• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
These twitter things are kinda inconsistent in view until they go live for some reason, so I'll edit this as necessary -WIP- SUCCESS!

But basically my thoughts on stage discussion rn

Back throws killing at nearly any percent is hype, right?
"oh no! I GOT OUTPLAYED" -> I'll play smarter next time.
Rob's Gyro on Lylat -> ban it now, how was this stage ever legal?
It's almost like I totally did a ledge get up with several seconds of thinking in advance available to choose an alternative option but I did it anyway, I took 100%... definitely not MY FAULT.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Um am I on the character competitive impressions thread right now? Because while stage legality discussion is a yellow topic, I don't see the discussion leaning towards being relevant towards this thread right now.

So... if Umbra was legal as a cp and we had two bans, how do you think this would affect the meta? I actually really don't know what characters benefit from Umbra but I think two stage bans would be nice considering DH, Lylat and Umbra are pretty controversial.

plus I don't have have to take zero suit to bf every time she cps
Yes, it is a yellow topic, but since we don't have a dedicated thread on Stage legality anymore, this thread has temporarily been allowed to suffice that purpose.

Now, it is nice to see that people here are overall not too harshly against the stage. The motion sickness is not to be trivialized, but not to be emphasized either. I think a mock test (actual testing) would be great for actually determining the stage's viability.
At least I know my community had it legal for a while, with no issues whatsoever.

In my opinion, most stage bans are done out of personal preference anyway (I mean, look at how many people just ban "Lylat and Duckhunt" automatically), so, adding 1 stage ban and have a total of 3 might be helpful for people unable to stand the stage's motion while leaving the option to use the stage for others that don't mind it.
.... and while we're at it, let's please get rid of DSR, it serves no purpose, it's arbitrary, confusing, and most people usually don't even enforce it.
:196:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Kameme beat KEN 2-0 when they played in March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwkUkHcD84
Not sure if they've played each other in a tournament since then.
I don't understand how anyone can watch this guy play and not realize that he's on his own level, even among the other top players. His reflexes are exceptionally fast, his reads are on point, and even his adaptability is crazy (watch how he recovers the dropped footstool combo). Most top players simply put out smart, safe hitboxes in the most efficient way they can manage. This guy is pure precision. There is no wasted movement or attacking.

Browny

Smash Hater
Assuming Abadango used Mewtwo, do you know how volatile the Mewtwo ditto is? A single grab can end a stock around the early 100% range with rage (and around 117% without if you want to complain about rage), and just about every other one of Mewtwo's moves will kill the other around the same time if they hit. This is why I'm not a big fan of the ditto. I'm not surprised by this upset at all. It's to be expected with the character archetype. Rich Brown isn't a slouch either.
I've killed a sheik at 87% with max rage upthrow on duck hunt ground level, so I expect a rage Mewtwo will be uthrow KO'ing another Mewtwo at around 75%.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Wario is a really strange MU for Sheik, so I'd be interested in watching that whenever it comes up on VGBootCamp.
It's like playing against Lucario, in a way, but he's more like a ticking time bomb that you can barely edgeguard.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Wario is a really strange MU for Sheik, so I'd be interested in watching that whenever it comes up on VGBootCamp.
It's like playing against Lucario, in a way, but he's more like a ticking time bomb that you can barely edgeguard.
The match up is basiiiicly luck based.

If both players play solidly, Sheik can't kill Wario, Wario can't kill Sheik. What decides the match is this:

Can Wario land the waft before Sheik gets Wario to an obscenely high percentage for the kill?

And the issue with this is, a Sheik that plays it safe won't be hit by the Waft. You won't punish any kind of mistakes, that's just the way it is. The Wario will have to guess, or make a hard read based on the situation and what you know about your opponent's habits. This is hard to do and unreliable, so it feels to me, the match depends on the luck Gods smiling down on me, or cursing me.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
The match up is basiiiicly luck based.

If both players play solidly, Sheik can't kill Wario, Wario can't kill Sheik. What decides the match is this:

Can Wario land the waft before Sheik gets Wario to an obscenely high percentage for the kill?

