• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few differences between Japanese and American Brawl. HUGE UPDATE!!!

180OP

Smash Journeyman
We got an early release today of the American version today, and we've noticed a few things that have changed.

Falco can no longer Short Hop Double Laser

It still can't be DI'd, or fast fell, but the singular laser will hit the standing target, most of the time. (There's still a bit of timing to be done) His short hop is more along the lines of his melee counter-part now.

Marth's Fair has a bit more lag.

Thank god. Upon landing, Marth's Japanese Fair would **** as it canceled into anything. In his American suits, he seems to have a BIT more lag. Nothing CRAZY, or anything, but enough for him to not be able to grab you after. (At least, most of the time)

Some characters talk in English now!!!

Joke. Albeit, Pit sounds lame now.

IT GOT PATCHED!!!!

Falco can jump normally now, this is madness! This could mean worlds of opportunity to updates!
What do you mean jump normally now? His melee short hop? Date your updates please if it isnt too much trouble.

pedoo

Smash Rookie
All I want is longer timed matches over Wifi.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee sakuraiiiiiii.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
So, I just got home. I can't get online with it right now (my whole wireless network is currently down), but as far as Marth/Falco changes, it doesn't appear to be any different. I'd really have to take a close look at Marth's F-Air I guess but Falco's laser is the same as it is in the JP version. I don't think the retail NA version contains any content/mechanics changes.

Iraku

Smash Cadet
In case any of you missed it, CJay (who has English Brawl and has video proof of it) is saying there aren't any changes.

So, is it or isn't it?
That was what I was wondering. The poster of this topic is the only one who has confirmed this. Also, if it is a patch, what kept them from doing the patch for the Japanese version at the same time for something this simple? Can anyone else possibly confirm any of this? EDIT: Metzger seems to say the same thing as CJay. Hm.

Some characters talk in English now!!!
Joke. Albeit, Pit sounds lame now.
Erm, what is "Joke." supposed to mean in this context? That you don't like any of the English voices?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Starcraft is THE most well-known competitive video game in the world, and it has received a large number of patches, some of which over the course of time have made significant changes to certain units and buildings. Glitches have been removed when found, of course.

And still it's considered the most competitive video game there is.

So what's so different about Smash Bros?

CrazyShaman

Smash Apprentice
wow, patches, this opens so many doors, so long as they don't go nerf happy or remove useful advanced techs. Wonder if they might consider letting us remove tripping?

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Right this is why around 70% (ooo looky me I can make up statistics to look cool/smart as well) at N64 Smash bros Netplay is Kirby.
You do realize Pikachu is the best character in SSB64, right? If you're going to try to "look smart," you should at least know what you're talking about first.

Heard of a game called starcraft? Has about roughly 20 patches, and look at it now. 10 years on its the most widely played RTS game and probably the most competitive game out there.
Startcraft is an RTS. Smash Bros. is a party game/fighter. You cannot compare the two. A game like Starcraft needs to have the smallest details adjusted because it relies on balance. When you have only a few races to choose from, you better make sure they're balanced or the game will end up being ****ty. A game like Smash Bros. with so many characters doesn't rely on perfect balance. Instead, it relies on certain characters being able to beat others while having counterpicks of their own.

The game is not more balanced than Melee. Whose opinions have you been listening to? Pretty much all competitive players I've seen talk about the game agree that it's less balanced in general!

And if they patch it right, it will get more balanced. Patches just mean relearning something. If you can't readjust a simple timing-difference, then you're not really that good of a player (if you can learn every single technique's timing, then you should be able to re-adjust).
I've been listening to my own opinions. I've played the game. It seems much more balanced than Melee was. Sure, some slower characters may have gotten screwed over without l-cancelling, but everyone else seems pretty balanced so far. This may change as people get better with each character, but for now, balance doesn't seem to be an issue.

And yes, I agree with you about the game being more balanced if it's patched correctly. However, like I said in my first post, if they keep on patching constantly, adjusting tiny little details, the game will not be more balanced. It'll end up being like any other MMO with classes where one class gets a buff/nerf that affects how it performs against others, the other classes complain, causing buffs/nerfs of their own, then other classes complain, causing even more buffs/nerfs.

So what's so different about Smash Bros?
See above.

Patches are fine and dandy when they are infrequent and only fix game-breaking glitches. However, when we start getting barraged with patches, it only causes chaos.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I'm really pissed that Pikachu doesn't have his party hat. I hated Pichu, and so I hate the fact that Pikachu's awesome costumes were replaced by Pichu's ***goty costumes.

[/briefrant]

I hope they patch the game so tripping is more common, just as a "**** you" to all the people who constantly ***** about tripping.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
What does, "Falco jumps normally now", mean? Hasn't he always just jumped? He never DJC or anything else that I know of.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
These were in another thread for supposed American Brawl changes....any one of you early owners like Metzger wanna check them out?

jr.lizardking said:
I got my american copy of brawl yesterday, lets just say a certain store was selling it early in my area . I also have the japanese version(downloaded) and I just wanted to post about a few differences ive noticed.

In the american version, I did a test(i'll post a video later) , and ice climbers are about 10% faster while running, but there moves are the same speed.

Ike's side b doesen't get meatblocked anymore

On ruins, when you go to unlock wolf, if you use pit, it goes to sonic instead.

snakes 'fury'(red and white one) camo is replaced with ga-ko, and in one of his taunts .

I unlocked a landmaster trophie after using fox wolf and falcos final smash(I think this is how i unlocked it, I got it after a match using wolf's final smash)

The replay feature can save the whole match if you use the SD card feature(I geuss nintendo decided to change this?)

Pikachu's down special does less damage, and his down smash has less range.

the knee seems easier to hit with (captain falcon) or at least it seems like it, didn't test that really.

A gamecube tropy, I got it like right away(i have all trophies in melee, that might be it.)

DeDeDe's up b has more horizontal motion(significant difference, i'll try to get this in a vid later)

That's all for now i'll keep you posted.

aho43

Smash Lord
i doubt there are any differences. US brawl was delayed so they could print more copies, not make tweaks to the game.

gnosis

Smash Lord
If I could patch one thing I'd increase hit stun in general. Or decrease knockback on some moves or something. Something to make more and longer combos.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too sure about these tweaks either but consider this. Many times developers continue working on the game after its release. They probably didn't want to delay it further so they decided to patch it later. It could be that the Japanese version will get the same changes before the us release.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
If there really are that many changes, then it just shows that Sakurai, while he's got some great game ideas, can be a little incompetent when it comes to directing sometimes. The game versions should have been finalized and synchronized long before it ever came out anywhere.

Xedi

Smash Cadet
So is this unlimited time for replays saved to SD confirmed ? Because that would be utter awesomeness.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If there really are that many changes, then it just shows that Sakurai, while he's got some great game ideas, can be a little incompetent when it comes to directing sometimes. The game versions should have been finalized and synchronized long before it ever came out anywhere.
What? No, it means the opposite of that: his commitment to balance and gameplay exceeds that of the window given to release the game. Lord knows what people would have said if it was delayed any more...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well it's pretty obvious which version I'll be importing then. Nerfed Marth all the way, even if it's a minor nerf.

Now all they need to do is fix Toon Link and buff Jigglypuff/Falcon/Link/Yoshi a bit and it'd be a dream.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
I'm confused. Doesn't IT GOT PATCHED!!! mean that JP Version got their game patched to the nerfs that happened in US Version?

pirkid

Smash Lord
I'm confused. Doesn't IT GOT PATCHED!!! mean that JP Version got their game patched to the nerfs that happened in US Version?
A patch usually refereed to a byte developers send after the game is complete and has been played. It's used to fix bugs, balance gameplay, etc. This 'patch' is more of a repair. A good one.

Chepe

Smash Lord
You know, while I doubt they will release separate patches online, it is extremely viable for one version to patch another when playing online.

The DS Pokemon games have been doing this. In the JPN versions, there is an exploit with the move "Pursuit" that got fixed in the NA version so you cant do it anymore. What happens when a JPN and NA Diamond/Pearl play each other online? The NA one's coding for Pursuit takes precedence, and the the exploit cant be done even if you try it on the JPN version...

Brawl's coding may include a line which tells it to follow the coding of a more recent version of the game when playing it online. Something like a 1.1 version always doing what the 1.2 and up versions say, and such...

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Also dunno if the Japan's Netgame server Kaillera is just bad or something, but I can't even connect to them over I get 1000MS. (Talking about N64 Smash Bros online)

Which meaning it probably will be the same for brawl unless brawl's server is way better..... Uber Lag will happen.

On good Japan servers I get about 84MS to them, which is less then 1/10th of a second. I still can't get in the server though because most japan servers cut you off at about 70MS or so from what I've seen. I can also get into European servers with less then 140 ping, lag in brawl won't be that bad unless Nintendo somehow manages to make their servers worse then kaillera, which doesn't really seem possible to me.

Top Bottom