• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Set 1 game 5, Elegant got nervous and held shield too long, allowing Leo to take Elegant offstage for an edgeguard

Set 2 game 5, Elegant dropped just *one* punish opportunity in that last stock scenario, leading to the above once more

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Larry used Marth?!

*SHOCKEDBUTVERYHAPPYFACE*

When was this?
Marth took a game off NAKAT's Ness. Unsure if Marth was used outside of that set.

Edit: I'm hyped for Luigi as much as the next guy but Samsora put in some serious work with Peach.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Luigi still loses to Cloud, but I tend to agree w/ Tweek - it's only -1.

Thing is though - you really have to watch all of the things Elegant had to do just to get around bair, for example.

And once Leo got that regular getup timing down, Elegant had to do a million things right to get past that, too.

Reverse hitboxes though, lmao. Sometimes they're great, but... not here :p

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
so, it's often said weegee's weakness is getting camped. So how many times did Elegant run into someone who plays a character that could camp luigi out well?
Also I'm pretty sure elegant didn't run into any bayos (because ZeRo slayed two of them lel)

|RK|

Smash Marketer
so, it's often said weegee's weakness is getting camped. So how many times did Elegant run into someone who plays a character that could camp luigi out well?
Also I'm pretty sure elegant didn't run into any bayos (because ZeRo slayed two of them lel)
It is Luigi's weakness, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE to get around. I like watching Elegant for that reason - Cloud is amazing at camping Luigi out, but Elegant knows exactly how to play around that. Either something like powershield > ftilt, waiting for a whiff, etc.

On top of that, he didn't really rush in often AND took the first stock frequently, so percents were too close to try camping him out.

Though even in spite of that, you could see how helpless Luigi was in specific situations. Like, if Elegant couldn't "manipulate" Leo's blade, he'd just die at times.

Especially with Limit in the picture.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
It is Luigi's weakness, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE to get around. I like watching Elegant for that reason - Cloud is amazing at camping Luigi out, but Elegant knows exactly how to play around that. Either something like powershield > ftilt, waiting for a whiff, etc.

On top of that, he didn't really rush in often AND took the first stock frequently, so percents were too close to try camping him out.

Though even in spite of that, you could see how helpless Luigi was in specific situations. Like, if Elegant couldn't "manipulate" Leo's blade, he'd just die at times.

Elegant was punishing a lot of Leo's bairs with rising fair and rar b-air, things got rough for Elegant once he started over shielding and giving Leo free grabs, being forced offstage and having to deal with Leo's amazing ledge option coverage. Not that I blame Elegant due to Leo's immaculate spacing and conditioning.

It was just those very tiny cracks in Elegant's gameplay at those pivotal moments that lost him both sets

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Elegant has been doing this for a while now I'm glad he got some big time exposure, while Elegant is definitely a special case this helps reaffirm my belief that no matter how "easy" it is to outrange a character if they have a monster of a advantage state and get 80% off the one time they get in what does it matter? You simply cannot outrange Luigi and similar characters like him (Monster advantage yet bad disadvantage/disjoint issues) and expect to win for free.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I didn't watch GTX but seeing the results, I find it funny how often a non-top tier makes it to 2nd place at big tournaments like this. There was Megaman at EVO (?), Captain Falcon at Civil War, Lucario at Frostbite and now Luigi at GTX.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

The matchup gets exponentially worse for Luigi when Cloud waits for him to attack first. Cloud can just whiff punish basically everything, which is his biggest strength in most matchups.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I didn't watch GTX but seeing the results, I find it funny how often a non-top tier makes it to 2nd place at big tournaments like this. There was Megaman at EVO (?), Captain Falcon at Civil War, Lucario at Frostbite and now Luigi at GTX.
Honerable mention to T (Link) for getting 3rd at that one big tournament I can't remember...

None of the non top tiers consistently place that high though it seems and drown for a while after. Maybe people get scared and add that to the list of characters to practice against? One could get flustered by Luigi due to his unique get up , making ledge traps very tough.

There probably is an invisible cut off for characters to have at least some practice/MU knowledge against without being upset. Based on the current list, I'd cut it off at DK. The rest you can get away with being mostly clueless about.