And the issue with this is, a Sheik that plays it safe won't be hit by the Waft. You won't punish any kind of mistakes, that's just the way it is. The Wario will have to guess, or make a hard read based on the situation and what you know about your opponent's habits. This is hard to do and unreliable, so it feels to me, the match depends on the luck Gods smiling down on me, or cursing me.
I think you should post more often.
As much as people dislike to admit it, one of the best things about this thread is that we have very knowledgeable people for a multitude of characters. and I don't recall anyone here explicitly stating that they play Wario. You seem to know your stuff, as well.
It's nice to be able to come and get Charizard, Mii Brawler, Zelda, or Palutena data of all things.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I've killed a sheik at 87% with max rage upthrow on duck hunt ground level, so I expect a rage Mewtwo will be uthrow KO'ing another Mewtwo at around 75%.
That's crazy. I wasn't even thinking it would scale that much. I don't really play the ditto, so that's definitely eye opening.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
It was naaaaaaaasty.

Iota was getting worked the entire time, but then he "guessed" with a highly charged Waft and won.

"Scoundrel with a fart of Gold" indeed.
Wario is Lucario's mutant cousin. Sluggish/gimmicky characters that win by jank boosted by rage and 2 stock.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
It was naaaaaaaasty.

Iota was getting worked the entire time, but then he "guessed" with a highly charged Waft and won.

"Scoundrel with a fart of Gold" indeed.
This is pretty much how Sheik loses in a nutshell. She does tons of work and brings the opponent to a high percentage, only to die to a rage induced attack.

While she's still an excellent character and can still do really well at tournaments, she requires so much more work than almost anyone else in the cast to do that well, and even then, it's not guaranteed that you'll win. It's mentally exhausting. I think Browny's point on the other page about Sheik is an accurate one.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
You're not paying attention to how Sheik is losing to rage most of the time.
They're not random moves thrown out in neutral to kill Sheik.
The Sheik player overextends and dies for it.
2 recent examples.
Why would Puppeh ever dash in on a Wario with max rage and waft when he already has him at the ledge? too impatient for a kill.
Why would Mr. R ever bair a MM's shield at that range(where it is no longer safe on shield) knowing there's a combo that could potentially kill you at 45? too impatient and wanted one of his bair fsmashes that badly.
Just be more patient.
Stop trying to run in and press buttons all the time and the Sheiks won't be dying so early anymore.
Main reason ZeRo's Sheik used to live so long while you see Mr. R getting rage bs'd a lot. Trying to do too much in the neutral and overcommitting to things when the character's design directly tells you to NOT do that.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Let's not start some meme about Shiek being frustrating to play as. She is frustrating to play against. She has some of the best hitboxes and best frame data in the game, as well as the best recovery and best projectile. She is a monster, and the only thing keeping her from breaking the game wide open is the lack of a reliable kill confirm, and to a much lesser extent, rage.

FeelMeUp FeelMeUp is 100% correct. These are all cases where the Shiek player overextends and rightly gets punished for it. EVERY character gets punished for carelessly attacking a shield. Sheik's amazing speed and reach give her a lot more room for error than the bulk of the cast, so I don't think it's right to say something like "she requires so much precision only to die to rage" as though racking up percent is difficult with her or something. Shiek wins the neutral nine times out of ten. It's to your opponent's credit if they manage to break through her pressure and land a heavy attack to win a game like that.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Let's not start some meme about Shiek being frustrating to play as. She is frustrating to play against. She has some of the best hitboxes and best frame data in the game, as well as the best recovery and best projectile. She is a monster, and the only thing keeping her from breaking the game wide open is the lack of a reliable kill confirm, and to a much lesser extent, rage.

