• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A better GCN controller? Hori Battle Pad for Wii U - Review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrwalden

Smash Rookie
OK, so I got the Luigi version a couple of weeks ago & am loving it! I don't have Smash Bros. for Wii U to test it out on yet, but it is really nice for games that aren't "optimized" for the normal Classic Controller layout like...well, Smash Bros., Sonic Colors, non-SNES VC games, Mario Kart...stuff like that. Haven't had any problems with it so far! Gonna try to pick up the Mario version before they see another price increase (currently 30 USD on Amazon, used to be the same as the PDP is now, $25).

EDIT: Looks like I was a little too late on the uptake...I'll just wait for the Pikachu version LOL

Last edited:

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
Here's a link to the thread mentioned.
I wonder how these all-metal stick boxes compare.
Personally, I seem to prefer the non-metal joystick boxes. I just recently bought one of the PDP Wii U Gamecube pads (Yoshi). I wanted to see what I thought of the controller and joysticks. Playing N64 SSB is tough with this joystick. It's very tight, which is fine, but it's difficult to transition from the stick's neutral zone to a tilt. This is because it takes a good amount of force to move it out of the neutral position. Because of this, I'd often times find myself jumping up when all I wanted to do was use an up-tilt attack. No doubt it's something to get used to, but I pretty much never do this when using joysticks from an actual N64, Gamecube, or the Classic Controller Pro controllers (all plastic joysticks). The metal sticks are for sure more durable and will last longer, but so far all the plastic joystick boxes give me slightly smoother play and tighter control.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Personally, I seem to prefer the non-metal joystick boxes. I just recently bought one of the PDP Wii U Gamecube pads (Yoshi). I wanted to see what I thought of the controller and joysticks. Playing N64 SSB is tough with this joystick. It's very tight, which is fine, but it's difficult to transition from the stick's neutral zone to a tilt. This is because it takes a good amount of force to move it out of the neutral position. Because of this, I'd often times find myself jumping up when all I wanted to do was use an up-tilt attack. No doubt it's something to get used to, but I pretty much never do this when using joysticks from an actual N64, Gamecube, or the Classic Controller Pro controllers (all plastic joysticks). The metal sticks are for sure more durable and will last longer, but so far all the plastic joystick boxes give me slightly smoother play and tighter control.
I noticed the same thing with my Hori Battlepad. The zone for walking and tilting seems smaller than on a real GameCube controller. That being said, my GameCube controller has a tiny bit of a wobble due to age. I'm wanting to get a new GameCube controller so that I can do an accurate comparison.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've updated the original post with a review of the product and my search for the perfect Smash Controller.

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet
I have both Hori pad and GC adapter and really want to like the HORI pad more but when I Flick the left stick I sometimes seem to do an accidental perfect pivot, is this happening to anyone else? And does anyone use this to their advantage?

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I have both Hori pad and GC adapter and really want to like the HORI pad more but when I Flick the left stick I sometimes seem to do an accidental perfect pivot, is this happening to anyone else? And does anyone use this to their advantage?
Yes, this happens to me, too. I updated the initial post to address all of my concerns.

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
Yep. I'd like to like the Hori Pad (considering I bought it) but it is turning out to be pretty unplayable with its stick sensitivity as you and L3e mentioned. I should have listened to that Amazon review.

I'm far from a competitive smasher but having to use all my mental awareness to walk instead of run is a problem even for me, and having flicks turn into pivots is a great liability. You've encountered the same problem Mechageo, but it sounds like it isn't anything gamebreaking for you because you still generally endorse it. Did you learn to overcome this problem?

P.S: I'm learning dashtrotting today and I honestly think the weird sensitivity makes it easier to do. But I'll take harder ATs over machine errors on basic things any day.

AwesomeNick

Smash Rookie
I would personally love to see a review of the PDP Fight Pad. I ended up here searching for the best Smash controller, and your information was quite helpful. The only thing it's missing for me is a review of that controller, cause it looks pretty good to me. I actually prefer that it has the full sized c-stick, as I always hated how tiny that thing was on the gamecube.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I would personally love to see a review of the PDP Fight Pad. I ended up here searching for the best Smash controller, and your information was quite helpful. The only thing it's missing for me is a review of that controller, cause it looks pretty good to me. I actually prefer that it has the full sized c-stick, as I always hated how tiny that thing was on the gamecube.
I bought a PDP Wired Fight Pad since I reviewed the HORI one. I'm making a guide about 3rd party controllers. I'll update this when it's ready for prime time.

SuperCoffeeBros

The Better, Faster, Cheaper Custom Controller
Hey there,

I was wondering if you new if the new official Nintendo smash edition controllers have the shoulder supports (the squarish metal bracket that snaps onto the L and R buttons).

I know the reissue Nintendo whites don't, but I was wondering if the smash bros edition did.

Thank you!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Battle pad is solid as expected from a Hori product. The analog sensitivity is the truth though. It's only flaw imo.

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
Battle pad is solid as expected from a Hori product. The analog sensitivity is the truth though. It's only flaw imo.
Yep, I really like its feel and the buttons are fine (of course, my friend says it will have lag since it plugs into wiimote, and therefore is useless competitively). That being said, the sensitivity, while being one thing, flaws it beyond recognition for me, and I'm not even competitive. Maybe if I had better control in general it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I heard that both the fight pad and the Hori Battle pad has virtual throwback on the main joystick, causing inconsistent fox trots, perfect pivots, and dash in places. Is this true?

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
I heard that both the fight pad and the Hori Battle pad has virtual throwback on the main joystick, causing inconsistent fox trots, perfect pivots, and dash in places. Is this true?
It is true on the Hori pad from what I can tell. Oftentimes a single flick of the stick to do a forward dash will turn into a perfect pivot, or I often find myself doing pivot throws or jabs(didn't even know those were possible) from time to time. That being said when I want to do trotting or pivoting I find it is actually much easier with the Hori, it cuts down on almost half the necessary inputs. But that's not 100% consistent, of course.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Yep.

Last edited:

Dulop

Smash Cadet
It is worth buying the controller, even with the pivoting issue?

For casually-competitive games, not super competitives

Last edited:

BaeBraham

Coffee and Smash enthusiast
NNID
BaeBraham
3DS FC
4184-3853-8896
I'm glad other people aren't as lazy as me and take the time to do such in-depth reviews like this. Because that was dope. Kudos to you homie.

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
I recently bought this thinking it was a gc controller lol. Now I gotta go to best buy and return the adapter or controller but thats beside the point. The point is could i still use this even though it isn't a gc controller? Will I be fine in competitive play? I also like how the controller is just plugged into the wii remote to be played. More portable and easy.

D

Deleted member

I recently bought this thinking it was a gc controller lol. Now I gotta go to best buy and return the adapter or controller but thats beside the point. The point is could i still use this even though it isn't a gc controller? Will I be fine in competitive play? I also like how the controller is just plugged into the wii remote to be played. More portable and easy.
If you play in locals, it depends. Some TOs would allow it while others won't so contact your local scene.

If you are planning on going to majors, then you will not be able to use it since it is not only a wireless controller, but it has a Turbo feature.

If you are just going to play online, then you are completely fine. There is no wrong controller in that case (except Wiimote).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Please don't necro threads which haven't been used for more than a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom