• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Comprehensive Guide On How Idiots Defend Their Characters

GRAMMARLOL

Smash Rookie
The following list of tired, rehashed arguments is a good way to know if you are reading the post made by a person with single digit IQ. Basically, if you read any of the following, look to the left and *BAM*, you are one step closer to losing all faith in mankind.

1. "Learn to adapt!!!11" Ah, an old favourite of mine. It's usually followed by some claim of the character in question not being overpowered because apparently he knows that you aren't putting in any effort to "adapt" even though he probably has never even been in the same room with you. Oh, and it completely ignores the fact that WHEN ONE PLAYER HAS TO DO ALL OF THE ADAPTING TO BEAT ANOTHER PLAYER WHO USES *insert character here* THE MATCHUP PROBABLY ISN'T ALL THAT EVEN. The worst thing about this is the retinue of fellow mouth breathers that come out in rabid butt-patting support of whoever says this like so many feminazis swaying their heads and open palms in unison shrieking "You go girl!"
Yeah, I am sure all of those Yoshi mainers will be adapting their way to the top of tournaments in no time, morons.

Note: there are many variants to this particular one, such as "Just learn to play better" and are often emphasized by stupid anecdotes of Bowser players totally pwning their group of most likely braindead friends.

2. "It's the player, not the game." Good job, *******es, you've successfully recognized the fact that skill plays a factor in the game. What next, will you be telling everyone that they do, in fact, need a Wii to play SSBB? This one always makes me laugh because the person saying it is completely disregarding any ideal of a fair argument. It's honestly amazing how so many people don't realize that when one person has to be better playing most of the cast to beat another person playing character A, character A is overpowered.

3. "It's fine that my class is just plain better than 90% of the cast because mine is way harder to play than them." This one is hilarious because you can almost feel the desperate desire the person has to feel better about himself by believing that he is dominating with such a "high-skill" requiring character. Many practically do the forum equivalent of clapping their hands over their ears and screaming LALALALA to preserve their fragile egos. It would be cute if it weren't so pathetic.
I am not even going to go into how variance in top play would be destroyed if games were balanced around this ******** maxim.

4. "B-b-b-b-but my character has WEAKNESSES!" Yet another brilliant observation by the idiot brigade here on Smashboards. HOLY ****, WEAKNESSES!??!?!? Wow, unheard of. I wonder if a dim, dirt covered light bulb would go off in the collective thick skulls of these mongoloids if I kindly reminded them of the obvious fact that if a character's strengths vastly outweigh his weaknesses, that character is probably overpowered. Then, hopefully, the light bulb would explode from having actually been turned on, hemorrhaging their brains and killing them instantly. I dunno. One can dream.

Well, there you go. For the most part, those that defend overpowered characters will use one of these arguments, for the simple reason that most people are stupid. If you have ever uttered something even remotely resembling one of the above statements, there is a more than likely chance that the part of your brain responsible for reasoning is highly impaired - Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Trisomy 21, and severe malnutrition amongst others are common causes. I highly recommend terminating your life in a timely and clean manner for the benefit of humanity.

On a more serious note, it is honestly quite astonishing for me to see how abrasive people become when suggesting that the character that they play with is above average in strength. I would guess that people dislike having their accomplishments - whether consistently beating friends or winning tournaments - marginalized. It's not so much that these people defend their characters, as it's only natural, but it's how they do it. It's simply illogical to use statements like the above. It's simply illogical to counter someone's claim that a character is overpowered by saying that their skill has to be greater than the other person's. To me, it isn't difficult to acknowledge that stacking one side with a player of greater skill defeats the whole purpose of comparing a character's relative strength to the rest of the cast's. I just can't see why it's so difficult for most of the posters here.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
You sound like a sore loser to me. If you truly think a character is overpowered you should quit your current character and start maining the other one instead. If you choose not to then you have nothing to complain about. Its up to you to decide who you play and you shouldn't look down on other people for making a choice you were not willing to make yourself.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
You sound like a sore loser to me. If you truly think a character is overpowered you should quit your current character and start maining the other one instead. If you choose not to then you have nothing to complain about. Its up to you to decide who you play and you shouldn't look down on other people for making a choice you were not willing to make yourself.
Snake and/or Meta Knight would like to have a word with you.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Did you even pay attention to his post? He said that the arguments people use to defend their character are illogical. He wasn't complaining about the high tier characters as much as he ranted on about how those arguments are stupid, which, BTW, I haven't seen any but one used in an argument. Well, actually two of them, but that is besides the point.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't defend characters. I just say "It's not broken enough for a ban. If you can't deal with it, switch characters (or quite possibly, games)."

