• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS *A Guide to Unlocking Custom Moves Quickly*

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I will 100% this game... No matter how hard and boring it is, I will do it!... Just maybe after I rest a day. Seriously, I've been playing about 5+ hours a day every day since the game came out... and I'm still really far away.
I want to 100% it on the wii u instead, but I'm right there with you. I just don't want to stale the single player before it's on the console I want D:

but as far as customs go, I think the home menu is a sure fire bet on the 3ds, we have yet to see if it'll work for the wii u. And since you can xfer, I'm prob going to focus that on the 3ds for now. just not the challenges. When I play, I like to improve my techs and MU awareness, but if customs are staying legal (crossing fingers) I better get cracking.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I will 100% this game... No matter how hard and boring it is, I will do it!... Just maybe after I rest a day. Seriously, I've been playing about 5+ hours a day every day since the game came out... and I'm still really far away.
I'm almost fully done with the challenges. The only one left that I need to do is that 50 collective hours in Smash challenge, which can be accomplished in a few days if you play up to 4 hours per day.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
My question is: how the heck do you beat classic on 9.0? How is it humanly possible?
Up smash is your friend vs Master hand and company. It makes the last battle harder but you can also just use equipment to steamroll through as well. Just use max attack and nothing else. but note that the shadow version of yourself will be brutal strong, so you can't really take a hit there or it's gg and start over. As for characters... Lil Mac is easier than most.

master hand / crazy hand. just stand under master and up smash and dodge.
master giant, same
master beast, forward smashes might be safer, or ftilts if it's risky timing.
master blades? just go towards the right side of the screen and up smash (as lil mac, other people can include aerials)
shadow form, well you gotta just be aware of how cpu work here and play smart and safe.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
The new Master and Crazy order mode in the WiiU version seems to actually be focused on custom farming so that's something.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The new Master and Crazy order mode in the WiiU version seems to actually be focused on custom farming so that's something.
If I were to guess, the more matches you win, the more rewards you'll receive upon defeating Master Hand. Crazy Orders seems to operate in a similar manner, though it might offer stronger equipment more frequently.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
On the other hand the Home button trick doesn't work on the Wii U version. When you pause/unpause the roulette will keep spinning a bit.

Sakurai just loves to watch us suffer huh

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
On the other hand the Home button trick doesn't work on the Wii U version. When you pause/unpause the roulette will keep spinning a bit.

Sakurai just loves to watch us suffer huh
Even Smash 3DS has that lag moment sometimes. You know what's coming up next, but input lag causes you to miss, and as a result, you get nothing, or a non-custom reward.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Not really, if you hold A instead of mashing it you will always get what's on the screen unless you're too late (being exactly on what you want counts as too late)

Rew

Smash Journeyman
I'm now down to 10 trophies (7 non-challenge related), 11 Mii hats, and 114 custom moves to go. (As I haven't touched Smash Run since yesterday, I'm still in need of 28 powers.) It's coming along now I suppose, and I'm gradually increasing the difficulty of Classic as I practice for 9.0--I'll probably attempt that for real later in the week. I'm aiming the roulette to land exclusively on red wrenches (or gold if there are no wrenches available)--trophies will do me no good as I'm certain to get duplicates at this point! I've also been playing a lot of Target Blast with Villager. It's amazing how much equipment and duplicate customs those green wrenches will give you. >_>

Rew

Smash Journeyman
So I just finished a run on Classic 6.0, landing only on wrenches during the roulette. I got 12 customs. Here's the breakdown:
- 7 pieces of equipment
- 4 duplicate custom moves
- 1 duplicate Mii hat

Seriously, **** this game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So I just finished a run on Classic 6.0, landing only on wrenches during the roulette. I got 12 customs. Here's the breakdown:
- 7 pieces of equipment
- 4 duplicate custom moves
- 1 duplicate Mii hat

Seriously, **** this game.
If I knew I had to unlock everything on Smash U again, I wouldn't have done it on Smash 3DS. Still missing 12 hats but I don't give a ****.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If only the game stopped giving you duplicates once you've actually collected everything. I may have all the specials, hats, and suits, but the fact that I can still get duplicates makes it very hard for me to even increase my equipment supply.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
My question is: how the heck do you beat classic on 9.0? How is it humanly possible?
I've done it regularly with Mario. Honestly, it's a cakewalk if you use custom equipment to buff your stats as high as they can go (prioritize power). Master Hand/Crazy Hand drops like flies and Master Core isn't much trouble as long as you know it's pattern.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Metal blade is a multi-hitting move and since it has to pass through huge forms like Master Core and does about 5% per hit, done right you do about 30% .

Rew

Smash Journeyman
I've done it regularly with Mario. Honestly, it's a cakewalk if you use custom equipment to buff your stats as high as they can go (prioritize power). Master Hand/Crazy Hand drops like flies and Master Core isn't much trouble as long as you know it's pattern.
Not THAT easy. I did several 9.0 runs last night with a custom Bowser prioritizing attack. I can make it to Master Core okay, but his attacks come out too fast for me to dodge reliably. Even then I had three runs where I made it all the way to Master Shadow, but unfortunately that clone carries those same attack stats and makes short work of me (including a OHKO as he was dropping onto the stage after transforming during my first run!).

