• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 Things Super Smash Bros Brawl Got Wrong

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
another thing, i don't understand is the analogue shielding thing, Nintendo has NEVER been shy before, about forcing add ons on people Crystal chronicle's anyone... among many others with wack peripherals so i don't understand why all of a sudden, they can't force Game cube controllers on people, Nintendo's a funny company, I'll give 'em that.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Could you explain hit stun to me? I'm positive I know what it is, but I don't know ALL of the terminology. Would it be that if you hit a character who is in midair, they can hit you right back with no lag, which really messes with the air game?
That is part of it. It is the period of time were you are sort of immobilized after being hit.

In Brawl it is very short. You can get a successful hit in and pretty much immediately be punished because you succeeded in hiting them.

In Smash 64 there was a lot of hit stun and the game actually played faster or as fast as Brawl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokDVGLC48s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEec8yifjDw

watch those videos and you can see for just how long you are rendered vulnerable in smash 64. Isai does an amazing 0 to death off the top of the stage at arond :44.

The thing is that Brawl has the least amount of hitstun by far. It also has more knock back on a lot of move of the sort that would be used to combo.

Then stun system could also be used to approach defensive players and use their shield against them. Brawl doesn't have much of this element because yes, less stun.

If you really want to read more about it I suggest you goto scar's thread and do a search for hitstun.

Superperson

Smash Rookie
I don't understand this. Casuals usually play other casuals and have fun without the advance techniques, why take something from the competitive community. And before anyone brings the 'its an exploit, now its even' excuse, I am sure pros will still use their new techniques to dominate the casuals.
Yes, but Nintendo's horribly inept online system means that casuals could end up playing against pros by pure chance, and trust me, getting your butt kicked by someone because they can wavedash and L-cancel makes the game no fun.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To avoid tripping...

1: Avoid Banana Peels
2: Don't dash too much (you'll only trip when dashing)

Also, it seems that the shielding is only an issue for Gamecube Controller users. I've been using the Classic Controller and I must say that it works perfectly with Brawl.

S623

Smash Apprentice
I agree about slowness, tripping, and l-canceling. I never really used wave dashing effectively so I show indifference to that one. Analog shielding is useful for some.

The only one of those that I really think hurts the competitive scene a LOT is the tripping. It adds an element of randomness which means it won't be skill-based. The lack of hit -stun is bad, as well. I kind of wish that Brawl were at speed slower than Melee but still faster than it currently is. That would've been great.

Kietharr

Smash Cadet
To me, the biggest five mistakes they made was destroying hitstun, L canceling, tripping, nerfing characters that weren't even good in melee, and adding unlimited air dodges. Honestly everything after those is just nitpicking, wavedashing was really of limited usefulness for a lot of characters and would be nearly useless in Brawl considering characters like Samus and Mewtwo who depended on it were gimped so horribly that nobody would play them anyways or flat out removed.

Tripping is just stupid, I've only died to it directly about three times in Brawl but the amount of ruined attempts at combos and damage I've taken from it is really unforgivable. I wish they'd take their heads out of their ***** and patch Brawl to remove tripping.

Tsuyoi Momonga

Smash Apprentice
For those that didn't read the comments on the blog, here's one quote from an anonymous commenter that I felt was worth sharing:

"In the end, Melee is like that girlfriend who you started not to appreciate because you have been dating her for so long. The sex seemed kind of stale and you just wanted to go and f**k something else for a change. Then Brawl is like a new girlfriend that just won’t put out, and it makes you realize how much you actually love your first girlfriend."

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
agreed
Only Tripping is not that bad imo
Tripping pretty much eliminates dash-dancing, so I think it sucks. Of course, wavedashing is gone, so DD might as well be gone too. I didn't think it was that bad until it lost me a few matches. It's just so unnecessarily stupid!

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I agree with all of it except no wavedashing. Momentum Canceling is a better, less glitch-looking technique. Admit it, wavedashing looks like something that shouldn't be in the game.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
For those that didn't read the comments on the blog, here's one quote from an anonymous commenter that I felt was worth sharing:

"In the end, Melee is like that girlfriend who you started not to appreciate because you have been dating her for so long. The sex seemed kind of stale and you just wanted to go and f**k something else for a change. Then Brawl is like a new girlfriend that just won’t put out, and it makes you realize how much you actually love your first girlfriend."

Good metaphor!

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
If you agree with this you are ********. Everything he said was "its not melee". like he cant do his melee mario combos and no wave dash or l cancel. brawl has a new combo system and cant be played like melee. I read one dudes comment who said he hated sakuri because he cant see like fox shuffles or double falcon knees. Thats so retarted, if you want a game that has only 4 playable characters and glitches that define good from bad players, go back to melee. however, if you want to play a game with 35 balanced characters and more areal options along with new techs play brawl. Just remember, if the melee pros dont cross to brawl then more will take their place and competition continues. They will go back to melee while brawlers get rediculusly good at brawl and learn how to use the new system, not complain how it has changed. Grow up melee people and realize competition is more than speen and glitches, its who is the best at the game.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
You're such as scrub mangodurban... It's pretty obvious you've never ever played a competetive match. I would tell you to Lurk Moar but i'm afraid the effect would be wasted.

We don't hate Brawl because of the lack of Wavedashing / L-Canceling (though that is a minor reason), its because the game is so heavily catered towards defensive play (as it has a rediculous lack of hitstun, and instashielding) meaning that camping is by far the best option in Brawl.

What "that dude" was more likely referring to was the fact that Brawl combos are practically non-existant, as the defensive options you have (ie. shielding / infinate airdodging) means that they are rediculously easy to escape, and no opponent who has even slight competence with DI won't get caught in them. Wheras in Melee, there would be "OH SNAP" moments where the entire room would cheer because of some spectacular improvised (escapable) combo.

Also, more than 4 characters were used. Towards the end of Melee's lifespan Jiggly was winning tournaments.

Fyi, people already learned the "new brawl system". It's called camping.

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
I only agree with slowness.
Everything else... Deal with it. Seriously, it's not the end of the world. If you played hours and hours of Melee to perfect your glitch-exploiting techniques, then you were obsessed. Maybe this is your punishment. Har har. *sarcasm*
But still. Like a lot of people say, get over it u___u

Cookiez

Smash Ace
How can you not agree that the lack of hitstun and the rediculous defensive options means that camping is by far the most effective technique?

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
Me? I never really used advanced techniques. (Feel free to look down upon me as a n00b who thinks she's decent, then.) I don't even know what hitstun is. .w.
Anyways, I forgot to say that I agree with the whole shielding thing too. I didn't really notice how important the levels of shielding were until now. So yup.
Camping is also a problem though, but there are ways past almost everything. It might take a while to figure it out, but you smashboards people are smart, right? :'D

Top Bottom