• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A fresh and sleek new HUD

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Yea, that HUD was my favorite one, and I would love to see it finished at some point. I am happy with shun's square stock one for now, but I would switch to that one if it was available.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i have no idea whats up with the pack, but i downloaded it and installed it fresh yesterday, and it doesnt work - only some characters and some character colors get the new HUD, and others get a seethrough one thats the same size as brawls HUD :I

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
...Hm...not sure what's going on for that error to happen Calvo, sorry.

In other news, I'm gearing up to dig into this again for a bit. It'll mostly be me making the small suggestions I can, but I've been swimming in reality for the past few months. Spring Break is soon, so hopefully I can get some stuff done for the community soon.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Hi all

I was wondering what you all think about a slight change I made to the new HUD. All I did basically was take the icons out of the background. A friend of mine wanted me to do it for him, so I figured I'd see how everyone else likes it, and if it would be worth hamyojo adding as an alternate download. I'm going to move the line over the damage down one or two pixels so that hopefully it sits right on the percentage.

Video preview of it is here.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Nice work Amazerommu. I like the change you've made, personally. I'd say go ahead and post it here. Anyone who likes it would probably be glad you did.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Hey apples / anyone who would know, what exactly are the dimensions for the size of the damage font and percent sign? I'm working on a few fonts that I hope could be used in the pixel hud.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Hey apples / anyone who would know, what exactly are the dimensions for the size of the damage font and percent sign? I'm working on a few fonts that I hope could be used in the pixel hud.
I was looking through my files today and wouldn't you know it, Apples had sent me the damage font he used for his mock-ups some time ago. I have the font and the stocks, so what's left is to start positioning things and creating BP's. This should save us some time.

I should have something to show before today ends.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Well I just whipped together a couple I'll post anyways. Maybe they will help some way or another

And I found this one that seems to vibe well with the pixel style, its the font from the first Fatal Fury game

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one

I actually like the numbers at the size they are, but I can make them bigger if need be. The stocks will be moved over and lined up nicely to fit like the mock-ups and custom BPs will be made to further use this...and I'll make sure to include a training mode.pac when we're finished.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
I was looking through my files today and wouldn't you know it, Apples had sent me the damage font he used for his mock-ups some time ago. I have the font and the stocks, so what's left is to start positioning things and creating BP's. This should save us some time.

I should have something to show before today ends.
Well, I kept working a bit, and I came up with three decent designs. If you like any, feel free to use them, or let me know if there is something you'd like me to edit with any of them.

And if you'd like, I can get to making battle portraits. Not tough, just a bit time consuming.

I was thinking, is it possible to stretch elements of the hud, such as the franchise symbol, instead of just re-position them? Because, to make it look like the mockup, you could just use this:
as the franchise image for falco, stretch it to the proper size, and overlay the BP, stock, and damage images on top.

This would mean every franchise logo would need to be edited to look like
but thats really not a big deal for how awesome it would look.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Out of those 3 designs, personally I like the 1st one best Kneato.

And I like the idea you have about using the franchise symbol for the outline. I was actually thinking the same thing, just using the spot where the names usually are under the BPs, I wasn't sure if that would've worked though.

Also, if you guys need help at all please let me know. I've been busy the past week so I haven't been around the forums as much but now I'm back and able to help as much as I can.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Nice work Amazerommu. I like the change you've made, personally. I'd say go ahead and post it here. Anyone who likes it would probably be glad you did.
Haha thanks. Once I finish some adjustments I'll post it here for whoever wants it.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'll give the stretched franchise logo's a shot. Should have an image to post today as far as progress goes as well.

For BP's, I'll make one to test and work with the HUD so we know the right dimensions to use, then you guys can jump on board and make the rest. Unless someone else wants to make the test BP for me? Only thing you need to keep in mind is it has to fit in the normal BP dimensions, but be a complete square (and include the border)

EDIT:

...Potential problem has been hit. I've put the grid in the BP and franchise logo's respectively, but the franchise logo's will be the color of whatever player is playing. I could make it black, but that would make the logo black as well. I think it looks fine, personally, but what do I know.

Still need to re-position the damage numbers, but other than that, it's pretty much in a state where we can move forward. I should post the BP template I used for Link, but I'll get a tad more feed-back before doing that so you guys can get to work on the tedious part (I'll pitch in on that front as well).

Kneato

Totoro Joe
To be honest, if you made it all black, or at least that greyish color apples did in the mockup, it wouldn't look that bad.

Actually, there is a different solution. Keep the franchise symbols vanilla, but make the BP template this:

That way, you can keep the franchise color corresponding to the player number. Also, because the empty stock spots are behind the actual stock icons in the z buffer, they will be hidden until the player loses a stock, and it will have that cool empty stock spot look feel thingy. Yeah.

I realize that the BP's have to be of a certain size, but I think it would work if we were to make the BP's like so
to keep the square dimension, then stretch horizontally to
in-game to be the proper dimensions.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
The BP's will take a HUGE hit in quality if we try that. BP proportions have to be 48x56 regardless of how much of that space is filled. At that size, everything looks very scrunched and expanded will just look blurry.

I tried it out, and this is what it looks like (mind you, the x space has only been doubled here. Larger spacing makes it look worse):

What I'm going to do is just use darker colors on the Logo's and bring up the visibility a bit. I can add the stock squares that way as well, but with the dimensions we're working with, less detail is better.

Best solution would be to add a model to info.pac that contained the border textures. I would run into the same problem trying to use vBrawls BP because it doesn't use a normal texture.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Sorry, does that mean you are going to split the border into the left half being part of the BP and the right half being part of the franchise logo, or are you adding the whole thing in as a model in the info.pac?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
The BP/Logo split. I am incapable of adding models, and I'm concerned about going over the file-size limit as well. However, the darker colors do look better, so just some more minor adjustments and I'll update this post (unless someone posts after me).

Badge

Smash Apprentice
While the other HUD is being worked on, here's a first release of the simple, melee-inspired HUD you may have seen in any of my videos, for example here. I originally wanted this HUD to be released together with a matching set of Pixel-BPs, but those may still take while. This is what you're looking at:

• A very simple HUD, that get's rid of any unnecessary clutter
  • Less obstrusive "Go!"-sign
  • Standard BP compatible
  • Training mode .pac included
-Download-

Credit goes to the HUD team. Using jdaster's Melee damage font made from fatman667's font resources.

Pixel BPs will be uploaded in some form at a later point in time and then be posted on Smashboards.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Hey Shun, question. I read through the little tutorial in the OP on HUD editing, and I'm missing one bit. Once you add the offsets together, what exactly are you opening with the Hex Editor? The brres Misc30 file?

Also, is it not possible to just edit the Boxmin, Boxmax, Translation, etc. in the bones section of whatever element you are editing's MDL0? Instead of Hex editing?

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Alright, I posted this in the other thread, maybe someone here will be able to help

"...as I was fixing the ABP's I ran into a major issue. I can't save. Anything. At all. I have no idea whats wrong. I've uninstalled, reinstalled brawlbox, reinstalled microsoft net framework, run as administrator, used difference bbox versions, tried different file types, restart the computer, everything. I can save as, but any time I try to just save I get the following: "Unable to open file for write access". In versions of bbox .65 and earlier I get that the file is in use and can't be saved.

Really need some help here if anyone knows whatsup."

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Hey Shun, question. I read through the little tutorial in the OP on HUD editing, and I'm missing one bit. Once you add the offsets together, what exactly are you opening with the Hex Editor? The brres Misc30 file?

Also, is it not possible to just edit the Boxmin, Boxmax, Translation, etc. in the bones section of whatever element you are editing's MDL0? Instead of Hex editing?
Open MiscData30 in a hex editor. And I believe so, it should work if you just edit those files directly.

Alright, I posted this in the other thread, maybe someone here will be able to help

"...as I was fixing the ABP's I ran into a major issue. I can't save. Anything. At all. I have no idea whats wrong. I've uninstalled, reinstalled brawlbox, reinstalled microsoft net framework, run as administrator, used difference bbox versions, tried different file types, restart the computer, everything. I can save as, but any time I try to just save I get the following: "Unable to open file for write access". In versions of bbox .65 and earlier I get that the file is in use and can't be saved.