Browny

Smash Hater
yep, so true. dont get me wrong i love snake as a character, but it SO annoying when people defend him (as in, against others saying hes OP) saying you just have to learn to adapt to his uptilt. people whinged all the time about marths fsmash in melee. snakes utilt is not only more powerful than marths tipperd fsmash, its got bigger range, faster, less lag, can hit people beneath you and even behind you. now no amount of 'adapting' is going to allow me to stay away from the death zone encompassing the equivalent of ikes usmash range around snake whenever im at 100% if i am to have any chance of damaging snake for the remainder of the game.

I can deal with it. i know its a great move and i dont complain about it if i die by it for 3/3 stocks. but when people try to defend such things as a mere matter of adapting, thats just stupid.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
The Fetal Alcohol Syndrome/Down's Syndrome/malnutrition thing didn't amuse me. Normal, neurotypical people can be complete and total imbeciles as well. FAS/Down's kids might be a little-bit funny-looking, but their issues are not their fault, unlike the idiots you speak of.

/autisticpetpeeve

On topic, I know Metaknight is cheap/overpowered/broken/whatever you want to say. I don't care, I think he's a total bad*ss and will continue to play with him.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I think it's hilarious that you're trying to hide behind a false account so people don't call you out on being a little *****. :laugh: But in all fairness, if you're actually taking scrubs seriously you should consider practicing more.

eMORAY21

Smash Journeyman
Did you even pay attention to his post? He said that the arguments people use to defend their character are illogical. He wasn't complaining about the high tier characters as much as he ranted on about how those arguments are stupid, which, BTW, I haven't seen any but one used in an argument. Well, actually two of them, but that is besides the point.
Tiers exist and you need to get over it, as Supery said

majora_787

Smash Hero
Dang, you owned those hypothetical people.
They're all too real to be hypothetical anymore. Well, they were when brawl was still in production. And they kind of are still, in discussions about SSB4.

GRAMMARLOL

Smash Rookie
What character I choose to play means nothing. There are characters that are easily beaten by my main that I think are overpowered, because they might be better than 90% of the entire cast. Unlike most others, I don't simply think overpowered when I lose. I think of it objectively, whether it be in agreeing - for the most part - with official tier lists made by vastly more experienced players or noting that a character has dominating matchups against most of the cast. Even disregarding the fact that I am not complaining about any specific character or that my post wasn't about how strong characters ruin this game, your suggestion of switching mains means nothing and is almost as stupid as the arguments outlined in the opening post.

I don't defend characters. I just say "It's not broken enough for a ban. If you can't deal with it, switch characters (or quite possibly, games)."
That is completely fine. In a game with multiple characters, some will be better than others. It's inevitable; and I accept that. My post wasn't about how the game is ruined because of stronger characters, but rather about idiots who zealously insist that their character is somehow balanced even though it can **** on almost every single other character in the game using stupid arguments.

The Fetal Alcohol Syndrome/Down's Syndrome/malnutrition thing didn't amuse me. Normal, neurotypical people can be complete and total imbeciles as well. FAS/Down's kids might be a little-bit funny-looking, but their issues are not their fault, unlike the idiots you speak of.

