• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to Choosing your Main!

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Notes: Not every character has "high" combo potential. Samus certainly doesn't deserve to be on the same combo level as fox when she doesn't have a single chain of combos, and jigglypuff doesnt deserve to be the same level as falco when all she has are limited combos on space animals, and edgeguarding combos.

Also, Mario's best moves include his dair and jab, and not his cape. Capes garbs.

Meteor attacks do not = spikes
Mario combos better than Doc.
Mario's fair is not crappy, its very good.
Brown Mario has quit
Green Mario and I are the only currently active well known pro Marios

I dont know why Captain Jack is listed for Falcon but not Shiek

I really have no idea at all why Ka Master is listed for Marth. Like seriously. I rofl'd irl when I saw that. He plays Luigi and secondarys every character in the game. XD

I have more to complain about, but it doesnt matter.
Ya i was curious about the ka Master thing myself, wtf? put me in there and i wouldnt say mario combo's better than doc, at all and plus doc gets added nastiness when playing teh spacies

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
I just read this.
falco is in the low tier for recovery,but i seam to get to at least 150 to 200% damege before i die.You need a weght class and a jump hieght class to make the list better.
You might survive often to high percents with falco when you play, but if you get knocked off the edge, you'll have a much easier time recovering with Jiggs or Samus. Falco is very easy to predict, falls quickly,and is relatively easy to counter when he's recovering, making him one of the worst recoverers.

Notes: Not every character has "high" combo potential. Samus certainly doesn't deserve to be on the same combo level as fox when she doesn't have a single chain of combos, and jigglypuff doesnt deserve to be the same level as falco when all she has are limited combos on space animals, and edgeguarding combos.

Also, Mario's best moves include his dair and jab, and not his cape. Capes garbs.

Meteor attacks do not = spikes
Mario combos better than Doc.
Mario's fair is not crappy, its very good.
Brown Mario has quit
Green Mario and I are the only currently active well known pro Marios

I dont know why Captain Jack is listed for Falcon but not Shiek

I really have no idea at all why Ka Master is listed for Marth. Like seriously. I rofl'd irl when I saw that. He plays Luigi and secondarys every character in the game. XD

I have more to complain about, but it doesnt matter.
Pretty good post, but the first paragraph bugged me. First, Samus does have combo potential. As mentioned in Aftermath's tutorial vid, most of Samus' aerials chain easily into each other, and she has the awesome WINDMILL OF FURY!(/sarcasm)
Not to mention Jigg's Wall of Pain and rest combos, which make up the majority of her gameplay.

marthsword

Smash Ace
This was fairly nice, but the running speeds were really messed up. Mewtwo is slow but jiggs is average? Other way around. And the pro players kinda made me laugh. And a spike is not a meteor.

Ill gladly make one for Pichu if that is OK.

Razed

Smash Ace
This was fairly nice, but the running speeds were really messed up. Mewtwo is slow but jiggs is average? Other way around. And the pro players kinda made me laugh. And a spike is not a meteor.

Ill gladly make one for Pichu if that is OK.
That'd be great, thanks.

I shall edit!

marthsword

Smash Ace
That'd be great, thanks.

I shall edit!
Alright will do that.

Here it is! Hope you like it, sorry if I added too much. If you like this I can do a few other characters.

EDIT: The characters I can do: G&W, Young Link, DK, would have done M2

Pichu --- By: Marthsword

Run speed: Very fast
Wavedash: 6th worst
General Attack Speed: Fast – Very fast
Combo Potential: Pretty good especially against fast fallers
Best Moves: Thunderjolt, Nair, Bair, Up B, Up smash, F smash
Killing Moves: (in descending order) U smash, F smash, Nair, Bair, Dair, B throw, D smash
Jumping: Above average
Tier: Bottom tier
Recovery: high tier; better than Pikachu’s
Range: Awful
Grabgame: Pretty good
Chainthrow: U throw fast fallers, D throw floaties
Pro Players: T0mmy, Chu Dat
Comments: People are turned off because he hurts himself, however, most his best moves don’t. Pichu has especially good combos on fast fallers (uair) and good edgeguarding (TJ, f tilt, f smash.) Many people aren’t used to fighting a good pichu, so won’t know what to do, or how to DI your attacks like F smash. Also, Don’t forget to taunt@ Pichu can taunt cancel by holding shield during the taunt animation. This allows you to SHFFL, WD etc, out of a taunt.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Why don't you have PC Chris and KDJ listed in pro fox players? they are much better fox players than the ones listed. Also...Mofo doesn't play seriously and his falco is so sadly rusty.

