• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Message for the Smash Tournament Community

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
I admit the smash community is mostly made up of great people, fun to play with, open and top players that sit down with you and help. I really enjoy most of the people I met throughout the smash community. Smash still has a long way to go though. There are so many differences between smash and games like SF:3rd strike, MvC2, Tekken 5, Virtua Fighter, even Guilty Gear. It's true we have a ever growing community that is huge right now, with people so addicted they drive 5+ hours for a 5 dollar tournament, with prior knowledge of winning no money because someone like m2k, kdj, or pc will win no matter what :-). But this game won't be taken on the same level as a fighting game that can have things that smash will never have.

A comeback that can happen in 10 seconds and people screaming their *** off for such a good combo

The ability to watch smash and understand whats going on for a regular person, becuase with games like street fighter, its simple to watch and understand whos winning. No one watching smash can determine technical skill, missing cancels, or not edge guarding perfectly unless they play it with knowledge of these things.

Certain random combos that looks flashy and keep the crowd entertained (Linking supers, using EX moves, Certain moves that just look flashy like Tekken Grabs)

I'm not saying that the smash community is a joke, i love playing tournaments with the people that are good in Philly, where I live, and evo east was really fun to participate in. But things gotta change though in brawl if you wanna make it the top fighting game to watch, cause the community is already there. thats my opinion though, don't ****ing blast me cause you don't agree, a simple "Well i believe differently, becuase ect ect ect...". This is just my opinion and nothing more, with no bias at all.

That did happen if I recall correctly PC was down to 1 stock and the oppenent had 4. PC won with only one stock it is the same as your 10second combo example. That is the only thing I could argue with the rest your right.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
twas a great read, i was happy at evo east...
it was really interesting
at the start of the finals, all the non smash players bashed it to no end
you heard them scream random insults etc
but when things started to heat up, they shut up quickly
they really seemed to like chu wobbling LOL
Im excited to see evo next year.

Kaotical

Smash Ace
The Smash community was the first video game community I ever participated and joined in. I've seen the community grow, learned it's history (I'm probably a small part of it), and made lots of friends with the players. I go to the tournaments mainly for two things: 1) to play the game, and 2) to enjoy the environment. The environment for a tournament for this game just cannot be beat, and I try and play every game out there. I've ran tournaments, traveled long distances, got angry when I lost or excited when I won...through all of that, I'd have to say that this definitely is my favorite game and it's more than just the game that brings me back. Everytime I see people playing it, it makes me think of all the times I've played at tournaments and all of the people I've met. I hope the community never changes, but with the way things are and the way the trend is going I don't think I have to worry much. Keep it up, everyone!!!

:chuckle:

Don Muffin

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it's the same way with other communities, but the whole idea of smashfests and having people open their house to random strangers is pretty cool.

I remember my first smashfest where I met chillin and Azen. My dad drove me like 45 minutes out to VA and I knocked on the door and this really ugly dude opened up. And I was like, omg, it's chillin. The face behind the screen name. We chilled and became friends.

Then I proceeded to get my booty handed to me.

Good times.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
this article is tight, dont know why i never saw it before. but yeah, the smash community is a lot warmer than many other fg communities, imo.

and slayer, i think the article described it best: we dont need to be the most watched game in evo. if we are, then fine and if we're not, then fine. this community rallies around our love for the game, and no matter how many times everyone has said "smash is a great game..to play with my 6 year old nephew" we just keep on going because we dont give a ****.

Fake Mofo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-3430-0703
this article and all of your comments fills my heart with an undiscribable feeling.
bravo to the author for seeing past all of the stereo types and into the heart of in my opinion the greatest game community of all time.
i guess the difference between us and all the other communities is that for us its all about the game, its not about the competitiveness, or winning money matches, its just the incredible love we all share for the greatest game of all time.

long live smash!

ThE_BaTmAn

Smash Lord
**** I never thought I would see the day EVO would be giving the smash community props and not only that but say that the other big fighting game community's should learn something from us as well. Thats pretty tight if you ask me. But idk bout these same results for brawl though

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've never been to a major tournament (save for MLG Chicago 2006), but I am proud to be a Smasher and to be part of this community.

Top Bottom