• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Hypothetical" Tourney Item List

VisetheStompy

Smash Cadet
Disclaimer! Please Read the below disclaimer before going reply crazyDisclaimer!
Ok first off lets get some things out of the way

1) This is not a soupbox thread. It is not trying to get you to play with items on nor is it telling you to play with items off. Most people here have got a preference firmly established and I am happy with which ever you choose.

2) This thread is not trying to dictate what should or should not be tourney rules. Tournament organizers decide that and have the right to do what they want.

3) This thread will be a long, like ridiciously long, sorry in advance.

4) I am going to be making a couple of analogies. They are not perfect but Smash is a really unique game so making decent analogies is pretty tricky. If my comparisions upset you, sorry.

5) Please try to be civil. I have already mentioned I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, I just want to get some interesting conversation going. If you are coming in solely to argue the merits of items on or off it would be probably better to not bother.

Disclaimer Over

With Brawl's release in the States on the Horizon, a lot of people are itching to see just how the competive scene will turn out and many have already started guessing what the format will be, what stages will be regulated to the banned or counter pick groups, and what characters will come out on top.

While some people are advocating just a flat transfer of Melee's format, many others(including myself) at the very least want to give everything a test run before deciding what is in and what is out. One of the biggest controversies right now is on the status of items.

For those unaware of item countroversy history of Melee( Though Im not sure there are many on this site) The short summary is a lot of arguments occured over trying to have some items in tournements or not. For a time there actual was both tournements with items on and off but after repeated testing the exploding crate factor ultimatly led to no items being the universal standard of all tournanaments, which frankly is 100% justified.

With the discovery in Brawl that exploding crates could actually be turned off the item on/off controversy has exploded back on to the scene hotter than ever.

I have seen arguments on both sides and rather than turn this into one of those threads Ill just outline the strongest argument on either side as well as my counter points.

The pro-item sides best argument is it is rather difficult to claim to be the most skilled player if one is not capable of handling every aspect of the game. The skills for throwing, counter catching, and weapon could lead to some very interesting strategies and matches as well as add some flavor to characters who have skills relating to items.

Now to be realistic even if items were on most peoples tournaments performance would be exactly the same. Perhaps one or two people would be item savaunts or hopelessly incapable of winning with them on, but the majority of high level tournament players would still be on top and the majority of low level players would still be on the bottom.

If a tournament player and a casual player had 20 matches with items on and 20 matches with items off, the tournament player will still have the large majority of the victories with only a difference of probably 1-3 matches. However in a tournament with hundreds or even thousands of dollars at stake a single match up is a huge difference! It is not only easier on the players but it is easier on the tournament organizers to have items off While I am sure the majority of tournament goers are pretty easy guys, giving a few bad apples the opportunity to be total jerks because of something unexpected happening because of items is not good for tourneys.

Which leds to the best anti-tournament argument, randomness and balance. Items are random and randomness can sometimes cause some serious imbalances in games. This is why you don't see people having national tournaments for flipping coins or roulett. It pointless and stupid.

However there are some games that do have random chance in them and are still competive games. These can be found in many other formats such as the table top and card game scenes. The difference lies in something I like to call "Controlled" and "Uncontrolable" probability.

A game like roulett is a game with "Uncontrolable" probability. Regardless of what you do, there is no way for you to be able to increase you chances of winning. You always have the same random chance of being a winner.

However in games like Poker, Mahjong, or Magic the Gathering. You have "Controlled" probability. By understanding how the game mechanics work in the game, one can manipulate chance to work in ones favor, negate bad luck, or even completly turn around a disadvantage to an advantage.

This leads me to the discussion at hand. If I was a betting man I am almost positive, even after trying the various mechanics out, that the major tournaments like Evo and MLG will ban all items straight up. Frankly as mentioned before I think this is perfectly justified considering the money at stake.

However I don't think this necessarly has to be universal. At small tournaments, such as side events at convetions. I think some interesting varitation of rules could be explored. Now I understand that some items are overpowered in 1 vs 1 matches, regardless of what anybody can do. I don't think all items are this overpowered. Being able to grab the sandbag that popped up next to you does not automatically stop the match and declare you the winner.

The following list is a suggested group of items to use if one wanted to try some variety at a low stakes tournament setting. They are divided into catagories based on how the item is used. If an item has a high game swinging factor, it is banned. If an item has some potential risk or needs to be properly used to gain a benfit, it is considered for play

Status effect items
Star Frankly the star is overpowered. Like many status effect items there is no risk involved, you get the item, you get an advantage. The star is the worst as one does not even need to make the effort to pick it up. If it touches you the next few secounds of the match are reduced to a game of keep away.