Metal blade is a multi-hitting move and since it has to pass through huge forms like Master Core and does about 5% per hit, done right you do about 30% .
I have little doubt that Mega Man could do we well against Master Core. My trouble would be getting through all those first 5 or so rounds beforehand with him! (Then again, for all my love of the MM series and years of longing to see him in Smash Bros., I suck with the Blue Bomber in this game.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem is more getting to Master Core with Mega Man, because he's very hard to use correctly for the first 5 stages. Of course, I'm quite lousy with Mega Man, so that can explain my concerns.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It really depends on how you play as him actually. A lot of people seem to get the wrong idea on how to move with him, and he benefits far more greatly as an aggressive character over being a camping/projectile based character.

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
I wonder if this will ever be fixed. The very horribly designed unlock system (for specials especially since it's IMO the coolest new game feature) and to a lesser extent not being able to use them while disabling equipment frustrated me to the point of moving onto other games. I love the new characters and mechanics of the game, though.

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
I might do this, but my game takes about three minutes (exaggerated a little) to get back to home menu every time I hit the button. Is this normal...? :p

Rew

Smash Journeyman
God, grinding in this game is so depressing!

I start out by checking the Trophy Shop. No new trophies. I then play a round of Trophy Rush, get 30-35 trophies, none new. I switch to Classic, play 7.0 or 7.5. Land on all customs. Get only equipment. Or dupes. Do Trophy Shop/Rush again, no new trophies. Switch gears to Smash Run. Collect 6 powers, place in 1st in subsequent battle. All powers and customs are dupes, except maybe one new power or custom move. Recheck Trophy Shop. Still no new trophies in stock!

Argh!!! Seriously, what am I doing wrong here? You can pour so much into this game and just get so little in return.

EDIT:
For the record, I need 3 non-challenge trophies, 7 non-challenge hats, 19 Smash Run powers, and 72 custom moves. (The only 2 challenges I have left are collect all powers/customs ones.)

Last edited:

The_Sir_Reginald

Smash Rookie
I'm so glad this guide exists, I am so frustrated with how lame the challenges are for the 3ds, but I have this stupid need to have to do them all.....

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
I'm in kinda the opposite boat. I have all but one challenge Power, and slowly working on custom specials.

Absolutely HATE the fact they made two of the challenges immune to hammers, requiring you to grind them out. It's NOT fun, and it's just fake longevity.

I'm pretty sure I have all the rest of the Mi hats and clothes (except the Multi-Man outfits, but those can't be unlocked, which is DUMB), so when I get all the specials and the challenge hat, once I hammer the last power square, it'll also give me the top-right on page 3.

Anyway, if you want Powers, do Smash Run, and prioritize the bags with the question marks on 'em. You'll get them in no time.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have all trophies, Smash Run Powers, customs, and Challenges done.

I guess it's just Mii attire and equipment that I have left, though I won't really focus on them per se. Just play Smash Run for fun on the bus and pick up only custom bags, that will lead me the way.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Question about Smash Run: Is it true that if you collect more than 10 items, older items begin to be replaced the higher over 10 you go? (It doesn't appear anymore on the bottom screen, but I don't know if that's just because the screen ran out of room or if the game actually removes those items.) I've heard different answers on this, so I'm hoping for something definitive.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Question about Smash Run: Is it true that if you collect more than 10 items, older items begin to be replaced the higher over 10 you go? (It doesn't appear anymore on the bottom screen, but I don't know if that's just because the screen ran out of room or if the game actually removes those items.) I've heard different answers on this, so I'm hoping for something definitive.
I thought it only counted the 10 items, but I have definitely obtained at least 14 items from a single Smash Run at points, going by what appears on the results screen.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Okay, good. I was worried that if I were, say, grinding for powers, but I obtained too many customs, coins, or trophies, they would "push" the powers out of my inventory.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can finish a Smash Run match with over 10 items, but you can only pick up a maximum of 6 custom parts and 6 Smash Run powers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Meaning that only a max of 6 each will be capable of spawning?
Pretty much. Once you've picked up your 6th custom, you won't see any more for the rest of your Smash Run session.

It's a shame that the custom specials, headgear, and suits didn't operate in the same manner as CDs; with the CDs, once you've collected them all, they would no longer appear.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord

I did the thing.
That's funny, I just got this achievement today and the message was different. Mine said "Collected every custom special move! Show me your moves!"

I'm very close to 100%-ing this game. I have all custom special moves, all smash run powers, 683 trophies, and all but one challenge (the "collect every piece of equipment, custom special move and clothing" one). I got there mainly by grinding in Trophy Rush (Fox's laser spam is OP - my high score is 684k) and Smash Run. I just need to grind for Mii headgear now, which is going to suck.

As for Classic on 9.0, I tried a bunch of the strats I saw online and nothing was working. Spamming up smash with Dorf, nothing. Trying to spam Greninja's down-air, nothing. I was getting destroyed every time b

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's funny, I just got this achievement today and the message was different. Mine said "Collected every custom special move! Show me your moves!"

I'm very close to 100%-ing this game. I have all custom special moves, all smash run powers, 683 trophies, and all but one challenge (the "collect every piece of equipment, custom special move and clothing" one). I got there mainly by grinding in Trophy Rush (Fox's laser spam is OP - my high score is 684k) and Smash Run. I just need to grind for Mii headgear now, which is going to suck.

As for Classic on 9.0, I tried a bunch of the strats I saw online and nothing was working. Spamming up smash with Dorf, nothing. Trying to spam Greninja's down-air, nothing. I was getting destroyed every time b
I have the PAL version, so that's probably why the message is different.

As for 9.0 Classic mode, I have a great Rosalina build for it, and also did it with my Smash Run Greninja build.

Top Bottom