• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5-player mode in SSBB4?

Airrider

Smash Apprentice
Could this be done? 4 people using Pro Controllers and one using the gamepad. Dunno if the game would benefit from it, but it would be rather interesting. Or maybe like in NSMBU.: a fifth player could drop items and stuff (and troll).

:phone:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I could definitely see it happening. I would imagine something similar to Super Mario Wii U where you could possibly spawn temporary platforms or items at certain locations in the stage. (Would be quite excessive but an idea nonetheless.)

Or we could see some kind of vault/storage system that could be incorporated into the touchpad in some type of story mode where you can store a certain number of items and use them anytime/beginning of the stage (Think Super Mario World/3).

Or perhaps we could see certain stages that can be 'controlled' by the touchpad such as being shifted, breaking certain platforms, triggering traps, or even presenting obstacles at the user's whim (Kind of like the WarioWare stage except with control of what kind of events and such you want to incorporate or a Picto-Chat stage where the user can draw whatever he/she feels like.)

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Could this be done? 4 people using Pro Controllers and one using the gamepad. Dunno if the game would benefit from it, but it would be rather interesting. Or maybe like in NSMBU.: a fifth player could drop items and stuff (and troll).

:phone:
I thought of that too. It might work like in Pacman Versus (I want it for Wii U besides), but reversely: The player reaching the last place in the match will get the gamepad in the next match.

Spire

III
BRoomer
4 players control characters, 5th player controls the stage. Calling it.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
How would the stage-player win? It would have to be a specialized mode like "survive" or get the most knock outs. Of course, they could have it so the gamepad player plays without being able to "win", but it'd be more exciting and more motivating for said player if he or she could overcome the other four.

Also, it would be kind of plain and without definition if you were simply controlling the stage. The gamepad player should probably be represented either by like the story-line generic enemies, Miis, and/or some evil individual like the evil Monita in Nintendo Land.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
How would the stage-player win? It would have to be a specialized mode like "survive" or get the most knock outs. Of course, they could have it so the gamepad player plays without being able to "win", but it'd be more exciting and more motivating for said player if he or she could overcome the other four.

Also, it would be kind of plain and without definition if you were simply controlling the stage. The gamepad player should probably be represented either by like the story-line generic enemies, Miis, and/or some evil individual like the evil Monita in Nintendo Land.
Stage player doesn't have to win, it could just be for fun.

Fun Fact: Wii supports 8 player mode via Gamecube controllers + Wii Remotes but very few games (eg. Bomberman) use them.

Brawl and Melee engine both support 6 players (multi-man Melee), somebody worked on a code that would let a 5th player control through USB Gecko for Brawl (or was it Melee?) a while ago but it was never finished.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Brawl and Melee engine both support 6 players (multi-man Melee), somebody worked on a code that would let a 5th player control through USB Gecko for Brawl (or was it Melee?) a while ago but it was never finished.
It was actually a 7 player Brawl IIRC.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
the only problem with the stage control idea is someone could seriously rain hell on a single player for w/e reason to ensure the others win.

I'd be like 10x worse than folks double teaming(or triple teaming) someone for whatever reason.

and if its allowed online? oh good god no....

volbound1700

Smash Master
At the least, I don't see what could stop us from having AIs play as player 5-8 after having 4 players.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, one must consider such things like the Ice Climbers. In order for more players to work, the game must be able to handle the total amount of players acceptable times two.
For example, what if a match of 6 players was an IC FFA? 12 Climbers on the stage at one time seems like it'd take a lot out. I'm sure it can work though, given the stronger system the Wii U is said to be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
the only problem with the stage control idea is someone could seriously rain hell on a single player for w/e reason to ensure the others win.

I'd be like 10x worse than folks double teaming(or triple teaming) someone for whatever reason.

and if its allowed online? oh good god no....
Well, if the GamePad user can't directly damage anyone, then that might make things more fair.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Multiman Mode.. that's all I have to say..
I said "players", no "characters". I'm expectiong the game to be able to support like fifty characters on screen at the same time. But when it's up to players is a more complicated thing to menage.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
This would be an interesting and welcome idea on certain stages and such where the 5th Player could spawn items, create hazards, etc.

At first I thought this thread was pertaining to a 5th playable character on the stage, which would be ridiculous. If that was the case at least make it 6 Players so 3v3 Triples could be possible.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
5 players... might be a bit of overcrowding in front of the TV. But seriously, is the gamepad fit for playing a smash game?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
@falkoopa
Yeah, its the same as a pro controller, with the added benefit of being able to play smash bros on the screen by itself in HD.
Anyway Tekken Tag 2 can barely handle 2 people on the screen, during a tag or a move where a character is in two places at once or really large, the game slowz. But I imagine the character models in smash being much smaller and less graphic intensive. Plus its being developed by experts on the wii u. Its full potential has yet to be tapped.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I would love a six player Smash Bros. game (2 GamePads, 4 other controllers). I would teach myself how to use the GamePad just in case that 5 others wanted to play, but only one of them wanted to use the GamePad or something, and I would be forced to use the other GamePad.

6 players would also be fun on online play (unless it's like Brawl where people camp for life and stall out that stupid 2 minute timer).

Also, maybe tournaments could do 3 on 3 team matches or something. Not sure how that would work out, since that sounds really chaotic to me, but it would be fun to see nonetheless.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A 6 player match can certainly be possible if two player's use the Gamepad's and the other four use any other controller's that can work. That would certainly be quite chaotic but fun. :p *Imagines 6 Ice Climber's or 6 Olimar's with all their pikmin's out* Oh gosh...

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I definitely see it as a possibility, but 5 actual fighters might get a little crowded.
They might try and set up some separate gameplay modes for 4 fighters and 1 gamepad player. Kind of like with New Super Marios Bros U.

Just spitballing here but somehow the gamepad controlls a boss of some sort that the other 4 have to defeat. Perhaps Master Hand?
Or they become the item master. They can choose from a limited stock of when and where a certain item drops and can control hectic situations on the battle field. Say on Corneria they can control when the ships fly in and where they fire.

Or a mode where it's 4 (or however many you choose) verse the 1 gamepad player. So the gamepad player has certain things they can do on a course to try and KO the other players, and they have to avoid them for a certain time limit to win.

Just read through the comments and can see some have already had this idea.
It would be a pretty fun feature.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
I see various opportunities for this.
1) 5th Player drops items
2) 5th Player vs. the others
3) 5th Player does point and click to control various stage elements
4) "Photographer Mode," where 5th player can rotate the camera angle to take pictures and videos of the battle.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I see various opportunities for this.
1) 5th Player drops items
2) 5th Player vs. the others
3) 5th Player does point and click to control various stage elements
4) "Photographer Mode," where 5th player can rotate the camera angle to take pictures and videos of the battle.
Hm, I like #4. I hate when people pause the game to see if they can take a picture. Leaving that to the 5th player would be nice :)

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
Hm, I like #4. I hate when people pause the game to see if they can take a picture. Leaving that to the 5th player would be nice :)
Yeah. And given the HD capabilities of the Wii U, the videos could be sick.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Most definitely. All these ideas for how SSB4 could be just make me more excited for the game.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Always wanted 6 players with stages designed specifically for such matches. 3v3 would be a dream come true to me.

D

Deleted member

More than 4 players a game will be chaotic. If there will be 5 or more players, then the stages will have to be much bigger than usual.

Top Bottom