Ok, I'd add Duck Hunt and Link in the Japan region on that list. Little Mac too only if you're a Bayo main.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Honerable mention to T (Link) for getting 3rd at that one big tournament I can't remember...

None of the non top tiers consistently place that high though it seems and drown for a while after. Maybe people get scared and add that to the list of characters to practice against? One could get flustered by Luigi due to his unique get up , making ledge traps very tough.

There probably is an invisible cut off for characters to have at least some practice/MU knowledge against without being upset. Based on the current list, I'd cut it off at DK. The rest you can get away with being mostly clueless about.

Ok, I'd add Duck Hunt and Link in the Japan region on that list. Little Mac too only if you're a Bayo main.
That Link placement was also Civil War. And a sort of exception was when Abadango got 1st at a tournament with Mewtwo after he got buffed and people still weren't sure if he was top or high tier yet. Next tier list after that, he got added to top tier. Granted, Mewtwo gets more consistent results than the other characters I mentioned.

And what do you mean by Luigi's unique get up? I was unaware it was anything special. Is it exceptionally fast or have extra invulnerability frames or does he go into the z-axis or something?

Also RIP to Robin being just below that cutoff point. Granted, the current tier list is outdated and I feel DK is at least high tier.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
One problem with this, which has mainly been this year: Falcon. Falcon does seem to kind of drop, yeah, but his drops are really fast. 2nd at CW, dropped for a bit, 2nd at Momocon, dropped for a bit, 1st at Showdown, now starting to drop a bit again.
Maybe this is just Fatality being a little inconsistent, but when Falcon has gotten more top 3s or higher than everyone in his tier, plus Ryu, that's something that needs to be addressed.
Though Falcon aside this does seem to be true, which made me wonder what those characters who have one moment in the limelight and have in common, and I may have found it: difficulty/bracket luck. It was said T got lucky he didn't run into any sheiks at CW. Idk what you guys think, but Link and Mega Man seem a lot harder to play at a top level, and a lot easier to develop counterplay against, than the top tiers.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So what do you mean by that?
Characters that you should at least have a knowledgeable and we'll trained sparring partner to verse with that main, and to also know your kill windows for depending on if your character has one. Everyone below DK I feel you don't have to worry about having practice against because...well they aren't as good as the group mentioned and your mains strengths will probably overpower them. Unless your character is one of those weird low tiers who does ok vs a top tier (Mac vs Bayo)
That Link placement was also Civil War. And a sort of exception was when Abadango got 1st at a tournament with Mewtwo after he got buffed and people still weren't sure if he was top or high tier yet. Next tier list after that, he got added to top tier. Granted, Mewtwo gets more consistent results than the other characters I mentioned.

And what do you mean by Luigi's unique get up? I was unaware it was anything special. Is it exceptionally fast or have extra invulnerability frames or does he go into the z-axis or something?

Also RIP to Robin being just below that cutoff point. Granted, the current tier list is outdated and I feel DK is at least high tier.
From what I've heard mentioned throughout and even during commentating, Luigi is harder to punish or catch on the ledge because his timing is different or something like that...I noticed MKLeo figured it out during the rest and got many grabs upon Elegant when recovering get up from the ledge.

Yeah RIP Robin, he has virtually no player base outside of Dath. Even if I think he is well placed at the bottom of the mid tier. Leven sword and having a kill confirm is too strong for low.

Dk is high tier and I worry about people who don't think he isn't at this point. The list is outdated but only a few placements are striking. Those being DK/Bowser,Luigi, and maybe Duck Hunt. ZSS will trade places with Mario I bet. Marth should be at the bottom of A tier.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
The matchup gets exponentially worse for Luigi when Cloud waits for him to attack first. Cloud can just whiff punish basically everything, which is his biggest strength in most matchups.
The thing is the way elegant played it, he either ran until he got real close to mkleo, or did a dash grab that was spaced right on him. Cloud can wait until both players grow beards, but he'll bust moves once Luigi inches closer and closer.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
Imo while a good suggestion, one custom allowed per character doesn't work because some characters need more than one custom to be better (palutena, ganon, etc.)
That's not inherently true. While Lightweight and Super Speed make Palutena much better, she'd still fare well using either of the two, especially over Reflect and Counter. Lightweight would allow her to KO combo off of her grabs, and Super Speed would allow her to get in on her opponent. As for Ganondorf, while Dark Fists and Dropkick would be nice (And Warlock's Blade lol), Wizard's Dropkick alone helps his recovery IMMENSELY.

