• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A message from a former P:M member

Status
Not open for further replies.

camelot

Smash Ace
Hey. I think it's about time I showed my face on here again.

In case you don't know who I am, here's a little history lesson for you about myself and the start of P:M -

I'm a former member of the Smash Workshop and the Project: M team, my actual title having been "Lead Character Designer" for P:M. Even though that was my title, I did do quite a bit more than just character-related stuff, though.

I joined the P:M team about 5 years ago, back when the team basically consisted of a few rogue/dissatisfied Brawl+ devs, and the project hadn't been publicly revealed yet (or possibly even had a name yet). Development remained in secret for a few months, because (at the time) so many people who had gotten into B+ would see it as a sort of betrayal against this newly established vision on what a competitive Brawl mod should be. Needless to say, though, P:M turned out to be what everybody wanted the entire time!

Shanus gave me my "lucky break" into the Brawl modding community after I won over his heart (I guess) with a Melee version of Captain Falcon, which was the first "Melee-ified" character done for P:M (naturally!). Some pretty major-league crap, considering pretty much all I had done before that was stalk the B+ thread, cataloging every "breakthrough" that made Brawl modding in general evolve. Like removing the momentum cap, which was like landing on the friggin' moon.

Long story short, I, along with some others (Shanus, SHeLL, and jiang come to mind), did reworks for the characters that weren't up to snuff compared to the Melee top-tiers. In general, we liked to make characters more fun to use. Sometimes it was to make them better fit a Melee-like environment, sometimes it was for "style points". Does Ike need to be able to walljump from his side-B? Ehh, probably not, but I added it anyway. 'Cause it's fun. Balance is important, but fun is more important. I stressed that all the time. (That's why I started hating B+ near the end of its development; even once new tools like Smash Attacks were available, the devs were so intent on balance that they restricted their freedom and ability to make stuff cool)

I in particular also liked fixing really trivial crap. I painstakingly changed about a million slightly misplaced sound and graphic effects on characters, and smoothened out quite a few animations in order to fit combat flow just the tiniest bit more. All of those little extra details just made the development process and the final game product that much more enjoyable to me (and others, I hope!).

----------

Now then, for those who do know who I am -

You'd probably like to know why I just disappeared without warning about 3 years ago. And, well... I have a few reasons, but I honestly don't think they excuse what I did, and I can't just simply apologize for it. I'll at least try to explain myself, though.

So, first off: after college started, I stopped doing anything related to Brawl or P:M, including coming to SmashBoards or visiting the IRC. After I moved to a rental house and classes started, I had plenty of free time, and I brought my Wii with me, so I definitely would have been able to continue working on P:M. Even if I wasn't able to, or simply didn't want to, though, that's no excuse for me just quitting without telling anyone! Telling someone was the absolute least I could have done.

At one point, during high school, I recall saying on the IRC that working on P:M eventually felt like working a job, which I didn't like the idea of. I phased out of that mindset within about a month, and started working on P:M again, but the feeling ended up coming back.

Another thing is - and I don't think I expressed this very well - I poorly handled criticism in general. Having even a single bad thing be said about P:M was extremely discouraging! On top of that, I had some serious anxiety issues, and I wasn't very able to filter criticism, either. The idea of "vocal minority" hadn't occurred to me yet, so you can imagine how that was inside the Smash Bros. community, of all things. My ability to give criticism probably could have used some work, too - I was also guilty of being a complete butthead on occasion.

Last, and somewhat related to the above point, I think I just got really tired of the way a lot of Smashers acted, mostly in the Brawl forums. Possibly a vocal minority thing again, but man, if you've seen the competitive Brawl forums back around '09-'11 (I don't know if it's changed since then, but I kind of doubt it), you'll immediately understand. I wasn't having any of that.

Basically, the culmination of all those things made P:M not feel like a hobby anymore, and I also had absolutely nobody to actually play the game with. That's when I straight-up abandoned everything Smash-related. And I just now realized what a big mistake I made.

