• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A different approach to desynching and damaging

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
I can not find any of the below anywhere online, let alone on this forum or any desynch guide I've ever read.

I've read on and on about how all the fellow ice climbers need grabs to win the game, or at least get a decent head start in the damage meter.

I was tring the Standing Nana Desynch, and found out something once I figured that out, there is a safer more practical approach to desynching. First just use a basic sqwaul(either side) and then repeatedly go from neutral position on the control stick to any direction(once you chose stay constant if you don't achieve the desynch the first time) and then instantly go back to neutral and press B while in ALL position changes of the control stick. On your second squall you should be desnched enough to perform two different moves(it might look like you are still synched and if you try any move it will look like normal or one of your climbers died, but once you let up on the time between your moves you can really notice the desynch)

Well here is a technique I use (works great with the desynch told above), and haven't ever seen anyone mention it, also it can replace the common blizzard wall, first off you have to be desynched. Once desynched just spam squall and occasionally use a blizzard or a smash, but if you do use a move other than sqaull make sure Popo does not use it or you wont have a guaranteed chance it will hit(make sure you are desynched enough so once one squall runs out the other begins. Using this your opponent cant move let alone escape, and in my experience can lead to a KO faster than a chaingrab or a blizzard.

Please give me your input about this technique, and post if you can/cannot figure out the desynch(or if a video is needed to be posted to better explain what happens during the desynch).

chewyy

Smash Ace
It is not difficult to escape desynched squalls. Also, wtf does "press B while in ALL position changes of the control stick" mean? Also, anything involving squall for a desynch is almost undoubtedly too slow to be practical.

Edit: there may have been a better place to put this. I don't keep track of where stuff goes, but 90% of the threads that are made are shut down and someone says "this should be in the Q&A thread."

J4pu

Smash Champion
desynced squall isnt that great in my (little) experience

is it completely awful? no, but it isn't going to become a cornerstone of the IC metagame as far as I can see

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
From my experience, desynched Squall Hammer is easily DI'ed out of and punished, even with two Climbers. Blizzard Wall is much safer, since you can actually space with it.

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
how can you break this? Every person I've played with cant even manage to do anything to stop me(I do not do this past 50% only if an oportunity comes I do before 50%).

and press B in every position means press B when the control stick is in neutral, direction you put it and half way between the two. Once you push it three or more you should be desynched.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Wifi me, il go snake, wel have fun : D
lmao

but yeah, from what i understood from your post, you're recommending a desync'd squall lock, correct? that hasn't really worked since the first month or so brawl was out. DI makes it easy to escape. look at it this way: if you push into them with your squalls, they can DI through you and then wind up behind you. if you don't push enough, then they can DI backwards and punish your end lag (because, dear god, there will be end lag).

its better to use desync'd squall -> blizzard if you're going to use it all. sync'd squall is a much better attack, but even it isn't a safe attack and can usually wind up getting you punished if you spam it too much.

for locking people, desync'd blizzard walls are a better option (most of the time) and should be used over squall in practically every occasion.

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
okay, I've realized desynched squalls are a huge no-no, but what about that desynch during the synched squall. Is that a new discovery/garbage/old one?

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
you don't have to squall twice though, input any move(i said on second you would be desyched, so input whatever) all desynchs let any move after desynch, i just said 2nd squall because of the combo i was talking about in the post.

I thought it was kinda sorta useful because you could grab the ledge after recovering and squall desynch then blizzard wall since they would most likely be in your squall lag if they are trying to edge-guard you.

Oh and for the description I mean this:
1st- squall
2nd- jam the control stick opposite direction(direction you dont want to move in) the split second you are in the starting lag of the squall, i guess you could call it the wind up since that is the motion they kinda make
3rd- go to a almost a dash in the direction you want to move in and release the control stick back to neutral
4th- dash in the direction you want to go again(this time you dont have to release if you dont want to)
5th- input any move (i input the move 2 times just so im certain i get the desych out, it only comes out for 1 climber though)

that is exactly what i do, it works every time for me, input controls perfectly or it wont work(i think blizzard actually gives you more time to act if you chose that as your first move input, the other climber should still be in the squall so you get a little extra chance to grab)

if these directions dont work for you just keep trying (think of the SND except while moving and not being able to cancel anything movement)

chewyy

Smash Ace
you don't have to squall twice though, input any move(i said on second you would be desyched, so input whatever) all desynchs let any move after desynch, i just said 2nd squall because of the combo i was talking about in the post.

I thought it was kinda sorta useful because you could grab the ledge after recovering and squall desynch then blizzard wall since they would most likely be in your squall lag if they are trying to edge-guard you.

Oh and for the description I mean this:
1st- squall
2nd- jam the control stick opposite direction(direction you dont want to move in) the split second you are in the starting lag of the squall, i guess you could call it the wind up since that is the motion they kinda make
3rd- go to a almost a dash in the direction you want to move in and release the control stick back to neutral
4th- dash in the direction you want to go again(this time you dont have to release if you dont want to)
5th- input any move (i input the move 2 times just so im certain i get the desych out, it only comes out for 1 climber though)

that is exactly what i do, it works every time for me, input controls perfectly or it wont work(i think blizzard actually gives you more time to act if you chose that as your first move input, the other climber should still be in the squall so you get a little extra chance to grab)

if these directions dont work for you just keep trying (think of the SND except while moving and not being able to cancel anything movement)
edit: So the jist of it is:
(let's say I'm doing it to the right)

hit right (or left?) + B
Tap left (immediately after starting the squall?)
move the joystick to the right, but not all the way (how soon after? ASAP? does it matter?)
all joystick to go to neutral position (when?? how long??)
Move the joystick to right and hold it there (when?? how long??)
input a move (allow the joystick to go to neutral position if needed?)

Also, just double checking: you are NOT hitting an opponent with this, right?

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
edit: So the jist of it is:
(let's say I'm doing it to the right)

hit right (or left?) + B
Tap left (immediately after starting the squall?)
move the joystick to the right, but not all the way (how soon after? ASAP? does it matter?)
all joystick to go to neutral position (when?? how long??)
Move the joystick to right and hold it there (when?? how long??)
input a move (allow the joystick to go to neutral position if needed?)

Also, just double checking: you are NOT hitting an opponent with this, right?

that looks right

hit right + B (if you want your squall to right)
Tap left (immediately after starting the squall)
move the joystick to the right, but not all the way (ASAP and this is the part that really matters
all joystick to go to neutral position (as soon as the joystick is in the position of the last step you release it to neutral)
Move the joystick to right and hold it there (hold it there as long as you want to move, seems if you stop moving the desynch becomes even more time dependent)
input a move (you are now desynched so do anything really)

chewyy

Smash Ace
Lol, sounds very similar to the normal squall desynch. I'll try this later, but I bet it's the same thing. Does it matter how fast/slow you press b?

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
yes it matters the speed of the B being pushed.

What is the normal squall desynch?

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
gonna keep that a secret?

Maybe the desynching thread? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243922

It's number 16.
Oh and looking into the normal squall desynch it is much different.

If you are a good IC player you SHOULD know by now that all desynchs involve precise timings.

chewyy how bout a wifi battle? me vs you, we will see who actually knows the ICs better, you do seem to be a little know it all when it comes to them. PM me your info if you accept, if not then don't talk like you know it all.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
If you are a good IC player you SHOULD know by now that all desynchs involve precise timings.

chewyy how bout a wifi battle? me vs you, we will see who actually knows the ICs better, you do seem to be a little know it all when it comes to them. PM me your info if you accept, if not then don't talk like you know it all.
1) ICs are terrible on wi-fi

2) wi-fi is in no way a valid medium to determine who knows a character better

3) lolwifi

chewyy

Smash Ace
Oh and looking into the normal squall desynch it is much different.
Going to explain how it's different?
Lol, relevance?
lolwifi.

Top Bottom