marthsword

Smash Ace
There are some other pro character players that are listed wrongly. In the meantime I am creating a list for some more bottom and low tiers.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
here's an updated recovery tier list (yes it's by me but it's off of b-will's list, i continued it) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=94647

and also, every character has a meteor except doc, bowser, pichu, pika, and sheik

fox's dthrow is a meteor
link's dtilt is a meteor
peach's dtilt is a meteor
jiggs dair is a meteor (i've seen it been meteor cancelled before...stupid computers)

fox's nair is his second best move, followed by his dair, his uair would be nothing without an amazing uthrow

marth's utilt is way better than his dair

you didn't list falcon's nair as his best move...

all dash attacks (but peach's and zelda's) pretty much suck, replace samus' dash attack with dtilt, and add bombs

replace doc's cape with pills, and add dsmash

jiggs nair is better than her uair

mario's dair is no where near his best move

remove ganon's nair, it sucks, replace that with dthrow

fair, uair, and bair are his best moves by far..nothing else compares

mewtwo's best moves are his dthrow, uthrow, bair, nair, dtilt, and utilt

you don't got every character up there yet, add them

i'm not criticizing you, just giving your more accurate info

all spikes are meteors, not all meteors are spikes

marth has a meteor, 3rd hit down b on his DED
falco has 2 meteors that aren't spikes, forward b and dthrow

Razed

Smash Ace
Alright will do that.

Here it is! Hope you like it, sorry if I added too much. If you like this I can do a few other characters.

EDIT: The characters I can do: G&W, Young Link, DK, would have done M2

Killing Moves: (in descending order) U smash, F smash, Nair, Bair, Dair, B throw, D smash
Comments: People are turned off because he hurts himself, however, most his best moves don’t. Pichu has especially good combos on fast fallers (uair) and good edgeguarding (TJ, f tilt, f smash.) Many people aren’t used to fighting a good pichu, so won’t know what to do, or how to DI your attacks like F smash. Also, Don’t forget to taunt@ Pichu can taunt cancel by holding shield during the taunt animation. This allows you to SHFFL, WD etc, out of a taunt.
Awesome, thanks man! Dk and G&W would be great too =). When I don't have homework, I'll add in all the things you put there to the other characters. Thanks alot!

Could you maybe edit the other two into that post? then I can add them all at once. Thanks man!

Eaode

Smash Champion
here's an updated recovery tier list (yes it's by me but it's off of b-will's list, i continued it) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=94647

and also, every character has a meteor except doc, bowser, pichu, pika, and sheik

fox's dthrow is a meteor
link's dtilt is a meteor
jiggs dair is a meteor (i've seen it been meteor cancelled before...stupid computers)

fox's nair is his second best move, followed by his dair, his uair would be nothing without an amazing uthrow

all dash attacks (but peach's and zelda's) pretty much suck, replace samus' dash attack with dtilt, and add bombs

Sheik's dash attack is pretty good, no?

All meteors are spikes, not all spikes are meteors. A spike is a moves that sends opponents downward, meteors are attacks with downward knockback that can be cancelled.

Oh, and Razed. How is Link's Dtilt one of his best moves? they should be bombs, boomerang, spin attack, Dair, Nair.

marthsword

Smash Ace
DK is done now. I will edit this post instead, since it is easier to find.

DK--- By: Marthsword
Run Speed: Average – Slow
Wavedash:approximately 6th worst
General Attack Speed: Average – Slow
Combo Potential: Amazing but repetitive
Meteor Smash: Dair, Side B
Spike: Dair (upper body,) Fair
Best Moves[:/B] {descending order) Uair, Neutral B, Cargo Throw, Bair
Killing Moves: (descending order) Neutral B, B throw, Uair
Tier: Middle of bottom tier
Recovery: Average
Range: Incredible
Grabgame: Amazing
Chainthrow: U throw on fastfallers, Cargo throw occasionally
Pro Players: Captain Jack, Canada Mike, Bum, AOB
Comments: DK relies heavily on the same combos and moves. His grabgame and Cargo > Uair game are huge. He combos fast fallers incredibly well, especially Fox. Whenever you have a chance, charge his neutral B.

More to come, got homework right now.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
no, a meteor is a move that sends the opponent down (with 2 exceptions, doc's fair and samus' utilt, you still get teh award for killing the opponent with those moves)

we use spike cause it sounds cooler and it's easier to say, we've determined this already, all spikes are meteors while not all meteors are spikes

there are only 4 known spikes in the game, marth's dair, falco's dair, falcon's dair (when hit at the nipples) and ganon's down b, every other meteor is able to be cancelled

sheik's dash attack would be good, if she was able to juggle out of it, other than that, it's not so good, why most sheik users replace her dash attack with her dsmash

Razed

Smash Ace

fox's dthrow is a meteor
link's dtilt is a meteor

Thanks a ton dude! Editing it as i eat supper =). I love all your posts =)

I'm working on some as are other people, I plan to have maybe 3 more done tonight besides Pichu, which is already done.
Yeah and thanks a ton for that man!

EDIT @ Eaode: If you're a tank link, Dtilt is great for comboing

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Peach and Ganon have chaingrabs I use them fairly often as for details on Mario's chain it usally is up on heavier characters down on medium weight characters. Characters that can probably escape his chain throws are Peach, Samus, Jiggly, and Kirby and while we are talking about Mario how is his cape not one of his best moves I know it does less damage and has less range then the Doc's but still it friken turns people and attacks around

Eaode

Smash Champion
Marth's Dair is cancellable.

But i thought Meteor smash only applied to the ones that were cancellable. They're still spikes, but they are the only ones able to be cancelled, hence the name "meteor cancel"

:dizzy:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it's a common misconception

when you kill with a spike, you get teh meteor ko award, so therefore a spike is a meteor

do you have PAL, if so then yes, if you have NTSC then it cannot be meteor cancelled, you have to wait over a second to recover from a spike while from a meteor, it's like 14 frames or something

marthsword

Smash Ace
Everything I have made so far. *Updated*

PICHU

Comments: People are turned off because he hurts himself, however, most his best moves don’t. Pichu has especially good combos on fast fallers (uair) and good edgeguarding (TJ, f tilt, f smash.) Many people aren’t used to fighting a good pichu, so won’t know what to do, or how to DI your attacks like F smash. Also, Don’t forget to taunt@ Pichu can taunt cancel by holding shield during the taunt animation. This allows you to SHFFL, WD etc, out of a taunt.Yoshi is done.

DONKEY KONG

DK--- By: Marthsword
Run Speed: Average – Slow
Wavedash:approximately 6th worst
General Attack Speed: Average – Slow
Combo Potential: Amazing but repetitive
Meteor Smash: Dair, Side B
Spike: Dair (upper body,) Fair
Best Moves[:/B] {descending order) Uair, Neutral B, Cargo Throw, Bair
Killing Moves: (descending order) Neutral B, B throw, Uair
Tier: Middle of bottom tier
Recovery: Average
Range: Incredible
Grabgame: Amazing
Chainthrow: U throw on fastfallers, Cargo throw occasionally
Pro Players: Captain Jack, Canada Mike, Bum, AOB
Comments: DK relies heavily on the same combos and moves. His grabgame and Cargo > Uair game are huge. He combos fast fallers incredibly well, especially Fox. Whenever you have a chance, charge his neutral B.

Yoshi--- By: Marthsword
Run speed: Surprisingly Fast
Wavedash: 5th Best
General Attack Speed: Pretty Fast
Combo potential: Very good
Attack range: A little above average
Meteor Smash: dair
Spike: Fair, Dair
Best moves: uair, eggs, bair, d tilt, d smash
Killing Moves: D smash, uair, f smash, nair, Down B
Jumping: Insanely good
Tier: Top of the bottom tier (should be higher)
Recovery: Middle
Range: Good
Grabgame: Not good
Chainthrow: Very hard to pull off, don’t recommend using it
Pro player: Gabe, Svampven, Bringer of Death
Comments: Yoshi has great combos with his egg > uair game. He doubles in weight during his double jump, and his double jump is the fastest ledgegrab in the game, because he goes down before up. He has a disadvantage that his shield cannot be JC’ led. He has an amazing CC game.
-------------

Zelda--- By: Marthsword
Run speed: VERY slow
Wavedash: Tied with Peach for worst
General Attack Speed: Pretty slow
Combo potential: Not very much
Attack range: Above average
Meteor Smash: Dair
Spike: None
Best moves: Bair, Fair, D smash, f tilt, Dash Attack, Neutral B, jab
Killing Moves: Fair, Bair, F smash
Jumping: Worst
Tier: Top of the bottom tier
Recovery: Very good by laggy
Range: Pretty good
Grabgame: Average
Chainthrow: D throw against normal falling speed characters
Pro player: MOW, Azen
Comments: Zelda doesn’t have very good combos, but has a lot of powerful attacks. Her fair and bair are godly. Bair comes out 4 frames faster. She also had the fastest smash in the game, her D smash. Comes out in 4 frames. She has a pseudo-spike if you attempt to shine spike with her neutral B.

I know the pro players aren't very well thought out. I don't know anything about Zelda.

YOUNG LINK

Young Link--- By: Marthsword
Run speed: Surprisingly Fast
Wavedash: Below Average
General Attack Speed: Pretty Fast
Combo potential: Good
Attack range: About average
Meteor Smash: d tilt
Spike: Dair
Best moves: Bombs, boomerang, nair, d throw, arrows
Killing Moves: D smash, F smash, Dair, Uair
Jumping: Average
Tier: Bottom of the low tier
Recovery: Almost high tier
Grabgame: Comboes well out of it
Chainthrow: Very hard to pull off, don’t recommend using it
Pro player: Caveman, Chu Dat
Comments: Young Link is faster than his clone in every way. He is a better spammer as well. He can combo out of and into grabs almost as well as Link. Always having a bomb with you is a good idea.

Bowser--- By: Marthsword
Run speed: Exremely Slow
Wavedash: Average, but takes 9 frames till you can airdoge, (that’s a lot)
General Attack Speed: Slow
Combo potential: Not too bad
Attack range: Amazing
Meteor Smash: None
Spike: None
Best moves: Up B, Fair, Forward B, Nair, F tilt, Ledge Attack <100
Killing Moves: Everything!
Jumping: Below Average
Tier: Bottom
Recovery: Middle
Grabgame: Not very good
Chainthrow: U throw on Fox, Koopa Claw forward on FF’s
Pro player: Gimpyfish62, Arash, Captain Jack, Magnum
Comments: A Bowser mistake is to play him defensively. You can kill them in one good combo. Play offensively. Bowser has an AMAZING Up B. It has invincibility frames, can be substituted for his dodge, comes out in 3 frames, high priority, and high damage, and a ledgegrab.

I know it seems weird to include his ledge attack, but it has an amazing hitbox, and can be used for edeguarding!

Luigi

Luigi--- By: Marthsword
Run speed: Slow, but doesn’t matter
Wavedash: 1st. Luigi doesn’t need to run. With WDing he is the fastest in the game
General Attack Speed: Average
Attack range: A little above average
Meteor Smash: dair, d tilt
Best moves: Fair, Nair, Dair, D smash, U tilt
Killing Moves: Dair, Fair, Nair
Jumping: Very good
Tier: Bottom of the Low tier
Recovery: Bottom of the Low tier
Chainthrow: U throw fastfallers, D throw semi-floaties
Pro player: Ka-Master, Azen, Thunders, Drephen
Comments: It can be hard to get used to Luigi because of his floatiness. Luigi has great tech chasing and speed with his Wavedash. He can run circles around opponents. What makes him in his tier position is his poor matchups with high tier characters. He would have a good recovery, but his up B sweetspot ruins it, the foe can edgehog.

KIRBY

Kirby--- By: Marthsword
Run speed: Below Average
Wavedash: Around 6th worst
General Attack Speed: Average – Below average
Combo potential: Average – below average
Attack range: Below average
Meteor Smash: dair, up B
Best moves: Bair, Uair, Fair, Dair
Killing Moves: Uair, F smash, Bair
Jumping: Best
Tier: Bottom Tier
Recovery: Great, but too predictable
Grabgame: Below average, but kirbycides bring it up
Chainthrow: None unless you have your foe at ridiculously high %s.
Pro player: Omnigamer, T!mmy, Kirbstir
Comments: Kirby focuses around his aerial games a lot, that is where most of his combos come from. He has a ton of jumps, giving him good aerial maneuverability. He can suicide with swallow, b throw, or f throw, this is called ‘kirbycide.’ Kirby has a strat called “Fence of Pain” with his bair.

ROY

Roy/B]--- By: Marthsword
Run speed: Average
Wavedash: 6th Best
General Attack Speed: At or below average
Combo potential: Below average
Attack range: Amazing
Meteor Smash: Third hit of over B aimed upward, Dair, U smash
Best moves: Fair, U tilt, Uair, F smash, Nair
Killing Moves: F smash
Jumping: Very bad
Tier: Middle of low tier
Recovery: Bottom Tier
Chainthrow: None
Pro player: NEO, Masashi
Comments: Roy focuses on his ground game wheras marth focuses on his aerial game. Newbies tend to pick Roy because he has fire. Try them both and see who you are most comfortable with.

