• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new path to Glory.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It would only help marginally, if any, I would imagine. Most of Smash is physically getting used to reacting in certain way to certain situations. It requires the experience of playing, I would think, to unlearn Melee and learn Brawl.
This.

You don't know till you play :).

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Great article Hylian. You described my first experience with brawl perfectly. I felt like I had no idea what I was doing. Nothing that I tried worked.

However, I don't think you drew a thick enough line on what Melee tactics should and shouldn't be carried over. There are players out there who thrived on the deeper aspects of melee that reached far beyond L cancelling and Wavedashing.

I'm carrying over many of my Melee tactics into Brawl like Spacing, stage positioning, limiting options, character matchups and move ranges, etc. You touched on it a bit but it wasn't made clear that these are DEFINITELY melee tactics as well. It could have been made clearer that these are not specific to Brawl in the smash series.
Nice article

Edit: "A samus in melee would never do this, so many players might not even think of trying until they saw someone else do it."

I think this is a pretty important quote. Some 'competitive' players of Melee have difficulty understanding stuff like this. They watch other people do something and copy, so it was easy for them to jump into the competitive scene Melee had. These people, unfortunately, lack any sort of general fighting game knowledge though, so now they have to wait until they can see someone do various stuff in Brawl before they can play Brawl competitively. In the meantime, they seem to have nothing better to do than talk about concepts of which they barely have any understanding.

I think that point, though, is just a subpoint to the crucial 'Don't play Brawl like it's Melee' point you're making in the article.
I think you're being a little harsh on this concept.
In my experience, I have both created techniques and copied someone else's. There is nothing wrong with copying techniques. It's in the nature of playing to win and it is constructive in building skill within the community. A lot of crap gets filtered out when many players attempt the same technique. We figure out which ones were a waste of time more easily. Also, when people copy a technique it becomes more popular and when it becomes more popular it is countered at a much faster rate. So then, an improvement is made on that technique, see where this is going?

Other than for the pursuit of credit, It's a waste of time to try to be a true pioneer. Most of the time the gameplan will be laid out for you. Follow the efficient road and improve upon it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Great article Hylian. You described my first experience with brawl perfectly. I felt like I had no idea what I was doing. Nothing that I tried worked.

However, I don't think you drew a thick enough line on what Melee tactics should and shouldn't be carried over. There are players out there who thrived on the deeper aspects of melee that reached far beyond L cancelling and Wavedashing.

I'm carrying over many of my Melee tactics into Brawl like Spacing, stage positioning, limiting options, character matchups and move ranges, etc. You touched on it a bit but it wasn't made clear that these are DEFINITELY melee tactics as well. It could have been made clearer that these are not specific to Brawl in the smash series.

I think you're being a little harsh on this concept.
In my experience, I have both created techniques and copied someone else's. There is nothing wrong with copying techniques. It's in the nature of playing to win and it is constructive in building skill within the community. A lot of crap gets filtered out when many players attempt the same technique. We figure out which ones were a waste of time more easily. Also, when people copy a technique it becomes more popular and when it becomes more popular it is countered at a much faster rate. So then, an improvement is made on that technique, see where this is going?

Other than for the pursuit of credit, It's a waste of time to try to be a true pioneer. Most of the time the gameplan will be laid out for you. Follow the efficient road and improve upon it.

Wow, I knew I was missing something in my article :). Thanks for pointing it out. I had already written a lot, so I just kind of stopped. Next time I will write an outline haha.

And I will have tons of videos uploaded tonight :).

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Fantastic post, 10/10.

One of the most important aspects mentioned was thinking outside of the box. Almost all good Melee players got good doing one of two things (the best doing both). 1) Great players don't copy, but they find new ways to play with a character that allows for more effective play. 2) Great players master techniques that allows them to pull off their moves better, faster, and more effectively than other players. The best players do both; regardless, everyone forgets about the first aspect. People just copy playstyles and then don't realize why they're not very good; the reason almost always is because they play a predictable game which is punished by any competent player.

The same thing applies to Brawl. The best players will make moves for themselves, while the players that simply try to copy Melee's techniques to a new game will fall behind.

Top Bottom