• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Friendly, Mature Reminder

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
erm yup i'm a newb, and i have to admit that strategy guide is what led me to this site... but hey, not my first forum, and i'll find my way around soon enough. i gotta say though, acting like you were born playing the most hardcore fighting games and were never a newb like myself has got to be the most idiotic thing on this planet.
I didn't use that as an insult. Wasn't it clear that I used "n00b" and "newb" differently?
Thingy person is just trying to make himself look big and bad: "The way I see it, Smashboards is NOT the first place to go for talking about Brawl. Idle chat doesn't belong here, so boot out anyone who can't enrich the forum." the internet belongs to nobody, and dont act like it does.
This forum belongs to somebody. And the members are allowed to care about its livability. Besides, I'm sure this isn't the only place to talk about Smash?

I suppose I'm a bit controversial about banning people not clearly breaking rules. In my view, the rules shouldn't be a surefire to not getting appreciated since b&ship doesn't compromise a person. So I think banning someone who is clearly out of place will spare many people a lot of dickery.

Also, I changed my mind on something.
Me said:
Smashboards is no place for idle chat
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK *****
Someone else said:
The threads themselves aren't the problem, it's the fact that they appear every half an hour
Yeah, that's better. I made a harsh overstatement.

It's not that I scoff at the really new kind of newbie who are overjoyed at having a place to talk about Brawl, I just don't like them. And I just don't believe Smashboards is the right place for them. And don't be fooled by my join date, I only rediscovered my account last January, so don't call me elitist based on that.

XxLunar_KnightxX

Smash Rookie
I didn't use that as an insult. Wasn't it clear that I used "n00b" and "newb" differently?
This forum belongs to somebody. And the members are allowed to care about its livability. Besides, I'm sure this isn't the only place to talk about Smash?

I suppose I'm a bit controversial about banning people not clearly breaking rules. In my view, the rules shouldn't be a surefire to not getting appreciated since b&ship doesn't compromise a person. So I think banning someone who is clearly out of place will spare many people a lot of dickery.
by all means, yes, if someones bein a troll or a flamer or just a genral jerk, then they dont deserve to be in a forum that exiists for discussing startegies and characters. i just think its stupid to put people down for not being born holding a controller and doing jab cancels and dash grabs.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I applaud the opening post.
I guess i should preface my feedback by admitting I'm not a member of this community. I didn't just come by way of Prima either though. I first went to gamefaqs for brawl discussion, realized that it was nothing but casual players, and then google-searched to find a serious super smash community.
Many of you may be upset about new players flooding into the forum. And it is true that you want your community to be composed of a certain kind of people, even at the expense of such a community being a smaller one.
But you have to learn to sift between the three different properties that make forum members undesirable: there is ignorance, there is rudeness, and there is refusal to accept correction.
Rudeness shouldn't be tolerated at all. For every rude person that is in the forum, there are three people that never joined or left early (even if they couldn't put their finger on it) because of rudeness. It's a character quality, and if after one warning that forum user won't stop, they probably won't stop at all.
Ignorance is forgivable. Ignorance can be completely accidental, and a completely good person may not know they are in the wrong section of the forums, may not know that items are unimportant, and may not know the information they are looking for is already available somewhere.
Ignorance can be cured. Eventually that user will learn, and will be a valuable member of the community. It's a burden at first but it is worth it.
Refusal to take correction can be the source of repeated problems that seriously bother older members, and people who make the same "mistake" over and over again need to be censured.

XxLunar_KnightxX

Smash Rookie
I applaud the opening post.
I guess i should preface my feedback by admitting I'm not a member of this community. I didn't just come by way of Prima either though. I first went to gamefaqs for brawl discussion, realized that it was nothing but casual players, and then google-searched to find a serious super smash community.
Many of you may be upset about new players flooding into the forum. And it is true that you want your community to be composed of a certain kind of people, even at the expense of such a community being a smaller one.
But you have to learn to sift between the three different properties that make forum members undesirable: there is ignorance, there is rudeness, and there is refusal to accept correction.
Rudeness shouldn't be tolerated at all. For every rude person that is in the forum, there are three people that never joined or left early (even if they couldn't put their finger on it) because of rudeness. It's a character quality, and if after one warning that forum user won't stop, they probably won't stop at all.
Ignorance is forgivable. Ignorance can be completely accidental, and a completely good person may not know they are in the wrong section of the forums, may not know that items are unimportant, and may not know the information they are looking for is already available somewhere.
Ignorance can be cured. Eventually that user will learn, and will be a valuable member of the community. It's a burden at first but it is worth it.
Refusal to take correction can be the source of repeated problems that seriously bother older members, and people who make the same "mistake" over and over again need to be censured.
woah. incredibly good point. i guess its in human nature to put down the "smaller" creatures (ignorant n00bs) and especially in an area like a forum, where people are but lines of text, not faces and personalities. however, this could be a good thing-- no one discriminating by race, gender, religion, age, etc., people just being people and discussing whats important to them. but its gotten to the point where, instead, this becomes an area, not full of people, but full of adversaries to have flaming keyboard wars with.

XxLunar_KnightxX

Smash Rookie
for creating this thread, you are gay
oh man, oh man, heres exactly what the OP was talkin about. a slur to peoples sexual orientation, a cheap stab at a decent guy, and a show of hatred. for the love of god, please post something relevant and meaningful. people will be willing to talk to you if youre open and friendly, i promise; thats how peoples minds work. you be nice, youll get niceness back. rude gets rudeness back.

Zinger314

Smash Cadet
[you see people like snoopfrogg are like the ignorant n00bs who think they are better than every one else. thats what the OP is trying to do. show that we are mature and ***ots like snoopfrogg are umm ***ots :laugh:
The irony is overwhelming.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
As much as I respect your attempt, this has been tried more times than I can count.

These never work. Sorry. V.V

-: Trey :-

Smash Apprentice
XD I like this post for its humor and information and whatnot, but pyrotek has a point. As good as this thread may be people will still act the way they are. Cocky peepz will always be cocky and nice peepz will always be nice. Good thread though bravo bravo

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
lmao, ShadowPink, whutever your name is.... When did I say I was better than him? I am a prick myself, I troll on trolls and flame the ***gots, why? Because they brought it on themselves. So are you a trolling a troller whos trolling a troller? Now thats sad.

Fact is, its pathetic to say this FORUM is for the more 'high class' Smashers, whut gives him the right to say that? Does he own the board? Is he the best Smasher in the world? Or is he just a ***got?

The latter most likely.

So, can we please not kill this thread and both STFU cuz I'm not arguing with you, why? Cuz you don't deserve my time. And the time I've wasted reading your crappy attempt to 'put me in my place' shud have told me not to reply becuz I would be wasting, MORE time.

Anyways, whatever mate, say what you want, I've got Brawl, I live in Europe - find me a lag free server and I'll shut you up :)

But to the point, Mr Lunar has come to this forum through the PrimaGuide, and what is he saying? He's saying I'm setting the right example, why am I setting the right example? Becuz I'm giving the respect he and every other newcomers deserves.

People that don't deserve it are the one who've got their copy of Brawl so far stuck up their back side they don't realise that they were once new guys too and think cuz they've played the game for longer, been on the FORUM for longer that they can do and say as they please.

So to end my post, TP is a ***got, I'm a prick and your a waste of everything.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
i bought a guide....where is smashboards mentioned?

and we should be used to new people coming in masses (first delay, second delay) both times a mass amople joined

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
flamebait
Ugh...too tired to break this apart. I'll just say that my elitism is imaginated and you're not being any more respectable than I am. Actually, I'm the prick and you're the rude *******.

About the "High class" thing, I don't have Brawl, I am in no way competitive, I don't have Brawl, I haven't played Melee in ages and I despise Z Cancelling in SSB64. How can I be a "High class smasher"? I dislike the stupid. So does Yuna. Is Yuna a ***got?

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
lolol, whutever mate. You dislike the stupid? The stupid are 12 year old kids who are just looking for people to talk to about their favourite game. Now thats hate man.

Flamebait? wtf?

So, you DON'T have brawl, you havn't played Melee in ages yet you think you've got more of a right to be on this forum than someone who does have the game? Sheer fact you're arguing that your NOT a high class member and want newcomers not to come here is even MORE pathetic. God, you know, I can't be bothered arguing, its pointless - if I see you flaming any newcomers then we'll have problems.

You seem like a smart person, so why hate the newcomers? Just let them do what they want and and mind your own business. My friend is a smash newcomer, he played Melee a few months before its American release date, asked me loads of questions, who's the best char, pikachu's weaknesses, worst stage for pikachu, whos a good marth killer and etc. Fact is, he's 22 years old, smart guy - and just wanted to know a few things about the game so he could get a head start on Brawl, so I taught him everything I knew. Now he's pretty **** good and can beat me on occasions.

Just let them do their thing friend, trust me - its best for all of us :)

Thanks for the rude ******* comment :).

Cheezball

Smash Ace
The stupid are 12 year old kids who are just looking for people to talk to about their favorite game.
Right here is where I just stopped reading. As a 12 year old myself, I find that offensive. I am on Thingy Person's side. Now, you see, this is going to make people leave, as they take in the insult.

It seems as if there is a fight in every, single, thread I view. There can't be a decent conversation without people coming in and starting a fight. In this one, it began with the very first reply. That is very disheartening.

Red Dragon

Smash Lord
You make a Thread in an attempt to implement respect in others TOWARD others.. And in that same positive Thread what you get is limited intelligence from most of the replies.

Lol.

ph15h

Smash Cadet
Wow, that Prima Guide Mentioned this forum? It's still in the plastic wrap :grin: I didn't even open it yet, but I got it when I bought Smash Bros because it was 50% off. And yeah, I conned the sales associate into letting me get Zack and Wiki a part of that 50% off too. (Compliment the associate's smile if she's a girl.)

=/ Shouldn't people always be nice on forums? I guess not. The internet has gotten out of hand and it is a little fun to poke at people, these outlines and guidelines were nice, though.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
You seem like a smart person, so why hate the newcomers? Just let them do what they want and and mind your own business. My friend is a smash newcomer, he played Melee a few months before its American release date, asked me loads of questions, who's the best char, pikachu's weaknesses, worst stage for pikachu, whos a good marth killer and etc. Fact is, he's 22 years old, smart guy - and just wanted to know a few things about the game so he could get a head start on Brawl, so I taught him everything I knew. Now he's pretty **** good and can beat me on occasions.
Yes. That's exactly the newcomers I don't hate. What are you getting at?
Also, spewing around the word "***got" and making remarks about 12 year olds is going to upset people. Hence, flamebait.

...we should stop. [/OBVIOUS]

Val

Smash Rookie
Hm, being a newly registered user (I haven't read the Prima Guide however) but long-term open forum user I'd like to point out that I'm not easily intimidated by rude behavior. However, I do remember that I was when I joined my first forum and that any people who are not only smashboard nubs but general forum nubs probably will be scared away, and it might be prudent to not scare away what could be in the future major posters and driving forces in your community.

It's also good to remember, that if you're rude or just actually stupid your registration date doesn't affect that in the least.

Top Bottom