I'm an advocate for both single custom move swap and lower-tier custom restriction (Allowing C-tier and below starting at Yoshi) as the lower tiered characters could benefit from adjusting their kit to handle the top tiers. As a Pac-Main, I know that Freaky Strawberry's backwards kb works wonders at combing and getting KOs and that Lazy Fruit in general helps his trap game, but I digress.

My last note on customs is in regards to their in-game inclusion with the current metagame. I think if there was both single custom move only + lower tier restriction for customs that they would fit fine with the current meta: There'd only be one move that is changed which is easier to adjust to, and lower tiered characters aren't common in tournaments anyways so it's not like matchup unfamiliarity isn't already a thing. Why not throw a bone for the lesser characters and test it out to see if they break the game or not?

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
That trait isn't exclusive to Cloud though. A lot of characters can play keepaway and whiff punish against Luigi, but the thing about Elegant is that *he* was the one provoking Cloud to hit first in his matches, by inching closer and closer to bait a spaced aerial or some other commitment.

And sometimes it was better to hit first, when Cloud uses b-air he has to space and fast fall in a certain way for it to be safe on block, since the auto cancel window isn't as generous as uair. That's when Elegant would call this spacing out with aggressive rising aerials to interrupt Cloud.

Also....that ONE b-air during set 1 game 5....the one that should have killed Leo and won the set but instead sent him toward the stage, that definitely threw Elegant for a loop.

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Dk is high tier and I worry about people who don't think he isn't at this point.
What makes you think DK is high tier? For all of the ****ty MU's he has I doubt anyone can make a convincing argument but I'd like to see someone try.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Characters that you should at least have a knowledgeable and we'll trained sparring partner to verse with that main, and to also know your kill windows for depending on if your character has one. Everyone below DK I feel you don't have to worry about having practice against because...well they aren't as good as the group mentioned and your mains strengths will probably overpower them.
I used to think this as well. I still do for mid-level play. Once you get closer to top level play though, you really need to be studying your projected pools and bracket pretty hard. With 56 characters, with discord building esoteric community knowledge, it's dangerous to rely on your presumed top tier character's strengths to carry you. You need to do your due diligence and practice if you are facing say, a top Ike or a top Link or something.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
The only thing that irks me about the result of this tournament is that some people *immediately* started complaining about Cloud and his tools, not at all acknowledging Leo and how much he had to mixup his gameplay and tactics in order to beat Elegant.

And to say nothing of beating ZeRo 3-1 with Meta Knight, a character long thought to be dead in the current meta...like come on. Give the kid some credit at least. Speaking of which, thoughts on Meta Knight? He's had a decent amount of success as a secondary, though not as strong as a counterpick as he used to be considering Abadango lost cleanly to Samsora's Peach (who was also on fire this tournament as well, making 5th at such a stacked event)

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Speaking of MK and Zero, didn't Abadango have a huge losing streak vs Zero and then finally won...either a match or a set, I don't recall but it was with MK. Don't remember the tournament either but I do recall a match being on Lylat. Does MK do well vs Diddy or at least better than Cloud, Marth and Mewtwo?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
That trait isn't exclusive to Cloud though. A lot of characters can play keepaway and whiff punish against Luigi, but the thing about Elegant is that *he* was the one provoking Cloud to hit first in his matches, by inching closer and closer to bait a spaced aerial or some other commitment.

And sometimes it was better to hit first, when Cloud uses b-air he has to space and fast fall in a certain way for it to be safe on block, since the auto cancel window isn't as generous as uair. That's when Elegant would call this spacing out with aggressive rising aerials to interrupt Cloud.

Also....that ONE b-air during set 1 game 5....the one that should have killed Leo and won the set but instead sent him toward the stage, that definitely threw Elegant for a loop.
I mean yeah but....again, that's why Cloud isn't supposed to attack first. His frame data does not really require him to be pre-emptive, especially if his back is turned to Luigi, which is where it gets really obnoxious.

It's kinda similar to Marth though different in how they execute it fundamentally, but if Cloud does not get scared into throwing a move out it's generally not all that bad.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
On :4luigi:, I've always thought he's been lowkey high tier for a while; in fact, I remember mentioning this a couple of days ago during our tier list talks. I never thought his 26th place on the tier list did him enough justice. Not going into individual placements, but I think he's top 20 somewhere.

Cloud:Luigi may not be good fun for Luigi, but Elegant proved it's more than possible.

Most great characters in this game have their "jank", trump card type thing. For Luigi it's Cyclone gimps. He's got all the makings of a good character. His combo game is still borked. Sheik and Bayonetta have 0-50% combos? That's cute I suppose. 0-85% is what tough guys do, clearly.

Of course he has his own weaknesses that prevent him from being top tier though.

---

Does MK do well vs Diddy or at least better than Cloud, Marth and Mewtwo?
Our best local player is a MK main, and as a matter of fact, he was eliminated by a Diddy at a tournament yesterday in an upset (ended up 9th, same as little old me). I asked him about the MU (this was all before Leo v ZeRo), and he said that the MU is doable, but it's generally a struggle. The areas of the MU that seem to be problem areas are mostly to do with the ground and MK's range. Dash Attack is MK's best move, and banana controls the ground around MK. If Diddy places banana at a good range and stands back, MK is forced to get around the banana. He can Dash Attack to pick it up, but if Diddy waits for this he can punish it, but if MK has the banana in hand, he loses his best move in Dash Attack. Diddy's Fair also outranges and can trade with any of MK's moves (that's sad to think about actually; dumb move), so he has that to watch for too.

However, he says the plus sides include that Diddy is quite easy to ladder with his weight and physics, as well as having a decent hurtbox size, and the offstage game and gimps. This is what Leo was capitalizing on during the set and it's probably why he won the set to be honest. To be quite blunt MK has one of, if not the best off stage games in the game. Not only does he possess some disjoint, but he has multiple jumps, and a special moveset where all moves can theoretically be used for recovery. MK can go out/deep as much as he wants and still get back. This is the future for MK play.

And in reference to Cloud and Marth, I can't comment much on Cloud, but I actually played Marth:Diddy loads yesterday at the same tournament. I always used to think the MU was a big disadvantage for Marth, and that Leo was just good at the MU. However, I definitely feel now that it's much like MK; either even or minor Diddy advantage. Marth just needs to play the stage control game and utilise his walk to pressure Diddy into a corner where he's forced to monkey flip, which you punish on reaction with your disjoint. Overcomittal in the MU leads to some mean damage though, so good utilisation of Jab and Dtilt for spacing is key.

Also coming out of yesterday, more hot opinions of mine that will likely die out in a few weeks (disclaimer: my opinions):
  • Bayonetta loses to Rosalina, or is even at best.
  • Marth still does well v Rosalina; might even beat her.
  • Rosalina beats Sonic.
  • Samus v ROB is actually quite good for Samus - also only realised her Dthrow isn't weight based which is hype.
  • Ganon in doubles with the right partner is actually amazing.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
On :4luigi:, I've always thought he's been lowkey high tier for a while; in fact, I remember mentioning this a couple of days ago during our tier list talks. I never thought his 26th place on the tier list did him enough justice. Not going into individual placements, but I think he's top 20 somewhere.

Cloud:Luigi may not be good fun for Luigi, but Elegant proved it's more than possible.

Most great characters in this game have their "jank", trump card type thing. For Luigi it's Cyclone gimps. He's got all the makings of a good character. His combo game is still borked. Sheik and Bayonetta have 0-50% combos? That's cute I suppose. 0-85% is what tough guys do, clearly.

Of course he has his own weaknesses that prevent him from being top tier though.

