• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A conundrum.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
So, I had a tournament that was supposed to be HOMG HUGE last weekend. We only had about.... 47-50 people show up, and only 6 of 'em were OoSers. Mebbe 7 or 8.

My Sonic did pretty terribly, partially because I put myself in a hard bracket, and partially because I hadn't played in a long *** time. I was able to beat scrubby players, but it took WAAAAAAAAAY too **** long. I only got to play good players twice in bracket (lost both times, was 2-0ed), and the rest of the time was spent playing them in friendlies.

Brawl is boring as **** when you're playing scrubs with Sonic. It's not like when you're playing against them in Melee, and you just **** them in under 2 minutes. Sonic has to outplay them, and when you're facing someone that just spams high priority moves in a random order, it takes forever to get around them.

When I'm playing someone better, like Dai-A (who ***** me pretty handily, I might add), Brawl is fun. It's intense. It is almost a good game.

When I'm playing scrubs, I want to scrape my eyeballs out.

I haven't touched Brawl since the tournament, and I'm really debating whether or not to go back to it. On the one hand, it has Sonic, the motha****in' KING of speed. On the other, it's just terrible.

tl;dr - I'm thinking about quitting Brawl because playing crappy players is no fun, and a lot of work. Should I pick up MK and just own until the matches that matter, should I go MK all the way, or should I just quit Brawl and play SSBM, 3s, and GG? Or, do you guys have some secret super-strategy for owning scrubs in under 3 minutes?

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
PICK UP MELEE
And I don't mean this as completely drop the other two, it's just that the people who play Melee
are more likely to be skilled at the game because the "casuals" don't play it as often anymore.
I'm guessing you love playing as Sonic so maybe it'll just be your preference of what game you like to
play competitively but there's more of a challenge in playing Melee so you won't be facing "scrubs" quite as often as you claim.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Best option would be to quit Brawl, providing you've got a good Melee scene around.
If they stuck Sonic in Melee, I sure as hell wouldn't be playing Brawl right now.
And if you're not enjoying Brawl, what's the point in playing it?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Well, you could always try out-gaying them. Like, ledge camp and see how they react.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
just brush em off with someone else. no big deal. but plz. pla. dont choose meta. that path is too low for a sonic main like you.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
no i like your first option

play MK/snake/ insert high tier char here. until you play against good opponents, i do the same thing.
if you want to get rid of scrubs quick, i suggest falco, chaingrab to spike everystock, if they are scrubs, they wont be able to survive
also, play what makes you happy, im playing brawl more thanSC4 right now, because i have more fun, so if you like GG SF or even melty blood at the time play it, i hope you dont give up on brawl cus i looked up to you fro quite a while, but what ever puts a smile on your face, do that

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, I noticed this too. I picked up Falcon to kill bad players `.`;

When I play against bad players, I kill considerably faster with Falcon than I do with Sonic.

At one point, it's kinda sad, but eh, it gets the job done, and it's not (usually) overkill and still somewhat fun.

I guess if they're bad enough, you can throw them off the edge and just blah them to death with Sonic. Gimp kills are still the fastest ._.

Tenki

Smash Hero
oh yeah, if you're playing nooby players, play near the edge, predict rolls (it's a trademark 'bad reflex' movement, isn't it?) and punish said movements with charged smashes.

It's an imperfect technique that I stole from Phoenix Dark, who literally sucks in bad players with Sonic's charging F-smash.

A full charged Fsmash will save you 40% of damage, so I'm guessing it's about 10% less for each half second of charge lol.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
IoZ, I feel the exactly same way as you, but I realized something during my times of dusk...

Sonic is still Sonic, and a john is still a john.
I can't let him go

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
IoZ, I feel the exactly same way as you, but I realized something during my times of dusk...

Sonic is still Sonic, and a john is still a john.
I can't let him go
I'm having the same problem as the two of you...

Is this a pandemic?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'm not losing to the bad players. The match just isn't fun. I do the charged smashes, footstool combos, and all that, but it's just not interesting.

I'll try Falcon first, since I love playing as him anyway. If that doesn't work, MK and Falco, here I come.

And that match was tight, but exactly what I'm talking about. Sonic can beat shuttle loop, but you still have to predict it and space really well, whereas he just needs to keep spam-canceling it. D:

Tenki

Smash Hero
And that match was tight, but exactly what I'm talking about. Sonic can beat shuttle loop, but you still have to predict it and space really well, whereas he just needs to keep spam-canceling it. D:
Oh, so you're up against that...?

if they're using MK, spring counter-spam is like, the only thing you can use to beat initial shuttle loops.

I guess if you can get them to start playing less offensive and start pressuring harder, they'll be more predictable and easier to kill, but otherwise, I'm sorry ;__;

edit:
the stupid part about that was that, according to Ayaz18, that guy using MK won the tourney.

that is disgusting.

ChewyChase

Smash Cadet
The sad thing is that a LOT of people are doing this for whatever reason with the characters that are eh...

'Harder to play', or those where you have to 'outplay your nub spammers'.

Any newb that plays his high priority character versus Sonic you have to win by freaking them out... because approaches that are even relatively normal don't work.

I agree though, and I understand where you're coming from...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
trufax

but kingace is garbage... thats what upsets me, all you have to do is know the mechanics of the game to win with him, i still stand by my suggestion to kill nubs, CG with falco, or if theyre really bad, use ike and kill them at 40% with f-smash

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Oh, so you're up against that...?

if they're using MK, spring counter-spam is like, the only thing you can use to beat initial shuttle loops.

I guess if you can get them to start playing less offensive and start pressuring harder, they'll be more predictable and easier to kill, but otherwise, I'm sorry ;__;

edit:
the stupid part about that was that, according to Ayaz18, that guy using MK won the tourney.

that is disgusting.
That's just wrong... -_-" Sigh, it sure takes skill to play an MK like that... >.>

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Its a kinda weird thing about Sonic, I thought I was the only one, but Sonic has the odd property of you needing to really outplay your opponents no matter their skill level, because he doesn't have any like pure ownage type of things like Falco or Meta. Its annoying sometimes, but at the same time I personally kinda like the fact that when I go against someone with actual skill, it doesn't feel so contrasting in difficulty from going against a noob spammer, at least when compared t using other characters. I usually never start playing with Sonic, and just save him for the end, since at the end of it all, he's by far my best character. Falco, Marth, DK(DK Punch anyone?) etc suffice for noobs in my matches.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
We're living in a time of 'internet pros'. You've just gotta find a strategy to beat these noobs and go ahead.
I watched that match on the Falcon boards. fucking disgusting. Niko actually lost the grand finals against this **** too. This is Brawl for you :')
It's no wonder people hate 95% of Meta mains when you see **** like that actually win a tourney.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
We're living in a time of 'internet pros'. You've just gotta find a strategy to beat these noobs and go ahead.
I watched that match on the Falcon boards. fucking disgusting. Niko actually lost the grand finals against this **** too. This is Brawl for you :')
It's no wonder people hate 95% of Meta mains when you see **** like that actually win a tourney.
Sigh, Brawl is basically
No Items, Final destination, MK only or
No Items, Final destination, Snake only... At least it will be soon... :urg:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
snake is going to eventually become somewhat normal, since his play style is extremely linear. and MK's will learn to dominate him, just like everyone else

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I had a response... about picking up a DK or something. He kills quick, I find him fun yadda yadda yadda... than I realized that this is incredibly sad. I'm in the same boat as alot of you, and it's why I've picked up both Kongs.

::le sigh::

Most depressing and relevant thread on this board.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It's funny. I actually was fooling around with DK yesterday. Someone with a solid connection should help me practice sometime.

Oh, and my guide isn't dead yet. I know I keep putting it off, but it's because I want it to be CORRECT. I'm prolly gonna scrap it, and start over from there.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Izzy, your a ways away from me but I've found a few people out that way that I've played with a decent connection. I'd be happy to try and give you some decent practice.

I'm not on your level skill wise, but it'll let you find out if DK is what your looking for in this case, at least.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
No, it's a fact.

Sonic has low KO power, and as a character sucks enough so that you have to outplay your opponents constantly to win, regardless of skill :laugh:.

PS, unrelated note, this is disgusting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eKQprvO58Q
Garbage. like this is why I have the sig I do now. thank god he lost, but that was so gay that he got away with that for soooooo long because, hey, "im ****ing metaknight". KingAce is the most disgraceful meta I have seen in a video, im sry to say that but its true. the only reason he may have lost was because he tried to do something other than spam, when he didn't spam he was pwned, which shows how meta so covers up a players skill level. i shook my head when i saw that. Really? 40 seconds of shuttle looping? wow. you douche.

omg i need to stop before i rant any furthur. *commences slow breathing*

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
we need to show this match to the meta whores at thier threads who think meta isn't broken because he's light. Ha! Delusional *******s.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Garbage. like this is why I have the sig I do now. thank god he lost, but that was so gay that he got away with that for soooooo long because, hey, "im ****ing metaknight". KingAce is the most disgraceful meta I have seen in a video, im sry to say that but its true. the only reason he may have lost was because he tried to do something other than spam, when he didn't spam he was pwned, which shows how meta so covers up a players skill level. i shook my head when i saw that. Really? 40 seconds of shuttle looping? wow. you douche.

omg i need to stop before i rant any furthur. *commences slow breathing*
The match extended to round 5.

At round 5, he plays a bit campier and less spammy and wins the game much quicker.

:urg: MK might be one of the only characters you can spam-sandbag and still win with lol.

Top Bottom