• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Challenger Approaches!

Pombo

Smash Rookie
Hello, (i hope thats the correct place to post that)
I`m new here and i want to bold some points, about myself

1-I`m not american/english. This mean my english is not perfect.
2-I`m not a new player. I play SSBM since 2004, but i stopped playing MANY times. In this 6 year i played and trained (not exactly a train, read more to understand) frequently for about 1 year (example: 3 months from 2004 + 3 months from 2005 + 1 month from 2006....).
2-I cannot count.
3-I`m a bad joker.
4-In the time i played, i fought mostly against CPU. I KNOW ITS NOT ENOUGH, AND I DONT WANT TO BE THE BEST SMASH PLAYER EVER, REALLY. I JUST WANT TO IMPROVE MY GAMEPLAY.
5-I`m curious.
6-I dont have anyone to play competitively or train competitively with. My brother can help me with small things, but he isnt good enough for battling against me.

Well, I hope that resumes who I am.
As you just read, ive played against CPU for a long time. I knew there were people that were better than me.
Someday (about a month ago) i saw a Blackhole video, and that inspired me to look for better people videos. I saw you guys. I was impressed.
My gameplay, against CPUs and my brother (i used to win, but now im far superior) improved. I learned techniques like wavedashing (im not a master).
But i want to improve MORE.

I love topics, so i will put some questions in another one.

1- What is Shuffling?
2-Teching is when you press L/R just right before you hit the ground after sent flying, right? (if yes, i always did that lol)
3-Is there ANY efficient way to train by myself?
4-I`ve played against a friend of mine that plays better than my brother. I can say my characters that perform best against him and CPUs are Marth and C.Falcon. Any tip to train with them, specially by myself?
5- Ledge=Edge?

I saw the guides, but i havent found any place where my questions were answered.

Thanks for reading

Pombo

wool

Smash Ace
1. Short hop fast fall L cancel = shffl = shuffle. Self explanatory. Basically you short hop, fast fall, then click L fully to eliminate lag. It is a good way to improve speed in your game.
2. Yes
3. Play against a lvl 1 fox and just practice all of your combos on him. Any higher lvl isn't realistic as they power shield too much, know that you are going to WD, etc.
4. Just practice...what I said in number 3.
5. Yes

Welcome to SB hope you enjoy it here.

shogun.

Smash Rookie
learn l-cancelling first
then shffling
then wavedashing
then work from there
go watch eor's training vids

also be extremely patient. i've been training my tech skill for over 2 years and i still suck at stuff.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
...I think learning to short hop would be the most basic of basic things to learn before you learn how to wavedash no?
I don't know if this guy knows how to do this since he hasn't mentioned it(or I missed it somehow)it's incredibly easy to learn and is needed for combos. Just tap X/Y really fast and then you can use your aerials without being far in the air.
Out of my own experience I'd say don't actually try to press the X button, brush it with your thumb moving to the side quickly, that's how I do it.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
L-canceling is THE most important advanced technique you have to master.
(which leads to shffl)

but yes, make sure you can short hop well. Practice with Fox or Luigi because they are pretty difficult to short hop with when you just start out.

btw, who do you main?

SDC

Smash Lord
i would also work on getting down shorthopping and learning the aspects of your favorite character. whoever that will be. i would watch videos of all the characters to see which one you like, and also look up a few of the character how-to threads

edit: lol crap double-post :s

keeper

Smash Champion
You can L-cancel (lag cancel) with L, R, and Z (at least, I think so with Z, I use R). Not just L.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106060
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

Watch these:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72556&highlight=advanced

well, if you can at first wavedash, everything else will come more easily. i suggest doing that first, but of course everyone is different, and you should decide what you want to do first. there's alot to learn, have fun!
I disagree. I learned the L-cancel first. I feel it's a better thing to perfect, or at least get down first because not everyone constantly WDs (albeit I do a lot).

Pombo

Smash Rookie
@Keeper: I know, but i feel more confortable by L canceling with L. Thanks anyway
@Shogun:Warning, the next period suck (i know that). I dont want to be the best, i want to be better than i am now.

Hmm i know how to WD, I havent mastered it.
same applies to short hop (but im better in short hop than in WD)
how can i know if L cancel worked?
Do you guys know a video where shffl was very important in the battle?
Btw, my favourite characters are Marth and Captain Falcon, im better with Marth but i like Captain Falcon more.

1-While you are shuffling, you can attack, right? I saw a Ken`s video with Captain Falcon where he made A LOT of short hops + Nair. Would yo say he was shuffling?
2-Should I Wd with luigi too? his WD is long and... easy. I hit it whenever i want (but only with luigi). This dont mean im a master, WDing is not innerent to me yet.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Pombo:
Yes, Shffling is used for aerials. It is the quickest way to perform an aerial attack. Also, practice L-canceling with Link's Down-Aerial. You should see the difference. If not, than try it with Fox's Dair, and L-cancel it into a shine in training mode. The "combo meter" should read about 4, depending on how many drills you hit. If it reads just 1, you missed the L-cancel. Thank you for choosing to go competitive. Head to the regional boards for Smashfests in your area if it hasn't already been mentioned.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
I learned all the techs alone:(. i sucks eggs, I would have at least half the time if I had someone to play.
yeah same here.. i had a friend that was getting good but he doesn't really play melee anymore.. so i play against CPUs my brothers, usually 2v1 with friendly fire off lol.. i have nobody good to playy

Pombo

Smash Rookie
O_O
I used to visit smogon (IMO, best pokeforum out there)
I used to visit Serebii (pokeforum that come just after Smogon, IMO)
I used to visit many forums.
But i never was so very welcomed ( is this right?)
Im surprised, you guys are veeeery cool.

@Dashuffla: i noticed the speed up while i was training shffl with Falcon (shffld Dair at fox (70% training mode) followed by a Fair)

LOL, call me reatrd if you want, but while i was writing "shffl" notied the SH FF L or ShortHop FastFall L-cancel thing =P

Top Bottom