Now, I can't go a single day without thinking about P:M and the team again. Seriously, you guys were probably my best friends throughout high school. Everyone who was committed to the project at the time (and maybe still are) - Shanus, SHeLL, StrongBad, Magus, jiang, standardtoaster, Shadic, JCaesar, GHNeko, WindOwl, BadGuy, TSON, and more (if I forgot you, sorry) - you all kept me motivated. This might sound really stupid, but if I never started working on P:M and never met any of you, I probably wouldn't have finished high school.

Abandoning everyone after all that and after all we accomplished with P:M, without any warning whatsoever, makes me feel like the biggest jack*ss in the world. You have no idea how difficult it was for me to post this. I squandered my opportunity to keep on contributing to one of the greatest game mods of all time.

Lately, I've been checking out some of the more recent P:M stuff, and I have to say... P:M has seriously turned into something incredible. So much time and talent has been devoted to this one mod, it's crazy. You guys are great. Keep on truckin'.

Honestly, I'm not really looking to join the P:M team again. I just thought it was necessary to come in and say that yes, I am alive, and I'm hoping you can forgive me. But if you don't, I totally understand.
Also, maybe I'm being overly serious and dramatic, but I don't really care, I just thought this had to be said.

So, see you around, maybe. (Before Brawl's WiFi service ends, Smash 4 comes out, and Michael Jackson joins the Smash 4 roster)

(One more thing - I have no idea if this was the right place to post this. Hopefully, it was)

TL;DR - just read it you lazy bestige

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Oh my god, camelot, I'm so excited to see you again! I'm glad we were able to inadvertently help you finish high school, haha. I wouldn't be where I am without this project, either. I forgive you for leaving without notice. We always had that running joke from shadic about you kayaking across the ocean as part of your Inuit heritage to explain why you were gone. :p

@ camelot camelot , you're in Northfield? That's only 50 mins away from Minneapolis. U of M hosts triweekly tournaments with melee and project m. The next tourney is next week on May 10. Hopefully you can make it out some time. I'd love to finally meet you.

Last edited:

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Hiya Camelot, good to see you. Life happens, no apology needed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Like Shell said, no need for apologies. :p We'd love to have you back, but if that isn't in the cards we're just glad to have heard from you.

Last edited:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Camelot I love you man. Even if you didn't respond to me on Facebook like a year or two ago.

Keep in touch. <3

camelot

Smash Ace
What's up!

If I were to rejoin the team, it would be after the semester ends, which is in 2 weeks. We'll see what happens. And no sudden disappearances again, I promise.

@ standardtoaster standardtoaster , I'm actually not in Northfield right now, I'm in Mankato. So, it's more like a 90 minute drive. The weekend of May 10th is open for me, though, so maybe I can drive down there. My god, I picked the wrong friggin' time to stop paying attention to Smash stuff... I had no idea the U of M hosted Smash tournaments. Well, it's not too late, I guess.

@ Shadic Shadic , you sent me a message on Facebook? Go ahead and send it again, I guess I never saw it.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
That face when I'm a new member and don't know who this is.

Your reputation precedes you though, I've heard a bunch about you. Awesome you're back regardless.

Juken

Smash Ace
I'm new to SmashBoards and don't have any idea who you are, but judging by your post, you have an eye for detail and appreciate accuracy and subtle aesthetics. Anyone who likes to go the extra mile is cool in my book, so welcome back I guess. :bee:

Last edited:

camelot

Smash Ace
Thanks a ton, guys. I wish I could give all of you a giant hug. Really.

It's cool to see how characters have changed. Samus with the Ice Beam? Unexpected, but I love that kind of stuff. Like I said, "fun" is the best possible reason for adding something in. Add cool stuff, balance later. I really respect Brawl- for that, too.

Looks like Sonic is actually using that breakdance d-smash now, there was a lot of debate over that. One person in particular, a Sonic main, really wanted to keep the old d-smash. Can't remember who it was. That one person was pretty much the only reason why the breakdance wasn't used for so long. Also, the new f-air looks great - more Sonic Battle moves? Sure, why not. I never really liked his old spinny f-air.

why you do dis?

