• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Bomb technique

Ampheras

Smash Cadet
I want to ask you guys something. I looked up in many sites and videos, but couldn't find anything like this. It's a technique I discovered using Samus bombs. I think it's known that Samus performs a ball jump every time she gets hit by her own bomb, unless she is performing a ground attack. So I was studying this and noticed that it's possible to cancel the landing lag of aerial attacks by doing this, scaping possible punishments for missing them, specially grabs (when you hit a shield). Its safier when performing near borders. I think the best exemples are at 19 and 27 seconds, using Fair. Notice that this allows fair to be used with a short hop safely. I tested in battle and its proved to be very useful. I want to know if this already exist, and if so, how its named, and the source.

Srry if its a noob question, and srry for the bad video, is the best I can do here

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up. It seems that since you cancel the landing lag into morphball mode you eliminate any follow up options. What kind of situations do you find yourself applying this in?

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Interesting find. This could be pretty useful for mixups.
But it also looks like it could be punishable, even though you have no landing lag you still have that point where you're stuck in the morphball for a bit.

Ampheras

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up. It seems that since you cancel the landing lag into morphball mode you eliminate any follow up options. What kind of situations do you find yourself applying this in?
I use this mostly to counter-approach. Enemies usually have to approach Samus because of her projectiles, and this technique defends you from many approachs in a offensive way. And its useful if you need to use Fair with a shorthop, wich we know is impraticable because of landing lag. Yes, in fact it eliminates any follow up options, but I think this is best in some matchups and situations when you have to play defensively.

As being punishable, I don't totally agree. If you hit, the enemy will not be able to punish you. If you miss, you will be much more suscetible to punishment if you fall normally than if you use this technique. Besides, if you use it near the border, as I said, you will fall and it will be even harder to punish you, almost impossible.

Last edited:

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. Seems useful defensively, but ultimately id never use something like fair from short hop. Too bad we cant morphball cancel anymore. That would make this tech pretty godlike.

Ive never attempted or noticed it, but can bombs cancel the animation from missiles shot from the air?

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
If you miss, you will be much more suscetible to punishment if you fall normally than if you use this technique.
That's a great point. It seem to me that it has to be left for a left-field mix up and to set up that mix up you need to constantly be dropping bombs in front of you. The mix up itself only works if your opponent takes to jumping over the bomb and not just running past it. To avoid him running past it you need to stand in front of it and if you are then your opponent is going to wait it out. Seems like a lot of effort for half a Fair at best :/

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Yep, I think this is well known.
Because of the timings of this game vs. brawl I find I can't get too many z-airs out before landing and instead of a final z-air which does nothing (interrupted by landing) I find there's enough time to drop a bomb. Then you short hop f-air and cover your retreat with morph ball.

Ampheras

Smash Cadet
BlackCephie, I tested here, and seems its not possible to cancel the landing lag of missales unfortunatly
GdspdUblkprzdnt, in fact, as I proceed testing this technique, I faced two problems with it. The first one is indeed opponents running past the mine. But I notice that its just a matter of mastering the technique, when I do it with perfect control I can avoid those enemies as well. The second problem is with projectiles, this makes you a lot more vulnerable to them. As about that, its a matter of caution, noticing when your opponent will use projectiles

Now, this is IMPORTANT: Yes, indeed you need to set a mix up dropping bombs. And thats what I'm doing, exploring bombs to the maximun, and my samus game was never so good. Because notice this is a defensive technique, but you don't always have to use it. The bombs make enemies commit mistakes, and then you can use the bombs instead to make a great combo. I'm starting to do a video about them, because they are amazing. So, by dropping mines constantly and being aware of this technique, you have at the same time a great defense and a great attack method. Its simply amazing

DungeonMaster, well noticed, another good way to make this technique useful

Last edited:

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
Interesting... Doesn't seem overly practical, but it does have some interesting uses. One quality I've noticed is that if you try to cancel fair or zair into the bomb, then if the attack (5th hit of fair or 2nd hit of zair) whiffs then the bomb pushes you like normal, but if the attack lands then the hitlag makes you miss the explosion window, landing with normal lag. That makes it so the bomb only causes you to retreat when your attack doesn't land, hopefully preserving the neutral or maybe even allowing you to catch an attempted punish with a jab or grab. Otherwise you still have a bit of advantage since you dont get pushed back.
However since zair is ranged and has low lag it seems impractical, so might be better to use it more with fair.

I'll test this out a bit online and see if I can make any use of it!

Edit: Just realized this thread is ancient and this stuff has probably long been debunked.... I would delete this post but there's no option to on mobile.... :facepalm:

Last edited:
Top Bottom