FeelMeUp FeelMeUp is 100% correct. These are all cases where the Shiek player overextends and rightly gets punished for it. EVERY character gets punished for carelessly attacking a shield. Sheik's amazing speed and reach give her a lot more room for error than the bulk of the cast, so I don't think it's right to say something like "she requires so much precision only to die to rage" as though racking up percent is difficult with her or something. Shiek wins the neutral nine times out of ten. It's to your opponent's credit if they manage to break through her pressure and land a heavy attack to win a game like that.
Someone on Twitter said it best.
Us Sheik players love complaining about racking up 100% from 0 instantly then dying at 30, but other players are just frustrated that they could only hit us 2 times in all those interactions.
Not only does she basically control the game in EVERY matchup(yes, even Rosalina) but she also is almost impossible to hit because of her character model, speed, data range, and needles.
If I die at 30 to a Bowser Fsmash or whatever I know my opponent deserved that for catching me ****ing up THAT badly.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
In the case of Megaman... I don't know exactly how to describe it but you -never- feel good (in control) trying to play passive against him. He controls too much space, takes space away very very rapidly and can cover nearly all options for trying to retake a solid position through defensive means.

Also Sheik's needles still the best projectile? iono.
Characters have actual mid-range game play options against the move now - getting into a range where shielding needles = a punish is magnitudes easier.
Meanwhile pellets come with a a hitbox on your body that is easy/reliable to snuff out most vertical approach/mix up attempts and come with the amazing passive effect of annoying the crap out of everybody dealing with them.

In terms of non-item projectiles, Mewtwo and Lucario are at the least stronger moves now (imo). More rewarding, safer, longer range, snuffs out jumps and landings.
Needles still have fantastic versatility, don't get me wrong, but they just aren't worth worrying about like they used to be. Between the shield stun patch and the long list of specific nerfs to range and frame data... it's just good.... not good enough to win or decide games (on their own) anymore though.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
That's crazy. I wasn't even thinking it would scale that much. I don't really play the ditto, so that's definitely eye opening.
Eh now that I think about it, there isnt a 12% weight difference in the two its more like 5-6%. Still though, people always underestimate Mewtwos uthrow for some reason, as evidenced by my sig since forever lol.

I think that rage helps it more than most because it is almost immune to DI.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
In the case of Megaman... I don't know exactly how to describe it but you -never- feel good (in control) trying to play passive against him. He controls too much space, takes space away very very rapidly and can cover nearly all options for trying to retake a solid position through defensive means.

Also Sheik's needles still the best projectile? iono.
Characters have actual mid-range game play options against the move now - getting into a range where shielding needles = a punish is magnitudes easier.
Meanwhile pellets come with a a hitbox on your body that is easy/reliable to snuff out most vertical approach/mix up attempts and come with the amazing passive effect of annoying the crap out of everybody dealing with them.

In terms of non-item projectiles, Mewtwo and Lucario are at the least stronger moves now (imo). More rewarding, safer, longer range, snuffs out jumps and landings.
Needles still have fantastic versatility, don't get me wrong, but they just aren't worth worrying about like they used to be. Between the shield stun patch and the long list of specific nerfs to range and frame data... it's just good.... not good enough to win or decide games (on their own) anymore though.
I have to disagree with you there.
Needles are generally better, in my opinion.
1. You are almost guaranteed ledge trap situations from halfway across the stage by pressing B a few times around 100 against anyone
2. Forces every character in the game to approach. Yes, even Sonic Cloud and Rosa.
3. Shuts out a lot of matchups when combined with Fair/Nair(Falcon, Fox, Rosa[lesser extent], Ness, etc). Honestly, if your character has bad mobility+no comeback mechanics+no amazing answers for needle you flat out lose the matchup.
4. Needles to Bouncing Fish is one of the best and most safe/versatile kill confirms in the game, and once you start seeing people use more of the angles characters will start getting killed MUCH earlier.
5. Singlehandedly gives you a full list of data on your opponents defensive and offensive habits
6. Gives free grabs on cancels at short range and forces overaggressive play, helping Sheik exploit her insane defensive tools
7. Free 7-11% f1 move that can punish anything in the game. Can't reach the Dragon's Lunge or Sonic Spring landing? Needles do it for you.
8. Can cover every ledge option on reaction
9. B reverse needles offstage are extremely deadly and difficult to tech for characters with linear recoveries(Fox, Pits, Falcon, etc)
etc etc
I don't know of any projectile that has as many positives as needles does. With no real drawbacks, at that. Almost any problem you can find in needles is inherent in most S4 proectiles.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
"He edge guards Diddy so well!"

Yeah so does Kirby. Or Puff. Or literally every other character if you guess his recovery option correctly.

Diddy loses to everyone guys, just edge guard him. It's totally all that matters. Neutral play? What's that?
Pika's neutral is nowhere near as good as Diddys. He struggles in neutral versus him so no, he can't reliably and constantly get him offstage for those situations anymore than normal.
:4pikachu: may not be a great character, but he does well vs. :4diddy:

The basic premise is this: Pikachu struggles against characters whom he can't edgeguard and who kill him more easily than he kills them, not characters who simply outneutral or outbutton him; he has too many options to lose to that straight up. Not only is Diddy edgeguardable, but also his banana is a pseudo-symmetrical effect that can be used against him to set up kills, mitigating Pikachu's most significant weakness enough to allow Pikachu to either tie in or win the matchup.

The strawman comparison to Jigglypuff and Kirby is laughably unwarranted. Jigglypuff and Kirby are decent in neutral, but lose very hard to basic Diddy options like f-air and d-tilt. Edgeguarding compensates for the weakness, but doesn't override it. On the other hand, Pikachu is actually quite solid in neutral and doesn't lose to any Diddy options outright (his d-tilt has just about as much range as Diddy's, for instance, whereas Kirby and Jigglypuff don't have quick grounded options with that much range). Edgeguarding takes an already solid matchup and moves it toward 0/+1.

He sports an excellent ground game thanks to solid movement speed and movement options--walk, crawl, run, foxtrot, great roll, great perfect pivot--which makes spacing difficult for Diddy, and he can get past/beat out Diddy's hitboxes with a combination of a f4 jumpsquat and a diverse set of tilts, jab, and close-to-the-ground aerials, as well as great horizontal aerial acceleration despite low max airspeed. He's an option-rich character with great movement specs who can play a patient game staying close to/on the ground, which means he has a great neutral overall.

Generally speaking, you won't be able to outneutral Pikachu into an advantageous matchup; this just doesn't happen in practice no matter how bad his range issues seem on paper. Marth doesn't beat Pikachu as Shaya outlined in an earlier post. Toon Link? Corrin? Lucas? Where did you even pull these random characters from? They're good in neutral vs. Pikachu but don't win the MU. Pikachu is not Mario. He's got better burst range and better grounded movement options, as well as more range on key moves like f-smash and d-tilt.

The characters who do give Pikachu trouble are generally not as good in neutral but have much higher reward and can't be edgeguarded as easily--Meta Knight and Ike come to mind; those matchups are very hard. Mario is obviously the worst. I would also argue that Bayonetta is a generally bad matchup if the Bayonetta is versed in the Pikachu MU, and ZSS in my experience hasn't been the easiest MU either.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
:4wario: plays nothing like :4lucario: tbh. I don't know why they're being compared ... just because a Wario player got an early kill through waft against Sheik in mid-level play?

Yeah, that's not how it works.

:059:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Nah needles are still the best projectile. Almost nothing even begins to compare simply because it is a chargeable, non-reactable, extremely high priority yet isn't hindered by the other chargeable projectiles by needing to cancel into shield first.

This alone gives it a huge frame advantage over other projectile users, but then add sheik's own superior frame data and it gets kind of ridiculous.

The only potential challenger to needles is shadowball, due to the intensely high reward and mewtwo's similarly high reward oos options. Sheik stuffs you for challenging needle charge, Mewtwo kills you for challenging shadowball charge. (Shield grab, fair, or nair for super safe cross-ups)

