• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions...

Zida

Smash Rookie
I'm currently practicing for a tourney, but I'm a little nervous. This is a random tourney, not a neutral or counter-pick tourney. I main Olimar so some stages will likely screw me over (for lack of better words). I'm okay with Falco and Marth, but I don't quite feel confident with them. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I just go with Olimar and hope for decent stages? What are some ways I can recover a bit easier on some stages?

Also, I see a lot of people that love Olimar's super armor during the first few frames of his down-b. Is there really any use of it when I can just spot dodge/air dodge? Are the super armor frames given quicker in the down-b than invincibility frames in a spot dodge? Even then, you still take damage.

gOld7

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently practicing for a tourney, but I'm a little nervous. This is a random tourney, not a neutral or counter-pick tourney. I main Olimar so some stages will likely screw me over (for lack of better words). I'm okay with Falco and Marth, but I don't quite feel confident with them. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I just go with Olimar and hope for decent stages? What are some ways I can recover a bit easier on some stages?
It shouldn't be to hard to recover on any stage. My best advice would be to the basic double jump and up-B technique. Olimar has a quite a boost with his Pikman ( Up-B I mean ). Does Olimar tether because that's always helpful while trying to return to the stage.

Zida

Smash Rookie
It's not "quite a boost" at all. It IS a tether and not much else. It puts you up in the air maybe a couple inches. This means that edge-hogging is rampant against Olimar players. There's not much I can do against it, especially in annoying stages with a lot going on.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Just have a basic mindset of "go with the flow", that's the best I can say if this is a random tourney.
How are the rules? No items, items, time, stock?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Tbh i would spend this time practicing your marth since he would least likely to be affected by the stages and olimar is greatly affected by them for obvious reasons. But however I would like to see the stage lists that would be selected by random to see what are you chances of getting a bad stage. Also is this tournament 2/3 sets?

Zida

Smash Rookie
I was thinking about the Marth thing. It's just the fact that I play Olimar tons better and feel more confident about. I believe the stages are all Brawl and Melee stages, sadly. I think it's just one 3-stock match and not 2/3.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
If its every stage then yes, I would be confident with olimar if you are decent enough with the
down B to not get back knocked off the after you have used your second jump. And some of the banned stages we use could be beneficial to olimar actually.

Smash Master
Pick Metaknight. Every crazy stage is good for Metaknight. It's not hard to learn him either.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I'm sure you know that Olimar is floaty and can sometimes make it back to the level without using his second jump, so most of the time you won't need his up+B.

To deal with edgehoggers, idk what to tell ya. Every other tether recoverer has a way to deal with them lol.

As for the super armor, players can punish airdodges, you cant punish super armor :p

Good luck in your tourney :D

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
The best advice has already been given. Pick MK if you want to win at all costs. MK has no true counter and no true counter pick. And you can learn him in a few days. Just enjoy all those MK dittos.

Zida

Smash Rookie
I see. I guess I'd better start learning my super armor over air dodging then. Btw, I'm completely against touching MK lol.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I see. I guess I'd better start learning my super armor over air dodging then. Btw, I'm completely against touching MK lol.
Meta Knight: NO, I am your father. Search your feelings. You know it to be true. Join me. With the power of the dark side, we will rule the galaxy.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Well the only thing you can do to get rid of edge hogers is to throw a purple pikmin at them. Do this by learning how the down B works, mind the line, count how many times you've used your downB, and keeping track of how much of each pikmin you have so instead of using the down B which increases your fall rate, use a aerial to switch them.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Well the only thing you can do to get rid of edge hogers is to throw a purple pikmin at them. Do this by learning how the down B works, mind the line, count how many times you've used your downB, and keeping track of how much of each pikmin you have so instead of using the down B which increases your fall rate, use a aerial to switch them.
That's hella situational. Also, throwing Pikmin just decreases the reach of the up-b. If someone is edge guarding you and you're using Olimar, you're pretty much f***ed.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Well yes I am not denying the amount of ****ness you are in, im just saying that is the only known way of getting out of it.

Zida

Smash Rookie
Lets hope I get Norfair on random every time. Hahah. Anyway, thanks for making me a little more confident in my character selection. I'm gonna stick to Olimar. Hopefully the fact that he's not used very much around here (or very much at all compared to MK and others) will throw people off, as they won't be used to fighting him.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Oli is t3h r4p3n33s, I used to use him a lot and when others use him against me. I absolutely hate his Utilt and Nair, uggggg lol.

Once again gl and go rep Olimar hard son.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Remember, in the thick of it all, that you don't give a crap about what the opponent thinks.

If you pivot grab him 9 times and he starts crying, he just gave you a flyer that said PIVOT GRAB ME, I CAN'T COPE. Don't feel sorry, play gay, and show him you can pivot grab through his annoying sobs.

Top Bottom