• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Look at Japan's *WEEKLY* キャラランク "Chara Ranks" (use Official Sticky for Tier Debate)

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
The reason why falco is rating so high on the Japanese tier lists is because bombsoldier has once again proved falco's worth, falco's metagame has evolved to incorporate his chain throws and for recovery, using his b-side; falco has changed tremendously in brawl and still remains a great character. falco seems like he will place very high (under Snake and MK) on the SBR tier list and many believe he will be fighting for the thrid spot on the list with Marth, G&W, ROB and DDD as competition
video show bombsoldiers falco a month ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26l244eEzEY

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone even know for sure if bombsoldier plays Brawl competitively (at tournaments) or not?

He may not, as this could easily just be from some friendlies that he played. I could easily see bombsoldier being this good at Brawl without practicing it/playing it much.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Why question it Fiz? Diddy is a mindgame king, and for players that are inexperienced vs a good diddy will be frustrated when they face one.

I'm personally concerned with Lucas's position as well as Pikachu. Maybe they should swap positions.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering with Dedede is so slow.
-Rei
do you mean so low?

i think it is because the Japanese have a more aggressive play style. while Americans have a more defensive play style and DDD is more suited for that defensive playstyle so he does better in US tournaments.

ganon is NOT bottom

spike and suicide is edge games ftw
this is based on Japanese tournament results and they show that he is indeed bottom tier there. Even though this isn't technically a tier list.
this is data not japanese smasher opinions.

Binx

Smash Master
This is kind of cool to see how Japans ideas of good characters are compared to what characters we like. I think its based mostly on who is doing the best in their country, Falco is probably so high because some asian pro is doing well with him, maybe BS? dunno. Obviously they found out about Snake too haha.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
they like using diddy and falco.

here we use mroe rob and ddd

g&w is too good in both countries, they seem to like koopa, and ike + marth too

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
i think pit was only high in the beginning because everyone sucked and pit's had the upperhand due to mind games. now that everyone has powershielding,airdodge and sidestep down. arrows and juggling people off maps have become seriously nerfed. before when everyone played melee style theese things just crushed the opposition. seems like thats the style that d3 is more viable with

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
G being claimed by Ganondorf makes Mirai unhappy. I really think they're off base with him, not enough Autocancelled Stomps and Circlekicks.

K1T3

Smash Lord
For those who didn't know the Japanese got this game before we did and are the ones that we steal all the "advanced techs" from. They are more than likely at a higher level of brawl than the US.

Pit is so high because Masashi plays him and *****. (at least that's my assumption)
There is Ike love too. Masashi also plays him and still ***** (DDD)... but not nearly as well since he's not as good.
And they don't like falco more then MK they're just winning with him more. Falco is way too good and deserves second place. You need to play a good falco if you think otherwise.

And LOLOLOLOL at the Japanese having a more aggressive play style than the US. They were more defensive in Melee and they continue to be more defensive in brawl. They just play soooo very safe it's crazy.

RobertZombie

Smash Cadet
Dude Japanese knew about Ganon's Thunderstomps and Girdle kick cancels since Febuary. (they were doing it on the 1st HRC videos they posted

Forte has the best Brawl ganon in Japan (and i think in the world) but he recently changed to Meta :( since Ganny had bad matchups all around

Face it Ganon aint that great compared to the others (although he still pwns and is still is one of the most satisfiying chars to use)

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
I just think that the Japanese don't like Ganondorf and take more of a shining to Falcon. If nobody plays Gdorf, then he'll ride in G Tier forever.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Dude Japanese knew about Ganon's Thunderstomps and Girdle kick cancels since Febuary. (they were doing it on the 1st HRC videos they posted

Forte has the best Brawl ganon in Japan (and i think in the world) but he recently changed to Meta :( since Ganny had bad matchups all around

Face it Ganon aint that great compared to the others (although he still pwns and is still is one of the most satisfiying chars to use)
You do realize that Forte lives in Virginia, right?

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Can someone explain how Japan's metagame is more developed than the US's and if it is why don't we just borrow knowledge from them?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha wow what's with the japanese DDD ranking? the rest is understandable, but that is just wow.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Okay, so I've talked to some Japanese pros about this Character Rank list and they told me that "we must not trust" the list.

Apparently it does not name the people included in the ranking, and does not account for some of the bigger tournaments or more important players.

Since Japan does not have an SBR, they just communicate in the open. Right now Yonezumi, a Japanese Pikachu pro is collecting the opinions and data of the top pros to compile what he calls a "cross diagram." He wasn't very clear about how exactly the list is compiled, so I'm hesitant to post the link to it until I can explain more clearly. From what I can tell, it's similar to Phanna's matchup chart, but only a few of the characters have been filled in because Yone asks top pros for each character separately. So far, Yoshi, Dedede, C. Falcon, Pikachu, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Squirtle have been completed.

I asked him specifically about the Dedede rank, and Yonezumi said this is completely untrue and not representative of Japan's Dedede play. Again, you should not trust this list. IKKI (the sponsor of Ketubato) is an excellent Dedede secondary and was the one who contributed to his matchup statistics on Yone's chart.

tl;dr None of Japan's top pros trust or care about this chart.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
@kamekasu

thanks
the hawaii boards pretty much came to that consensus after actually reading through some of the japanese

i got excited when i saw Ikki was (maybe) on the board

this project is kaput x_X

kamekasu

Smash Ace
@kamekasu

thanks
the hawaii boards pretty much came to that consensus after actually reading through some of the japanese

i got excited when i saw Ikki was (maybe) on the board

this project is kaput x_X
Yeah, I was a bit skeptical too. So I read through the 2chan thread and shot an email to Yone and Gano. Basically, the people compiling the rankings are no-names that don't really know what they're doing. You might want to modify the first post or change the thread title. It's interesting, but ultimately not accurate and people need to know that.

On another note, I'm going to post Yone's matchup chart when it's complete (He used it as evidence that Dedede is much better than these ranking lists' suggest). It turns out it's compiled in the exact same way that phanna's chart is compiled.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was a bit skeptical too. So I read through the 2chan thread and shot an email to Yone and Gano. Basically, the people compiling the rankings are no-names that don't really know what they're doing. You might want to modify the first post or change the thread title. It's interesting, but ultimately not accurate and people need to know that.

On another note, I'm going to post Yone's matchup chart when it's complete (He used it as evidence that Dedede is much better than these ranking lists' suggest). It turns out it's compiled in the exact same way that phanna's chart is compiled.
gg man will do will do

I.T.P

Smash Ace
according to Kei-san, only the first list was Ikki, there wasn't and wouldn't be an official list since then.

they're having the first Ketubato X this weekend though, I'll get results when they post them

kamekasu

Smash Ace
according to Kei-san, only the first list was Ikki, there wasn't and wouldn't be an official list since then.

they're having the first Ketubato X this weekend though, I'll get results when they post them
Yeah, I'm getting results from Gano as things happen so I'll also post as I find it.

@clowsui: "queensaki" is IKKI, who is sponsoring Ketubato which means he'll be uploading the videos.

Top Bottom