• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Good Secondary for a Marth Player

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I've been playing Marth for a while now but I'm still not sure if all of his MUs are good. I have a tournament coming soon and I want to know what some possible good secondaries for Marth would be which could help with some of his weaknesses. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Fox is a given, but I believe Falco or Sheik cover bad Marth MUs reasonably well.

Prime examples would be PPMD (Marth and Falco) or M2K (Marth, Sheik, and some Fox).

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
Fox is a given, but I believe Falco or Sheik cover bad Marth MUs reasonably well.

Prime examples would be PPMD (Marth and Falco) or M2K (Marth, Sheik, and some Fox).
Alright, thanks for some of the suggestions. I'll probably end up picking up Falco or Shiek then.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Alright, thanks for some of the suggestions. I'll probably end up picking up Falco or Shiek then.
No problem dude. May I suggest watching some top level PP or M2K matches and studying how and when they switch characters to cover matchups?

Binx

Smash Master
Fox is strong on Marth's worst maps and Fox absolutely dominates some of Marths harder match ups like puff.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Fox is strong on Marth's worst maps and Fox absolutely dominates some of Marths harder match ups like puff.
While this is true, Fox takes considerably more time to learn and master than say, Sheik. In the long term, Fox is arguably better (objectively, Fox has no bad MUs), but he takes longer to incorporate; OP has a tournament coming up soon.

AirFair

Marth tho
Fox is the best one. Not everyone enjoys him tho. I'm trying it out, but I think I might actually go back to Falco. It depends.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
Marth doesn't have a "bad" matchup. I personally see no reason to find a secondary for him.
The worst is marth vs sheik which becomes 50/50 the higher level it gets.
marth vs puff is marth favored given you play it right
marth vs spacies is pretty even
I say stick with marth and master all areas of his game instead of switching just for certain matchups.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Falco, like PPMD, I used to be a Marth/Falco main, but now I'm double spacie, and I gotta say, Marth/Falco covers all your options.

djmath

Smash Apprentice
in which cases would you use falco instead of marth? both characters have a hard time against floaties

Sleepy Driz

Smash Cadet
If you have a tournament coming up I'd recommend just sticking to Marth until then. If you were going to pick any character to cover his weaknesses (like Sheik), I'd go with Fox. For what it's worth, PPMD thinks Fox/Marth is the best pair.

Steelo Rivers

Smash Cadet
in which cases would you use falco instead of marth? both characters have a hard time against floaties
I dual main myself.

Marth vs Floaties, ICs, and Shiek

Falco vs anyone else.

Anyone that doesn't have a projectile (and isn't floaty) has a hard time vs a well trained Falco. Anyone that has to be in your face 24/7 has an extremely tough time vs Marth (Falcon, ICs, Peach

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
You're better off learning the matchups as Marth as opposed to picking up a different character, especially in a short time span.

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys feel about Puff as a Marth secondary? Puff supposedly has an easier time vs Sheik and Falcon, you can avoid Marth dittos if you don't like them, and if you don't like the Puff matchup you can puff ditto.

Top Bottom