---

Our best local player is a MK main, and as a matter of fact, he was eliminated by a Diddy at a tournament yesterday in an upset (ended up 9th, same as little old me). I asked him about the MU (this was all before Leo v ZeRo), and he said that the MU is doable, but it's generally a struggle. The areas of the MU that seem to be problem areas are mostly to do with the ground and MK's range. Dash Attack is MK's best move, and banana controls the ground around MK. If Diddy places banana at a good range and stands back, MK is forced to get around the banana. He can Dash Attack to pick it up, but if Diddy waits for this he can punish it, but if MK has the banana in hand, he loses his best move in Dash Attack. Diddy's Fair also outranges and can trade with any of MK's moves (that's sad to think about actually; dumb move), so he has that to watch for too.

However, he says the plus sides include that Diddy is quite easy to ladder with his weight and physics, as well as having a decent hurtbox size, and the offstage game and gimps. This is what Leo was capitalizing on during the set and it's probably why he won the set to be honest. To be quite blunt MK has one of, if not the best off stage games in the game. Not only does he possess some disjoint, but he has multiple jumps, and a special moveset where all moves can theoretically be used for recovery. MK can go out/deep as much as he wants and still get back. This is the future for MK play.

And in reference to Cloud and Marth, I can't comment much on Cloud, but I actually played Marth:Diddy loads yesterday at the same tournament. I always used to think the MU was a big disadvantage for Marth, and that Leo was just good at the MU. However, I definitely feel now that it's much like MK; either even or minor Diddy advantage. Marth just needs to play the stage control game and utilise his walk to pressure Diddy into a corner where he's forced to monkey flip, which you punish on reaction with your disjoint. Overcomittal in the MU leads to some mean damage though, so good utilisation of Jab and Dtilt for spacing is key.

Also coming out of yesterday, more hot opinions of mine that will likely die out in a few weeks (disclaimer: my opinions):
  • Bayonetta loses to Rosalina, or is even at best.
  • Marth still does well v Rosalina; might even beat her.
  • Rosalina beats Sonic.
  • Samus v ROB is actually quite good for Samus - also only realised her Dthrow isn't weight based which is hype.
In regards to MK v Diddy, if Diddy places the banana on the ground, MK could still use it as a potential offensive option if he can grab it. His forward item toss also has less endlag than his dash attack (faf 25 compared to faf 32) and it only comes out 1 frame later (f8 compared to f7). JCIT would allow the banana to slightly substitute his dash attack along with the options of retreating while throwing it at Diddy or throwing it in the air to keep it out of play for slightly longer. As for fair, being able to outrange MK is pretty dumb (amusing though considering Brawl) but if Diddy whiffs then MK should be able to punish with dash attack or banana. I also wonder if MK can duck under it since his step dash is so good. This is all just spitballing while looking at frame data since I've never played the mu.

In regards to Leo vs Zero, I haven't seen the match yet but did Leo go Marth or Cloud at all vs Zero? Surely he has before at least. I ask since I'm wondering if Leo was simply more comfortable with the MK v Diddy mu compared to his mains. Or perhaps MK is simply able to be more rewarding at times due to how easy Diddy is to juggle or maybe just less punishing if he whiffs.

Are vods up for GTX yet?

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
What makes you think DK is high tier? For all of the ****ty MU's he has I doubt anyone can make a convincing argument but I'd like to see someone try.
For a character with such a terrible MU chart ( and some are pretty rough) he has placed well as a main and secondary since the last tier list at a consistent rate. He's another Luigi where he has a terrible disadvantage (he doesn't struggle as bad with disjoints tho) but has a monsterous advantage where Luigi can combo you to 80, he kills you in three grabs and has the means to land those grabs

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Several people, myself included have been saying :4luigi: should be high tier for a long time. His trouble approaching is somewhat negated by his fireball; it really pulls his moveset together.
IMO :4dk: belongs in a borderline tier with a few other midtiers (:4bowser:) and high tiers (:4peach:). :4dk:'s strengths outweigh his weaknesses but he does have them. He's obviously better than mid-tiers yet not as solid as high tiers.
I used to think this as well. I still do for mid-level play. Once you get closer to top level play though, you really need to be studying your projected pools and bracket pretty hard. With 56 characters, with discord building esoteric community knowledge, it's dangerous to rely on your presumed top tier character's strengths to carry you. You need to do your due diligence and practice if you are facing say, a top Ike or a top Link or something.
^This. Don't forget Zero lost to :4palutena:, was that PrinceRamen And Trella (iirc?) was wrecking with :4miisword: before people figured him out. Even :4zelda: can be scary if you don't know how to deal with her, as Ven has showed.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
In regards to MK v Diddy, if Diddy places the banana on the ground, MK could still use it as a potential offensive option if he can grab it. His forward item toss also has less endlag than his dash attack (faf 25 compared to faf 32) and it only comes out 1 frame later (f8 compared to f7). JCIT would allow the banana to slightly substitute his dash attack along with the options of retreating while throwing it at Diddy or throwing it in the air to keep it out of play for slightly longer. As for fair, being able to outrange MK is pretty dumb (amusing though considering Brawl) but if Diddy whiffs then MK should be able to punish with dash attack or banana. I also wonder if MK can duck under it since his step dash is so good. This is all just spitballing while looking at frame data since I've never played the mu.

In regards to Leo vs Zero, I haven't seen the match yet but did Leo go Marth or Cloud at all vs Zero? Surely he has before at least. I ask since I'm wondering if Leo was simply more comfortable with the MK v Diddy mu compared to his mains. Or perhaps MK is simply able to be more rewarding at times due to how easy Diddy is to juggle or maybe just less punishing if he whiffs.

Are vods up for GTX yet?
Leo went Marth a lot vs ZeRo's Diddy in the past, and usually still does, then switches to Cloud should he feel the need.

To be honest, I wonder if Meta Knight also caught ZeRo by surprise, and whether that also likely had something to help assist with the win. Obviously having multiple characters to surprise people is a real thing and Leo is a prime example. It's been a very long time since Leo used Meta Knight vs ZeRo properly, and it worked out well.

Honestly, I still stand by the fact that I think Meta Knight is lowkey top tier (if we consider Ryu, Mewtwo, Marth, Mario etc also top tier), but I'm likely biased as our best player is an MK main. Failing that (if we consider those characters top tier again) he's the best high tier character.

---

Tbh, over the weekend, my opinions on the top 20 have shifted to this (loosely ordered):

:4diddy::4bayonetta::4cloud::4sheik::4fox::rosalina::4zss::4sonic::4mewtwo::4mario::4marth::4lucina::4ryu::4metaknight::4corrin::4luigi::4dk::4pikachu::4peach::4bowser:

Going strictly off of characters appearing commonly at top level etc, I don't see any other character deserving of being a top 20 character right now, hence why Bowser and DK are here as they've established themselves as great counterpicks, Honourable mention goes to Lucario for being f***ing dumb (Day got a 30% damage Aura Sphere on Raito... wat) but he's a bit wobbly at times. Also Falcon, he's really darn good too.

I also still think DK >>> Bowser, but as you can see above, both are still quite good IMO.

And honestly, if ESAM pulls his finger out, I could see Pikachu rising up to around the Ryu, Marth area. Does anyone know what control scheme Captain L was using; I assume bidou? His movement was super slick.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Idk about Marth (see Bowserboy's comment), but Diddy is a lot more doable with MK than with Cloud.
You'd be surprised how many bad characters do much better in dubs with the right char/player

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
That top 20 is pretty good looking though I would put Mega Man over Bowser. While DK sees more solo and main useage Bowser is still more Nario bringing him out for counterpicks/change of pace.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Speaking of, can we talk about Mega Man? The character hasn't been or done anything relevant in a while, unless Kameme's doing stuff I haven't heard about......

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Leo went Marth a lot vs ZeRo's Diddy in the past, and usually still does, then switches to Cloud should he feel the need.

To be honest, I wonder if Meta Knight also caught ZeRo by surprise, and whether that also likely had something to help assist with the win. Obviously having multiple characters to surprise people is a real thing and Leo is a prime example. It's been a very long time since Leo used Meta Knight vs ZeRo properly, and it worked out well.

Honestly, I still stand by the fact that I think Meta Knight is lowkey top tier (if we consider Ryu, Mewtwo, Marth, Mario etc also top tier), but I'm likely biased as our best player is an MK main. Failing that (if we consider those characters top tier again) he's the best high tier character.

---

Tbh, over the weekend, my opinions on the top 20 have shifted to this (loosely ordered):

:4diddy::4bayonetta::4cloud::4sheik::4fox::rosalina::4zss::4sonic::4mewtwo::4mario::4marth::4lucina::4ryu::4metaknight::4corrin::4luigi::4dk::4pikachu::4peach::4bowser:

Going strictly off of characters appearing commonly at top level etc, I don't see any other character deserving of being a top 20 character right now, hence why Bowser and DK are here as they've established themselves as great counterpicks, Honourable mention goes to Lucario for being f***ing dumb (Day got a 30% damage Aura Sphere on Raito... wat) but he's a bit wobbly at times. Also Falcon, he's really darn good too.

I also still think DK >>> Bowser, but as you can see above, both are still quite good IMO.

And honestly, if ESAM pulls his finger out, I could see Pikachu rising up to around the Ryu, Marth area. Does anyone know what control scheme Captain L was using; I assume bidou? His movement was super slick.
So who would be in your 21-30 range (honourable mentions included)?

Speaking of, can we talk about Mega Man? The character hasn't been or done anything relevant in a while, unless Kameme's doing stuff I haven't heard about......
Kameme hasn't attended a major tournament since SCR Saga last month, and ScAtt hasn't been active since late July (though he did get a win on Fatality in Gwinnett Brawl Sep 2017, a Georgia weekly). Not much has actually happened since.

Ironically, though, Mega Man is ranked 13th on Das Koopa's results tier list (though this is likely to change and result in him dropping a couple of spots).

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180

---

I can agree with most of that top 20. Bowser's the only one I think I'd question though the only characters I'd personally put in his spot there are the ones you mentioned: Lucario and Falcon. Quite the drop for Villager and Megaman compared to the current tier list. I also find your placement of Fox kinda surprising. Granted, the top tier seems to be segmented with a clear top of the top :4bayonetta::4cloud::4diddy::4sheik: a clear middle :4fox::rosalina::4sonic: and a clear low :4mario::4marth::4mewtwo::4ryu: with opinions of :4zss: usually being quite varied and :4lucina: not being top tier in the eyes of some. I'd personally put Rosa and ZSS over Fox but that's only a 2 placement difference and he'd still be in that middle portion.

Also Y Yonder I checked Kuroganehammer and Luigi is quite average when it comes to ledge attack (27-33 range, attacks on frame 20-22, invulnerable frames 1-17 and faf of 56), ledge neutral getup (15-52 range, invulnerable frames 1-33, faf of 35) and ledge jump where the only outliers with poor ledge jumps are Shulk, Duck Hunt and Palutena. He does have one of the best ledge rolls (invulnerable frames 1-32 with an faf of 50) but fafs for ledge rolls are 50 for every character. Is it his placement or hurtbox size upon becoming vulnerable after a ledge option that makes him more difficult to punish?

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
It was said T got lucky he didn't run into any sheiks at CW
I think he had K9, but I don't know if K9 went Sheik or Diddy. All I heard was T got a f-smash read and KO'd him at 50%, which I find silly.

Speaking of MM, hasn't Scatt been doing rather well with him? He's an awfully rare character these days. Some characters are harder to gauge since they're uncommon.

was that PrinceRaymond
PrinceRamen mah boi

verbatim

Smash Ace
K9 went Sheik, and IIRC T's super early f-smash kill was on Nientono at Umerbura Major.

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
That was a different, I mean I heard in the Discord that K9 died early from a read at CW. Nietono got his shield broken and died at 25% to a rage induced fsmash of destruction.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
I think he had K9, but I don't know if K9 went Sheik or Diddy. All I heard was T got a f-smash read and KO'd him at 50%, which I find silly.

Speaking of MM, hasn't Scatt been doing rather well with him? He's an awfully rare character these days. Some characters are harder to gauge since they're uncommon.

PrinceRamen mah boi
Dying at 50% just screams sheik tbh

Also Scatt has done well to the events he went too but now he's made clear that School>Tournaments which I give props to him for (I've always wondered how smashers handle school stuff and flying/driving across the country. I guess I just suck at time management :facepalm::awesome:)

Btw :4mario:for high tier next tier list?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom