• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

Pako1034

Smash Rookie
Young Link: Yeah, I know, Majora Mask, but still...
Pichu: If only he didn't hurt himself...
Wolf: Yet another Fox semiclone? No, thanks.

@Everyone who said Dr Mario: He deserves to be in, he represents Nintendo's puzzle series.

Neal

Smash Rookie
I'm more concerned with the inclusion of the Link clones in Melee and Brawl. I mean seriously, Young Link and Toon Link??? One link is enough. You might as well have Dark Link. Starfox is kinda pushing it too. I mean, 2 heroes and a villain? Either cut Falco or Wolf because you certainly don't need both.

I mean, having characters in to boost the popularity and awareness of their games is a great idea. If they're unique, there's obviously a reason. Jigglypuff is just because it's a popular Pokemon. I'll admit I don't understand the reason for Pichu's inclusion, but whatever.

ROB and Ice Climbers are totally unknown for me >_> shoulda had Chrono and Lloyd instead.
I agree with that they should have put Chrono and Lloyd in!! I had heard a lot of rumors before brawl came out and a bunch of them were that Chrono would be in it. But when I saw videos of the game, I didn't see Chrono, I was disapointed. but when I saw some other new characters, i was satisfied.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.
I completely agree with you, however, understand that R.O.B. also made in game appearances before Brawl's release. He was scenery in F-Zero GX and he was also a playable character in Mario Kart DS. I believe his appearance makes some sense when you also take into consideration that the R.O.B. accessory being sold with NES units practically saved Nintendo during the video game crash in the 80s. Props to R.O.B.

Ho-oh

Smash Cadet
Pichu makes sense. He's an even more adorable version of Pokemon's mascot.

Jigglypuff makes sense. She's the second most popular pokemon in Japan iirc.

Lucario, dunno. I'm just not really sure why he got in.
Lucario was added because the creators of SSBB tried to balance the game, but Mewtwo was the lowest tier until the last tier list where he was the 3rd lowest character, so they needed to give him some new effects to be able to get better, but then they would need a new pokemon because they couldn't add that many new effects on a character that already exist, and the new pokemon was Lucario because of the movie.

Edit: Tiers r 4 queers *hits myself with wiimote and nunchuck twice*

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, well

Pokémon in general are just put into the game to promote the anime. I think pikachu and pokémon trainer are perfect for the game, but jigglypuff (random pokemon who sings) Lucario (never even heard of him before this game) Pichu (just plain wtf, clone of pikachu, litterally, it's pikachu's baby) Mewtwo (admittidly he had a movie, but still, too many pokémonz!)

My feeling is that they are putting too many characters from one series *CoughPokémonandZeldaandMarioCough* rather than spreading out the characters to other good games. I mean, where is (playable) Issac? Megaman? Bomberman? Animal crossing characters? Mii's? Conker would be lolz :p or doshin the giant?

Basically, any clones, or too many from one game are annoying

justaway12

Smash Master
Hmmm, well

Pokémon in general are just put into the game to promote the anime. I think pikachu and pokémon trainer are perfect for the game, but jigglypuff (random pokemon who sings) Lucario (never even heard of him before this game) Pichu (just plain wtf, clone of pikachu, litterally, it's pikachu's baby) Mewtwo (admittidly he had a movie, but still, too many pokémonz!)

My feeling is that they are putting too many characters from one series *CoughPokémonandZeldaandMarioCough* rather than spreading out the characters to other good games. I mean, where is (playable) Issac? Megaman? Bomberman? Animal crossing characters? Mii's? Conker would be lolz :p or doshin the giant?

× Well every pokemon (other than Pokemon trainer) were obvisosly put in to promote the anime and/or were popular. ×

× The reason Mario, Zelda and Pokemon had most characters are because they sold most games, obviosly the more popular seris will get the most characters. ×

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
.Olimar - They were just looking for some type of new character since Nintendo hasn't put out a new franchise in awhile. Olimar is just sort of a meh character.

.ROB - No one cared about him back when he was a cheesy NES peripheral, no one cares about him now.

.Pokemon Trainer - It just, doesn't..work.

.Game and Watch - See ROB. No one cared about him in Melee, no one cares about him now.

.Wolf - Fox/Falco is fine. We don't need THREE similar characters. Give us a Starfox character with an original moveset.

*Side Note* - I really wish they would have made Lyn/Saki real characters, instead of just ATs.

Jski

Smash Apprentice
I think that 3 should be a max on how many characters should be from one set of video games, 2 good guys 1 "evil".

Steelia

Smash Champion
Honestly, I never thought
"gee I really wish he/she wasn't in this game" rather I would just say "It would've been nice if _______ made it in, but oh well."

I would go
"I really wanted mewtwo to be in there with lucario"
Before I went
"I really wanted Mewtwo to make it INSTEAD of lucario
I hear that. I try to abide by that concept... but the sheer amount of immaturity by overly defensive fans makes it hard to follow it (the infamous Lucario-Mewtwo debate, for example, both of whom I supported from the get-go... now with the former's reputation is slowly being eaten away thanks to his fanbase).

In any case, it's hard to come up with ANYone who shouldn't have been in the Smash Bros. series... They all had their time in the limelight for a reason (yes, even Pichu had popularity at one point, and made for the only decent 2nd Generation representative).

I try to enjoy all the characters, so it's kind of hard to think of who should NEVER have been in. Quite frankly, I'm glad all the ones that have been in have been in. Introduced me to more variety, something I *seriously* lacked.
But, I suppose I'll go with my personal bias and say that if the Ice Climbers, Olimar, and Mr. Game & Watch had been found to be incorporated into the Smash series but never made it... I probably would've never shed a tear. (Again, this is my personal bias, out of just because I simply HATE how annoying they are in battle. Horrible reasoning, I know, but hey, the topic asked. :p )

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm glad there's no Jigglypuff hate. :)

I can't say I like ROB, ZSS, Game and Watch, Marth, or Falco.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Hmmm, well

On the contrary, the only Pokemon who were put in because of game reasons were PT, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. Pikachu and Pichu are only popular due to the anime, and Lucario, while still decently popular in-game, is known mostly for his movie.

iliveanddie

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0361-8837-5420
While there are stupid clones (Pichu and Dr. Mario, even though I loved the Dr.), some clones do make sense. Toon link (who I think should be reverted back to young link simply because I'd like him better in HD) is a faster and more lightweight version of link, with better recovery. His boomerang doesn't pick up items, but unlike Link's, it hurts you on the way back, so you can throw it, grab someone, and damage them while you damage them. As well, his dair makes him go very quickly to the ground (like Sonic), while Link has no speed difference (like Lucas, who was also a good clone).

There are, as well, characters who I believe should never be cloned simply because the moves they have should be retained to that character's fighting style. In other words, I do not think they should make Bowser Jr., who would be a faster, light clone of bowser, simply because I fell that Bowsers moves have a "I'm a heavyweight" ring to it. Would you like to see a mini Bowser blowing fire, and grabbing you and landing you on the ground on his belly? No.

However, I would like to see a Bowser Jr. if they changed up his moves (similar to how Luigi and Mario are very different, or maybe how Lucas and Ness are very different even though similar). It would be nice to see a Bowser Jr. with different special moves. However, I don't think that would happen because the moves would have to be completely different from Bowser's for that to happen, and if they make it dissimilar to Bowser's, it would probably be similar to someone else's, thus also decreasing his popularity (i.e. if instead you made Bowser Jr.'s neutral special a charge-up-then-shoot fireball, which is unlike Bowser's, people may say, "He's copying Samus and Lucario.").

Anyway, with that said, here are my 5 people who should be removed (the order means nothing. Also, sorry I couldn't think of five):
1. Falco
2 heroes and a villain, as said before, is too much if they are all the same. Get rid of Falco and make Wolf's blaster a little faster. Done. As for the whole down special, I never like the "kick the reflector" idea. Also, Wolf and Fox look cooler, and Falco doesn't meet the standards his fellow Starfox Series players have created.

2. Pichu
No different from Pikachu. Even though the Toon Link/Link separation is a good idea, Pichu was nearly the same as Pikachu, so there was nearly no difference.

3. Lucario
I would be happier if they simply completely changed Mewtwo. I don't know why, but I'd rather have Mewtwo than Lucario simply because Lucario, in his movie, was good. However, Mewtwo sort of have this little 'epic' vibe to his power. I'm alone on this one, but I'm fine with that.

4. Roy
Like the Bowser Jr. and Bowser "I'm a heavyweight" argument, I think the moves Marth has should be retained to a fast lightweight. However, Ike was an extremely good idea.

Characters to be changed:
Wolf. Please see the Falco spot above.

Ganondorf. I don't mind that they made a clone of Captain Falcon: I'm fine with a heavier version of him. But to me, they are too similar to be from different games. I think they should change his down special a little bit, to more fit the fact that he is the king of evil who wants to kidnap Zelda, not the king of evil from medieval times driving a race car.

Zero Suit Samus. The thing I want changed is her side special, and her up special. Her up special should go diagonally, and her side be should be different, or else she would be too plain. Maybe a lunge-kick, or a charge-shot that damages more and charges more, like Samus's neutral special.

Other characters of notice:
Dr. Mario. I know he's a joke, but I would like him back. I think he should have replaced Jigglypuff in being one of the three who you unlock at the end of SSE, and Jiggly should have had some sort of contribution.

Diddy Kong. I know I suck with him, but you do have to admit that his neutral special does very little damage to be useful, and his down special just sucks. I do encourage people to correct me and tell me better ways to use him; I would welcome that and use those techniques. Thank-you in advance.

EDIT: Disregard the Diddy Kong notice. It's just me.

King Dedede. His neutral special should do more damage, considering the fact that they completely sacrificed the whole swallowing idea (which was a good thing, don't take that the wrong way).

Sorry if my post was a little long.

EDIT:
I hear that. I try to abide by that concept... but the sheer amount of immaturity by overly defensive fans makes it hard to follow it (the infamous Lucario-Mewtwo debate, for example, both of whom I supported from the get-go... now with the former's reputation is slowly being eaten away thanks to his fanbase).

In any case, it's hard to come up with ANYone who shouldn't have been in the Smash Bros. series... They all had their time in the limelight for a reason (yes, even Pichu had popularity at one point, and made for the only decent 2nd Generation representative).

I try to enjoy all the characters, so it's kind of hard to think of who should NEVER have been in. Quite frankly, I'm glad all the ones that have been in have been in. Introduced me to more variety, something I *seriously* lacked.
You're right. It is very hard to find a character to remove because they are all unique, both the fighter's styles and the player's styles. I take back the Mewtwo v. Lucario think I said, they should both be in.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong. I know I suck with him, but you do have to admit that his neutral correct does very little damage to be useful, and his down special just sucks. I do encourage people to correct me and tell me better ways to use him; I would welcome that and use those techniques. Thank-you in advance.
Wow, hold on a moment there, 'iliveanddie,' how much weed have you been smoking today?

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Diddy Kong. I know I suck with him, but you do have to admit that his neutral correct does very little damage to be useful, and his down special just sucks. I do encourage people to correct me and tell me better ways to use him; I would welcome that and use those techniques. Thank-you in advance.
wait what? Diddy's down special is basically his entire playstyle. that may be why you suck with him.

D

Deleted member

I wanted to shoot someone when ROB was announced. He was a useless stupid hunk of plastic in 1988 and two decades later, not much has changed.

Ice Climbers- Wow, you were in a mediocre mountain climbing game in 1985. Can't you think of anyone better than THIS?

Pichu- I'm not explaining.

Falco/Wolf- One clone is more than enough.

There's no one else I really object to.

Kinsei_Kensei

Smash Apprentice
Oddly enough, I think every character in Brawl deserved and earned there spots...

HOWEVER, in Melee, the clones (minus half of Mario's brother what's-his-face and the Triforce of Power) did not fly well with me....

Shadia

Smash Cadet
1 Pichu - do really have to say why?
2 all the other clones; Roy, Dr Mario, young link.. etc.
3 mewtew (is that his name?) from melee. he was just one more Pokemon they stuck in the game.
4 Lucario - see #3

I like all the other characters ^^

Narigo1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-2763-4068
jigglypuff
young link
ganondorf(he just copy of falcon)
Dr.Mario
Pichu

Ninjaneos

Smash Cadet
i don't understand Nintendo putting old classic characters that a bunch of children or teens don't know about into the game. I think Pit, Rob and the Ice climbers could've been replaced with something that is present such as Shadow the hedgehog or something like that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1 Pichu - do really have to say why?
2 all the other clones; Roy, Dr Mario, young link.. ect.
3 mewtew (is that his name?) from melee. he was just one more Pokemon they stuck in the game.
4 Lucario - see #3

I like all the other characters ^^
1) Pichu also had his own movie, albeit, with also Pikachu, and could easily use a Pikachu based moveset. For all purpouses, he was fine to add.
2) Roy had a good reason for getting in, as he was advertisement. I agree with the rest, save Pichu as mentioned above. Ganondorf should've been initially changed in Brawl, instead of having a few more differences.
3) He's not just one more Pokemon, he's the first Pokemon that was canonically considered evil(or corrupted), is quite literally a boss in the games, and had two movies under his belt. Only Pikachu of the other monsters can beat that.
4) This one I actually agree with, to an extent. He was no legendary, but was widely popular, and also was the first fighting-type pokemon to actually make it in Smash.

I find it funny that you didn't say anything about Jigglypuff, heh.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
i don't understand Nintendo putting old classic characters that a bunch of children or teens don't know about into the game. I think Pit, Rob and the Ice climbers could've been replaced with something that is present such as Shadow the hedgehog or something like that.
you gotta appreciate old school nintendo though. besides, if they add any other sonic characters, it should be knuckles. shadow is the laughing stock of the sonic series, why add that?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
you gotta appreciate old school nintendo though. besides, if they add any other sonic characters, it should be knuckles. shadow is the laughing stock of the sonic series, why add that?
Charmy Bee is the laughing stock, not Shadow. Shadow's the butt monkey of the series, though. Well, the fan series. Chris is just as bad as Charmy, if not worse.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I completely agree with you, however, understand that R.O.B. also made in game appearances before Brawl's release. He was scenery in F-Zero GX and he was also a playable character in Mario Kart DS. I believe his appearance makes some sense when you also take into consideration that the R.O.B. accessory being sold with NES units practically saved Nintendo during the video game crash in the 80s. Props to R.O.B.
This still doesn't deal with the fact that he first appeared as a peripheral, and not as a video game character. Not to mention his games sucked badly. So the seven-year-olds that got them tossed them out in favor of good games like Mario Bros., which is still a fun two player game to this day. ROB made it okay to buy video games again, but if Mario hadn't been around, ROB would have just killed games off again.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Roy was awesome, even if he was just a clone...
This should always have stayed a Nintendo-only game...
1- Sonic
2- Snake
3- R.O.B. (He shouldn't be in Mario Kart, either)
4- Lucario (shoulda kept Mewtwo)
5- Pichu
at least with Falco* he was a characetr who was an actually cool addition.
*(In Melee, Don't even try to say Wolf and Falco are just like Fox in Brawl, cause that's like saying Ness and Lucas are the same, the only thing relatively close to being the same are their B-moves, and even those differ, I thought most people had realized this by now)

Shadia

Smash Cadet
1) Pichu also had his own movie, albeit, with also Pikachu, and could easily use a Pikachu based moveset. For all purpouses, he was fine to add.
2) Roy had a good reason for getting in, as he was advertisement. I agree with the rest, save Pichu as mentioned above. Ganondorf should've been initially changed in Brawl, instead of having a few more differences.
3) He's not just one more Pokemon, he's the first Pokemon that was canonically considered evil(or corrupted), is quite literally a boss in the games, and had two movies under his belt. Only Pikachu of the other monsters can beat that.
4) This one I actually agree with, to an extent. He was no legendary, but was widely popular, and also was the first fighting-type pokemon to actually make it in Smash.

I find it funny that you didn't say anything about Jigglypuff, heh.
I still don't agree that pichu should have been added in, he just seems like a pikachu that isn't any good. maybe if they changed up his moves and made him a over all better character then yes, I think he would have been fine.
and don't get me wrong, I really liked Roy. it just really got under my skin how with him and the other clones, that they were just kinda half-heartedly made up at the last second.
I stand corrected about mewtew, I wasn't aware of how legendary he was/is. so yes, he did earn his place in melee :p
lol I didn't say anything about jigglypuff because isn't she one of the most popular pokemon out there?

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff deserves her spot in all of the SSB games. Not only is she one of the most well-known pokemon but she has also consistently been a good character. Yeah, in Brawl they changed her up a bit (made her a bit slower and less damaging) but when you actually get to know how to play her, she can do quite a bit of pain. Plus, with Yoshi and MK (but it's MK. Whatever), her aerial game is one of the best.

I thought that pichu was a waste of character in Melee. I do think that they are trying to add too many pokemon characters. And now, on top of picachu, you have pokemon trainer and lucario. If they were going to do a pokemon trainer idea, they should have added picachu into that. Lucario isn't a bad character, but I think they should have stuck with Mewtwo if they wanted that type of character/pokemon. Mewtwo was much more of a beast. Or at least in Melee he was.

And I'm almost tempted to say that they should have kicked Samus when they added ZSS... But I still know a few good NSS so I can't. :p

CasusLuciferi

Smash Rookie
Roy was awesome, even if he was just a clone...
This should always have stayed a Nintendo-only game...
1- Sonic
2- Snake
3- R.O.B. (He shouldn't be in Mario Kart, either)
4- Lucario (shoulda kept Mewtwo)
5- Pichu
at least with Falco* he was a characetr who was an actually cool addition.
*(In Melee, Don't even try to say Wolf and Falco are just like Fox in Brawl, cause that's like saying Ness and Lucas are the same, the only thing relatively close to being the same are their B-moves, and even those differ, I thought most people had realized this by now)
don't forget Metal Gear was a nintendo game :B

plus come on, snake is a bad *** /fanboyism

in all actuality i dont know what reason he would have been put in the game. no point in hyping a sony game lol

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Hmmm, well

Issac would have been cool. Maybe megaman. But none of the others please. Zelda was a good addition to the game too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmmm, well

I agree that Pokemon TECHNICALLY has too many characters, with an overall of 7(though some may see it as 4, but still). The Mario series has 4 in this game, so your statement is false. Yoshi doesn't count as he's his own series for the purpouse of this game, as is DK and Diddy, and Wario as well. Zelda still has 5 characters. I would've taken out Sheik to even it out(IMO). No other series has 4, but a fair ammount have 3, a decent ammount of two, with very few one-character-series-representatives(Mr.GAW, Ice Climbers(though they can be seen as two technically), Captain Olimar, Pit, Sonic, Snake, and Captain Falcon).

Considering how many pokemon there are, being close to how many Mario monsters that exist, if not more, finding some important characters is tough. They often have to look to the anime and movies, since the games don't always portray them as anything special. Mostly, this applies to Jigglypuff, as Lucario is atleast a gym pokemon...but so is Geodude, so nevermind. Mewtwo is both a boss in the anime(for the most part) and in the games. How is he considered "but still"? I can understand Pichu complainers, but the rest are perfectly fine, even Lucario.

Energy Whip

Smash Cadet
I would honestly say...... R.O.B because he is easy to beat as Level 9 and he's crap to be and go against and his final smash was really rubbish aswell.

James1119

Smash Cadet
I don't really like the addition of Lucario.. There are just too many Pokemon now in the game.. His moves are pretty bad too.. In my opinion that is.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I would honestly say...... R.O.B because he is easy to beat as Level 9 and he's crap to be and go against and his final smash was really rubbish aswell.
You give pretty bad reasons as to why you don't like ROB. Nobody cares about level 9's, and nobody good uses items.

I don't really like the addition of Lucario.. There are just too many Pokemon now in the game.. His moves are pretty bad too.. In my opinion that is.
Have you ever learned how to use Lucario? I mean, most people like you just pick your favorite character, or the one with a move you like. There's more to Lucario than you know, there really isn't a bad character in this game. There's just characters that are 10 times better.

Top Bottom