Really need some help here if anyone knows whatsup."
Sounds like a bizarre instance in which Brawlbox opens itself twice, then prevents you from saving the file because it is already open. Not sure how to fix it, but that sounds like what the problem is.

MVP

Smash Ace
no ones posted here in a while... hows that new hud coming along?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Still some things to edit and position. I had to pause development and take care of real life, but I'll get it done (probably before June).

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I will also post the slightly edited one that I made once I get back from vacation for those who like that one as well. Had that finished for a while just never got around to posting it.

Cuban Legend

Smash Apprentice
I will also post the slightly edited one that I made once I get back from vacation for those who like that one as well. Had that finished for a while just never got around to posting it.
Yup I've been waiting for yours lol. It's going to bring less clutter than ever to my PM 2.5b install. Thanks ahead of time!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Alright here that thing is finally, slightly edited original Sleek HUD made to look much less intrusive. I only have videos of it in use because too lazy to get other No Homebrew SD Card updated with this thing to take snapshots of it. I also included the info_training.pac as well.

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?shk59kzqci0q62n

And video of HUD in... action... except-not-really-because-stationary. Also video is actually for my Peach Melee sfx hack... heheh. The battle starts at about 1:30

B.W.

Smash Champion
Fancy ones look fine, but smaller (or empty) ones make it easier to see the game when you're playing.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Emptier interfaces are usually less intrusive, making the game more immersive for the one playing it. Also as Project-05 said... you can see the game easier. I'm sure a lot of you have had issues on bigger stages (Hyrule Temple) where the icons are situated just so they block everything you do (which will probably still happen but won't be near as big of a problem.)

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Why do people like empty looking interfaces so much? Fancy ones are pretty cool too.
No design is good design!
"Fancy" designs are cool too, but once you get past the "Ooh, that's so cool!" phase of working with something like that, it only gets in the way rather than helping you focus on the game it's designed around.

Also I still exist, for anyone wondering.

MVP

Smash Ace
just curious no rush here but when is that hud comin in?

Cuban Legend

Smash Apprentice
Alright here that thing is finally, slightly edited original Sleek HUD made to look much less intrusive. I only have videos of it in use because too lazy to get other No Homebrew SD Card updated with this thing to take snapshots of it. I also included the info_training.pac as well.

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?shk59kzqci0q62n

And video of HUD in... action... except-not-really-because-stationary. Also video is actually for my Peach Melee sfx hack... heheh. The battle starts at about 1:30
Whats that one stripe above the Damage %, can you get rid of that as well or is that a left over glitch>?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Whats that one stripe above the Damage %, can you get rid of that as well or is that a left over glitch>?

That stripe was actually put there intentionally as a 'replacement' for the franchise icons. It can be removed if you would like it completely gone. I initially put it there for people to be able to tell what player they were. (1st, red, 2nd, blue, 3rd, yellow, blah blah)

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
That stripe was actually put there intentionally as a 'replacement' for the franchise icons. It can be removed if you would like it completely gone. I initially put it there for people to be able to tell what player they were. (1st, red, 2nd, blue, 3rd, yellow, blah blah)
I Like the strip. Minimalist, yes functional

Cuban Legend

Smash Apprentice
Good point. I'll keep that line then, thanks.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
honestly, i think the stripe would look better underneath the portrait/percent

ZeroSlash™

Smash Cadet
Noob question, is there any way to use the "sleek" HUD w/squares on normal Brawl? (Not P:M or vBrawl, etc)

When I use it, it does shrink the battle portrait but doesn't use the stock icons or number font.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Until Kneato's badboy comes out I think I'll stick with the Melee HUD for simplicity/battle focus like others have said.

Also thank you users that have contributed to this thread, I appreciate all the HUDs made and couldn't have asked for anything better.

It's like having amazing gifts you're not sure which one is the best because they're all amazing. It's all about your personal prefrence, and that's what I like the most.

I applaud you all

Top Bottom