/autisticpetpeeve

On topic, I know Metaknight is cheap/overpowered/broken/whatever you want to say. I don't care, I think he's a total bad*ss and will continue to play with him.
Both reasonable points. In fact, it's great that you accept that a character widely regarded is overpowered is, indeed, overpowered. It's also great that you play with him because you like to play with him.

I think it's hilarious that you're trying to hide behind a false account so people don't call you out on being a little *****. :laugh: But in all fairness, if you're actually taking scrubs seriously you should consider practicing more.
Believe it or not, this is not a false account. I do not hide on the internet, nor do I have a noteworthy alias with a rep worth protecting. In any case, this has nothing to do with my post. And are you saying that it's the "scrubs" who make use those nonsensical statements? If it is, I certainly am not taking them seriously, only mocking their blatant mental deficiency.

Dang, you owned those hypothetical people.
Hypothetical? Really? I'll list a bunch of actual quotes from around Smashboards that conform to the blanket statements listed above in another post.

Tiers exist and you need to get over it, as Supery said
Again, that's fine. I've already covered this in response to Yuna's post, so you can read my response to you there.

GRAMMARLOL

Smash Rookie
In response to TL?'s post.

"Besides, didnt you see my sig? No low tier characters, only low tier players. That's how I feel."
Post #24 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175490&page=2

"I would simply suggest people just get better with their chosen character. I've seen Pichu's and Mewtwo's beat Marth and Fox in Melee. Just step your game up kids, Top Tier isn't by any mean unbeatable."
Post #41 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175490&page=3

"That pretty much sums it up."
Person agreeing with above statement. Post #42 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175490&page=3

"The fact that the likes of Gimpyfish who use Bowser have beaten Marth and Fox players in Melee show this. As I've said before, get ****ing better if you guys are having problems with MK. I used to have problems with Snake and now I have little trouble with him after fighting so many Snake players."
Post #43 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175490&page=3

"Personally i find it hillarious that people like this actually complain about metaknight players and accuse them of being predictable. if you can't get around a half decent metaknight, then get better and find a way around it! if someone is predictable, they can be punished for it. its up to you to improve, not to whine at us for no reason.
good day to you, sir!"
Post # 51 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175490&page=4

"why cant people accept the fact that Meta Knight takes skill to play"
Post #53 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175490&page=4

"MK takes so much less time and skill to master than any other character its ridiculous."
Post #75 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175490&page=5

"metaknight is only overwhelming if you let him be. if you play smart and find the little openings in his attacks, you should fair well. I don't get mad when i lose to metaknights anymore, cuz it just means that the/she is better than me."
Post #83 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175490&page=6

All of the above was from ONE THREAD. Do I really have to continue?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
so what are you complaining about? is it that you are annoyed by people (most likely n00bs) who use characters high on the tier list and say that they are the best just because of their skills and not the fact that they win using a high tier characters against friends who use lower tiers. and tires don exits for brawl yet.

GRAMMARLOL

Smash Rookie
so what are you complaining about? is it that you are annoyed by people (most likely n00bs) who use characters high on the tier list and say that they are the best just because of their skills and not the fact that they win using a high tier characters against friends who use lower tiers. and tires don exits for brawl yet.
You answered your own question for the most part. And it's pretty widely accepted that at least three characters - which I won't name here - are set for high/god/w.e tier.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
i agree with you wholeheartedly dude. but i think the defenses of players of predicted lower tier characters are even more annoying. The most common one i have heard is "well you must not have played a good (insert low tier character name here). So don't really know how good they are!!!" I think that is bull. I think im a real good falcon but that by no means makes him a higher tier character.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Believe it or not, this is not a false account. I do not hide on the internet, nor do I have a noteworthy alias with a rep worth protecting. In any case, this has nothing to do with my post. And are you saying that it's the "scrubs" who make use those nonsensical statements? If it is, I certainly am not taking them seriously, only mocking their blatant mental deficiency.
Welcome to the boards then, good to see another person that can use whole sentences. But yes, most people who will attempt to defend themselves with those arguments are scrubs.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Stupid people are stupid people. There are stupid people for everything. There's no reason to whine about every single kind of stupid person. The people who zelously defend strong characters with inane arguments are few and obviously stupid.

Pay them no attention.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is...

It is on thin ice. Don't let it degenerate much more.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
You are right, these arguements are stupid.
some characters are over powered, and people should be able to admit that.
wolf is insanely cheap, but i use him. i do what i have to to win, and you should too.
although, i feel, if a character is played right, it can beat overpowered characters.
before i was as good as i am today, i played a yoshi, the yoshi wrecked me. 2-3 stocked me each time. i changed one or two aspects of my wolf, and it completely turned around.
it IS somewhat how you play a character, but if someone is idiotic enough to defend the arguement that snake isnt broken, shut up, because not everyone wants to play snake to be able to win.

oh, and yuna makes a good point. there are some idiots who thinks that they are good at smash because they can beat lvl 9 computers. lets just not complain about them because this thread will go nowhere except into a flame war.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
dude my friend in brawls midnight release tourney won the first 3 matches with MK and he plays now almost the same way and hes pretty good... MK is for begginers who want to get used to brawl cuz hes easy...then there are those who master him...nuff said...

Adius

Smash Rookie
Ignoring the fact that you basically just said "WOW, how STUPID" after each argument you intended to counter, wouldn't it be better to just find a better game to play rather than spend a bunch of time on message boards trying to get people to play the game under the specific terms that you think are fair?

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
You claim to be 'explaining' to use how idiots defend their character. Now, this means that since you oppose this stance, you are for characters which people do not defend. You only NEED to defend your character if it's being attacked, so thus your character is under attack from others. So, if we connect the dots, you are explaining to us how idiots defend characters? But...your defending a position..based on characters...

Since when did we let idiots preach?

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
You claim to be 'explaining' to use how idiots defend their character. Now, this means that since you oppose this stance, you are for characters which people do not defend. You only NEED to defend your character if it's being attacked, so thus your character is under attack from others. So, if we connect the dots, you are explaining to us how idiots defend characters? But...your defending a position..based on characters...

Since when did we let idiots preach?
Ever since televangelism was invented, and probably before that.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Maybe you should just learn to adapt, I mean... It is the player, not the game, after all. Maybe you don't have enough skills to master your character.

And by the way, my character has WEAKNESSES.

Frate

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you should just learn to adapt, I mean... It is the player, not the game, after all. Maybe you don't have enough skills to master your character.

And by the way, my character has WEAKNESSES.
I think you missed the point of the thread. He doesn't whine on the characters, he complains about the numb nuts who blatantly defends their characters and says that metaknight is as good as captain falcon when they spammed their 713th tornado.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I dont defend my character. I know bowsers not amazing it's just a char I like. I agree that MK, wolf and snake are overly strong and hate people who defend that there not.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I never defend my character. If people want to say he's easy, fine by me.

Whatever lies help the sore losers sleep at night. Some characters don't need to be defended, because the only people who complain about the character to begin with are one of three things:

1: Noobs who don't even know what they're talking about. As if there's any other kind.

2: People who are biased immediatly to one character (Simon Belmont) and hate on everyone else.

3: Bandwagon members and the tier-ists.

If anyone really used there character for the right reason, they wouldn't defend them unless they're competitive and there's this thing about banning a certain character from tournaments.

We need to just stop defending characters altogether, I think. If we stop defending, we will stop attacking, because to my knowledge most intelligent attacks on characters are out of defense.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The three chars I mentioned aren't chars I hate. I dont hate any char but if your going to deny that snakes jabs and other moves should be "adaptable" then you need to grow up. The fact that some people deny that there not amazing makes me really annoyed. I dont mind facing then and it dosent matter if they beat me. I never make comments like "you only won cause he's top tier" or " all you did was spam" but if your going to say that a char like ganon or falcon has just as much chances of beating a snake as a snake vs wolf then that is really stupid. If you say it's the player that matters then that is true but the char you chose influences a lot as well.

Top Bottom