compared to say ZSS.

tl;dr

There's no way Link beats Bayo 6-4 and I'm very surprised you ever said such a thing.
Okay, I can understand that you're surprised about this, but again, I am going to stand strong on my thought that the MU is 6-4 Link's advantage, and I'm going to address your points, though at the time, I should have made my points on some of these:

1) I can understand that some of these things can be turned around, and yes, Bayonetta does have a really great CQC that can cause her to have a great advantage state. Her Frame 7 D-Tilt is a really great option when spaced, which I agree, it's good for hitting my Link off guard. But while you do say Bayonetta has more options, she has a lot more options up close, a sort of "in your face" one. I can conversely say that Link has it better at middle range or near the tip of his attacks, as he does have attacks that can have their set of distance. Jab and Down Smash come to mind, but Down Tilt is also a safe option at middle range CQC. Both Link and Bayonetta have their fair share of good CQC, but they have their own different high points. When Link's at a longer range than Bayonetta, he comes off as harder to punish the longer he's away during it.

2) I do agree, Link does have a lot of unsafe things about his attacks that Bayonetta can take advantage of. Link definitely has a punishable OoS that, especially considering it can activate a counter, is super situational. However, in terms of countering Witch Twist, I'd probably attempt using a legitimately safe Down Tilt due to its low recovery time needed and the range you have with it.

3a) I should have brought this up, too. For Bayonetta's B-Air, I would at least attempt to punish it with a fast enough tilt, smash or even Link's Jab or Bombs (given I can have Bombs). If I can be honest, I'd try spot-dodging Back Aerial to punish it.

3b) As for Afterburner Kick, bouncing from a shielded Link is definitely powerful and using F-Air is a bad option OoS. I do wish Link did have a better JS, though there still are options Link can have that don't just have to be aerials. I advocate that Bombs could be a good method, or a Recoil Special Boomerang (make Link go backwards when throwing the Gale Boomerang). That way you can either gain distance or punish in a better method.

4) Drop Zone Witch Time is something I've never seen my opponents really do, but I've definitely been punished more times than not with the latter, Drop Zone N-Air. It's definitely a challenge for me to go against, so I'd attempt to get behind it so that way I can be hit towards the stage. Of course, that's also risky since I'm susceptible to stage spikes. But let me ask, how the heck can Witch Time punish me for trying to tether? Aren't tether grabs that latch to the ledge hitbox-less? So wouldn't Witch Time be kind of redundant? Or even punishable?

5) I agree, Link definitely would find it harder to punish Bayonetta's mistakes, but when Bayonetta makes a big mistake (preemptive Smash, Witch Time or laggy attack), Link can take sole advantage of that and has moves that will punish her heavily. It's more of a patience game than just ZSS's moveset.

And Bayonetta does have things like the F-Air string and some very insane and fast combos. I've seen these on videos and I've experienced combos first hand, but still, I think due to Link's ability to shut down some things she has can make the MU much more easy. My replies might not be strong, they might even be weak, but that's okay, I'm just here to learn right?

TL;DR
We can debate this until we both come into a sort of harmonic place together.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Because bravery can be confused with stupidity. A good Bayonetta knows damn well how to punish amazingly because of witch time, if your strategy is to get hit by WT 3 times, that's a ****ton of percentage you've received if you're still alive. Not to mention you're saying that going full aggro afterwards is good option. It isn't, as Bayo can decide to go full on defensive and end up WTing you again. "WORKS IN GENERAL" you say? What if you use a character that doesn't have the best framd data, making them MORE suspectible to WT? You're reminding me of a kid who went full aggro Mewtwo and then proceeded to cry about Ganondorf being OP because he kept punishing him. I can't stop being shocked at how you're telling people to charge in headfirst into one of the best characters in the game and that it's crucial to victory. I wanna know how you beat Cloud, do you roll back and forth when he' charging limit because it might scare the Cloud player?
To be fair, getting *hit* by Witch Time on purpose is crazy. Baiting it, on the other hand, makes it way less scary subsequent times.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
They're good against most characters even factoring in their own projectiles because they still outrange most everything while letting you interrupt other character's charges on reaction.
Add on the beauty of them being a chargeable projectile that can be cancelled with shield or no shield immediately.
Hell, if a full clip only did 3% I'm sure needles would still be one of the best projectiles in the game. Think of them like Falco/Fox lasers in Melee. The damage of needles don't really matter at all. Nor do they have to hit.
It's the power as a space stealing, conditioning/information gaining, combo, and interruption tool that makes needles so strong. Not the damage they do.
At low percents their use as an interruption tool is markedly decreased, at the spacing where they can't be punished you've added further pressure onto your opponent but not enough that opponents won't still end up closing space on you. I shouldn't have added in the discussion about damage because it wasn't relevant to the point I was aiming to make- at low percents it just not enough of an interruption to really stop players, at least in my experience, though you have a good point about conditioning.

Part of the strength of Fox/Falco lasers in Melee is that you can control spacing at both grounded and short hop height, whereas Needles are a lot more limited in that regard. Lasers also did a ton of damage.

Either way, my point was more that Needles scaled from relatively good to exceptional as the damage begins to pile up.

Goombo

Smash Apprentice
To bring back everyones favorite discussion in this thread, here we see Abadango sucessfully doublejump airdodging out of Sheiks upthrow:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Bayonetta hates Bombs. She absolutely should.
Bayo hates bombs? Any item user is at risk of having their competent opponent regrab it and throw it back, for starters.

Bombs are actually fairly easy to witch time. Same goes with Diddy banana and ROBs gyro. I actually think Bombs are a reason Bayo WINS the match up
1. I said that Marth and Lucina MIGHT win the matchup.
I think Marcina wins. Just by a little

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
My thought process was kinda like this:

Dabuz's worst loss ever in an actual tournament was Zinoto.

Dabuz only failed to make top 8 once this entire year: At pound. In that tournament, Nairo came 49th, the lowest placing at a major tournament out of the top 10 ever (Tied with Ally's 49th at CEO). As I already mentioned, the only supermajor in 1.1.6 this year Nairo did notably well at was SSC (And now TBH6), but SSC was the tournament where all his personal demons, as well as every decent diddy player, were knocked to losers and eliminated before he could face them, giving him an extremely easy bracket. Once again, Nairo's major flaw is that he's a one-trick pony: He's going to grab you and try and take you off the top, something that players are adapting to more and more as time goes on, and because Nairo hasn't really showed any attempt to change his playstyle, he's becoming and will continue to become weaker as time goes on, as shown by people like Komorikiri going from a negative record against him to a positive one in a relatively short time.
The reason Nairo isn't changing up his playstyle is because his results are bonkers and better than just about everyone else's, just like he's better at the game than just about everyone.

Nairo is ridiculous lol. It's easy to tell why he's a top player who can beat any other top player and who has like... The second or third best results of any player in this game's two year lifespan.

TDK TDK you seem to be saying that Nairo crutches off of abusing ZSS's options, when he really abuses the fact that he's absurdly good at Smash. Saying that he's a one trick pony is crazy. Nairo is one of the most adaptive players and plays very optimally. Saying he gets his results off of up air x2 up b and floating through ez brackets when he is and has been beating the best players in the world for years is crazy.

I also don't see why this Nairo falling off thing is a conversation after he top eighted a major yesterday, even if it's perhaps not up to his standard as a top five player who normally gets top 1-4.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
That's true, but Larry isn't saying 'bait it' but 'get hit by it'
No I'm not. That's what you're thinking.

To be fair, getting *hit* by Witch Time on purpose is crazy. Baiting it, on the other hand, makes it way less scary subsequent times.
What I'm meaning is that I'm not wanting to get hit by Witch Time. The only times I'd want Witch Time to activate is when a projectile comes towards Bayonetta and I'm too far for her to activate it on me.

Otherwise, I'd just let them use Witch Time and whiff it, which means very free punish with another grab.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
rofl @ Shu going all Sonic.

Nietono finally bringing back Sheik is interesting though. Sheik / Diddy dual main is so incredibly powerful yet virtually non-existent at top level at this point.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Bayo hates bombs? Any item user is at risk of having their competent opponent regrab it and throw it back, for starters.

Bombs are actually fairly easy to witch time. Same goes with Diddy banana and ROBs gyro. I actually think Bombs are a reason Bayo WINS the match up
Bombs do one solid thing for Link: they blow up. While that sounds dumb, when Link's holding a bomb you have 6 seconds at absolute most to ladder Link off the top (assuming he pulls out a bomb and then the Bayo instantly starts the ladder), and if the bomb blows up at the top, Bayo is actually liable to die for trying her ladder. They don't win Link the matchup (I personally think it's -1 though I only go as negative as -2 for any character I do a matchup chart except for very specific circumstances like Little Mac vs PAC-MAN, Little Mac vs Peach, Ganon vs Sheik/Rosa/ZSS/Bayo), but they do force Bayo to respect the bomb while Link's holding it.

The reason Nairo isn't changing up his playstyle is because his results are bonkers and better than just about everyone else's, just like he's better at the game than just about everyone.

Nairo is ridiculous lol. It's easy to tell why he's a top player who can beat any other top player and who has like... The second or third best results of any player in this game's two year lifespan.

TDK TDK you seem to be saying that Nairo crutches off of abusing ZSS's options, when he really abuses the fact that he's absurdly good at Smash. Saying that he's a one trick pony is crazy. Nairo is one of the most adaptive players and plays very optimally. Saying he gets his results off of up air x2 up b and floating through ez brackets when he is and has been beating the best players in the world for years is crazy.

I also don't see why this Nairo falling off thing is a conversation after he top eighted a major yesterday, even if it's perhaps not up to his standard as a top five player who normally gets top 1-4.
Oh, I think Nairo is phenomenal. I really do. I just don't see how Nairo's relatively inconsistent (In comparison to other top 5/10 players) make him a better player than Dabuz, who is the literal picture of consistency. Just my opinion though.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Bombs do one solid thing for Link: they blow up. While that sounds dumb, when Link's holding a bomb you have 6 seconds at absolute most to ladder Link off the top (assuming he pulls out a bomb and then the Bayo instantly starts the ladder), and if the bomb blows up at the top, Bayo is actually liable to die for trying her ladder. They don't win Link the matchup (I personally think it's -1 though I only go as negative as -2 for any character I do a matchup chart except for very specific circumstances like Little Mac vs PAC-MAN, Little Mac vs Peach, Ganon vs Sheik/Rosa/ZSS/Bayo), but they do force Bayo to respect the bomb while Link's holding it.

Oh, I think Nairo is phenomenal. I really do. I just don't see how Nairo's relatively inconsistent (In comparison to other top 5/10 players) make him a better player than Dabuz, who is the literal picture of consistency. Just my opinion though.
Larry mentioned earlier that a blown up bomb to interupt a ladder combo also risks killing Link. If Bayo could time it, she could purposely stop right before it blows up too.

And if the bomb blows up and no one dies, wouldn't Bayo be in a position to pull off another ladder combo? It would depend on percents, but i could see it just restarting half the combo

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
The thing that interests me the most about his Sheik is that he uses it for Rosalina. Other characters exploit Rosalina more than Sheik.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Larry mentioned earlier that a blown up bomb to interupt a ladder combo also risks killing Link. If Bayo could time it, she could purposely stop right before it blows up too.
Agreed. It's not infallible, but it does force Bayo to respect link.

Also I totally don't lab combos out of both players being blown up with a Bomb

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
fk

I meant drop zone witch twist, not witch time.

Also, CQC isn't really when you're at the length of a full sword length, that's nearing mid range to be frank. Link would suffer from true CQC a lot more than Bayo would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom