• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to DI, Smash DI, C-stick DI, Teching and Crouch Cancelling --- Updated

pelotaz0

Smash Cadet
This might be a noob question and I think I know the answer but, when it says:
In order to tech, you have to get a precise timing and not resort to button mashing.
Whenever you press L, it enables you to tech in the 20 following frames, but it also prevents you completely from using L to tech again in the following 40 frames.
In that case, could you use R after you miss the first try to tech with L?

SophyBer

Smash Apprentice
Ask Isai how long we've known about Smash DI in ssb64. ;)

Just playin. I didn't know 64-style DI (aka Smash DI) existed in ssbm until reading this thread. But I don't claim to be too knowledgeable about ssbm.

Most people think there's no DI in ssb64. It's true that there's no way to influence your trajectory when you're hit (unless you fly into a wall or something), but there is Smash DI in ssb64, which definitely has its uses in breaking combos. I'm pretty sure there's no Automatic Smash DI (ASDI) in ssb64, but you can do Multiple Smash DI's on a single hit.

There was a recent discovery in ssb64 (quite rare these days), of something effectively similar to edge teching in ssb64, and it involved Smash DI. I don't know if it will be useful to ssbm players, but I figure it's worth a shot. If you're interested, read this post and all the ones after: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1530054#post1530054

You can probably guess I'm mostly an ssb64 player, but I do some ssbm too. I must say, though, this is one of the best posts I've seen on smashboards. Excellent info, Doraki. :)
Only recently reading this post and I've just read this, it raises a question.
Just what is that information help in that link, we're going to need that essential clue to figure out this crime; who was post.

[TRANSLATION]
I don't have time to read this post further given **** reading and ADD. I'd like to figure out if anyone can link me up to whatever information might have been held in this tech for ssb64. Please help.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Hello ! Thank you for this great guide!
I have 2 questions and a proposition. Questions:
1-Is all this works just like you explain in pm3.5
2-to perform DI (regular, after been sent flying, if i get it well) , should we perpendiculary smash the directional-stick (one time or repeadly?) or can we just keep the D-stick in a perpendicular direction to the flying one.
My proposition is :
why not talking to the projectMteam so that they include a slight colored flashing light when each of the DI variant is succefuly performed(a different color for each one) just like they did with the LandCancel.
i think this could be really great!
Thank you ;)

Last edited:

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
I advise trying to watch it frame by frame.
When the fox takes the up smash, he Smash DIs up, which makes him move around the level of the other fox's head. After the hitlag, which is the same for both foxes, you can see him going slightly down because I was holding the C-stick down, thus doing an ASDI down instead of up. Since he was at 0%, the upwards speed of the upsmash was less than the ASDI down, that's why when you add it up,Fox goes down on that frame. But on the other frames, he goes up like normal when you take an upsmash at 0%.

I've drawn this to explain better :

Buddha, the "thump" noise you're hearing is just the fox landing.

If the framerate was higher than 60 hz, you would be able to ground tech more moves ! =o
What's the point of SDI up and then ASDI'ing down, when the normal trajectory is better than the modified trajectory? In the picture, the result of SDI up+ASDI down is higher and therefore worse than the normal trajectory

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Something you have to know about good DI: You put yourself where you want to be.

Prevent combos (just barely) without giving them easy edgeguards.

Survival DI is seldom the answer. If you are killed off the top with a move that has typical kb trajectory (out and slightly up) when using survival DI, you could have lived with straight up DI or up and slightly away (these DI's have less effect on trajectory but increase your chances of survival unless you are also close to the blast zone).

Often times down and away is best do you can tech earlier, fall to ledge, or dj sweetspot ledge. It's good to know what does what.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
I read this whole thing thinking it was for Sm4sh
:D Dude you killed me!!! it's all about the melee engine so it should work for PM. I don't know much about Smash4 DI but i heard it is about vectoring and in practice it is very close to formers DI input...

What's the point of SDI up and then ASDI'ing down, when the normal trajectory is better than the modified trajectory? In the picture, the result of SDI up+ASDI down is higher and therefore worse than the normal trajectory
ASDI is by definition not manual so i don't get you. If i understant well the game just read the last position of the stick at a certain frame. To me it is never on purpose and everythig goes so fast that all is just a consequence of SDI...

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
(However I've seen CPUs breaking that rule in Adventure mode )
might be due to CPUs in adventure mode being particularly light or something alone those lines. Fox d-air and shine have fixed knockback, but afaik pretty much all characters in adventure mode have lighter weights, especially when facing team kirby etc, you may see them dying at 0 from falco shines for instance. i wouldn't be surprised if fox's dair causes them to rebound off of the ground like you would see with falco or falcon's d-air

exDarkFlow

Smash Rookie
so SDI can be input on every frame of hitlag except for the last, and DI/ASDI are read on the last frame of hitlag?

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
so SDI can be input on every frame of hitlag except for the last, and DI/ASDI are read on the last frame of hitlag?
SDI is read BEFORE the last frame of hitlag
ASDI is read ON the last frame of hitlag
DI is read AFTER the last frame of hitlag

...if i am not mistaking anything

Top Bottom