Edit: Good news, I'm currently re-setting up P:M so I can bring it to a tournament in Minneapolis. Just for you, toaster.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
The love is real, but I'll admit that I'm commenting for the MN smash scene exposure.

It'll be cool to meet you at the next tri weekly if you come, @ camelot camelot

fun is fun

D

Deleted member

Hey camelot, I don't know you personally, but thanks for all the work you put in towards PM. It's always nice to see somebody come back home.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Looks like Sonic is actually using that breakdance d-smash now, there was a lot of debate over that. One person in particular, a Sonic main, really wanted to keep the old d-smash. Can't remember who it was. That one person was pretty much the only reason why the breakdance wasn't used for so long. Also, the new f-air looks great - more Sonic Battle moves? Sure, why not. I never really liked his old spinny f-air.
Oh man, I don't directly know you but now knowing you had a hand in making some of my favorite things of my main makes me already have so much respect. Welcome back I guess and Thanks so much! :D

Last edited:

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
Development remained in secret for a few months, because (at the time) so many people who had gotten into B+ would see it as a sort of betrayal against this newly established vision on what a competitive Brawl mod should be. Needless to say, though, P:M turned out to be what everybody wanted the entire time!
Everyone knew it was what they wanted the entire time they just didn't want to admit it

camelot

Smash Ace
Yeah, @ wiiztec wiiztec , I remember the reaction to P:M being pretty mixed when it was first announced. There was a decent amount of backlash, but eventually, those who played B+ were just like "who the hell am I kidding". Don't get me wrong, B+ was a good enough alternative to Brawl at the time, but it couldn't offer a way to truly fix Brawl's main issue: its fundamentally inferior combat system. So here we are.

Again, thanks for the support from everyone, including those I've never met before. The modding community really is one of the best parts of Smash.

D

Deleted member 245254

I don't personally know the TC nor any of the PM developers but I do play a lot of PM and so for that I'm thankful for the hand you and any of the others played in making PM what it is today.

However, it shouldn't go without mention that flat out drop-sacking a team of folks you committed to and call "friends", even going so far to admit that they are the reason for a chunk of your real life progression is a real sign of your age (at the time you did it).

It's good to see you man up and make a return, and it's even better that your mates seem to forgive you seamlessly, but there are certainly life lessons to be learned here. As long as you've gained a good bout of responsibility in this process I think you're better for it, but not everything in life you can just run away from.

Anyway, welcome back to smash and I hope to become further educated in your contributions as I spend more time here.

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
Yeah, @ wiiztec wiiztec , I remember the reaction to P:M being pretty mixed when it was first announced. There was a decent amount of backlash, but eventually, those who played B+ were just like "who the hell am I kidding". Don't get me wrong, B+ was a good enough alternative to Brawl at the time, but it couldn't offer a way to truly fix Brawl's main issue: its fundamentally inferior combat system. So here we are.

Again, thanks for the support from everyone, including those I've never met before. The modding community really is one of the best parts of Smash.
I was talking about the people who made brawl+ not the people who played it

PoTheDragonSlayer

Smash Cadet
Hey Camelot, I actually just signed up to Smashboards because I read your post, and I thought I should say something. It is very honorable of you to post this explanation and apology to the PMBR, and I can't imagine how hard it must have been to do that. It is so encouraging to see a humbling act like that, and I thank God for acts like these. Anyway, good for you dude, and also, thank you for all that you contributed to this amazing mod. I am a stickler for attention to detail myself, and when I read that you spent a ton of time smoothening out animations and fixing small graphics effects, I can't help but appreciate you doing that and I'm sure your efforts really helped polish the game.

PoTheDragonSlayer

Smash Cadet
Can I bump this for anyone who didn't have the pleasure of reading this happy PMDT thread? Did camelot decide to rejoin the team? Just curious :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom