• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide on Range, Disjointed Hitboxes and Priority (Work in Progress)

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I was cool with everything else you said (Agreed plus was aware of those other definitions etc. is what I mean.) and yes, I agree with the fact that the guide needs tidying up and that I need to elaborate on certain sections better because I think I got a little bit lazy explaining everything. I don't think I'll be able to do so until the weekend though cause I've got school. I'm still getting some images for this guide too BTW.

Although, I think these are the 2 sections I REALLY want to talk about: Priority and transcended priority because TBH, I'm still slightly confused about how these work because I couldn't answer all the questions I had for this section originally just by searching the net and this site.

Okay first some questions on priority. Do you know what exactly gives a move either high or low priority? The only reason I can think of for this is the amount of damage a certain attack does. Also, does charging a move increase priority? (I assume that it would.) Also, do attacks that have a hitbox out for an extended period of time, (Lucario's Nair for example. I think these kinds of attacks are called a sex kick.) do they lose priority due to the attack dealing a lower amount of damage near the end of the attack animation? Lastly, do special attacks have a set amount of priority to them too and is priority neglected when both opponents are in the air attacking each other with special attacks? (I assume this last bit should be true as well.)

Transcended Priority -Attacks with transcended priority do not interact with other hitboxes. Attacks with transcended priority will always either trade with the opponent, miss completely, or beat out the opponent due to speed. It will never clash with another attack (which reminds me, I could've sworn I saw my DB3 clash with an attack the other day, gotta talk to Marth's about it). Some examples of attacks with transcended priority include Marth's Dancing Blade and ShieldBreaker, I THINK most Zairs, Dedede's mecha-hammer, Lucas' DownB (I think), and Mario's Cape (Once again, I think) all have transcended priority. It's important to note that most of MK's attacks are transcended. The exceptions are his Glide attack, dash attack, and Tornado (which really just has unnecessarily high priority). I'm not entirely sure of downB. This is important to remember because it means MK will not clash with you most of the time, and his moves are very fast, so you need to figure out a different way of dealing with him. Keep in mind that moves with transcended priority cannot fan projectiles, since the hitboxes will not interact.
Err...TBH, this is the first time I've EVER heard of the term "transcended priority". What exactly gives a move transcended priority anyway? Do only quick moves have these or not? (I doubt it. You mentioned that Marth's Shield breaker was one and it's not a quick move at all. Plus it can be charged.) Actually...I didn't know that about MK at all...I thought he was just too quick for everyone! :laugh:

Also, off topic question: Is there such thing as a debug mode for Brawl like there was one for melee? If there is, do you mind telling me how to access this mode? Recently, I've become quite interested in exploring some of the physics involved with this game and I personally want to take a closer look at some hitboxes associated with some character's attacks. Also, I'm curious, how do people get frame data for each character?

Cratze.

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf seems a little low, I expect he would be above Luigi at least...

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
To find the frames, I'm pretty sure that they use some hack that makes Brawl go so slow that you can count the frames.

Top Bottom