..But that includes mewtwo's kit. Replace aura sphere or energy shot with shadowball and the benefits aren't that great.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Overall I agree with Shaya Shaya that shadow ball is better but comparing projectiles is an apples vs oranges thing. They serve different purposes.
Someone on Twitter said it best.
Us Sheik players love complaining about racking up 100% from 0 instantly then dying at 30, but other players are just frustrated that they could only hit us 2 times in all those interactions.
Not only does she basically control the game in EVERY matchup(yes, even Rosalina) but she also is almost impossible to hit because of her character model, speed, data range, and needles.
If I die at 30 to a Bowser Fsmash or whatever I know my opponent deserved that for catching me ****ing up THAT badly.
I agree except when does Sheik die at 30%? I almost never see high level sheiks die under 100-something %.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Even losing 1 game due to rage is huge in a BO3. I don't see how you could possibly downplay it after posting such a big example.
It's not really a big example when he didn't even lose the game to it. The fact he immediately even stocks out and proceeded to still lose, to his own bad DI no less, is not an example of rage determining a set.

And to say it doesn't happen often and is being exaggerated is equally misleading. I'm not going to list every upset that's happened in the past few months as they are too numerous and I'm too lazy to check. But just off the top of my head:

Ally lost to a GnW in pools

Ally lost to Zenyou (Mario)

Ally lost to multiple different Corrins in pools recently
I looked up his track record at tournaments, and his only loss to a Corrin in pools was Blue Beast, who who beat 2-0 in the pool finals. The VOD of his loss doesn't exist, so there's no real way to extrapolate on how he lost the set. It could've been player error, it could've been gimps, but we don't really know. As with the Prince Ramen example where ZeRo simply made mistakes and got outplayed, it's presumptuous to assume that that was due to game mechanics.

Ally's losses in 2016 out of 28 tournaments:

Dismantle 2: DKWill (1-2), Nairo (1-3)
Southern Ohio Smash: Zinoto (Game #s unknown)
Wombo Wednesday 21: Shaky (1-2), Ranai (0-2)
GENESIS 3: Ranai (1-3), Nairo (1-3)
Frosty Faustings 3: JJROCKETS (1-3)
Landlocked: Ryuga (1-3), Dabuz (0-3)
Breakout 2: Zinoto x2 (Games #s unknown)
Shots Fired 2: 9B (1-2), ANTi (1-3)
OUTFOXX'd: Mr. R (1-3), Mr. R (0-3)
Pound 2016: VoiD (0-3), Abadango (0-3)
ConComics 2016: Hyuga (0-3)
EGLX: Mew2King (2-3), Nairo (0-3)
NEW FISH: Larry Lurr (1-3), Larry Lurr (1-3)
Momocon 2016: Wrath (0-2), Nairo (2-3)
Smash n' Splash 2: Ned (1-3)
Breakout II: AoH Vanity (0-2)
CEO 2016 Blue Beast (0-2), Zenyou (1-2)
Midwest Mayhem 4: 6WX (2-3), Hyuga (1-3)
Clutch City Clash: Samsora (0-2), Samsora (2-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: 6WX (1-2), VoiD (1-3)
Endgame: Mew2King (1-3), ZeRo (1-3)

Out of the 34 set losses in 2016, only 3 seem to be particularly unusual. You could call his losses to JJ and Shaky abnormal, but in fairness, both have some impressive accomplishments and could feasibly drop a top player, especially as early in the year as those losses were taken before Ally had even broken out with huge wins. Same applies to DKWill, especially since the common viewpoint at the time was that DK > Mario in terms of matchups.

Ned, Wrath, and Samsora all appear to be totally worthy players with good accomplishments. Wrath has not lost a set to anybody in GA in months, Ned has beaten Zinoto and continues to be a challenge for Ally, and Samsora had a grand total of 7 games, the last of which one where Ally made a critical SD that robbed his already waning chances of a comeback.

I can't comment much of his loss to Vanity, besides that:
-Ally stated he was really good
-Vanity made 9th at the tourney, getting beaten by Blacktwins, who went on a roll and even bested Zinoto, getting 4th at the tourney.

Games 2 and 3 (the ones Zenyou won) of Ally v. Zenyou are online, and judging from the footage, both simply played evenly. Zenyou has accomplishments under his belt, he's 5th on the PR of what's probably the strongest individual region in the world, I don't think it's that absurd especially considering Ally got KO'd by intelligent edgeguarding on Zenyou's part. The game also descended into upsmash wars, but this was after numerous equal exchanges in the neutral.