Pikachu

Pikachu/B]--- By: Marthsword
Run speed: Very Fast
Wavedash: Below Average
General Attack Speed: Fast
Meteor Smash: None
Best moves: Nair, Uair, Bair, Thunderjolt, D smash, U smash
Killing Moves: U smash, F smash, Nair, Biar
Jumping: Average
Tier: Middle of low tier
Recovery: High Tier
Chainthrow: U throw on FF’s
Pro player: AK, Azen
Comments: Pikachu has incredible smashes. Pikachu has great recovery as well, though not as good as Pichu’s. It almost makes up for his light weight. Pikachu’s Uair is a semi spike, and can spike an opponent off the edge by sending them behind. If you time if right, you can send them up, send them behind you, or send them in front of you.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
yoshi has no spikes, he has meteors (fair and bair)

i'll do...g&w

g&w:
run speed-below average
wavedash-8th longest (tied with marios)
general attack speed-fast (but has a lot of lag)
combo potential-average
attack range-below average
meteors-dair
best moves-nair, fair, dtilt, uthrow, dthrow, dair
killing moves-nair, fair, dtilt, forward b, dair, fsmash
jumping-bad
recovery-high
grab game-very good
Chain throw-the same as sheik minus g&w and add fast fallers
pro players-dire
comments- g&w is quite fun to use, his wavedash can help him with his lack of run speed, but beware when using him, his sheild is horrible

computers are gay, they can cancel spikes...for whatever reason

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
lol when i first saw the title i was like 'this cant be serious'...
it can actually make a good joke:
guide to choosing your main
toss a dice, then act accordingly:
1. you main fox
2. you main falco
3. you main sheik
4. you main marth
5 or 6. toss again
:chuckle: This made me laugh out loud.

Anyway on topic i think that it was really well done but you should probably add difficulty of usage for each character.. because Fox sounds completely rad but you have to mention the fact that if your slower or can't shuffle combo you can't use him, just a suggestion

marthsword

Smash Ace
Razed: you should add falling speed and usage. Examples:

Pichu
falling speed: medium
usage: medium

Fox
falling speed: Very fast (third)
usage: hardest

Razed

Smash Ace
Well Im working on it. I got 4 done so far. Just did Zelda.

EDIT: ITS DONE!

OMG! I feel so special. And Razed and I have the same avatar.
I know ;). We're so special =O!

:

Anyway on topic i think that it was really well done but you should probably add difficulty of usage for each character.. because Fox sounds completely rad but you have to mention the fact that if your slower or can't shuffle combo you can't use him, just a suggestion
Great idea. That'll come once I'm done my english speech ='(

falco DOES have a chainthrow - its the backthrow
Uh... no?

Razed: you should add falling speed and usage. Examples:

Pichu
falling speed: medium
usage: medium

Fox
falling speed: Very fast (third)
usage: hardest
That'd be great, I could do usage, but I'm not too up-to-date on all the falling speeds =S For me it's either; Fast, Norm, or floaty. >.>.

How about the up throw on ff's for zelda??
I'll edit that in, thanks

marthsword

Smash Ace
If your willing to do falling speeds...

FALLING SPEEDS

Key: Fast, Normal, Floaty

If a character has a '/' connected with another character it means that they have the same falling speeds.

NOTE: Weight is not a factor, in floatiness (vertical knockback resistance) it is. For instance, captain falcon is #1 for most aerial resistance because he is heavy. However, he falls the second fastest, not the first. I might choose to include floatiness.

Fast: (descending order) Falco Falcon Fox Roy/DK

Normal: Sheik

Semi-Floaty: (just including a few) Ganondorf, Kirby, Doc, Mario, Marth, Bowser

Floaty: (in no order) Zelda, Peach, Samus, jigglypuff, Luigi, M2

I dont know too much about falling speed, everyone not mentioned goes into floaty or semi-floaty so you can guess.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Nice progress
BTW, for Ness, he has a few chainthrows. Really wierd ones though. So yes there.
Also, on his killing moves, remove YYG. Out in bthrow PKT2 and PK Flash (yes, you can hit with those). YYG is really consisting of powerful to finish.

Cohensorrows

Smash Rookie
'Nother One of Mewtwo's best moves:
Fair.
And bair is eh only good for edgeguard...probably take it outa best moves

Top Bottom