• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Modest Proposal

mcw00ty

Smash Rookie
I know we're all supposed to hate All-Brawl rule set in these parts, but they do have something better than the normal rules, Character picking.

In the All-Brawl rules, you pick characters in the first match like normal, double blind. After the first match, the picking is handled more like a traditional fighter:

1. Winner MUST keep their character
2. Loser may change their character, OR the stage

Adopting this would encourage people to learn the ins and outs of their character 100%.

What do you guys think?

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
I haven't entered enough tournaments to have an educated oppinion.

I like the system they have in place,
and I am assuming most people do as well.

<.< besides that would encourage Metaknights use even more,

mcw00ty

Smash Rookie
I haven't entered enough tournaments to have an educated oppinion.

I like the system they have in place,
and I am assuming most people do as well.

<.< besides that would encourage Metaknights use even more,
I wasn't aware meta-knight had counter picks to begin with T.T

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm sure that's the very point he was intending to make. If they can't change character, no one is going to want to play anyone who has very hard counters... they would prefer to play Meta-Knight, who can't be counter-picked against as strongly.

mcw00ty

Smash Rookie
I'm sure that's the very point he was intending to make. If they can't change character, no one is going to want to play anyone who has very hard counters... they would prefer to play Meta-Knight, who can't be counter-picked against as strongly.
If that's the case, why don't people just play MK exclusively? ...oh wait, forgot what game we're playing -.-

XienZo

Smash Lord
If that's the case, why don't people just play MK exclusively? ...oh wait, forgot what game we're playing -.-
That was one of the points on the MK ban thread. Apparently, everyone SHOULD play MK exclusively.

salaboB

Smash Champion
That was one of the points on the MK ban thread. Apparently, everyone SHOULD play MK exclusively.
It is the "play to win" move to make.

That doesn't mean it's the most fun, and people do still like to have fun at tournaments.

comboking

Smash Master
cause if everybody was taught or learned metaknight we would not have to ban him hes not that hard to learn.

Revolver Roosevelt

Smash Cadet
The issue with this is that it discourages variety. The SLOB method allows for a lot of freedom, while still giving the loser a viable counterpick option. At the top level, people pretty much have their main down pat, so it's silly to argue that this system will test their knowledge of the character. The current system allows for people to test their knowledge of the entire game, not just their character

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Hold on, forget about Metaknight. He's currently on probation or something. I never quite understood why such a messed up counterpicking method has been used in Smash for all of these years. It's like they've heard of how things are done with the other fighters, wanted to be like them, but then wanting to do things their own way just to be different.

Is there any good reason NOT to adopt the All-Brawl method of counterpicking? The current method seems very odd to me, especially in SBR-Brawl. I mean, all of the stages that heavily favored one or two characters have been banned so it's not like it's the stage that's the biggest deciding factor. If your character beat mine, I should be able to try out my other character against him.

Does anybody know the exact history behind SBR-counterpicking? Everybody I've asked has given me very fuzzy answers.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Mcwooty wants us to fatten up infants in order to sell them as food for the lords and ladies to eat.

The counterpicking system for smash is a bit odd. I do like that the all is brawl system is much simpler but then again I guess in smash they don't want you to get an easy win just because you can choose to put them in a bad position more so than in other fighters I guess.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I agree with this proposal, because I heard it from a particularly well informed American.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Typically, a "modest proposal" is an absurd idea presented in a serious manner to be sarcastic and draw attention to attitudes about something. Unless I'm thick, this thread is just a bad suggestion about Meta Knight, which we already have topics for...

If you are going to make a reference to something, you should at least make a connection or parallel to it and not reference it arbitrarily.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
It's better the other way around. Loser must keep character, winner must switch. This discourages metaknight usage. Of course, we could always go with the loser banning a character neither can use for the next turn. =/

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's better the other way around. Loser must keep character, winner must switch. This discourages metaknight usage. Of course, we could always go with the loser banning a character neither can use for the next turn. =/
This is the the worst thing you could do. The winner is forced to counter the loser?

The loser should have the advantage in the next match, not the winner...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Dead babies are one thing, dead jokes from nearly 3 centuries ago are another.

;)

wangston

Smash Lord
Most of the time the winner keeps their character. Why change if you win. And if they do change it's because the one against some noob and they want to give them a chance or they want to try another character.

mcw00ty

Smash Rookie
Hahaha! I thought it was a cute name for the thread, I wasn't paralleling anything. And I definitely did not want it to devolve into "ban MK!" chatter. I just thought it would be a more simple approach to character picking, and make it a little more "cross game" friendly. I know I have some friends who are turned off from Brawl because of all the player made rules. Making it a bit more traditional fighter like would help ease some people into competitive play.

...also, eat more babies.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
It works fine how it is now. Honestly, most matches don't even use all the rules anyway. Both players just pick their character and decide on a stage. I've only played a couple of tourney matches where we had to do everything by the books with double-blinds and everything.

br4n

Smash Apprentice
smash is not a traditional fighter. the current counter-pick system works just fine. and has for quite awhile. its not going to change at this point.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Honestly, most matches don't even use all the rules anyway. Both players just pick their character and decide on a stage. I've only played a couple of tourney matches where we had to do everything by the books with double-blinds and everything.
That it is actually rarely used isn't an indication that it is somehow a good system. If anything, it's that it's a flawed one. If I recall correctly, the SBR system is:

- Loser picks stage
- Winner picks character
- Loser picks character

The All-Brawl system is:

- Loser picks either stage or character

The SBR-Brawl system ensures that you can never truely stage counterpick someone as he has the option to change characters. Of course, the downside to the All-Brawl style (as applied to the SBR ruleset) is that if the winner won on a stage where his character has an advantage, you really only counterpick one of the two factors (although that shouldn't be a big thing since the "neutral" stages are supposed to be balanced).

smash is not a traditional fighter. the current counter-pick system works just fine. and has for quite awhile. its not going to change at this point.
Competitive Smash has always tried its best to BE a traditional fighter. The All-Brawl system would work better. Things can change as better ways are found.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
The fact that it's rarely used means most smashers are able to come to an agreement without having to resort to lots of rules. In cases where they can't it works fine now. The All-Brawl set is just a joke, since it prevents someone who LOST from making up their disadvantage by limiting how much they can counter-pick.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
That it is actually rarely used isn't an indication that it is somehow a good system. If anything, it's that it's a flawed one. If I recall correctly, the SBR system is:

- Loser picks stage
- Winner picks character
- Loser picks character

The All-Brawl system is:

- Loser picks either stage or character

The SBR-Brawl system ensures that you can never truely stage counterpick someone as he has the option to change characters. Of course, the downside to the All-Brawl style (as applied to the SBR ruleset) is that if the winner won on a stage where his character has an advantage, you really only counterpick one of the two factors (although that shouldn't be a big thing since the "neutral" stages are supposed to be balanced).

Competitive Smash has always tried its best to BE a traditional fighter. The All-Brawl system would work better. Things can change as better ways are found.
The reason is that the latter system discourages play as any character with a particularly bad matchup. You'd NEVER use DK, because if you won with him, you'd have an auto-loss next round when your opponent chooses Dedede and you can't do anything about it. You might get a favorable MK vs Diddy on Final Destination, but then he takes you to Rainbow Cruise and you're screwed. It centralizes the game even more around characters with few bad matchups and no terrible ones, and in the case of Brawl, would only serve to further encourage the use of MK.

The current system helps prevent these sorts of godawful matchups from happening.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why did it take 10 replies before someone pointing out that no, this idea was in no way invented by All-Brawl?! It's called Slob Picks and has been in use since forever. Stop calling it the "All-Brawl system". It's like claiming it's "All-Brawl" if you ban Stalling.

Top Bottom