You could argue that only 2 would be unpredictable, and we regrettably lack footage of either set to make any sort of reasonable judgment call. I would say that, judging by this, major upsets are rare if he set losses are generally to people at or around his level.

Void also lost to a different GnW
VoiD injured his hand at Mexico Saga. IIRC, it got stepped on when he was trying to get candy from a pinata they had bust open. I don't imagine this is a huge coincidence, considering it's his worst placement of the year and the only other time he scored out of a top 8 at a tourney he's attended.

M2K lost to Luigi in pools
Because he made a bunch of bad decisions that led to him getting gimped twice. This is what I'm talking about when I say people don't examine the upsets. He played bad and got punished in harshest manner because Cloud's recovery is atrocious if you allow it to get exploited like that. I mean, he literally missed a "style points" Dair to try and finish the guy's stock and SD'd.

Anti lost to Xaltis and then Dath at Evo
ANTi, playing Cloud, got KO'd in the starting seconds of game 1 against Xaltis and overall did not play the set to his best capacity judging by his errors; No footage of Dath vs. ANTi exist to my knowledge, but Dath made top 32 at both CEO and EVO and is generally one of Florida's better players.

Zero lost to Mr.E at Evo and Day at SSC
While I've already noted his lost to Day was likely junky (he apparently got upsmash at 30-40% and died lol), he definitely is responsible for his own loss against Mr. E, it seems - he airdodges quite a ways below the ledge and can't recovery with Diddy, causing him to lose game 3.

Abadango lost to Rich Brown at SSC

I'm not really at liberty to comment much on the Mewtwo ditto since I have no idea and I'll post it for someone else to analyze, though Rich won Game 1 by punishing either a mispaced Nair or an empty hop on Abadango's part. There didn't seem to be any 2 stock/rage mechanic nonsense happening in the match.

You can look up many, many more examples in just the past few months. Upsets happen all the time. In fact if you took a look at the top 24 bracket at SSC before it got played out and someone asked you which side was losers and winners you'd get them wrong. Why? Because most top players, especially those that had been doing really well recently were sent to losers early and as a result the bottom half of the bracket looked way more stacked.
When there are a couple of dozen players, the loser's bracket in top 12/8 is pretty much always going to be stacked, lol. Some people in Loser's weren't even major upsets, given the context:

-6WX had taken a set off of Ally before. Upset, but not a huge one.
-Taiheita beating Marss is definitely an example of Taiheita simply being underrated. Not really much on an upset.
-Mr. R > Zinoto isn't an upset.
-6WX > Tweek isn't an upset.
-VoiD > Pink Fresh isn't an upset.

Part of the reason loser's looked especially stacked is because the qualifer for top 24 naturally throws one of two world-class players into loser's bracket. ScAtt beating Dabuz, while an upset, is not something indicative of massive inconsistency, since ScAtt is a capable player playing an increasingly optimized character.

There were still an unusually high number of significant upsets, but it's pretty bad to accuse me of exaggerating when several of the examples you listed are barely even valid examples in the context of the discussion. E.g., the top players were not playing their best and lost to somebody who was playing the game better at that point. Few of these were determined by "jank".

It's entirely fair. We're talking about better vs. lesser players, but the lesser players happened to play a better game than the "better" player, because the better player wasn't playing to their top capacity or some X other circumstance, lost the set, and got sent to loser's. Nairo's comparison to Dark Souls in a recent interview is pretty apt. You can't play less than your best.

Bringing up Melee again, with not even 2 year sunk into the game vs. over a decade with the other, you can expect less consistency at the top level since the top players of the younger game have lacked the sheer amount of time and history to refine their gameplay.

Basically; The "Smash 4 is inconsistent" comment is exaggerated and the simplified reasons for it are generally not the cause of upsets, and few upsets that happen are true examples of a "random" beating a top player, with numerous caveats and nuances that people often miss.

The reason top 8s still ends up being familiar faces is because the players causing upsets aren't good enough to make top 8. They are good for an upset or two and then they lose soon afterwards. Which is more proof that the lesser players are winning in these cases.
the top 8s are generally familiar because top players in loser's bracket often lost to other top players in loser's quarters, due to the aforementioned giant pool of good players that make these circumstances inevitable

Fenny

Smash Ace
So I decided to pick up Sanik again seriously for the first time since I mained him in Brawl and I'm kinda forgetting why I dropped him in the first place.

Oh yeah, it was because I was kind of disenchanted by the idea that optimal Sonic was a timeout one, as good as that playstyle is I've always been an aggressive kind of player, which is why I came to love characters like Bayo and Mewtwo.

But KEN's display during S.A.T pushed me to play around with him the way I like to play - bait and punish, hit and run. And I've come to love him again too, which makes me hella happy.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
I saw this post on reddit and I wanted to open it up to discussion:

"Anyway Smash 4 I believe has the best aerial mobility in the series and this is what gives it so much of its depth.

• It has double the aerial acceleration of Melee

• The highest air speeds in the series (though only a bit higher than Brawl)

• It's fastfall speeds are a 60% increase from it's regular fall speeds, while in Melee/Brawl it's an average of 30%-40% increase. 64 has a 60% increase as well but it's also missing a ton of other stuff (you can't even fastfall during aerials). On top of this Smash 4 fastfall speeds on average are almost as high as Melee's, what this basically means is that in Smash 4 you have access to Brawl-like fall speeds and Melee-like fall speeds....and that opens up a lot more variability in terms of vertical movement. It allows for much more distinct "tempos" for air-ground transitions, and the opponent has to always consider that you could quickly land at Melee speed at any point out of those floatier jump arcs that allow for extended horizontal movement. This also allows for much stronger tomahawks and empty hops into sudden jabs/tilts out of your jumps. It all means that your jump trajectories become significantly less predictable in the end.

• Fastfall braking/fastfall cancelling. This is a completely overlooked mechanic/tech, but it adds so much nuance to the the aerial game that is not present in any past smash game. For those who don't know, any time you use an aerial out of a fastfall it automatically slows you back down to regular fall speed, though you can also continue to fastfall if you choose. This can mess with the opponent's spacing/timing in lots of situations, and has a lot of unsung utility as it's been taken for granted at this point. You can cause your opponent's punish timing to be just a bit premature, you can allow landing aerials out of fastfalled sh's to stay out just that little bit longer and give you that extra horizontal boost needed to reach the opponent. Importantly you can also freely fastfall into your aerials against shield, and it still allows for cross ups to happen as strongly as they normally would. No it's not a hugely important option, but it adds a level of nuance to your aerial game that isn't present in Melee nor any past smash game.

• One area all of this aerial mobility potential extends to another area in Smash 4: a stronger cross up game. The significantly larger fall speed differences allow you travel longer horizontal distances in regular fall and threaten cross ups, but also allow you threaten sudden landings with fastfalls. This allows players to be more ambiguous in which side they're landing on, with all of it greatly compounded by the higher air speeds and much, much higher acceleration. On top of this, the lower shield push of Smash 4 also strengthens cross ups, by allowing players to use moves that push the opponent in the opposite direction while having much more viable cross up potential against it. Lastly like I mentioned before, fastfall cancelling also allows players to still be able to cross up out of fastfalls by letting them hang there for longer after aerials on shield. For all that I mentioned above, cross ups in Smash 4 are more important than in any previous Smash game, and have over time become vital tools in aerial vs shield mix up games.

• Why do people act as though defensive options don't "count" as meaningful options when comparing games? What you can do to avoid a hit often adds another layer to the mind games, and creates more strategies and mix ups that otherwise wouldn't exist. Having much shorter shield drop times means that one can more freely make use of quick shields in neutral, which doesn't just add to defensive options but more aggressive ones as well (i.e dash up shield). Having stronger rolls allows for viable grounded cross ups along with a viable way to make sudden movements back in neutral (making movements in less committal). Having strong air dodges also opens up a whole other world of conditioning and reads, and creates mix ups in situations that would otherwise mean a free hit. It means that the advantaged player has to be more careful sometimes in how they go for juggles/follow ups, and further opens up the potential for intelligent and well-timed frame traps.

• Sure DI is stronger in Melee/Brawl, but Smash 4 also adds a whole other dimension to this in vectoring. What this means is that players not only have the option to DI up or down, but the option to DI up and in, or up and out, or down and in, or down and out. If you map the opponent's potential DI positions in other games it would be something akin to a curved line, but in Smash 4 it becomes more akin to a circle. So sure DI angles are shorter in Smash 4 but that's sort of necessary, as there a whole other dimension being added which allows you to also control the DISTANCE you get sent. Obviously there's a balance to be struck in terms of DI potential and follow up potential, and I think reducing the angles was necessary for that with vectoring being added. I think it's interesting how you have some level of both directional control and distance control for Smash 4 DI though, it allows for a lot of nuance in follow up interactions that past games don't quite have.
All of this intricate aerial movement opens up lots of potential for weaving in and out of opponent different threat zones in very deceptive manners, which on top of the hybrid proactive /reactive style pushes the neutral to be heavily based on footsies type interactions (I feel more so than the past games). There is just so much going on with not only fluid aerial movement but more fluid and unpredictable air-ground transitions as well, since like I went into before there's more you can do with vertical movement than past games. On top of that, there's a bunch of potent ground movement options/tech which are being constantly developed and explored. I mean bidou, step dashing, even option selects all have the potential to evolve the game to levels we couldn't imagine in the long term future.

Keep in mind that skill ceiling isn't just physical either, the mental aspect of skill is usually what matters most at the highest levels (though I think skill ceiling is just a dumb term to begin with, because it necessarily can never be proven that it's been reached) . Smash 4 has incredibly deep conditioning and bait and punish games. It's aerial movements at midrange often can exist on the borderline of being committal/noncommittal, which opens up greater potential for players to more easily deceive opponent's into thinking they have an opening.... but then subverting their expected path and then manipulating the entire interaction to their advantage. Whereas if those movements were either too safe or too unsafe, the player wouldn't be able to disguise one as the other so much.

This is one aspect I believe helps to define they dynamic of what makes footsies play out like it does. Everything has to be balanced the right way so that approaching is neither too easy nor too hard, and that creates the complex "push and pull" of neutral....where players are trying to coax each other to open themselves up through subtle forms of spacing/movement based manipulation. There's just a ton of depth within the way this dynamic plays out in Smash 4, one has such a free 2D plane to space off of but one that is still composed of somewhat committal and somewhat predictable aerial trajectories.

EDIT: Here's a good example of this type of dynamic that I think exemplifies high level Smash 4 neutral
"

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Minor point, but I wanted to point out that Scatt and Fatality have extensive Rosalina experience. They don't fall for common Rosa cheese like 2nd hit of Luma nair, where a lot of top players still get hit by it for whatever reason.

Dabuz being forced off of Rosalina against Fatality and losing to Scatt didn't surprise me because they play two characters that both do well against Rosa + have scarce, talented representation + they both have a lot of experience in the matchup, whereas it's unlikely Dabuz has the same depth of experience fighting those characters.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
i have a surprise

I'll be updating the character scores later, instead I have some real hard data to share relating to player set losses

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
What does everyone think about diddy being ranked #1, as well as having such a small standard deviation?

Personally i think it's pretty much indisputable that hes the most consistent character, but I don't believe he is really the best character.
I think the reason he is so consistent is because of simply how easy he is to use, and his low risk playstyle.

I also dont think there is really any true best character in smash 4, the game is too balanced for that.

Or maybe diddy really is simply better than everyone else.

On a side note, i think its really cool how diddy recieved arguably the hardest nerfs in the game, yet he has now climbed all the way back to #1
(Rip popgun cancelling hitstun)

Rizen

Smash Legend
What does everyone think about diddy being ranked #1, as well as having such a small standard deviation?
Makes sense to me; he's safe, versatile, great setups and has the best results. I would have put Sheik above Cloud for 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom