• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U 5 player smash

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I thought I heard that sakurai already addressed this but I'm not sure. Ever since fighting the wire frames in melee I've wondered how smash would fare with even more than four players. It was unrealistic of me to suggest that brawl could have 8 player matches (4 wiimotes and 4 GameCube controllers) but having simply 5 with the game pad seems more feasible. Has this been addressed yet? What do you guys think?

lami

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai stated he didn't really want to do anything with the game pad. :/

Morbi

Scavenger
That would truly be a shame if that's the case. :(
That would truly be amazing if that's the case. :grin:

I thought I heard that sakurai already addressed this but I'm not sure. Ever since fighting the wire frames in melee I've wondered how smash would fare with even more than four players. It was unrealistic of me to suggest that brawl could have 8 player matches (4 wiimotes and 4 GameCube controllers) but having simply 5 with the game pad seems more feasible. Has this been addressed yet? What do you guys think?
It seems like a weird innovation, I don't see it happening though, smaller stages will be annoying to fight on. The game was larger developed with the 3DS in mind, so it wouldn't really surprise me if Sakurai doesn't plan on doing anything with the Gamepad.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That would truly be amazing if that's the case. :grin:
So much for Altruism. :p

What, wasting a perfectly fine piece of hardware? I mean, it may not be a 5 player match, but I'm sure he could come up with something.

Although I'm not for a 5 player match. Keep it 4 please.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I think 4 is perfect the way it is. Why fix what isn't broken? Also 5 would seem unfair in terms of fighting sort of like a 3 player match but messier.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind a special mode where the Wii U pad player wasn't a player but a director of the matches. They would decide when and what items to spawn. Where to spawn them. Maybe even stop, slow down, or start moving stages. They could even control where the Smash Ball goes.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wouldn't mind a special mode where the Wii U pad player wasn't a player but a director of the matches. They would decide when and what items to spawn. Where to spawn them. Maybe even stop, slow down, or start moving stages. They could even control where the Smash Ball goes.
That would actually be an interesting way to integrate a fifth player; it would be especially intriguing on stages like Pyrosphere, with multiple stage-hazards.

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
GamePad users mindset: "Wow, Fox is up 4 stock to everyone else? Preeeeeeety sure he needs 6 Bob-ombs to spawn on his head.... and a Mr. Saturn."
As long you don't give the GamePad to your devilish friend, it would certainly be a fun idea.

Morbi

Scavenger
GamePad users mindset: "Wow, Fox is up 4 stock to everyone else? Preeeeeeety sure he needs 6 Bob-ombs to spawn on his head.... and a Mr. Saturn."
As long you don't give the GamePad to your devilish friend, it would certainly be a fun idea.
I believe that giving your devilish friend the GamePad is what makes it a fun idea.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'd love 5 players, maybe that could be the wii u's gimmick? Except you used a wii remote instead. Although I would love to see the gamepad be used to control and change the fate of matches, that would be chaotic fun!

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
It would certainly make the wii u version unique like smash run is for the 3ds

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
With Palutena's Temple they need to think about 12 player.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
100 vs 100

Infinite Wii mote players!

All on FoD!

Last edited:

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
With Palutena's Temple they need to think about 12 player.
I hope Palutena's Temple will have at least some sort of player increase mode, even if the extra players are bots. That stage is humongous, and it would be awesome to see so much action going on.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well if its anything to go on, Mario Kart 8 is confirmed to not support 5 players locally. So my assumption that Smash will not support 5 players either.

SuperGuzzi

Smash Journeyman
We just need a Tetris stage, where the player in the gamepad plays and moves the pieces around, the other 4 will try to fight... just try lol.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Well if its anything to go on, Mario Kart 8 is confirmed to not support 5 players locally. So my assumption that Smash will not support 5 players either.
R u srs? Lame :( still gonna get it most likely but c'mon. Even espn sports connection had 5 player kart racing!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I did read from an article somewhere that said Sakurai wasn't going to develop anything interactive with the GamePad. Mentioning that he doesn't like having one person having so much power to control the game as it goes on. At best, it'll probably work as Off-Screen Play function.

http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Ok, so it's somewhat in the ball park of what I said, but it'll be very little though.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Using the gamepad as an extra controller for a 5-player match is really not using any of it's unique features at all, I don't think that's what Sakurai meant when saying he didn't want to do anything with it, I'm pretty sure that he's talking about giving one player an unfair advantage by having the gamepad do stuff no one else can, not just... using it.

I'm not expecting 5 player matches or anything, but more because of tradition and respect for a formula that's still effective, if Sakurai wanted to, I don't think he wouldn't add them just because they'd need to use the gamepad to do it.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
This is exactly what I was thinking as well. 5 players seems a little unnecessary but having the gamepad player serve a unique function would actually make things pretty interesting. Like you said, controlling item placement could be really fun or give them the ability to use/activate stage hazards.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Sakurai has said that he considers the gameplay to be largely complete and doesn't plan on any really major changes. That pretty much outright deconfirms anything special with the gamepad. Sorry, it does seem like a cool idea.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai has said that he considers the gameplay to be largely complete and doesn't plan on any really major changes. That pretty much outright deconfirms anything special with the gamepad. Sorry, it does seem like a cool idea.
Doesn't disconfirm it, but it does make it look highly unlikely.

Also, it doesn't mean that we can't have a 5-player thing. That's hardly major at all. Two gamepads, 4 wii remotes aren't "major", they're just what Melee/Brawl had for max players. Probably wouldn't take much programming for the game itself. I don't know if the Wii U is good at handling above 4 players, though.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Doesn't disconfirm it, but it does make it look highly unlikely.

Also, it doesn't mean that we can't have a 5-player thing. That's hardly major at all. Two gamepads, 4 wii remotes aren't "major", they're just what Melee/Brawl had for max players. Probably wouldn't take much programming for the game itself. I don't know if the Wii U is good at handling above 4 players, though.
I'm just saying, Sakurai considers the engine complete. He doesn't want to change up the basic bits, and adding an extra player would be a major change. He's not referring to the programming when he says this, but the experience. Remember, he's keeping the 3DS in mind here. It's already going to be hard to keep up with four players, let alone more on such a small screen. That's why the outlines were added, even.
Sakurai said:
The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it. However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play.
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/0...says-next-smash-bros-game-system-is-complete/

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm just saying, Sakurai considers the engine complete. He doesn't want to change up the basic bits, and adding an extra player would be a major change. He's not referring to the programming when he says this, but the experience. Remember, he's keeping the 3DS in mind here. It's already going to be hard to keep up with four players, let alone more on such a small screen. That's why the outlines were added, even.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/0...says-next-smash-bros-game-system-is-complete/
The 3DS version is not the same as the Wii U version. If he wants to extend the amount, he still can. Remember, he has more time to work on the Wii U version.

He already is having different Pokeball Pokemon and Assist Trophies in each, possibly more in the Wii U version. It's going to have more content. So we'll just have to wait and see. I never said it's likely, but he can change his mind. He's done it before. Like when he made Villager playable after saying he wasn't feasible for fighting during Brawl.

How about there's a mode where a fifth player hops in with the GamePad and plays as a boss?

You get your own screen, and have the ability to unleash certain attacks with the press of a button.

It's not all that complex, and it could potentially be pretty fun.

Another idea have is a fifth player on the GamePad dropping Assist Trophies and Pokemon on the battlefield.

That's all I can think of for now.

Top Bottom