• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5+ Players for Brawl actually plausible!

T-Rex

Smash Apprentice
Now I know there have been post about this before, but the ones I read were just people wishing for it (I personally think it is an awful idea 4 is plenty). Recently I got my Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter and got my Wii Points added and was browsing around looking for the first game I would like to buy. I stumbled across Bomberman 93', as I was looking at the 'More Details' it said '1-5 Players' as I read on, It is possible to use many combinations; 4 GC Controllers and 1 Wii-Mote or, 2 GC Contollers, 1 Wii-Mote, and 1 Retro Controller, and so on and so forth.

So does this mean that Brawl will have the potential to go up to 6 or even 8 possible players? I hope not, but it is plausible if you think about it. I guess 3v3 Teams would be fun for big smash offs so no one is left out, but If so they should make it once you surpass 2v2 or 4-Player FFA, it should limit the stages able to be picked to avoid Lag and over crowding (8-player FFA on Yoshi's Story or FoD = Wii Crash).

BentoBox

Smash Master
It could go up to 8 players aswell, but Sakurai said we wouldn't be using wii-motes for conventional play, which has already been said in the other topic.

zerodownhm

Smash Apprentice
It could go up to 8 players aswell, but Sakurai said we wouldn't be using wii-motes for conventional play, which has already been said in the other topic.

Thats not what sakura said, he said the MOTION SENSING won't be used during gameplay, meaning you can use the wiimote to play brawl you just won't be waving the control to make movements...

BentoBox

Smash Master
He said we'd be using the wii-motes for minigames... That I clearly remember. But I'm too lazy to go find the article. And the wii-mote has a lot less buttons than the gc/classic controllers. Remove the motion sensing capabilities and I really can't see how you'd play smash at all with 4-5 buttons. But whatever floats your boat.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
i checked for bomber '93 as well and it is plausible. since you CAN use the wiimote to play (just not the motion sensing function) if you had 4 wiimotes and 4classic or GC controllers it is possible. Even in the samuraipanda's translation of that new brawl article it says you can use the wiimote and classic controller. And dont worry about the wiimote not having enough buttons, remember brawl is a new game so you cant judge how the new button map will be based off of the old ones...

i cant wait! i actually hope it does have up to 8 players, i would love to be the 1 to come out on top out of a war of 8! And if you think playing with 8 people sucks then just dont play with 8 people, its very simple...

burrito

Smash Lord
More than 4 people playing brawl on the same console is pretty unlikely. I could see it on system link or online, though.

Cless

Smash Champion
The wiimote has enough buttons. One for attack, special move, jump, shield/air dodge, and grab. Now moving around with the nunchaku, that's a challenge.

BentoBox

Smash Master
i checked for bomber '93 as well and it is plausible. since you CAN use the wiimote to play (just not the motion sensing function) if you had 4 wiimotes and 4classic or GC controllers it is possible. Even in the samuraipanda's translation of that new brawl article it says you can use the wiimote and classic controller. And dont worry about the wiimote not having enough buttons, remember brawl is a new game so you cant judge how the new button map will be based off of the old ones...

i cant wait! i actually hope it does have up to 8 players, i would love to be the 1 to come out on top out of a war of 8! And if you think playing with 8 people sucks then just dont play with 8 people, its very simple...
They can't possibly decrease the number of buttons and increase the number of movements a character can perform, that'd be just dumb...

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
They can't possibly decrease the number of buttons and increase the number of movements a character can perform, that'd be just dumb...
thats just the thing, we dont know if they've increased the number of movements or not. We know this crawl thing is in, but we dont know what else in/out yet...

montyalbo

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the 5th person with a Wiimote could like control Master Hand or something.
that would be kinda cool
4 players vs. a human controlled Master Hand
NICE!!!!!:grin:

BentoBox

Smash Master
I stand corrected.

@bluebomber : The current wiimote+nunchuck lacks buttons compared to the GC controller. And there aren't enough buttons to performs most of the things we can already do in SSBM. With or without new moves, GC controller has an advantage D=

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
I stand corrected.

@bluebomber : The current wiimote+nunchuck lacks buttons compared to the GC controller. And there aren't enough buttons to performs most of the things we can already do in SSBM. With or without new moves, GC controller has an advantage D=
true , the GC controller would be easier to configure considering it has more buttons. I guess we wont know until we know ;)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
The Wiimote (plus nunckuk, of course) could very well be used. Technically speaking, Super Smash Bros. uses a control stick and three buttons: a normal attack button (A), a special attack button (B), and a shield button (Z on the N64 and L and R on the GCN). Holding the shield button and pressing A 'causes you to grab, which they made into a shortcut on the R (N64) and Z (GCN) buttons. An alternate jumping method was mapped to the C buttons (N64) and the X and Y buttons (GCN)(Also, the C stick directions as shortcuts for smash attacks even though that use is kinda shunned by some people). So, there're more than enough buttons on the Wiimote (and GBA in fact, let alone the DS [though that's not the topic >.<]).

The only real disavantage the Wiimote has is it's lack of analog shoulder buttons, everything else can be mapped just fine; the GCN controller and Wiimote (the 1 and 2 buttons are easy to reach with ones thumb)have the same number of buttons, though the GCN controller has one extra control stick.

But, for familiarity, sake most people would probably stick with the GCN controller anyway.

PS: Run-on sentences FTW.

Sensai

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't see this happening. I mean, sure, it'd be cool, but it's already crazy enough with 4 people, and since that's all you can hook up to a console (assuming you're only using Wii remotes or GC controllers)...

Although, this idea could work for online play. That is probably not going to happen, as 4 people online at once would be laggy enough, let alone 8 or so.

Wireless LAN? Dunno. Not a technical guy, but I do think that this wouldn't slow things down immensely (if at all), so why not?

That being said...it'd be cool, and I'd enjoy it. Imagine, crew matches would go from hour long spectacles to 5 minute bouts.

mr.NoOb

Smash Cadet
people theres also the option of a multiport/multitab. i've said this before in a similar thread.

.22%

Smash Apprentice
i think i'd be cool to have more than 4 playas but i will do anything for less lag (sence timing is everything in smash)

SuperSmash33

Smash Rookie
if they did make it possible to play with more than 4 players i hope that they would create new large sized courses. mabey the would create a seperate game mode devoted to matches consisting of 5 or more competitors. although im still hoping for a 4 player maximum i wouldnt mind more players if the courses fit accordingly.

Sensai

Smash Master
Of course it's not necessary. Remember before we discovered advanced techs? This game was HELLA fun with items on, just running around beating the crud outta each other. Four more players would guarentee that would come back into effect.

And as for levels...just take Hyrule Temple from Melee and Sector Z (is that right? The StarFox level) from 64 and redo 'em.

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
i don't see it happening, there are only 4 characters fighting at a time on the trailer..and i don' tsee them adding in such a huge factor like 2 more players in a brawl like this in a SPECIAL mode or something like that..but thats just my opinion.

Zodiac

Smash Master
No, because the classic controllers use the same plugs than the GC controllers.
no they dont, The plug into the wii-mote's nunchuck port and play as wireless controllers.

Anyway, I think it would be fun in a chaotic way that ssbm and ssb already is, so Im not against it. But , Lag might be an issue, but was a extremly powerful last gen system, for the graphics it would support. same goes for the wii, it could probally get by without lag in 3 v3 fights

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It's not like the Wii is THAT much greater than the GCN.

I doubt it will have 5+ players. Could it if they wanted it to? Yeah. Would it suck? Yeah.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Not really... if they had 6 possible characters, that'd mean they'd have to make most of the stages bigger which would result in a lot more beating people up rather than teching them off the stage. Big stages are a big no-no in my opinion.

But that's just my opinion. Who cares about it? My mom. Thus resulting in useless posts such as this.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
a 2v2v2 would be fun, admit it ^_^
Yes, yes it would!!! most people would say it would have to be on a huge stage, i however would like to try it on a cramped stage, there would be no where to run and everyone would have to fight straight up. I can only imagine the destruction!!!

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

That's true. I mean, play a 2v2 on Mute City. It's chaotic, but at the same time it remains fun.

A 2v2v2 or a 3v3 would be the same as the afore mentioned on a level about the size of Final Destination.

T-major

Smash Champion
YES! this would be an awsome idea to add! a game like SSB, in which multi-player is a huge part of the game. 6 player battles are a must. I don't think they should go over 6 players though. as thing might get to confusing with 7 or 8 at once.

Sensai

Smash Master
T-major, the 'confusing' thing is half the fun. I think it's great fun when there's so much going on and I have no idea where I am or who I'm beating up on but I know I'm getting him.

Y' know, we're all talking and thinking about this, but it's not gonna happen....shame.

I guess they could do it over online play.

Top Bottom