Spicy Curry Like the star once you get the curry you get insane damage dealing attack with no risk to your character. Another ban

Hammer/Golden Hammer This items actually has some risk to it because you are sometimes dealt a dud. Also certain character moves and stages can negate or kill a hammer wielder. Despite this it almost always leads to a stale in the match so banned as well.

Big/Small Mushrooms Risky, and the characters still needs to use regular moves to attack. However the items move around changing people very unexpectdedly. Also the big mushroom has little disadvantage. Another ban

Earthbound Badge Free reflector with no risk? You guessed it, another ban.

Metal Suit Of all the status effect items, this is really the only plausible one. Being metal has a pretty fair share of advantages and disadvantages. I would say maybe but since it doesn't really have any skill dynamic to it I would lean toward ban.

Max tomato, Food, Heart Healing really just stales the game, and anyone who gets it just gets an advantage unless ytou are at 0%, which is still good. Ban

Lightning Bolt, Clock, Screw Attack, Bunny Hood, Cloaking Device Why are all these times together? Well because I am tired of stating the obvious, they are no risk, no skill items. Blanket Ban

Shooting Items
Super Scope On one hand, a full charge shot has some insane damage. On the other other hand so does several charchters full charge shots. This one at least can't be stored and eventually runs out. Edit: Accounts of scale back firmly planting this in testing grounds

Ray GunIts got strong knock back, which may make it abusive on flat stages. Running out of ammo and a relativly slow firing speed makes this a maybe for now.Edit: Reports of dramatic buffs lead to banned until proven innocent.

Firecracker I admit, I don't know much about this item. If it is hard to aim or the projectiles are relativly tame, keep it. If they are actually strong, ban it.

Fireflower If characters stayed immobile like in melee I would have kept this item, but now that I can see people can push people along with it Im on the fence on this item as well.
Dragoon While you do need to both collect and properly aim the item to get its full use. I fear from seeing it in action that its boon is too great. Edit: Many people are argueing it is not imbalanced as previously thought so further tested is warranted for final conclusions

Melee Weapons
Homerun Bat This is the only melee weapon I know should be banned at the start. The potentially number of KO's a person can accumulate with this warrants an immediate ban.

Beam SwordI have seen Peaches pull this in no item matches and still not one. It is a great advantage but simply swing the sword around does not mean victory. Keep but watched for potential abuse

Lip Flower Either you chuck it for a little poison or swimng it for some damage. A pretty tame item, keep

Star Rod Projectile or toss weapon. Like the flower it gives a pretty nice boon but you got to know how to use it. Keep

Fan Im slightly worried you could lock people in corners like I have seen certain A moves do. I would need to now if people can DI out of it or how easy it is to lock people in for a final call. Keep for now

Exploding items
Bomb, Sticky Bomb and B-Bomb
All seem to have too dramatic an impact in KOing so they will be banned

Proxy Mine/Warp Star Edit:Requests for further testing are placing these on the fence for now
Throwing Items

Pokeball/Assit Trophies Though the effect is random, some of the characters that pop out are far to game swing to allow. Ban

Banna Peal Diddy chucks these out. Its pretty simple and equal risk/gain/ A keeper

Ice cube This item is tough to nail with and at low levels its very easy to break out of. Another keeper

Deku nut A hit or miss chucking item. Keep

Green ShellThough potentially reversable, Im afraid the knockback may be too great to warrant. Banned until proven innocent.

Soccer ball You can'y just grab this item and use it. It requires good aim to get use out of. Edit: Major gramatical error, this item can not be thrown but accounts of major KOing potentially have moved it to to the maybe catagory

Healing Orb Only warrant in team play. Though unlike other healing items, this one doesn't just give free healing. Further testing for ban or keep.

Bumper/Spike Ball/Spring These trap items are pretty obvious when set and do not dramtically swing the game in only one players favor. Plus then can potentially back fire, all keepers.

Mr. Saturn Oh yeah, getting this guy definatly means you win the game;) He stays.

Sandbag Another very low impact item. In fact this may actually help balance as A pins, laser pins, and chain grabs can be interupted if this guy appears in between the two. Keep

Smoke Bomb Another very tame low impact item. Keep

Pit trap Not sure how badly someone pinned is hurt of if it can screw people up on cretain platofrm stages. A maybe toward leaning towards keep

Storage Items
Exploding Crates and other exploding containers Fool, your the reason items where banned in the first place!:mad: At least we can turn you off now:) Double ban

Non Explosive Containers Now free of their explosive kin, they can stay in. Also like the sand bag it can serve as an infinite lock breakers. Keep

Final Smashes I kept final smashes last because they got the most controvery over them. Unlike other items, one can simply pick it up to use, you got to make the effort to break them open. They also move around the stage, negating any advanatage popping up next to someone brings. Finally you got to use it, which is hit or miss in some cases.

I have some poeple say that only final smashes should be on, I think this is a terrible idea. As others have pointed out, if only final smashes on then people wiill pick charcters with low risk final smashes and camp for the ball to get all kills.

Now if the smash ball is intermixed with a large number of low risk items, then they show up infrequantly or not at all. This makes camping for the ball impracticle and opens the final smash for further testing. Keep in until proven guilty.

Well thats my list. Feel free to post your thoughts and if you got to the end without reading the disclaimer, please go read it:)

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Dragoon as banned... meh... I think that needs to be rethought. Kind of like the final smash stuff... I think it would be needed to be proven guilty before a ban.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Ok, even if we assume your list is correct, how do you remove the aspect of randomness in spawn location. If it's the final stock of the match and you're trying to recover VS a marth, if an item spawns that allows him to use a projectile to edgegaurd, you're getting kind of ripped off.

Items are great, theyre always fun. I think the biggest problem is not the affect of the item, but more of it's randomness of spawn time/location. Random is never good. I think you're going to get a * thumbs down * from a lot of people.

Finch

Smash Lord
A lot of the reasons items are banned actually has nothing to do with randomness, but, at least in melee, items just aren't that useful once you pass a certain level. Every stage except final destination has some randomness to it, and that's enough for competitive players. If I were in a tournament and a beam sword spawned right next to me I wouldn't even want to use it because the way I play the game relies on the moveset of my character, and changing that puts me at a disadvantage. Also, I certainly wouldn't want to win because I threw a star rod at my opponent while he was trying to recover. That is just dumb, and makes competition completely not fun. Items are banned because tournament goers simply have more fun without them.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Soccer ball has massive knockback = ban

Crates/Barrels would be banned cuz when the slide they do a lot of damage. A crate could randomly spawn off screen and hit you = ban

Super Scope: This is actually a pretty fair item. It's basically like samus' neutral b and the weaker hit can't lock in anymore in brawl = not banned

Proximity Mine = this takes skill to use, it wasn't banned in melee item tourneys before the competitive scene banned items. Snakes has moves similar to this. It takes some skill to use and can be avoided as well = not banned

Ray gun: banned. It can combo you off the stage into death = banned

Fan: Jigglypuff has an infinite combo with it, perhaps other characters as well have this = banned

U didn't mention pokeballs or at's or the clock thingy, but those would probably be banned to (for obvious reasons).

This list is another reason why the competitive scene turns off items. There's only like 6 that aren't really unfair. Plus even if one of the non-banned items spawn next to you, you basically gain an advantage in the match.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
A lot of the reasons items are banned actually has nothing to do with randomness, but, at least in melee, items just aren't that useful once you pass a certain level. Every stage except final destination has some randomness to it, and that's enough for competitive players. If I were in a tournament and a beam sword spawned right next to me I wouldn't even want to use it because the way I play the game relies on the moveset of my character, and changing that puts me at a disadvantage. Also, I certainly wouldn't want to win because I threw a star rod at my opponent while he was trying to recover. That is just dumb, and makes competition completely not fun. Items are banned because tournament goers simply have more fun without them.
Actually, that's wrong. Sorry. Tourney goers didn't ban items because they weren't fun, it was because they were random and unbalanced.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
I like this topic/list. A lot more items could be available than I would have guessed.

But why ban proximity mines, warp stars and sticky bombs? Anyone who gets hit with a warp star is just an idiot, and proximity mines / sticky bombs, while relatively powerful, are just as dangerous to the user as to his/her opponent.

I can see sticky bombs being banned since faster character would have another advantage, but proximity mines and warp stars should definitely be in.

Also, why ban the screw attack??

The World Series of Poker requires a $10,000 buy-in yet there is tons of luck; however, the game is more about how one adapts to whether or not they are getting lucky than it is who is getting lucky.

It's the same reason I like to play with items with my friends: It's more than just basic skill, but the flow of the dynamics of who's dangerous and who's got the upper hand and how each player reacts.

iron blade

Smash Ace
If the fan works the same way as it did in Melee, why ban it? It was extremely easy to get out of combos with it. Just DI towards the person and you go through them and escape.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I don't see Sticky Bombs being banned. They present a huge risk to the user, because the opponent can reverse it and make the user explode instead.

Overall, nice post. I'll probably be experimenting with items and setting up gimmick matches, too. It'll be fun stuff.

Eaode

Smash Champion
It's the same reason I like to play with items with my friends: It's more than just basic skill, but the flow of the dynamics of who's dangerous and who's got the upper hand and how each player reacts.
Playing with your friends is not a tournament. Nobody is trying to influence the way you play on your own time. This isn't just directed to you, I've seen a lot of people take these kind of debates personally.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I actually like this list. But I disagree with a couple of things, especially the stick bomb. The sticky bomb's argument should be similar to the hammer's . It can backfire.

Admittedly, though, it's unlikely it would backfire.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
Playing with your friends is not a tournament. Nobody is trying to influence the way you play on your own time. This isn't just directed to you, I've seen a lot of people take these kind of debates personally.
???

If you treat people like they're ignorant they will lash out at you... That's why competitive players take a lot of heat. No duh playing with my friends is not a tournament! "take these kind of debates personally"? The thread seemed like a friendly discussion of items... I wouldn't even call it a debate, let alone the discussion somehow being painful to my ego.

I wasn't defending my right to use items at all. I was making a general statement about the use of items. You're responding to problems that are not there.

Jackal478

Smash Ace
There are 3 main reasons we dont use items

-Random Spawns
-Exploding Crates
-Potential to change the outcome of the Match.

Not because some are better than others.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Ok, even if we assume your list is correct, how do you remove the aspect of randomness in spawn location. If it's the final stock of the match and you're trying to recover VS a marth, if an item spawns that allows him to use a projectile to edgegaurd, you're getting kind of ripped off..
New airdodge mechanics and easier catching sorta render the situation you gave null. And the fact that he's only proposing items with low knockback when thrown, means this isn't really any more dangerous then a Link throwing bombs off the edge.

To the original poster, I think the Dragoon should be kept. It's basically a balanced version of the smash ball. Sure pieces appear randomly, but getting all three to appear next to the same person, and to be able to keep them while waiting eliminates that factor. The main concern with the smash ball is the fact that some characters final smashes are better then others, but the Dragoon gives the same "attack" for everyone, and it looks avoidable and hard to use.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice

-Random Spawns
-Exploding Crates

But changing what items are available mutes the effects of those three problems.

Eaode

Smash Champion
???

If you treat people like they're ignorant they will lash out at you... That's why competitive players take a lot of heat. No duh playing with my friends is not a tournament! "take these kind of debates personally"? The thread seemed like a friendly discussion of items... I wouldn't even call it a debate, let alone the discussion somehow being painful to my ego.

I wasn't defending my right to use items at all. I was making a general statement about the use of items. You're responding to problems that are not there.
I was responding because although you know exactly what you mean, others might interpret it differently. We're talking about a competitive standpoint, there is no need to bring up that you like to use items in your free time. Some people would interpret that the wrong way and sway arguments to a different topic.

I'm just being cautious, is all.

roguebanshee

Smash Cadet
There aren't going to be items. That's that.
From the OP:
The following list is a suggested group of items to use if one wanted to try some variety at a low stakes tournament setting.
And:
2) This thread is not trying to dictate what should or should not be tourney rules. Tournament organizers decide that and have the right to do what they want.
No, he isn't trying to force you to play with items in a $10000 tournament.

roguebanshee

Smash Cadet
I read his post. What I'm saying is that it won't happen.
Unless you control what happens at all Smash Tournaments, then you're just as correct as if you had written: "No one will ever play with items on, even in friendlies." or "Everyone will want to use items in tournaments."

VisetheStompy

Smash Cadet
Wow lots of responses, Ill try to address everyone but if I missed your question or comment just point it out again and I shall address it the next time I post.

Team Giza-Wow lots of cries for the Dragoon, ok maybe I spoke to quickly on decrying it. Ill put this under Tes with extreme scrutiny catagory.

-Aether- Dealing with the Random spawning location is exactly what list is about. By picking items you have to use properly you take control of the randomness much the same way other competive games with random factors do. For example looking at you scenario, from a melee point of view, you are screwed.

In that game you could take the hit and die, or air dodge, lose your thrid jump and die. However they thankfully fixed that this time around. Every character can now avoid incoming attacks in the air without losing recovery potential. Furthermore the recovery game in this one is considerable better, with more options and better return on recovery moves. There still may be rare situation where you can mess a recovery up with an item, but it should take the same amount of skill it does to say impact with a fully charged special move, or interupt a Ness or a tether recovery move, if not more skill.

Finch I understand many like yourself just don't enjoy playing with items, Im okay with that and would not insult your intelligence by saying your decision is wrong. However I do not think it is fair to claim to speak for the entire tournament scene. As mentioned before item tournaments were held until the exploding crate factor proved it was unfeasible. This list is an attempt to create a variation. Im positive no item tournaments will still be the majority so no worries:)

thesage Wow big list of comments:laugh:
Soccer ball-I heard its great when it hits, but how easy is it to set up a hit compared to a thrown item? If its just as easy then yes Ill agree that it should be banned, but I need to know how easy it is too use first

Crates-I was under the impression that wheeled crates had to be given momentum by players and wouldn't move until then. If thats the case then no worries, if not I would have to see if the impact killed like a wondering bomb does before a final conclusion was made.

Super Scope- Yeah Im still on the fence with this item. I have rarely seen it used well which is why I don't want to definitivly vote one way or another. This needs heavy testing.

Ray Gun-Like the soccer ball I need to know how easy it is to set up for a kill to draw a conclusion. It was pretty tame in melee but perhaps its been amped up.

Clock/Pokeball/Assit Trophies- They are up there, the pokeball and trophy are right under the throwing item title and the clock is the big list of staus effect at the end of that catagory.

joepinion
Ok maybe I was too fast to draw a blanket ban on all explosives. Its just explosives are very unforgiving compared to most other items. Im willing to give the mine, sticky and star another try. Though I won't budge on the other two (but I think you agree with me on this since you don't mention them)

As for the screw attack, its been changed this game. Unlike last game where you held it and could throw it, this time its just equiped so you can still grab other items. Since it just gives you a free jump attack without and negative consequence, I suggested baning it.

Jackal478 Good news! As mentioned in my post you can now turn off exploding crates. As for the random location and advantage, as also mentioned in my initial post this thread is to look at an item list that statisically gives you the same percentage of wins with items on as off, hence providing variety without endangering balance.

Linko Ridley Good use of visual information. However if you also notice the party ball and barrel are also not on the screen. If I have been told correctly (and if I haven't I aplogie for the misinformation) all the exploding containers are under the flame marked crate, and all the non exploding containers are under the regular crate. So you can keep containers that don't explode without fear of the exploding ones popping up. If for some reason there are still exploding containers on the regular group. Then good news! You can turn them off as well:)

Flaming Dragon Wang Like I said to Finch, you have a right to play how you want but you are not being fair to a lot people by claiming to speak for everyone. Please be reasonable. I am aware the major tourneys will most likely end up with items off. Yet there is an opportunity for lower end tournaments to have variation that still takes into account fairness that should not be ignored.

I am not speaking for everyone. I do not control what happens at tournaments. It's foresight.

Items will be banned. The unpredictability of where an item will land in what situation makes the match uneven and forces the players to rely on luck rather than skill. The greatest Smash player in the world can be defeated by a casual player that happened to pick up a helpful item.

Sephi_hatu

Smash Apprentice

You can't ban capsules.
Heh. Are capsules even in brawl?

On the subject of randomness of item spawns in Brawl, this is something I have yet to see. I havn't exactly see anyone stop to analyze how and when items spawn in Brawl. Most people dont have the game, and the people who do are rather focused on recording other non-tourny related things. It would be like sakurai to change how items appear and not tell us...

And to the OP, excellent post. Much more subdued than my approach. Glad to see I at least sparked some conversation.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I am not speaking for everyone. I do not control what happens at tournaments. It's foresight.

Items will be banned. The unpredictability of where an item will land in what situation makes the match uneven and forces the players to rely on luck rather than skill. The greatest Smash player in the world can be defeated by a casual player that happened to pick up a helpful item.
Swap the word "tournaments" with "settings with items that can still be played seriously." You're just stating the obvious/already stated by the OP multiple times.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I would just like to say that the reason screw attack is banned is because it is broken for characters like jiggs and fox. Screw attack combos into rest/shine (which makes it too easy for shine spikes). It also give you a really high priority attack.

thesage Wow big list of comments:laugh:
Soccer ball-I heard its great when it hits, but how easy is it to set up a hit compared to a thrown item? If its just as easy then yes Ill agree that it should be banned, but I need to know how easy it is too use first

Crates-I was under the impression that wheeled crates had to be given momentum by players and wouldn't move until then. If thats the case then no worries, if not I would have to see if the impact killed like a wondering bomb does before a final conclusion was made.

Super Scope- Yeah Im still on the fence with this item. I have rarely seen it used well which is why I don't want to definitivly vote one way or another. This needs heavy testing.

Ray Gun-Like the soccer ball I need to know how easy it is to set up for a kill to draw a conclusion. It was pretty tame in melee but perhaps its been amped up.

Clock/Pokeball/Assit Trophies- They are up there, the pokeball and trophy are right under the throwing item title and the clock is the big list of staus effect at the end of that catagory.
Meh, I don't know much about the soccer ball, I just saw a vid where it hit someone and sent them really far away (like as if it was by a hammer). Even if this is hard to use, competitive players would be able to aim it and thus it would be broken. Imagine if it spawned while your off the stage.

Crates and barrels do slide by their own now (barrels already did). In stages like Yoshi's story (and I'm assuming Corneria), the roll around. They knockback is the same as when somebody throw them at you. They also act like the soccer ball if you hit them with a strong attack that doesn't break them.

The new ray gun is like falco's laser lock, except in the air, and it juggles you infinitely off the platform. It's much more powerful than it was in melee. In melee item tourneys this item was not banned, but it's much more powerful in brawl. In melee the ray gun was almost exactly like falco's laser, so it wasn't banned cuz it just made a character like falco for a short amount of time. An item that infinitely combos that easily in brawl should be banned.

Super Scope shouldn't be banned cuz it's not that broken. You'd have to ban samus then. Plus the stream of weak hitting hits is much easier to DI out of. If this item is exactly the way it was in melee then it should be alright

Proximity mines shouldn't be banned cuz they're the item that takes the most skill to be used. They had strategy to the game. Plus they aren't that broken. Snake has 3 attacks that are similar to this item. Shouldn't we ban him instead?

I've changed my mind on gooey bombs and put them in the banned category. They're exactly like a bo-omb that's just delayed. A smart player would never let themselves be touched by the person they just put a bomb on.

If capsules cannot be turned off then all items are insta-banned.

Swap the word "tournaments" with "settings with items that can still be played seriously." You're just stating the obvious/already stated by the OP multiple times.
Except for the fact that all of the items give some advantage to the user, so no matter which item it is, it changes Brawl into a game of luck.

Nobody wants to miss out on a chance of winning something because a Smash Ball appeared next to their opponent.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman

-Random Spawns
-Exploding Crates

Yaaaaay for logic!

Anything that has the ability to unfairly change the outcome of
the match with no strategy at all should be banned, not to mention
most items can function as projectiles with extraordinary knockback, easily
resulting in a kill...

VisetheStompy

Smash Cadet

I think we are just going to have to leave it at agree to disagree or we will end up talking in circles for the rest of the thread. You think items are too unbalanaced and I think it depends on the item and its application once aquired. Thats been established and I think thats as far as this line of converstation has to go.:)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Why do infinites equal autoban? Especially ones that are so avoidable.
Cuz it doesn't need to be against a wall. The jiggs can just spam neutral a over and over again, as far as I know you can't di out of it. Plus it's quick and has some range. Infinites are autobanned unless they take skill to use (like 0-death combos).

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
After much much complaining from my direction...I am perfectly fine with all items on as long as the one hit ko items are off....that includes smash balls...

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Soccer ball You can just grab this item and use it. It requires good aim to get use out of. Keep
The soccer ball actually has around the same amount of knockback as a bob-omb or something similar. You can think of it as an explosion weapon for what it counts.

VisetheStompy

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the info thesage. Im surprised to hear the Ray gun got such a big biff, but now that it has happened, what can ya do. However I am pleased to hear the rapid fire aspect of the scope is easier to avoid (which honestly was always more anouying than the charge shots) I throw my vote in to keep it.

Crates and Barrles Ill still be on the fence on because unlike their exploding counterparts, it only occurs on specfic stategs in specfici areas and being slamed by a thrown crate is not quite as dramatic as an explosion.

If sticky bombs are easy to keep away from then yes keep em banned. As for mines its not how the move is used (I know about Snakes similar moves) its scale compared to them. If the proxy mines bang and knock back are considerable greater than Snakes Land mine and C4 it still should probably staty banned, but Ill need to see the results for myself before casting a vote.

Thanks for the input again thesage!

Top Bottom