• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
NONE of that matters. It's the actual moves that count. The fact that he shoots pills instead of fireballs, well, they still shoot the same and stuff. He was the worst clone ever.
More like the best character that seemingly plays like another character.
Call him a clone if you'd like, but you're really not seeing the big picture here.

Exactly why is it a bad thing that he's in Melee?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Dr. Mario was only considered redeemable because of his spot on the tier, aka useable. No one is arguing that Mario and Doc had difference, we were just arguing he was a terrible clone. On the most basic level is is Mario in a Doctor outfit.

Edit: You're right Straked, I wouldn't call it a bad thing per say. It's not like he got in over some other character.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
If anything, I say that clones shouldn't have been in the series, the fact that people liked them and those characters got cut was really bad. At best, some of those other characters could of been costume changes like Peach and Daisy (excluding Ganondorf and CF, IDK about the young and toon link thing)

tgrove69

Smash Cadet
Ok, so Dr. Mario was a clone of Mario. That doesn't make him a bad character. Dr.Mario was pretty good.

breegullbeak

Smash Rookie
I have been a die-hard fan of the Smash Bros series since 2002 when my mom bought me an N64 W/ SSB64 and Super Mario 64. Over the years, I played Melee and Brawl too. But the some of the characters in the games seemed pointless to me. Here are my 5 picks for characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros. series. Note that some were omitted from Brawl.

1.Pichu: I have always been a Pokemon fan, but Pichu's appearance in Melee confuses me to this day. First off, I think the only reason he was included was to promote the anime. Second, his moves hurt him!!! Overall, I believe him to be a useless character, and I'm glad he was taken out of brawl.

2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.

3. Roy: *Raises flame shield*. Now hear me out. What was the point of Roy? To promote his new game? Fair point, but keep in mind that this was a JAPAN-ONLY game. While, I'm glad that he and Marth brought Fire EMblem to our shores, I still scratch my head over Roy's appearance.

4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.

5.Jigglypuff: Now Jigglypuff has been around since the SSB64, but IMO, she was
also added to the popularity of the Pokemon anime. If the anime never existed, do you think that she would still be playable? Probably not.
Feel free to add your own picks for 5 characters that should never have been in the Smash Bros series.

Theres no exuse for Pichu.
Ice climbers I can under stand but there moves suck.
Roy is a better than Marth. I hate Marth because he looks like a girl and every one plays as him.
R.O.B should of been an assist trophy.
Pikacu was popular from anime to. I hate the Anime charecter but hes my main on brawl. Jigglypuff is the same deal. Just because it's popular in anime dosen't mean it represents the pokemon world. I'll actully take Magicarp over Jigglypuff.:laugh:

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't think Pichu should have been in, same with Jigglypuff. I don't mind having any retro characters like IC, ROB, or G&W thought because they are showing that they may be old characters but they still pwn. I prefer Marth over Roy any day but you still gotta have Roy in there lol (biased opinion, I love Fire Emblem games) :laugh:

But the characters I think shouldn't be in are

Pichu
Dr. Mario (he's not a real doctor don't let him touch you!!)
Jiggs
Dedede (why the heck would you want to play as him seriously!)
Yoshi (Way to many mario bros. characters get the one you ride on out)
Olimar (Why would you want to play as him either? I thought Pikmin was a stupid game)
Toon Link (BRING BACK YOUNG LINK NAO!!)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The original Smash Bros. for the N64 was supposed to be a Japan-only release. Next to Mario, Pokemon is the second-best selling franchise. It made only sense Smash 64 had 1 character for each game series, except the two biggest ones, which were represented by Mario and Luigi, as well as Pikachu and Jigglypuff, two Pokémon which were chosen to be the series' mascots (in Japan, mainly).

Dedede (why the heck would you want to play as him seriously!)
Dedede is, right after Kirby, the most famous character out of the Kirby series. Meta Knight is not as famous, and Dedede has been in pretty much every Kirby game to date. He is the main villain and arch-enemy of Kirby. Besides, although I can't play with him in Brawl, I was very happy to finally see Dedede be in Smash.

No. I think there are even too little Mario characters in Brawl. Besides, Yoshi does not actively represent the Mario series (although representing them too), but rather his own very successful series, which got its second game prior to Smash 64's release. Not to mention that Yoshi is one of the most popular video game characters, especially in Japan, which was the only country Smash was supposed to be released in in the first place.

Olimar (Why would you want to play as him either? I thought Pikmin was a stupid game)
That you didn't like the games are not a valid argument. Your opinion is not fact. I love playing as Olimar and was surprised yet happy to see him as a newcomer in Brawl. Pikmin is a great game, and perfectly represents the newer game franchises Nintendo has created after Melee's release back in 2001. He also has a very unique way of gameplay, which also speaks a lot for his inclusion.

Toon Link (BRING BACK YOUNG LINK NAO!!)
Toon Link is Young Link. He's Young Link with updated graphics and a new name, just like regular Link was updated to Twilight Princess. Besides, the Melee Young Link only represented 1 1/2 game (the first half of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask), while Toon Link represents far more games, including the original NES and SNES games, as well as the GBA games, and all games in the Celshading style, meaning Wind Waker and everything after WW.

Splice

Smash Hero
1. Pichu ('nuff said)
2. Jigglypuff (Fair enough, Jigglypuff in 64, but it should've been changed in Melee, )
3. R.O.B (I'm glad he's in it, he's fun as, just, he's kind of irrelevent, though)
4. Toon Link (Just because I wanted Midna to be a playable character instead)
5. Ness (Should have been changed to Ninten so they had a character from every Earthbound/Mother)

Also, anyone who says Olimar shouldn't have been in it know nothing.
Pikmin is new, has a large fanbase, and a lot of people wanted him to be in it,
And when he was, I'm sure a lot of people were very happy. And the way
He plays, with the Pikmin, makes him a different experience.

TheWhiteTiger

Smash Rookie
I think a lot of the characters are miss placed.

R.O.B - Very random, it was a terrible old accessory, there are still many other characters they could have used, R.O.B was just well a stupid choice imo. Although he is a good and fun character to play with.
Young/Toon link - Utterly pointless clones, even if they are not the same link they are still link >.<, one is enough.
Ganondorf - A good character choice but give him his own moveset >.<. Why have two characters with the save moveset? i thought they tried to fix that after melee xD.
Pichu - Random clone, terrible character, never should have been there.
Lucario - I don't understand why he needed to replace mewtwo, they could have edited him.
Dr mario - pointless, one mario is enough.
Falco(mainly in melee) - clone, but fixed for brawl, they could have done the same to ganon.
Ike(i know nothing of the emblem series) - why not edit roy?
Any other clones i have missed xD.

Quite a lot i disagree on there lol.

Well that's my opinion, bash me if you like XD.

James1119

Smash Cadet
I main Toon Link, but I do agree that he is pretty much a stupid clone. I just always hated how slow regular Link is and how he can barely jump, so when I was more of an amateur and the game, I used Toon Link and now I'm decent with him.

Flan

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B - Very random, it was a terrible old accessory, there are still many other characters they could have used, R.O.B was just well a stupid choice imo. Although he is a good and fun character to play with.
Young/Toon link - Utterly pointless clones, even if they are not the same link they are still link >.<, one is enough.
Ganondorf - A good character choice but give him his own moveset >.<. Why have two characters with the save moveset? i thought they tried to fix that after melee xD.
Pichu - Random clone, terrible character, never should have been there.
Lucario - I don't understand why he needed to replace mewtwo, they could have edited him.
Dr mario - pointless, one mario is enough.
Falco(mainly in melee) - clone, but fixed for brawl, they could have done the same to ganon.
Ike(i know nothing of the emblem series) - why not edit roy?
Any other clones i have missed xD.
R.O.B was an amazing NES accessory and he is a very popular character in the Mario series now. He deserved the spot and his SSE appearance was touching.

Young/Toon Link are agruable as they are somewhat clones.

Ganondorf has a very different moveset set in Brawl from Melee. They can't competely change his moveset from one game to another but they changed him enough that he is not a Falcon clone.

Pichu is an awesome character that is much much cooler character than Pikachu. Nuff said.

Lucario is gay. Mewtwo is overrated.

Dr. Mario should have been an alternate costume although he did have his own game.

Falco, Fox, and Wolf are too similar characters. Wolf's moveset is ******** and no one should fight with such a terrible moveset. (He looks gay also).

Ike > Roy. Ike had two games which were big successes. Although Ike shouldn't be slow, he has a godly fast mercenary for that matter. and Aether should not have been a Up-B (what were they thinking.

Also, TOO MANY MARIO CHARACTERS! Mario, Luigi and Yoshi are ok but Bowser and Peach were pretty much useless. Peach's moveset is also more random than Captain Falcon's.

Here is my list:
1. Lucario
2. Sonic
3. Lucas
4. Peach
5. Zero Suit Samus

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B was an amazing NES accessory and he is a very popular character in the Mario series now. He deserved the spot and his SSE appearance was touching.

Fail

Young/Toon Link are agruable as they are somewhat clones.

Agreed

Ganondorf has a very different moveset set in Brawl from Melee. They can't competely change his moveset from one game to another but they changed him enough that he is not a Falcon clone.

Yes they can. r u high?

Pichu is an awesome character that is much much cooler character than Pikachu. Nuff said.

Fail

Lucario is gay. Mewtwo is overrated.

EPIC FAIL

Dr. Mario should have been an alternate costume although he did have his own game.

agreed

Falco, Fox, and Wolf are too similar characters. Wolf's moveset is ******** and no one should fight with such a terrible moveset. (He looks gay also).

Fail

Ike > Roy. Ike had two games which were big successes. Although Ike shouldn't be slow, he has a godly fast mercenary for that matter. and Aether should not have been a Up-B (what were they thinking.

Also, TOO MANY MARIO CHARACTERS! Mario, Luigi and Yoshi are ok but Bowser and Peach were pretty much useless. Peach's moveset is also more random than Captain Falcon's.

EPIC FAIL! We hardly have any villians and you say Bowser is useless? I guess Ganondorf is useless. So is D3.

Here is my list:
1. Lucario
2. Sonic
3. Lucas
4. Peach
5. Zero Suit Samus
Seriously, what are you smoking?

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
R.O.B makes sense, ask why they put him in Mario Kart DS, if anything.
Yoshi isn't a Mario character. He first appeared in some insanely unpopular puzzle game I forgot the name of.

Yoshi and Wario aren't Mario characters people, they even have their own in-game series logos.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B makes sense, ask why they put him in Mario Kart DS, if anything.

Yoshi isn't a Mario character. He first appeared in some insanely unpopular puzzle game I forgot the name of.

Yoshi and Wario aren't Mario characters people, they even have their own in-game series logos.
i thought yoshi first appeared in super mario world.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
sonic (get your dying franchise out of here plx sega)
rob, because he's my least favorite thing ever
lucas. they should have added someone from earthbound, like jeff or paula
zelda, because sheik's worst move is down b
ike. lyn eliwood or hector would have been cooler

Dr When

Smash Rookie
your argument that the fire Emblem characters shouldn't be included because they were Japanese only launches at the time is ridiculous because that is the country they were made in

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
1. Wolf - Seriously? I mean, really? Look, I'm all for roster diversity, but they could have at least added a character from the Star Fox series that has been a long-standing contributor. Why not Peppy or Slippy? Hell, even Krystal makes more sense and I hate her.

2. Pichu - Removing him from the Smash Bros. roster was perhaps one of Sakurai's most intelligent decisions. A clone of Pikachu that is worse in every way and hurts itself? And on top of that, I'm not sure I support the idea of adding any more Pokemon to the game. The game is flooded with them as it is, which brings us to...

3. Lucario - I know that furries enjoy killing people with this guy over wifi (no, seriously, you're not good at the game), but he is probably the worst addition to the series ever. He was in a poor anime movie (what anime isn't poor, though?). Mewtwo was iconic to Pokemon and he was removed, but this loser was put in his place? Um.

4. Toon Link - Do I even have to explain this one? It's Link, in toon form! Some compelling ish that is.

5. Ice Climbers - 100% agree with the OP. When the Ice Climbers were announced as a playable character in SSBM, I had to Google Search them to figure out who the hell they were. There are dozens of iconic Nintendo characters that are instantly recognizable, even old school ones (Pit, for instance) and we get these clowns. Nice.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
1. Wolf - Seriously? I mean, really? Look, I'm all for roster diversity, but they could have at least added a character from the Star Fox series that has been a long-standing contributor. Why not Peppy or Slippy? Hell, even Krystal makes more sense and I hate her.
First of all, I love your nick... but anyway...
Wolf makes perfect sense, being in every game but the original SNES game and Adventures (which wasn't a Star Fox game to begin with...), and Fox' rival. In fact, he makes more sense than a whiny mechanic or an old man or a character who only has been added in the later half of the series and doesn't do much but wobbling her boobs.

2. Pichu - Removing him from the Smash Bros. roster was perhaps one of Sakurai's most intelligent decisions. A clone of Pikachu that is worse in every way and hurts itself? And on top of that, I'm not sure I support the idea of adding any more Pokemon to the game. The game is flooded with them as it is, which brings us to...
Pichu was intended to be bad. He was a joke character. That concept isn't new. Just like with women being introduced to fighting games by that series first, Street Fighter was the one that came up with joke fighters that were bad on purpose. Maybe Dan Hibiki rings a bell, should you be familiar with the series. Pichu also represented the Pokemon generation that was current back at Melee's release, which was the second generation.

3. Lucario - I know that furries enjoy killing people with this guy over wifi (no, seriously, you're not good at the game), but he is probably the worst addition to the series ever. He was in a poor anime movie (what anime isn't poor, though?). Mewtwo was iconic to Pokemon and he was removed, but this loser was put in his place? Um.
Lucario's addition has nothing to do with furries, and, by the way, there are very good and respected players here on SWF that also are furries. And not every Lucario player is bad, and neither every Lucario player is a furry. I love how people on the internet take every opportunity to bash furries. It's getting annoying.
But Lucario was mainly added for representing the current, 4th Pokemon generation, for which he is the icon and most popular Pokemon (I haven't followed the series at all since the first generation and even know this guy myself, so that says something).

Mewtwo, by the way, was replaced by Sonic. Not Lucario.

4. Toon Link - Do I even have to explain this one? It's Link, in toon form! Some compelling ish that is.
Toon Link stands for what Young Link stood for in Melee: The "young"/toon subseries of the Zelda games. Sakurai himself stated the importance of two Links in Smash Bros., if I recall correctly. There are several timelines in the Zelda series, and the Toon subseries has currently more games than the "mature" one. Going from Ocarina of Time that started the whole timeline split, only Twilight Princess follows the story of older Link, while every other game follows the younger Link's story. Not too sure about the GBA games.

5. Ice Climbers - 100% agree with the OP. When the Ice Climbers were announced as a playable character in SSBM, I had to Google Search them to figure out who the hell they were. There are dozens of iconic Nintendo characters that are instantly recognizable, even old school ones (Pit, for instance) and we get these clowns. Nice.
I almost cried in happiness and nostalgia when I saw the Ice Climbers in Melee. Besides, they add a very interesting gameplay style to the Smash series: a character compelled of two characters with the same moveset simultaneously in the fight. This is a mechanic that Smash hasn't seen in any other form so far. Not to mention that Sakurai likes them. I think they are a great addition to the roster.

I love how almost nobody mentions Roy. I mean, he was in there for advertisment for a game that was only released in Japan... Oh right, he has t3h ph1r3 and is from a "cool" series. Of course. How could I forget that. I can see why he was put in but I think the choice of him was pretty unnecessary in the first place. So... Roy is imo the only character who never should've been in Smash.

Other than that, I am pretty content with every game's roster and think the choices are clear and understandable by the point of view from a developer in Japan, and not a Western gamer who grinds his ***** over Twilight Princess and Final Fantasy.

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
Toon Link stands for what Young Link stood for in Melee: The "young"/toon subseries of the Zelda games. Sakurai himself stated the importance of two Links in Smash Bros., if I recall correctly. There are several timelines in the Zelda series, and the Toon subseries has currently more games than the "mature" one. Going from Ocarina of Time that started the whole timeline split, only Twilight Princess follows the story of older Link, while every other game follows the younger Link's story. Not too sure about the GBA games.

I almost cried in happiness and nostalgia when I saw the Ice Climbers in Melee. Besides, they add a very interesting gameplay style to the Smash series: a character compelled of two characters with the same moveset simultaneously in the fight. This is a mechanic that Smash hasn't seen in any other form so far. Not to mention that Sakurai likes them. I think they are a great addition to the roster.

I love how almost nobody mentions Roy. I mean, he was in there for advertisment for a game that was only released in Japan... Oh right, he has t3h ph1r3 and is from a "cool" series. Of course. How could I forget that. I can see why he was put in but I think the choice of him was pretty unnecessary in the first place. So... Roy is imo the only character who never should've been in Smash.

Other than that, I am pretty content with every game's roster and think the choices are clear and understandable by the point of view from a developer in Japan, and not a Western gamer who grinds his ***** over Twilight Princess and Final Fantasy.
first of all... TL is a clone of link end of story, clones were supposed to be ****in done son (yes there are other clones but TL is THE WORST)

ice climbers and Mr.gw WERE ANNOUNCED as not coming back to brawl.. melee they were cool but i see no point for them being in brawl, they took spots of characters who COULD have been in brawl.

roy, should be in 100 percent, sakurai obviously knew that marths sexuality would have ruined melee with out a counterbalance from his own series as you can see ike is a good replacement, but brawls kinda shaky still

also, i almost died laughing at the final fantasy remark, its a great series but it really doesnt belong in brawl...

Captain Falcon says say no to choking your falcon to final fantasy

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
first of all... TL is a clone of link end of story, clones were supposed to be ****in done son (yes there are other clones but TL is THE WORST)

ice climbers and Mr.gw WERE ANNOUNCED as not coming back to brawl.. melee they were cool but i see no point for them being in brawl, they took spots of characters who COULD have been in brawl.
Then please go play Toon Link like regular Link and see if you succeed.

I want proof of that claim that the Ice Climbers and GaW were announced to be scrapped, please. I've heard that so much already, but I've never seen any real proof for it to be backed up.

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
Then please go play Toon Link like regular Link and see if you succeed.

I want proof of that claim that the Ice Climbers and GaW were announced to be scrapped, please. I've heard that so much already, but I've never seen any real proof for it to be backed up.
ill look for the magazine <.< but its pretty old (2-3 yrs) but it was a issue of nintendo power that they said they wouldnt be returning...

also, the TL>link it works pretty decently only really diff thing is the boomerwrang and the spike and gravity.

he's also the worst clone becuase it even SAYS LINK in his name.... none of the other clones beside dr.mario (whos not in brawl) shares the name of their clone

Flan

Smash Journeyman
1. I already did that one (Epic Robotic Operating Buddies)
2. Recognized Game and should be in one (without his gay high pitched yelp)
3. Pikmin was good, and Pikimin would have been better alone (but Olimar makes sense)
4. Fox. Fox. Fox. WTF Fox is the main character in a huge game series. If you say Fox, then you have to put Falco and Wolf too. Which I highly doubt.
5. Toon Link is fair but I also agree with Spadefox that two links are ok.

GTFO you noob. 3 posts = phailure.

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman

Acually the whole "toon series" follows the Zelda storyline, its just like very far in the future. Incase you never played Wind Waker, when you go to get the master sword you go down under the water to Hyrule Castle. Which pretty much hints at that the entire hyrule world had been flooded. So in a way the toon games are a continuation of the whole game. ALso to get more technical, Majora's Mask pretty much came after Ocarina of Time. Link even has the Ocarina of TIme in Majora's Mask so it came after OoT.

Javier78

Smash Apprentice
ill look for the magazine <.< but its pretty old (2-3 yrs) but it was a issue of nintendo power that they said they wouldnt be returning...
That was a rumor started by some idiot who thought Sakurai appeared on a radio talk show. It turns out the radio talk show didn't even exist.

Makes me glad, I main the two eskimos.

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
Ive got more than five. There were a lot that weren't too suitable for the smash bros. seriese.

Dr. Mario-
He wasnt really much of a popular character when he came out. He was a kind of port for tetris and all but didnt bring too much attention. It was a good game but he shouldnt have been included in smash bros.

Pichu-
Very unsuitable. It almost seems melee was desperate for a pikachu clone. The only thing they could do to to mix it up was to make pichu hurt itself XD. It was exactly the same moves implemented into another character.

Young/Toon link-
Once again just another random character to fill in a space. It would be nice if Nintendo would find some other good Legend of Zelda characters such as skull kid or midna to mix it up and add more variety. Im just coming up with random characters. TLOZ was a big part in Nintendo's success so they should expand more in that.

Roy/Marth-
They were both good characters but the fire emblem series wasnt popular enough to throw in two characters at once. It would have made more sense to put in one of them in smash bros and then, in the next series, add more characters from the series. Maybe it could even make it into one of the three character section of smash bros like the kirby characters.

Jigglypuff-
This pretty much speaks for itself. Jiggs was one of the more known characters in the pokemon series but it was mostly known for its, how do I put this lightly, looserness XD. Jiggs is no doubt one of the most weak and pointless characters and is rarely talked about in the smash community. Not the best character to add into the mix.

Lucario/Mewtwo-
Mewtwo was a random character and lucario was just a replacement for him. Just another charscter(s) to take up a space. Mewtwo, I dont know why nintendo brought him in here but they did and you just have to live with it. And like I said, lucario was just made as a backup for him.

Wolf-
Um... what? Wolf was a completely random character added from Star fox. I cant really say much but why? He was kind of a main character in the game but definitely not enough to be it in brawl.

R.O.B.-
Completely random. When the heck did anyone take notice of rob in the nintendo series? Nintendo might have just got bored or was somoking something but I dont know. Not at all right for the smash bros series.

Even though some characters are unsuitable I think it is great that there is a variety of characters to choose from. I would rarely ever ask for a character to be taken out I just wonder why some characters were added in.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Lucario/Mewtwo-
Mewtwo was a random character and lucario was just a replacement for him. Just another charscter(s) to take up a space. Mewtwo, I dont know why nintendo brought him in here but they did and you just have to live with it. And like I said, lucario was just made as a backup for him.

Yeah, being a final boss in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 (with Ho-oh and Lugia with him), appearing in two movies and a special event (Mastermind of the Mirage Pokemon), and used to be THE strongest pokemon in the world doesn't make you a recognizable character.(/sarcasm)

Lucario I agree with.

Top Bottom